Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Threatis posted:

aaahahahahahaha 7 minutes of this poo poo?

Ya, I actually just rave in my buddies basement and his brother queues up a playlist. Sometimes we put stuff on repeat, 7 minutes? More like 14 minutes :smug:

Favourite remixer? Fake Blood, by far. Love his style.

Also Riva Starr's album kicks rear end. I heard it for the first time yesterday. I'd love to see him live, the man has a sweet groove.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

incoherent posted:

Mele I just so happen to have live footage from last Saturday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OPsH06fnA8#t=4m

Amazing, we have something like this here too, just everybody is Chinese for some reason (Guvernment).

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

incoherent posted:

In a world.....

...where top 40 reign supreme.....

.......and and good ecstasy is hard to come by..........

...................theres..................................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeWrDFzTBLY

House: The movie.

Comming 2010.

Lmao what the hell is this.
Although now that I think about it, a modern documentary on house would be pretty interesting I think.

quote:

nothing good has ever come out of French Canadia
A-trak is from Montreal :)

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Lowbo posted:

The fact that you can mix out of it when you want doesn't really excuse bad arrangement. I want the songs that I play to be listenable in their own right.

The Swedish House Mafia gets a lot of hate because they make such shameless pop house. Some people aren't down for it. I waver back and forth on them because as a DJ, all their songs just wreck crowds. That's what they're good at doing, and they have it down to a science. As a music listener, I think they're kind of lacking artistically.

Like if I heard One out I'd probably be pretty stoked on the atmosphere but its so generic I get bored listening to it outside of that setting.

Pretty much this. I give them a little more credit artistically but otherwise my point is pretty much the same. When I heard this track dropped last week I didn't stroke my chin, I loving danced, and the whoooole club blew up. this track is a banger, play it, watch the floor get destroyed. Its not that hard to "get"!

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Threatis and Turbo P, awesome sets.
I wasn't too fond of Major Lazer > Gorillaz, sounded off beat. But otherwise the set was great, not usually a fan of hip hop remixes.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

MzKzM posted:

god i love the "new" barbara streisand track (probably been posted a couple of weeks ago, but here we go again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0W4NXIxFEI

This is by a DJ from here, he's also a pretty big promoter. He hosts a monthly event and changed the lyrics around to the name of the event, and turned it into a theme song of sorts. It's pretty cool, I hope more people pick it up because it's going to be a while before sample clearance is done!!
Went out last week to see him, totally killed the dance floor when he dropped this.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

incoherent posted:

Isn't this pretty much a dick move? The song is held up, and some dj remix the track and leaks it. (Doesn't sound a whole lot off from the original thats been floating on youtube)

Yeah I don't know what the deal is. I thought it was a little weird. I don't think he's making any money off it, and apparently A-Trak blogged about it or some poo poo so Ducksauce is cool with it.
The theme song remix is a cool idea though and works really well so I give him credit for that.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I never understood why we never have this kind of poo poo in Toronto, or anywhere in Canada. That looks absolutely insane.
It doesn't make sense, our scene is completely massive, I mean hell, half of the world's biggest DJ's come out of Canada. But nope, we're limited to dirty basements in alley ways.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I love my dirty basements!! Going to the best dirty basement hole-in-a-wall this Friday. But I want some fuckin' pyrotechnics once in a while.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Came to post boy 8-bit EM, stayed for Underworld. Amazing.
I wasn't too into boy 8-bit when I saw him play, and now I'm kinda regretting it :(

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Fell in love with this track when I heard it on Boy 8-Bit's EM.
I'm not even sure exactly why! It has a wicked groove though

choo choo all night long

Visti & Meyland - Yes Maam (All Nite Long) (Trentemoller Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9YaRXvG2ps

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Vernacular posted:

peep the don diablo remix, i really like what he did with it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8tGoe8Fis&feature=related

Loving both remixes to death. Amazing stuff.

Can anyone say anything about Mustard Pimp? They are gonna be here later this month and I'm wondering if its worth going out and seeing them spin.
edit: I like their stuff but I dunno how well they preform

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Pres posted:

Amazing! Thank you for these, I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of the swedish house mafia set.

