Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Mr Viper posted:

I'd also highly highly recommend Fake Blood's Essential Mix.

Love this set so much. I'm a huge fake blood fan, I'd pay a lot of money to see him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Blinn posted:

I went back a few pages and didn't see it so forgive me if you've already gotten this post but-- holy crap 'Something A La Mode' are the next godly electro band

They play violin and cello and produce music as awesome as these:
5am:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP7kyC30cR0
Gstring:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BW5HTvBNj4
Feel good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc0wYHhAOmE

Thread delivers, this is wicked.
If remixed really dirty for the dance floor this would be pretty crazy.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Awwww shiiitt. Calvin Harris, Laidback Luke, and FAKE BLOOD march 20th. :dance::hellyeah::dance:
Oh man I'm probably not going to survive that night. There are other awesome djs there too like boy 8-bit and nero but those 3 are the reason I'm there.
Anyone in Toronto or around that doesn't know about the show its Digital Future at the sound academy.
It's going to be a wicked night
The weekend after I'm going to a DnB party with Andy C and Ed Rush, then the week after that Armin Van Buuren comes for the 10th anniversary of A State Of Trance. I have no idea how I'm going to survive march.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Cyril Sneer posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

Lots of good stuff going on in March, especially with Canadian Music Week (for those who like indie stuff). Electric Six is gonna be crazy fun too.

On that note, there seem to be quite a few Toronto people in this thread...where do all yall go for shows? Do any of you guys actually play here?

The Guvernment usually plays big names. Footwork as well. I'm seeing Sydney Blu at footwork this Friday. Cosmic gate was at the guv last night (I was sick). Jelo is going to be playing at footwork at some point in April. Deadmau5 and Infected Mushroom were here recently. Both played at the guv. Dubfire played last weekend.
The Social has electro nights on Mondays. There have been some bigger djs there like MSTRKRFT but usually its just a night of a local dj spinning electro (which is awesome).
I think Justice played at circa last year.
Really your big go-to clubs for electronic music are The Guvernment and Footwork. Both play big names usually every weekend and are pretty awesome. The guv can be annoying sometimes because they pack people in and I'm a dancer so its hard to find space in the main room. Footwork is usually a great time. Good go-to for electro. The Social is awesome but its monday nights so I almost never go :\
There is also a place called This Is London but its like 23+ so I can't go yet.
Oh and comfort zone which spins house. I haven't been but I hear its alright. Just reaaaallllly sketchy.
I'm usually out every weekend, you just need to get "into the scene" and you're gonna be wondering how you can afford all of these shows.
Toronto has a wiiiicked electronic music and party scene.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Cyril Sneer posted:

Oh, I'm well aware of the Guvernment and Circa...been to both many times. I was more looking for places that play good current stuff, but aren't necessarily part of the big tours circuit.

I've seen lots of posters for Footwork but I've never been.

That's monday nights at the social. you can request songs and everything. too bad its monday nights....
I'm looking for a club that spins the "hits" on weekends too.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

MzKzM posted:

Jack Beats Essential Mix was aired two days ago... Everybody ought to check it out.

This EM is amazing. I'm going to be listening to this for the next week at least.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
This is a pretty good mix I've been digging the past few days. This is about as electro as it gets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtovqcYKW2Y

track list:
1. Make Her Say- Afrojack
2. We are Rockstars - Does it offend you, yeah/ Cold Blank
3. I got The power - Jakz
4. How i like it - Diplo & Afrojack
5. Moombah - Silvio Ecomo & Chckie / Afrojack Remix
6. I like that - Richard Vission & Static Revenger / Luciana
7. Fancy Footwork - Chromeo / Crookers Remix
8. I like to move it in here - Moby / Crookers Remix

Also Wolfgang Gartner is probably one of the most wicked djs at the moment. Just sayin'.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 23, 2010

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Really? Have you been following this thread at all? No offense or anything...
edit: show me some electro

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

toadee posted:

When I think of electro I think of TR-808s playing a stuttered beat for b boys to break to. I think of Aux 88 and DMX Krew and Mandroid and Arpanet and such. That sounded more like a modern evolution of house really to me. But like I say I could just be a stodgy old purist.

