Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Let's* go Blackhawks! The Blues and Red Wings suck.

Man vs Child posted:

I think i've posted this before but this is recommended viewing for all babbys in this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWpAYtmsqqM Maestro - Larry Levan and Early DJ Culture.

That movie doesn't really tell you anything about the music. It's about the party spaces and Larry Levan's life as a DJ + weird Mancuso/Levan, Loft/Garage rivalry

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

that so shifty track is big

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Muttonchop posted:

So uh.. guess who's newest EP dropped yesterday?

I'm listening to it right now, and I have to say that Danger is definitely straying from his original "Final Fantasy" sound into dancier stuff.

It's not something I can make up my mind on just yet. On one hand, he's straying moving on into something different, on the other - it's his original sound that put him on the map.

It's a sad day when an IDM artist willingly drops his 'I'

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

etards been eating mushrooms with burned out hippies in the desert for years, dancing with goths with dreads and wear those weird pants that look kinda like jncos with connecting bits of fabric, scrubs

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Why has the term bloghouse not caught on with people into this style of music? Take ownership of your genre!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

threatis actually has pre-loaded mixes in itunes that he presses play on then does rails

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Threatis posted:

im banned from that channel. thanks curbcheck.

whoa, when did he hop off your dick? dude used to come in phiz and just namespam you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

etard knievel posted:

Why would you hide your drugs in peanut butter when you have a perfectly good rear end in a top hat?
I agree with Manoli, the vibe tends to be better at smaller parties, or the more remote festivals where everyone's camping out in the woods and going crazy. But massives are something that should be experienced at least once.

what about the desert?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

That is loving awful. The whole charm of the original is the toy piano and Gyptian taking it slow. I can barely discern the riddim.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Furnace posted:

My theory? Viper and his pals probably have very basic and introductory tastes in electronic. Their tastes are fleeting in the sense that they like the artist du jour. 2006 was daft punk, 07 was Justice, 08 and onwards has been Deadmau5 with a smattering of Benassi, Tiesto, and Guetta, I imagine.

Not hating on you, Viper, but the more you post, the more it's evident (to me at least) that you come from a narrow point of view when it comes to music and its standing in the populous.

It's like that dude in the Love Parade thread in GBS who said "techno peaked with Kraftwerk."

EDIT: SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA

DOUBLE EDIT: Atrak literally just tweeted this: "Every time I stay at a hotel in Hollywood on a weekend I hear Dutch house playing outside."

I love being from Montreal.

I saw Justice do a DJ set in Chicago New Years Eve 2008 and I thought it was a pretty uninspired set. But, to be fair, bloghouse isn't really my thing and there weren't very many people over 21 at the venue it seemed like (no lines at any of the bars).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

VenomHowell posted:

I actually really dig those. I could see that music really being great to listen to early on in a night of dancing or just as the sun comes up. Very calming, although I do find the female vocals in this style of music to generally be a bit on the samey side.

That being said, I adore Kaskade's style, but I find his new CD incredibly samey. It's possible I find the genre as a whole samey? I don't know.

Who cares man, this poo poo's for dancin'. I don't care if it's simple or complex, new or old, popular or underground, if it makes me want to bounce it's drat good in my mind

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

L-VIS 1990 owns

quote:

lvis1990

Steve aiokies tour manager just punced me in the face! Lollllllll

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

RollingBoBo posted:

Is there anyone that sounds like rusko but that goes a little bit harder?

No one goes harder than Rusko.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

TWSS posted:

King Cannibal takes issue with your statement and has issued a response.

King Cannibal - Flower of Flesh and Blood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8lZwEJRL24

King Cannibal - Hundred Eyes Closed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjLMP_7y4A

King Cannibal - Badman Near Dark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBayyRvlUN4

lol way to go, man.

Filthier than fingering your own sister and finding your dad's wedding ring.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 5, 2010

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Ras Het posted:

Interesting statement...

lol yeah a lot of the stuff in top 40 is basically Eurodance beats from 2000. The Taio Cruz backing track sounds the same as Ian van Dahl in a lot of areas.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

melee beats posted:

I'm not sure (maybe I have my genre definitions wrong) but a lot of this stuff sounds like straight up slowed down trance. Its funny because if this was like 8 years ago everyone in the mainstream would poo poo on it because its rave music

Whatever you want to call stuff like Alice Deejay, Ian van Dahl, DJ Sammy, etc.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Stigmata posted:

I'm sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask this type of question, but I was thinking of heading up to Chicago for Deadmau5. I want to check out both nights, but will it just be the same set for the most part for both of them? I can deal with a couple repeats but if so I'll probably just go Saturday to see Booka Shade.

lol why would you even consider seeing Deadmau5 over Booka Shade, let alone if you're gonna go for a second night of the same act.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Stigmata posted:

Booka Shade is opening for Deadmau5.