Edit: After listening to the SHM set, I'm really disapointed by it, some of the transistions are terrible and they come on the mic so much and just yell WOOOO EDC and ruin the flow. :(

They mix like 4-5 songs at the same time I'm not sure how much smoother you wanna be!
That set is loving crazy good and I've been listening to it for the past 2 weeks.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Mr Viper posted:

he's absolutely right. I was so bored, it's the same thing I've seen the last 10 times I've seen deadmau5

What happened to him playing only original stuff? I only heard the first little bit of his EDC set but he was playing C'mon by Diplo and Tiesto.
Granted it was basically remixed with all the heavy effects but is he starting to actually play other people's music?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Speaking of Rusko... He's coming to Toronto with Crystal Castles, Sinden and Destructo.

Yay or nay?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Threatis posted:

saw them in ottawa a few years ago. Alice kept jamming dudes in the front rows head up her skirt then she ran to sidestage where me and my dude were standing, jumped on my back and rode me around the stage while screaming into the mic.

basically it was one of the best live sets ive ever seen.

Amazing, loving sold. 30 bucks to see the 4 of them is pretty good.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Ewar Woowar posted:

Stumbled upon Reboot the other day, can't believe I'd never heard his stuff. loving awesome.

Has he been around a while?

Yeah, legendary. Its not really my style but man this guy is a crazy producer.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Riot.EXE posted:

Hi...just came across this thread, and I'd like to contribute another blog for the OP. I run one called "Tracks on the Daily", and House music (As well as Drum & Bass and Dubstep) is heavily featured on it (but, of course, not the only thing there). Give it a visit if you like, and thanks in advance if you do. As for now, I'm going to lurk this thread more...just wanted to contribute something first.

Thanks but it would help if you had some content first... I read and follow a bunch of different blogs, what does yours bring that others don't have? If you're going to be posting the same bangers everyone else is what's the point.

The problem with the genre is its overinflated with garbage because anybody can fire up ableton and spend a few months learning how to make a beat. I would have something to show before you present it...

And for the love of god we don't need any more blog house. We have enough steve aoki remixes to last us for the next 10 years.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Riot.EXE posted:

:words:

I looked through some of the archives. You've got a pretty good taste in drum and bass, can't really say anything about dubstep because I dislike it for the most part.
You have almost no house in your blog, just a few things here and there (lots of deadmau5, I like deadmau5 but everyone knows who he is). Also lots of random video game music and other genres.

You seem to have a pretty strong idea of the kind of music you like, which is cool, but the only people I can see reading this are ones that like electronic music but have no idea what they are listening to... like your facebook friends.
Even with dnb its mostly big names that a fan would otherwise know.

Just saying you should maybe think about who your target audience is. The blogs in the OP and the majority of the people in this thread are not. I read house blogs so I can find tracks with the sound I like, that aren't on beatport top 10.
Netsky and B-Complex and MSTRKRFT and Wolfgang Gartner are household names for fans of the genres.

My advice? First and foremost break your blog down. I don't care about all the metal/hiphop/jrock/videogame bleep bleep. Lemme filter it. Also, you should probably take some time to learn the differences between house, and maybe go see a DJ set or two so you have a good idea of what the djs and/or producers are trying to create.
You seem pretty modest about your knowledge of music, just understand that with this genre taste is everything and you're marketing what you're posting to the wrong crowd.

Anyway no more derailing, here is a track that is pretty spot on with the sound I'm really into nowadays. Techy, but almost funky house. Lots of groove, big breakdowns. Lots of looped synths for tasty layering.

You Got - Patrick M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5cZsogiwEE

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Aniki is awesome. He has a track called Feel Good up on the electro beatport top 10 chart that I'm really digging.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5irhxljcs

We need more electro HOUSE. More loops and hard synths less cheese

This is also on the charts. Good week (in a while) for electro.
Spencer and Hill - Sunbeam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9TGCtx8w1o

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
This mix was posted on planet turbo (Tiga is the man) and I'm really digging it, especially towards the end. Very interesting sound.