Edit: first thing I found in my YouTube favorites. Not the best but I'm on my phone at the moment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvnu7C2H4CQ

Oh I see. Shows my age, or yours, however you want to look at it haha.
And it is basically a modern evolution of house.

toadee posted:

I see. What's the tie in to electro? I mean, classic electro was very close to techno (in the Detroit sense not the general electronic music sense) instrumentally in the first place. If you changed the rhythmic structure to be more like house wouldn't you just have err, house? Maybe, slightly faster house?

Beatport has a pretty good description:

"As the name implies, electro house encompasses primary elements from both the electro and house genres. While maintaining the straight 4/4 beat structure of house, electro house incorporates elements from the electro sound, such as sharp melodic analogue synthesizer hits and basslines. As with house music, vocals are also sometimes a part of the electro house sound. The tempo for electro house is often slightly accelerated from standard house, residing somewhere between 125 to 135 beats per minute (BPM). The foundation for electro house is house music, which itself is founded on multiple genres including jazz, funk, disco, soul and r&b. House was established in the 1980s in Chicago and New York in the United States by artists such as Larry Heard, Frankie Knuckles, Loose Joints and Larry Levan. Electro house came into prominence in the mid-2000s after the electroclash scene brought a pop sentiment to electronic music. With electroclash's incorporation of indie rock's use of electronic equipment to create its sound, indie rock had unintentionally become an element that affected the evolution of electro house. After the electroclash sound had run its brief but potent course, the distilled pop effect is what resulted in electro house. Electro house is designed for the dancefloor and has gained interest from both the indie rock crowd and traditional house fans."

So yeah its basically faster house with "electro" sounds that's made for the dance floor (progressive).

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I'm going to be throwing a non-DJ/dance event for a friend's bday soon, it's a smashing event where we take old TV and monitors and smash them for fun :woop:. I need some aggressive electro music that pumps people the gently caress up to smash poo poo. Any recommendations?

So far I've got :

Justice - Stress
The Rogue Element - Escalation
Bloody Beetroots - Anacletus
Bloody Beetroots - Ill to Destroy

I need more :\

Check out Wolfgang Gartner, Boys Noize, Fake Blood (only some of it would fit what you want, but look through his stuff), MSTRKRFT, and maybe Danger.
Also I'm gonna get reamed for this but FML by Deadmau5.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I stumbled upon a DJ(s?) named Felguk today, I'm surprised I haven't heard more of his stuff in this thread. I'm loving these tracks.

Side by side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbV4JS2hFnM

Soundpusher - Milk & Honey (Felguk remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcxKAjveAe4

Buzz me (original mix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej9u5mYUwVA

Neelix - Disco Decay (Felguk Mix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh53AJfmaLo

Also anyone from Toronto go see Sydney Blu at Footwork on Friday? It was a wicked show, she played a killer set and I'd love the tracklist. If you missed it, you really missed out.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 2, 2010

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Man vs Child posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EVQNepeQhc Monsieur Adi Remix

Quoting dis' cuz its insane. This track is wicked and it just got me into trouble with my SO. I linked this to her raving about how awesome it was and apparently shes been trying to play me this track in her room/my car for a week now and I've been zoned the hell out every time. Oops. :downs:

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
My friend whos not into electronic music at all showed me DI FM a few weeks ago. My mind was blown. For anyone that doesn't know, http://www.di.fm/ is a free (pay for better quality) internet radio for electronic music. There is tons of filler but you can catch some wicked sets sometimes. And the best part is you can actually go on the forums and find the set and track lists really easily.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Man, my head would probably explode at Ultra... it keeps getting better and better. Well, I know where I'm going next year for vacation.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Heads up for the Toronto crew, Wolfgang Gartner next Saturday at The Social. Last call is 4 AM :cool:
Can't wait, very excited :)

I also saw Adam K on Friday, what a crazy set.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 9, 2010

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Lysis posted:

So pissed that I missed this. Thought it was in may for some reason.

I went to Paul Oakenfold on Saturday and he was a MASSIVE disappointment. 2 hour set, the first hour of which was a snore-fest. Crowd was poo poo too.