Oh wow, has Booka changed their music style since I last listened to them a couple years ago?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Mr Viper posted:

yes please, oh god yes

uhhhhhhhh who?

Egyptrixx rules you idiot.

EDIT: To be fair, I don't know why Egyptrixx is there

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 3, 2011

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Uhhhh, will.i.am is cool and you probably are a child if you dislike him.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

PatrickDomino posted:

gently caress. Yes. Lil Silva has been gaining a lot of my attention. Anything on Night Slugs appears to be a golden hit, but Night Skankers EP is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye6srC23GZs (His best track in my opinion, doesn't usually go with my typical electro house vibe, but it is sick)

He was being sarcastic because UK Funky is only an emerging genre if you're a scrub who isn't aware of musical trends.

Not that Lil Silva isn't cool.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Vernacular posted:

^^^who cares?

Is the name of his new album "Amateur Hour"? Because there's no other way to describe somebody who a) has the only copy of his debut album on the laptop that he carries with him while traveling around the world, and b) regularly has computer problems while playing in front of crowds of thousands of people and doesn't care to fix it.

Is also a racist:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Stuntastic posted:

Anyway digging through some old Mad Decent podcasts I have I found Mumdance's Different Circles mixtape which opens up with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6JZEN6eWT0 which is p. much the direction I find my tastes moving in more and more recently, or away from bloghouse and more towards this kind of poo poo and dancehall and moombahton and other stuff that is actually danceable instead of just being the flavor of the month. I don't even know what to call this, "world" electro I guess? Synthwave? Boomkat and Beatport aren't much of a help here. I need more poo poo like this and Calypso and whatnot

I don't want to pick on you, but what is your conception of dancehall? This thread is not exactly fertile breeding ground for people who are into actual dancehall.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

That's not really pertinent to ANTIMISANDRIST's point, though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Nagget posted:

That didn't answer my question but was so eloquently put that I cannot possibly rebut, but I have interviewed Sonny Moore and I think he's a total twat and the few times I've interacted with Guetta he's always just absolutely wreaked of talentless douche. I am however curious as to what Threatis considers "good" electronic music.

It's getting to the point where it seems like everyone here hates a DJ/Producer simply because they are popular? Afrojack sucks? Laidback Luke sucks? A-Trak does the same thing over and over? According to some of the posters in this thread I have only scratched the surface of "good" EDM and I am looking for some suggestions. This isn't an attack -- this is a request.

Is this a joke? Threatis is the biggest Diplo stan in the world.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Any fest that has junglists at it is probably a cool fest.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Do you not know what reggaeton is or what?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

That's soca in the same way that Major Lazer is dancehall

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

http://mastahpiece.com/

Go register on their forums and browse the soca (or chutney) riddims (or singles). There's really no good way to stay up to date so it takes a lot of Youtubing to decide which ones you like.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Haha why the gently caress would you ever pay $100 to go see a DJ?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Funny thing is, James Blake is really boring instead of just obnoxious.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

blumpkinbliss posted:

I've been under the impression that I've been listening to minimal for a while, and the only name I recognize from your list is Villalobos. I've been super into the German labels Dial and Laid (both started by Peter Kersten) and a lot of the more minimal guys on Kompakt and Mule (I always thought Gui Boratto was considered the sort of super-star of minimal, which is why he gets away with not being particularly minimal on occasion). And a lot of that stuff I mentioned above is pretty heavily house-influenced. Am I totally off base? Or is there room in the genre of "minimal" for house-y stuff?

Isn't Laid an imprint of Kompakt or something? Anyways, I really like the Smallpeople release on Laid. Very deep house.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

d0grent posted:

Remixing Tetris has got the be the most tired idea out there in the world of remixes.

Legend_of_Zelda_Theme_Dirty_Electro_Remix.wmp3

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Is there any cred to be gained in a thread like this? This is where I go to see what's hot for freshman in college.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

infinity2005 posted:

That track is basically hardstyle.

Yep. Maybe it'll blow up among Dutch and Swedish teens

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Who gives a gently caress. He isn't relevant in the dancehall scene.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

For all you crazy dubsteppers out there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGrRob5WRVU

This guy Sung Ju is a bass resampling god.

Go gently caress yourself.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Flaky Biscuit posted:

Also, there's already a dubstep thread, why didn't you just post this in there?

Honestly the aesthetic of that track fits in much more here than with what is talked about in the UK Bass thread so I'm not going to fault him for posting it here instead of there.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Oof. Bro lineup to the max. It's a shame Katy B is so low on the billing and I don't know what she hopes to get out of this other than a little money. I wonder who her DJ(s) will be. I can't imagine Geeneus doing something like this. Maybe Skream and Benga will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lmao I didn't even notice New Order on there. What the gently caress are they doing there?