http://soundcloud.com/lektroluvrecords/hey-today-dj-mix-aug-2010

Tracklisting:
1. SIRIUS MO - EINMAL DIE WOCHE SCHREIEN // MONKEY TOWN
2. ZINC - NEXX // ZINC MUSIC
3. PARA ONE - TOADSTOOL // SOUND PELLEGRINO
4. GONZALES - I´M EUROPE (DJEDJOTRONIC) // BOYS NOIZE REC.
5. BOY-8-BIT - YARD BIRDS // TURBO REC.
6. MATHEW JONSON - SUNDAY DISCO ROMANCE // WAGON REPAIR
7. ROK - CYCLE SLUTS // MÜLLER EC.
8. SOVGNER - BREATHLESS (ALEX GOPHER) // GO 4 MUSIC
9. BOYS NOIZE - NERVE (HEY TODAY!) // BOYS NOIZE REC.
10. DJEDJOTRONIC - BIT THIS THIN // BOYS NOIZE REC.
11. GREEN VELVET - HAMMERGEDDON // RELIEF REC.
12. HEY TODAY! - STRANGE // LEKTROLUV
13. STYLE OF EYE - PUSS (NOOB) // REFUNE REC.
14. TIGA - YGWM (HEY TODAY!) // TURBO REC.
15. PAUL CHAMBERS - YEAH TECHNO (BORIS DLUGOSCH EDIT) // PHANTASY
16. HIS MAJESTY ANDRE - GETAWAYS // MODA MUSIC
17. HEY TODAY! - TALK TO ME // TURBO REC.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
The whole genre is very subjective. A lot of it is finding something you like and building upon that, discovering new things. It's not like other genres of music where for each style you got X artists and X albums. It's hard to just give somebody a list and go "here listen to this" and have it represent the genre as a whole.

I mean there is the go-to well known names, but even producers tend to change up their own styles and sounds. The best part of the genre is that there are so many producers and so many sounds out there, you can push someone in the right direction but its up to them to find out their own tastes. Although at the same time, with such a large sample, quality (and taste) tend to vary greatly, which is why this thread breaks out into flame wars so often.

That's kinda the whole point of being a DJ in the first place, having your own style, sound, and vibe.

With that being said, I dislike the majority of the music in this thread, and really just read it for the discussion.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

cubicle gangster posted:

I dont think it's subjective, it's because 'accompanying genres' has turned into 'all electronic music'.

I was actually referring to just house and its subgenres (electro, tech, prog, deep, etc)
The subgenres break down even more and thats where the tastes tend to vary. The subgenres aren't usually uniform... they may share certain qualities to distinguish them apart from each other but they have a lot of different sounds going on.
Like for example, I spin mostly tech house/techno but a lot of it bores the poo poo out of me.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 15, 2010

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Haha they came here over the weekend (Toronto right? :P), it was an all ages event so I skipped out. I can't even imagine what that was like with all the candy kids.

Some of our promoters here are really strange. AvH was here and nobody said a goddamn word. And they booked Booka Shade on a Thursday to play at a club that has a weekly Friday event that always fills up? Oh and lets not forget Riva Starr at a top 40 club filled with people that didn't know what the gently caress and a bunch of older dudes in business suits.

Oh well Avicii and Boy 8 Bit on Halloween. I'm missing Steve Lawler and Carl Cox but my buddies are really aching to see Boy 8 Bit.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Lysis posted:

What?? Where is this?

Avicii at This is London on Friday the 29th and Boy 8 Bit at Wrongbar on Saturday the 30th.
Lawler and Cox are headlining Guvernment main room. Oh well, Lawler is here all the time anyway.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I've never seen Avicii, what should I expect? I have no idea considering how varied his productions are. I'm taking some friends from out of town, is it worth it? Otherwise I'll probably hit up something else.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Lysis posted:

A lot of fun, from what I remember. He played a sunrise set at skybar over the summer. Comparable to Steve Angello in terms of song selection, but, again, my memory is pretty hazy. TIL would be a great place to bring friends from out of town, though, and it's going to be bumpin for Avicii for sure. You can bet on a lot of attractive women being there.

Right on, I'm pretty excited.

cubicle gangster posted:

Lawler is average at best, it's cox that you should be going to see - he's one of the best dj's ive ever seen.

I'm a big fan of Lawler's sound. I would love to see Cox too, my point is that at the very least Lawler tends to drop by quite a bit. I probably won't get a chance to see Cox for a while though.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Honestly I would go and get one of Guetta's live sets (probably more recent), give it a good listen, and if it's your thing pull up a tracklist and do the same with some of the other artists he uses in the mix. Or just download more Guetta sets.

But as already noted, this isn't an album driven genre so it will be pretty hard to find that. Everyone also loves those names and honestly they are pretty unique, thats why they spilled over into the masses. Except Guetta he sucks.

