Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lmao wait is big room house used seriously as a term by people now (re: this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vkyr_VzYAE)? It was always a term of derision in the past. Just like shiny shirt house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The Fresh Prince posted:

Theres usually something good on Rinse.fm

Rinse isn't going to have anything like he wants.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm listening to a Norman Cook set from Global Gathering in 2006 and holy poo poo I forgot how good dance music was before it became all about drops and who had the fattest sausage. Seriously, when did drops constantly become the norm? I can't tolerate Big Room House, and that seems to be all it is. Is there any serious push away from it in the mainstream?

Are you kidding me?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

No, every set including poo poo by Norman Cook these days has been all about how many drops you can jam into something, it's awful and it trades keeping up a high energy for just kind of cheap thrills. This obviously isn't literally every set, but it's a shitload of what's headlining major festivals these days.

Oh my bad, I was under the impression you were aware that numerous clubs in large cities around the globe have quality DJs every weekend.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

guppy posted:

I haven't listened to much house in the past but my interest is growing. Hopefully I'm not setting match to powder here, but what should I be looking at if I want to know what the undisputed deep house classics are (rather than brand new stuff)? I know this is probably going to mean DJ sets, which is fine, and I'm happy to pay for them. If I can get them through Amazon MP3 so much the better. Individual tracks are fine too but I just don't know where to go once I've heard those.

http://halfisenough.com/

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Sccucci Mannucci is a really good label.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Duke Dumont straddles that line between house and pop really well and I feel like we haven't seen that since the early 90s. This in particular reminds me of several Black Box tracks.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Vargatron posted:

First of all, what specific genre does this fall into and what would be some good stuff to branch out to in the same vein?

Zapp & Roger worship.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

foutre posted:

I'm trying to experience my Midwestern heritage and get to know Deep House better.

Does anyone have a playlist or primer they'd recommend that would be good to get into it?

Actually, I don't have a constructive reply to this post that wouldn't be mean, but I think you might be able to help me out. For like the past year I've noticed EDM bros start using the term "deep house" incredibly incorrectly and seemingly for any type of 4x4 music that isn't "EDM." Can you give me examples of what you think deep house is and/or attempt to articulate what it means to you? This whole phenomenon is really confusing to me because, initially, I was really pumped that people were getting into deep house but then I just realized that the term essentially meant nothing in the contexts in which it was being used.

EDIT: Unless that was a fakepost or whatever.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I can no longer tell what is and is not a fakepost in this thread.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Deep House as it exists in the mainstream (here in the UK at least) is totally different from the actual sub genre that has been going long before the radio stations and marketing executives decided it was the term to slap on anything and everything that sounds like dance music.

Consider for example Ministry of Sound's Deep House collection, which features the likes of Disclosure, Rizzle Kicks and Gorgon City who all fit into the Deep House tag as it's used currently but not into the pre existing sub genre.

It's not being a dick asking to differentiate since there's a big difference between actual Deep House and tracks which are closer to EDM but are given the Deep House tag due to it being something of a buzz term.

Actually, I had a conversation with someone and he suggested that Disclosure's Latch is probably a good example of what a lot of people consider to be 'deep house' and I think that is probably a correct understanding.

Anyways, I might've posted it in this thread once already to the exact same question, but here is a blog that answers your exact request: http://halfisenough.com/

EDIT: Yep, like 3 months ago http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238075&pagenumber=218&perpage=40#post428453113

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 23, 2014

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Or, you can use Derrick Carter's very esoteric definition

quote:

Any 40+yo heads from Chi, knows that "deep house" is what we used to call disco. "Beat music" was everything else.

It had to do with going deep into your collection and musical history.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

To be clear, house generally hangs around 120-125 BPM so that's the rule not the exception.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

The problem is that what was deep house 10-15 years ago sounds almost NOTHING like what people refer to as deep house now. The same goes for a lot of genres really.

Well, it's not that. It's that it's such an arbitrary sub-genre to suddenly be popular (at least as a buzzword). Like, even though I loathed what happened to it, I could understand how people would consider Skrillex et al dubstep. I am genuinely confused and interested in how this contemporary appropriation of 'deep house' came about, which was the point of my initial point.

Also Moodymann forever.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Hm, interesting, I've never read any social theory or semiotics so this is quite new.

The point is that I'm interested in the process not the end result of the phenomenon.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

I figured it was "deep" from like "deep" dubstep (versus brostep) cause I saw it kind of emerge from "post dubstep/future garage" slowly switching over to playing/making housey stuff. I definitely noticed it in London first. But that could be tunnel vision on my part. And this might be a New York centric thing but for a while you would hear real actual deep house in sets with it like a year or two back.

Speaking of dumb genre semantics where do you draw the line between NY/NJ Garage and Deep House? Is there even really a difference?

I don't know (I bet plogo can help out if he's around), but I really love this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbNbNy96fZ8

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

88h88 posted:

"early 90s EDM"

I read that. In this thread.

EDM was a generic term similar to electronica before it came to mean something sort of specific now.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Because the people who go to EDC and those types of events don't give a poo poo about any of that?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lol I'm sorry is it like 5 years ago?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Loaf30 posted:

Yeah Pin-Ochio is just one of those tunes I hadn't heard in forever and had to add for nostalgia's sake. Here's a few more.

Cubic 22 - Night in Motion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1bfSG8v0j8
Edwards & Armani - Acid Drill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMsPsnaSqYc
Pink Stanly Ford - A New Style Baby https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RKRT-w3j2o
Gener8 - Unity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6a8EBwzVLs

In one of your posts you mentioned 2 Unlimited and KLF. There were a few lesser-known groups that produced similar music such as Captain Hollywood Project, Culture Beat, Real McCoy, Snap, and Black Box to name a few. You might check them out if you haven't already.

Snap!, Black Box, and Real McCoy are like the standard for Eurodance, not really lesser-known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

There are thousands of great disco mixes, I don't see what sets it apart from a Danny Tenaglia, Frankie Knuckles, or Francois K mix. It's enjoyable mind you, but nothing out of the ordinary.