Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had no idea MSTRKRFT has a new CD. I'll have to check that out.

Ladytron released a Live CD not too long ago. I honestly have to say I like Helen's live singing voice over the album one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CHRISTS FOR SALE posted:

Anyone who's even marginally interested in how House and Techno formed should watch Pump Up The Volume, a BBC-made documentary about how dance music, and later the rave scene, began. It is very Brit-centric, because it was made by the BBC, but there's a lot of the documentary that has to do with the American scene as well.
Pump Up The Volume (1/2)
Pump Up The Volume (2/2)

I'm not watching this just to see how much they talk about New Order. No, not at all.

It was pretty nice in the late 90s when Daft Punk, Prodigy and Fatboy Slim were the biggest things out there. It looked like Electronic music might be the next big thing. Then BAM! Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys out of nowhere, and it killed it. And ever since then, it's been kid oriented bubblegum pop since.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Threatis posted:

actually, those two scenes moved in tandem with one another. they were nearest neighbors for a loooong time. you'd have a car drive by you blasting "Let Forever Be" then "Bye Bye Bye".

It may have been different in other places, but Toronto seemed to completely dump one for the later very quickly. The Dance music station went from playing house and other electronic music to Boy Bands and Teen Girl singers almost over night. Well, I guess it's not that bad because I didn't have to hear Venga Boys anymore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Threatis posted:

??

soooo what you're saying is that albums like "the fat of the land" fall under the same heading as the Vengabus album? because, those were two entirely different scenes, and while the danish dance pop gave way to the spice girls, it didn't really affect stuff like The Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers.

edit: and for different places, I'm coming from the same neck of the woods (ottawa), and i really did not see what you're describing at all.

To me it seemed that one form of music was the top dog, and then it was replaced by another, which is normal, though It was nice to have something other than pre-fab pop bands.

And It really did feel like it changed over night.

And no, I'm not saying that they're the same, but when a musical style is popular because of some really great bands, there's a lot of poo poo that gets shoveled out by record companies. How many people remember how many lovely Grunge bands there were?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Threatis posted:

thats the thing: it didn't change overnight, because they were both running in tandem with each other for a majority of time. I'm not saying that you're wrong because our opinions are different, I'm saying you're wrong because the facts aren't even correct.

I never said that it was the fact, it's just how I remembered it. Though I can barely remember my own phone number!

Anyways, I got a touch now, so I'm going to need to fill 32gigs. Every New Order, Depeche Mode, Ladytron and Smith's album barely scratches the surface.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Instrument question; what is the box that often electronic bands have. It's about the size of a drum pad, but it has about 12 buttons on it.

I've seen these being used by a lot of bands, but it seems little more than an odd shaped keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Threatis posted:

that what you're talking about, or something like it?

trill rear end posted:

i use this thing.

Yep, those are what i'm asking about. Okay, I guess they bind a sample to the key, say something like breaks with different tones, and they play it like a keyboard.

Makes sense to me! Personally, I always wanted one of those electronic drum pads.