Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
Can someone recommend me some dark tech house? Kinda like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnYPMcfSUQU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Firaga posted:

Speaking of Rusko... He's coming to Toronto with Crystal Castles, Sinden and Destructo.

Yay or nay?

I think I'm gonna go just to support Crystal Castles. See if they really live up to their reputation of being absolutely awful live.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Threatis posted:

saw them in ottawa a few years ago. Alice kept jamming dudes in the front rows head up her skirt then she ran to sidestage where me and my dude were standing, jumped on my back and rode me around the stage while screaming into the mic.

basically it was one of the best live sets ive ever seen.

fuckin sold. I hope they do something special for the hometown crowd.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

OniKun posted:

I just found out Sander Van Doorn is going to be playing a club in San Francisco in a month for $15... That's a pretty good deal, I think.

Soo much fun live. Happiest DJ I've ever seen in my life.. highly recommended.

trill rear end posted:

That made absolutely no sense to me.

Meaning new the Daft Punk is going to overshadow any discussion about your tracks, but honestly I'd rather listen to new Turbo P than a movie score any day.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Threatis posted:

just got back from seeing diplo. holy poo poo. was on stage with him the entire time. need to put all my clothes through the wash twice to take out the sweat.

bar none best show ive ever seen.
Totally glazed right over the fact that he played in Toronto on friday and I'm so gutted right now.

Unrelated news, I saw Grum last night at Wrongbar in Toronto. So much fun! Really intimate venue.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
edit: nevermind!

Justin Timberwolf fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 28, 2010

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

incoherent posted:

Oh come now, its not like yolanda be cool is getting premo-time spots.

We've seen worse douchebaggery from people riding on one track.

Implying that Swedish House Mafia weren't a well established group before 'one'?

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
I'm so big on Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs and I don't see nearly enough love for these guys. His production is so varied, and yet always on point. So much talent.

I posted "Garden" a few pages back and it got a lot of love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1HNnxb0WE

Here's a few more of his tracks that I really dig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3d7T14GcLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b6CNnjb3t8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qtne-KNlbc

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
I wonder if there's a page in this thread that doesn't feature the word 'deadmau5' on it...

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Firaga posted:

Aniki is awesome. He has a track called Feel Good up on the electro beatport top 10 chart that I'm really digging.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5irhxljcs

We need more electro HOUSE. More loops and hard synths less cheese

This is also on the charts. Good week (in a while) for electro.
Spencer and Hill - Sunbeam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9TGCtx8w1o

This is a good post

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
HAha I'm so pumped that I get to be the first to post this. New Die Antwoord music video with probably the best cameo ever http://pitchfork.com/tv/%23/musicvideo/8418-die-antwoord-evil-boy-cherrytree

Rukes posted:

Skrillex says hi, just got EP 2 mastered. Also wanted to say that Skrillex shirts will be at the merch booth for the shows (i'm guessing he is getting an online store set up to sell them too).

How's the Deadmau5 crowd been reacting to Skrillex?

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Mr Viper posted:

What are you guys thinking of the new Magnetic Man album? I'm loving it, and I haven't played it enough timed to be sick of it.

It's so totally meh I can't even handle it.

Gettin super pumped for James Blake's album though wooooohaaaa

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Firaga posted:

Oh well Avicii and Boy 8 Bit on Halloween. I'm missing Steve Lawler and Carl Cox but my buddies are really aching to see Boy 8 Bit.

What?? Where is this?

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Firaga posted:

Avicii at This is London on Friday the 29th and Boy 8 Bit at Wrongbar on Saturday the 30th.
Lawler and Cox are headlining Guvernment main room. Oh well, Lawler is here all the time anyway.

Cool, I've seen Avicii and Boy 8 Bit already so I'm gonna go check out Carl Cox with some coworkers who are big fans. Should be interesting!

edit: yo curbcheck/whoever else knows: How do you get the highest possible audio quality on youtube?

Justin Timberwolf fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 21, 2010

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Firaga posted:

I've never seen Avicii, what should I expect? I have no idea considering how varied his productions are. I'm taking some friends from out of town, is it worth it? Otherwise I'll probably hit up something else.

A lot of fun, from what I remember. He played a sunrise set at skybar over the summer. Comparable to Steve Angello in terms of song selection, but, again, my memory is pretty hazy. TIL would be a great place to bring friends from out of town, though, and it's going to be bumpin for Avicii for sure. You can bet on a lot of attractive women being there.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Volvagia posted:

Yeah good on digitalism for taking their time and all, but 4 years to make an EP of (presumably from the clips) straight bangers? The bloghouse ship has sailed for everyone but suburban 16 year olds by now.

Which is the most profitable demographic to appeal to

phractured posted:

Was I the only one who didn't know that A-Trak is the brother of David Macklovitch (from Chromeo)?

Yep, just you.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

delicious beef posted:

Weren't Daft punk supposed to be doing a world tour either this year or next, or did I make that up?

It was a big hoax last year that they were going on a world tour this year.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

vibrantglow posted:

The news section of their own site says they are going on a world tour in 2010 or 2011 (at this point, seems more like the latter).

Well there was a massive ticket scam based around a Daft Punk world tour in 2009, look it up it's not hard to find.

That being said, Daft Punk playing with Phoenix is a pretty good sign that they'll be touring at some point in the future, after Tron comes out.

Also, Quebec sucks! TDot for life bioottcchhh

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I've been lurking and I'm curious; could someone give a reason why deadmau5 is so disliked by this thread? I've always thought his stuff was okay but not offensively bad and have teased friends for being really into him. Is it just that he's perceived as mediocre but inexplicably popular and thus deserving of hate or is there some deeper reason to it.