Once Manzone and Stong came on though, the night picked up tenfold. Those guys are so versatile and SO underrated.

edit: they also play my favorite song atm, quadrillion remix by moguai. The drop at about 3:30 is a total floor leveler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSbPArByEQA

Wow, as much as I love Manzone and Strong, hearing that they destroyed Oakenfold's set is pretty surprising. I didn't end up going because I could barely move after Adam K. I feel better now haha. Mark Falco surprisingly put on a wicked set, he dropped La Samba at the end which was just killer. Adam K DESTROYED the place though. Deko-ze was pretty good but he came on after Adam K and by then everyone was dead. I wish I could get Adam K's set from that night.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Dono posted:

TURBO P - AWWW poo poo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAjEDhECHho

Loving this track so much. One of my buddies is a known local DJ, I'm going to show this to him and see if I can spread this poo poo into Toronto. I wanna hear this get dropped on the dance floor :cool:
I can totally see this being remixed.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 10, 2010

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Awwwww yeahhh I've been waiting for this for a long time. It's going to be one hell of a night.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I saw deadmau5 he put on a sick show and the crowd loved it and I like his albums am I a pleb

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
hey can we talk about electro someone drop a sick track

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

vossi posted:

holy poo poo. Over 20 new posts so I thought we have a new heads will roll (atrak) or smth but noooo it's like 2 pages of loving deadmau5 bashing which is completely loving unrelated to anything.

make a thread finally threatis, go ahead - maybe dedicated him a homepage if you hate im that much. it's really getting ridiculous and nobody gives a flying gently caress anymore.

let's return to music, awesome people and positive stuff.
Dirty Disco Youth - Dim Mak signed young DJ who was born in Vienna and now works from Hamburg released his new EP - minds.. OFF. Pretty pushing if you want to party - maybe someone digs this.

here's his soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dirty-disco-youth

Dirty disco youth is pretty bitching. Check out some of the remixes of Brains... OFF there are some really good ones out there.

Not sure if this has been posted yet.
Starkillers - Bitch rear end Trick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdTdVBjsTs

Loving this track so much, amazing beat.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
jesus loving christ shut up

for the sake of an awesome thread before threatis showed up, I'm going to post this track again because these guys don't get enough love.
Felguk - Side by Side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbV4JS2hFnM
Two dudes from Brazil.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
It wasen't just Calvin Harris. The supporting djs before annie mac trainwrecked too. and Luke right after his opening. drat technical issues.

Either way he was really good. Annie Mac just blew me the gently caress away. I was really surprised. I want a tracklist of what she played, that was the dirtiest electro ever.

Luke was amazing, my gf was on the floor when he dropped gangsterdam and undertaker. He's her favourite dj and shes been in love with those two tracks for weeks now so you can imagine her reaction.

Fakeblood, eehhh he was really good but I was pretty disappointed. His levels were hosed up, crowd got a little bored. Still awesome set but he could have worked the crowd much better. Little boots remix was amazing though.

Boy 8-bit was really good too, I left near the end of his set because I couldn't move from dancing so hard. I just wish he played Baltic Pine. Well, the full thing. I think he sampled it.

I was the guy with the green/orange glowsticks destroying the dancefloor. I think I was the only one with glowsticks there, I was dancing haard all night, usually near the back. My gf is a tiny 5,0 blonde girl. I'm sure you saw us at one point :)

Firaga fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 21, 2010

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Lysis posted:

I think I'm going to skip decadence this year, though. The David Guetta crowd combined with the fact that I have exams to write are not making it look too appealing right now. Plus, you just know that Guv is going to overfill the poo poo out the place.

I'm skipping it, I was pretty disappointed but its pointless to go. It's 70 bucks and its going to back wayy over packed. I won't be able to move, let alone dance.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
gently caress David Guetta. I live in guido central of the greater Toronto area, I don't need that poo poo on my dance floors.

gently caress Guvernment for overselling their shows. I want to go see Armin but jesus christ 70 bucks to not be able to move and I can see Deko-ze, Jayforce, Manzone and Strong, and Mark Oliver any weekend. The rest of the lineup isn't anything special...

thArf ASOT 450 is what we are talking about :)
Its airing first in Toronto at a club that likes to pack people in so hard its impossible to move sometimes. (I actually love the guv its just too much sometimes)

And I'm digging PeaceTreaty, gonna follow these guys and see what they come up with. This is pretty much a textbook example of my taste in electro. Lots of breaks and dirty beats woooo

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
i'm gonna go as turbo p next halloween you better be famous by then I want to wear a sheet with a happy face on it. :effort:

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Its Friday, new Annie Mac :dance:
this amazing track was played last week and it's been stuck in my head ever since.
Audio Bullys - Only Man (Reset! mix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW8fMmhFAcc

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Pres that set looks wicked. Hot hot tracks, if I could mix that would probably be my current set list!
Awesome!!!

