Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

So is this the right spot to try and discuss Acid? I've been listening to the new Ceephax Acid Crew (United Acid Emirates) for about a week solid. Any other Acid fans around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Firaga posted:

This is a pretty good mix I've been digging the past few days. This is about as electro as it gets.

perhaps I'm just some stodgy old purist, but this doesn't sound like electro at all to me.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

When I think of electro I think of TR-808s playing a stuttered beat for b boys to break to. I think of Aux 88 and DMX Krew and Mandroid and Arpanet and such. That sounded more like a modern evolution of house really to me. But like I say I could just be a stodgy old purist.

Edit: first thing I found in my YouTube favorites. Not the best but I'm on my phone at the moment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvnu7C2H4CQ

toadee fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 24, 2010

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

etard knievel posted:

When people say Electro these days they're talking about 'electro house' usually and not 'classic electro' even though it is a misnomer. Kind of like how people say Techno when they mean 'electronic dance music'...

I see. What's the tie in to electro? I mean, classic electro was very close to techno (in the Detroit sense not the general electronic music sense) instrumentally in the first place. If you changed the rhythmic structure to be more like house wouldn't you just have err, house? Maybe, slightly faster house?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Kristian posted:

I really can't see how electro-house is related at all to electro. It is just faster house with less vocals and more emphasis on a bass line. It really is confusing with electro-house artists and indie bands describing themselves as electro.

Does anyone know if the collaboration with cylob and dmx krew is more then a once off thing? I have been playing the Private life ep non stop since it got released.

http://www.privatelives.durftal.com/

Well Cylob and DMX are tied in closely with the whole Cornwall scene (of Vibert/Aphex/etc), so, who knows. Plus DMX is apparently really open and easy to collab with. A friend of mine from Bournemouth bought a synth off of DMX a couple years back and he's done a couple of tracks with Ed since (one of them called Bang the Gong is out on a WeMe compilation I think). There also is of course the DMX Krew remix of Rewind off of Cylob's Rewind EP if you don't have that.

JimmyJazz posted:

its the distorted synths and emphasis on the bass and drumlines. the connection is also one of image, loads of modern electro acts (and before them electroclash groups) try to sell that 80s rockstar vibe

Yeah I'm not sure that really ties in with traditional electro as much as some would think. The synth lines were basically straight from Detroit techno. Also, the "Rockstar" vibe isn't really what Electro was about, it was a B-Boy vibe.