I guess Trentemoller, Boys Noize and Booka Shade. Check out Danger too.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
For all you Toronto people out there, Embrace just booked Skrillex at Wrongbar for Dec 1st. I haven't heard much from him (not my thing), I just know hes exploding with his EPs.
I thought he produced electro though not dubstep? The party he was booked at is a dubstep weekly... I know one of the guys who runs it, and even though he does a great job of throwing a huge party every week, I don't know why they didn't book him for a Friday or Saturday night at a higher capacity club...

Firaga fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 27, 2010

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Hawtin on Nov 18th and Tiga on Nov 26 :hellyeah:
I'm also playing a gig in London Ontario mid November, this is looking like a great month.

Also loving Popof right now and I'm very sad I missed him. His basslines are so drat good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0EVDDoZKmw

Here are some more tracks I'm loving,
In Out Life (The Groove) - Alex Tepper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=361z7pX4F_M

Whores - Antranig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdxRFGfd7yw

Firaga fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 29, 2010

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

i hate popof

he puts me to sleep - no idea why

:qq:

I'm the same way with Dubfire. I love him with Hawtin but I can't get into him on his own.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Hooooly crap Avicii played one of the best sets I've heard in a while. He played everything from house to trance to techno, his mixes and loops are spot on, and his track selection is incredible. He picks apart songs and mashes them together.
Bromance closed the trance part of his set and he played the new remix, mixed it into the original, then brought the remix back. So good.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

cardedagain posted:

this is a shot in the dark, but I figured maybe somebody here might know what the soundtrack in this ad for the new album by rapper Curren$y is.

http://vimeo.com/16450517

Boys Noize - Oh! (A-Trak Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCrCeoUJDPM

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Not sure how many people are into techno and tech house here but can anybody recommend any labels like 1605? I'm a huge fan of Respekt Recordings too.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Hell yeahhhhh two tickets to Tiga in my inbox! I've been waiting a loooong time to see him. I'm so excited.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Stuntastic posted:

HARD NYC Turkey Soup? Gonna be nuts.

Actually this Friday in Toronto, although I'm extremely jealous of NYC's lineup.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Been hammering both of these tracks since they came out, not surprised they are in the charts, I love 1605 so much.

Umek and Jay Lumen - Popgirls (I had a meltdown when I heard these two were making music together again. Rah Band was simply amazing. I love that almost disco-y sound in this track.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyDYWfXOBVY

Fireball - Christian Cambas (Now this is my kind of techno, the intro and bass drop at 1 minute is probably one of the best I've heard in a long time. What an amazing production. Great breakdown too without getting too housey.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GI57mR9uNw

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Yeah so Pryda's new EP is stunning. Not that I really expected anything else. Illusions is one HELL of a track. Now if only we got some more Cirez D.
It's really upsetting that he may never do a North America tour but I'm hoping I can catch him in Europe one of these days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7dAuamNqkE

Also Afrojack finally released Replica. When I first heard it in his EM I just about lost my poo poo, only to find out it doesn't exist. This final version added a synth line to the final drop which makes it even better. I don't normally dig electro (although this borders on progressive), but this tune is MASSIVE. This guy has a lot of talent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfg8CMWeUAU

Oh and Umek's new track on 1605 came out, big banging tune... definitely going to drop this on NYE. Those vocals make for perfect mix in/out points. REALLY maintains the energy levels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V-751O2LnA

Manuel De La Mare (easily one of my favourite house/tech-house/techno producers at the moment) released this house remix bomb called Solid. Such a wicked bassline. A little hard to mix out of because its pretty heavy with no real outro but this is one of my favourite house songs in a while.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVzfQfOQx8k

And for any tech-house fans, check out the Nim EP by Steve Slight. Two amazing tracks, make an excellent bridge to build progression or to close/start a set. Too bad its not on youtube and frankly I'm too lazy to upload them, but they are worth a good listen.

Finally a request, I want some Pryda mixes! His em is a little dated so I would love to hear a recent Pryda set. I guess I can google but I wonder if there are any floating around people can recommend.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

The Fresh Prince posted:

Does he sample Pon De Floor in this?

Hahaha I don't think so? I guess that's supposed to be a joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Haha well to be fair Pon De Floor sounds like something Afrojack would produce. I haven't seen him spin but I bet he hammers the poo poo out of it.