Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

GbrushTwood posted:

Here's my new one. It's a nasty fidgety electro filth remix of Dada Life.

http://soundcloud.com/thevandalsquad/dada-life-fight-club-is-closed

This wasn't zazzing me too much until I put on some headphones. drat, it really opened up. Good remix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Hey guys check out this sick remix of "The Island" from Steve Angello of the Swedish House Mafia :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKou1y3toBY&feature=share

(But seriously, is this what passes nowadays? People accept this as a remix?)

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Is it me, or does the DJmag top 10 look like the lineup for an Insomniac massive?

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Kerk posted:

Why is this even a thing? Dude hasn't done anything groundbreaking or really interesting at all

Have you been to a college campus lately? This glitcy-electro (complextro if you want to sound retarded) chopped-noise sound is all the rage lately. He's probably the best and most recognizable name at it, and someone sees an easy opportunity to milk some cash for it.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

The Fresh Prince posted:

Have you guys seen that Skerrit Bwoy has become a Christian now?

"R.I.P to DAGGERING. U destroyed the lives of many. Now that ur gone, i see u for who u truly were. A seeming harmless act, a gateway to evil"

What the gently caress is happening :(

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Anyone heard the new Jack Beats?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd07t65co4M

I really dig their sound. They keep releasing good tracks.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I saw Madeon play live in San Francisco the other night. I really enjoy his remixes and his productions that I have heard, but I have to be honest and say that I came away from the set a tad underwhelmed. I know he plays live with Novation launchpads, and that is different from traditional live setups, but it left something to be desired. His transitions were sometimes awkward, but every song he played kept the groove going. I just got tired of the jarring transitions after awhile. Pop Culture sounds loving excellent on a large sound system, too. I was really disappointed that he didn't play his remix of The Island, but, oh well.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Threatis died? Wow, that really sucks. How did he pass?

OniKun fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 8, 2012

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Speaking of EDM crybabies and drama, have any of you seen this relatively new EDMsnob blog that recently popped up? He/she has had a couple of interesting things to say, and I'm pretty sure this is where the leak of a lot of big name people's riders came from.

It's at EDMsnob.com. I don't think I've really been listening to this type of music long enough to really form opinions on it, and I'm pretty sure the way I got started on listening to this music would make this guy/girl cringe.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Hijinkz posted:

Speaking of Madeon, he's playing at Pacha soon, should I go? I've heard his performances were kinda patchy, but that was early on. Am I right to assume that he's gotten better? Is it worth having to deal with the crowds/venue at Pacha to see?

I saw Madeon a few months ago, March or so. It was a good show, but his transitioning leaves something to be desired. It was really spotty at times. If you like Madeon's productions and his remixes, it might be worth the $30 to see him. I paid $25 and didn't feel ripped off, but sometimes his transitioning was incredibly jarring.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Stuntastic posted:

Gonna go ahead and stick this here for everyone else, Skream b2b Disclosure at a Boiler Room party in a suite at the W Hotel in London, some unreal tunes and a crazy new Disclosure VIP mix of Running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8WVP3ClDsM

I don't DJ, but this looks like the most frustrating set ever. Great set, but it seems like every two minutes yet another stranger is coming and playing with knobs and faders.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Feed Me and Ford Mustang are coming to town this week should I go (Y/N/Y WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?)

They probably played the same set the night before and the crowd will be filled with children, more than likely.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I'm going to this day drinking event in my city with a couple of friends, and I was looking at the flyer, when I noticed that Melee Beats will be spinning a set. Neat!

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

dj bobby bieber posted:

Whoa you were there? You didn't say hi?

That was a blast - my first two sets were mostly disco re-edits, it was an absolute blast. I hope they invite me to come back - that was a lot of fun.

Yeah, the whole day was pretty fun. That bar is a pretty good spot, one of the few in this dead city that can be full on a Friday night. Good sausages and good drink specials.

Sorry, I would have come and said hello, but I wasn't quite sure how to approach it. "Hey man, we post in the same thread on the internet sometimes!" doesn't seem like a very strong opener... great sets all around though! I left around 3:45pm so I didn't get to see the end of it all, but I was there for a good few hours drinking Radlers.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I didn't know 1015 Folsom had joined the list of horrible venues in SF. Last time I was there, that place was still pretty interesting, and still allowed smoking inside, which is a nice rarity in California.

Public Works is, by far, my favorite club in that city. They also bring in great talent - Seth Troxler this weekend, for example. I've also heard great things about Monarch and their famous soundsystem, but I have yet to make it there. Ruby Skye is totally awful nowadays, but sometimes you can have a good night there. If it's an 18+ show it's a terrible place.

Someday I need to move to the bay. Sacramento, where I'm currently located, is an EDM desert. It kills me.

Speaking of Seth, has anyone here seen him? I'm pretty excited to catch him for my first time this weekend.

OniKun fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 28, 2013

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

sorry, nevermind

OniKun fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 14, 2013

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Are you ever going to play another set in Sacramento? I dug the last set of yours I caught, and we get no good music here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Not only is it easy to make, but High School/College kids across the United States are eating it up, along with Trap/Dubstep oriented stuff. The fact that Insomniac and other companies throwing those massive festivals can pretty much repeat their lineup year after year (for a few years now) is a big sign of this.

I'm just glad that this whole EDM-blowup thing has brought out a lot of great music and opened new clubs across the nation that deal almost exclusively in House music. And, hell, I remember four years ago when I first started hearing house, Electro house was the "big thing," and I definitely ate it up for awhile, before moving on to other stuff. I say, let the new kids have their fun, with whatever they like. It's not for me, anymore, but it's definitely fun for them.

Ahh, looking back at my posts in this thread, I can kind of track my transition from baby candy-kid in college to house head. It's kind of funny, I guess.

OniKun fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 25, 2014