Also gently caress all you Ultra people :(

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Can we talk BBC Radio 1?
Essential mixes and Annie Mac have helped me expand my house/electro library, and they are always mixed amazingly well. I found a ton of great tracks and DJs just through these two shows alone.
I usually find myself listening to an EM or an Annie Mac show rather than a play list or a mix from somewhere else. My favourite EMs are Laidback Luke and Fakeblood, but I'm sure I'm missing a ton of amazing ones considering the show has been going for years.
I show Laidback Luke EM to everyone who is even remotely interested in house. I love that mix to death.

As for Annie Mac, the last two shows have been absolutely amazing, and for anyone that hasn't heard last Friday's show I suggest you do it before the end of the week!

So that being said, can anyone recommend a good EM or a good Annie Mac episode?
I was listening to Boyz Noise and MSTRKRFT the other day and while mixed amazingly well, they were slow and kinda boring. Maybe I just didn't get far enough into them? (about 30 min or so)

Also for any trance heads, Armin's EM is nothing short of incredible.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 30, 2010

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I've heard Jack Beat's, I loved it. I'll check out the ones recommended here. And yeah Mixriot is an amazing website.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Lysis posted:

There are a lot of great resources on the internet too. I can upload a really great intro-to-ableton-DJing tutorial if you want. It's really ridiculously easy once you know what to do.

I'm interested in this. Or if anyone can suggest some good tutorials. Maybe I should post this in the ableton thread haha.

Also whats the deal with tech-house? It's played EVERYWHERE here and has a wicked groove but half the time its pretty boring. Am I missing something? When I see electro/house/prog house DJs they all destroy the dancefloor but everyone and their mom plays tech house. I don't get it. Also I'm hearing a lot of electro badmouthing.
Is this some penis waving dj poo poo I'm not getting?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Man vs Child posted:

The newest comp from MOS that was mixed by the bloody beetroots and the aston shuffle got leaked recently and it's loving awesome.

Wow this track list looks iinnsane! what exactly am I looking at?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Xesis posted:

Buraka Som Sistema's essential mix is up for download here (it aired on BBC1 last night) - http://tinyurl.com/burakaessential

This EM is insane... enough said. Wow

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Iraff posted:

Yeah. It's sad, because I think he's sort of talented, and he has a few awesome songs (I love "Arguru" and "So There I Was") but a lot of his poo poo is just boring as gently caress.

I think its pretty chilled out. If I want floor breaking house music I have plenty I can listen to. I can listen to his albums front to back, I just gotta be in the right mood. His live shows are amazing though and the crowd goes insane.

Also, that set-up owns. Love his sense of humor, as silly and nerdy as it may be and he is very vocal with his fans.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 20, 2010

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Designer drugs are awesome.
Here are some mixes they released for free, I love them. Very heavy electro

Ghost Mix Vol 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?lvctqdimyt2

Data Mix 08
https://workersinstitute.box.net/shared/yqqkngno0o

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

etard knievel posted:

Firaga: Is Designer Drugs a group? When I went to see them it was just one dude spinning. Either way, sick shiot.

Its two guys, not sure why it was only 1!

Slippy G posted:

Listening to the Data Mix and yeah this is fantastic

Data mix 09 comes out May 5th!!

Also One by Swedish House Mafia has been around for a few months already. This track needs more marketing and hype, I can't wait to see the killer remixes that come out of it.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I hear King of Africa everywhere here. Its a good track but people are playing it in fidget sets, electro sets, deep house sets, tech sets, you name it.
Buraka Som Sistema played it in their EM too.
Speaking of which, everyone should listen to that set.. it was posted a few pages back and can probably be found on mixriot.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
This page is amazing. Thanks everyone!!

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I know this was posted a few pages back, but One by Swedish House Mafia needs more love. I heard it for the first time live on Friday at a club and it KILLED the dance floor. This track needs to be heard live to really appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO0HZYNAsF4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Pretty much exactly what Dono said.
Really heavy hitting track, WICKED bassline, and its very progressive (it IS prog house, which is why its a little trance-y) but has a very strong electro sound. It's not overly produced to the point where its cheesy, but the production is top notch.
As for repetition, when its mixed live at a club with samples and everything its much different. First of all no real DJ plays tracks front to back all the way through. It's gonna get cut up a bit, and mixed.

Also,
Cookies With A Smile - Dada Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6ZWW3RvZt0&feature=related

Silliest lyrics ever, but that's expected from them. The drop is absolutely massive though.