Really annoying fanbase and a lot of dick moves that are well documented on the internet thanks to his nerdiness. You don't see this thread up in arms about Tiesto's bland music that he pumps out on the regular, for example, but every time Deadmau5 takes a poo poo the internet knows about it so it opens him up to a lot of hate. His life is highly publicized and highly observed so people like to poo poo on him because they think his music is unworthy of such a rabid fanbase. But it's just music, y'know? Who gives a poo poo? Why making a 'bad' song should be the cause for such outrage is beyond me.

Also, he snubbed threatis at a party once.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
ommgggg we've had this conversation a million times now. when is it gonna stop? This thread might as well be called Deadmau5 and accompanying genres megathread, he's mentioned on every page for god's sake

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Pacra posted:

Honestly there should be a separate deadmau5 thread for bitching/talking/etc. and talking about him in here should be probatable

Can we please do this?

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
The "did someone say deadmau5? I FRIGGIN HATE THAT GUY!" megathread

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Threatis posted:

naw man. because i dont PRODUCE. i'm not allowed to say that a producer is basically sucking the life out of EDM through his boring, lifeless, and flat productions.

hahaha omg calm down dude, it's not THAT bad

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

trill rear end posted:

I have ghostwritten for artists before. way more common than you would think.

This is blowin my mind right now. Do they keep the structure/main riff and build on it from there or do they just fully push out someone else's production?

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
Whoooaa the whole EDM scene is a lie! Just big names do this or everyone? Have you done it Melee?? FESS UP

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

kholdstayr posted:

I am interested in getting into electronic music. I know about Ishkur's guide to electronic music but I am still not sure what I should try to listen to. I think though that generally I would like to listen to music that is more melodic. What electronic music should I try out that has a more melodic flow to it, as opposed to just constant looped bass and beats that don't have much of a melody to them?

Find a DJ you like and grab his mixes/podcasts

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Okay guys, I'm pretty new to Electro House but my friend from Germany is gradually getting me into them. I'm not sure what the dos and don'ts are yet, so pardon me if I like some DJs that are particularly laughable.

So being a fan of Trance and the like, I had found Deadmau5 quite a while ago. I'm not so familiar with his older tracks pre-For Lack of a Better Name, but I'm a fan of most what I hear from him. I could see him being classified as "too mainstream" though.

Find a DJ you like and grab his mixes/podcasts. If you like trance and electro try Gareth Emery's podcast, it's typically really good.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
Yeah it's super new wavey. Too bad, I liked the direction they took on In Ghost Colours a lot.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

infinity2005 posted:

Are there people not bored of that track already? It's repetitive as gently caress and overplayed. Hardly 'go down in history' territory here. It's just another anthem along the lines of 'Put Your Hands Up For Detroit' that will get forgotten about. One only got to 7 on the charts here, not particularly good when the most popular House tracks have been higher, or even number 1 like David Guetta.

I went to see Calvin Harris/Steve Aoki a couple months ago and they played that song literally within and hour of each other. On the same stage.

Both sets were crap btw.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
Afrojack used the pon de floor synth like 10 times this year

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
Kerk, that stuff is really awesome for only a few months of experience.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Kerk posted:

Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback :)

Heres another track I just finished, the sample choice is pretty cliche but I tried to make it more interesting and cut it up instead.
http://soundcloud.com/cream-dream/funk-you-very-much

Very cool, but I think you need a better sample library for your percussion! :D

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Stuntastic posted:

Skerrit Bwoy showed up at the Skins secret launch party in NYC, along-side Kill the Noise, Drop the Lime, Sleigh Bells and Rusko, snapped a picture with him and a friend of mine (clearly I'm in the Moby shirt because there are no girls on the internet :jerkbag:):

How were sleigh bells live? I'd imagine something similar to Crystal Castles.

Kerk posted:

Thanks guys! I definitely agree with your suggestion of percussion, Im currently just using the built in drum kits in Ableton to make my beats so its limited.

Do you suggest sampling sounds from other tracks or buying those sample packs they have online?

The Vengeance sample packs are really cool. You can find them pretty easily on the internet. I've hear good things about Goldbaby too. http://www.samplemagic.com is good, and a lot cheaper if you're looking to pay for stuff.

Justin Timberwolf fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 16, 2011

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

The Fresh Prince posted:

JFK knows how to control the gently caress out of the crowd.

I dunno, when I saw him he just played a bunch of crowd-pleaser electro house. Enjoyable set, though, don't get me wrong.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Cyril Sneer posted:

O M G :aaa:

Cut Copy. Toronto. Sound Academy, April 7th. Ticket presale on now, I just grabbed 3.

Saw these guys at Circa two(?) years ago and it was easily the best show I've ever been to.

Have you heard their new album? It's a big departure from their last two.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

quote:

The promoter states that it has "introduced" a "Get Up and Dance Crew" that will prevent people from sitting on walkways and dance floors

Also known as "bouncers"!

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Volvagia posted:

Isn't that the track that's literally just a synth riff from a vengeance pack over and over?

lol yeah it definitely is

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

metalhead posted:

related links->discovered dorian concept->mind loving blown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5sQd2FsBpc

Yeah Dorian Concept is a boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdRP3dQ9QOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROVZf-WTb18

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Dono posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for some good trance? Not sure where to start, but if anyone has any good sample sets that would be nice.

TATW, as recommended above and Arty all day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48LX8-Ko2aA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Longtiem posted:

look at this sucker

repackaged electro gimmick flavour of the month-core