Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Howdy,

Last year I ran a couple of Choose Your Own Adventure style games in GBS (Sword of the Bastard Elf and Void Racers) which were pretty popular in GBS. I was using the name Gilganixon then. Anyway I decided to write a full gamebook and after getting it to a polished draft I've put it to Kickstarter. The idea is to raise money for illustrations - I'm going to do half of them and an extremely talented Goon artist is going to take on the other half if I can pay him.

The book's called Star Bastards and it's a sci-fi adventure set in a distant and weird part of the galaxy. You play as either an incomprehensible Polish space explorer on the run from the law or as the police officer tasked with bringing him in. It looks a bit like the old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks although the game mechanics are different. It weighs in at the traditional 400 paragraphs and the slightly less traditional 100,000 words and will have at least 24 full-page illustrations. The kickstarter is for a digital download version only.

Here's the front cover of the book:

Please have a look at the kickstarter page and if you can get past the ropey video (it's really not my thing and I only did it with intense reluctance) maybe you'll find a project worth backing there. I'd sure appreciate it!

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/678938810/star-bastards-a-two-fisted-fantasy-gamebook#project-faqs

And here are the links to my CYOA threads for anyone interested:

Sword of the Bastard Elf

Void Racers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

BonoMan posted:

Who did the art for the "Friendly locals in Star Bastards" concept art pic? Because that should be the art all the way throughout.

I did all the art with the exception of the big picture of the space station and the crocodile standing in front of an explosion. If the kickstarter fails I will do all the art :)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

djwetmouse posted:

In honor of this post i did a quick illustration of a space goon about to be murdered by a robot.

It's not showing up but
if you just draw 12 more of those we're in business

e: ahahahaha

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 25, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

After my last ignominous failure I launched a second campaign, and this one seems to have been a success so far:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twofistedfantasy/star-bastards-a-two-fisted-sci-fi-adventure-gamebo/

It's an old-school adventure gamebook set in a futuristic sci-fi setting. Since every character in the game is a horrible jerk it's also darkly funny. I think it's a good continuation from the gamebooks of the 80s and 90s but it fixes a lot of what went wrong with those - there aren't any game-ruining arbitrary decisions, the fights are quick and allow for some strategising, and the the paragraphs are a bit longer and more descriptive.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Ahoy!

I'm running another Kickstarter for my CYOA books which started on these forums. This one's called The Sword of the Bastard Elf and it's off to a pretty good start.

It's mostly a single-player gamebook like Fighting Fantasy but it also includes a RPG system for 4 players and a dungeon master. The thing will be about 600 entries long and be fully illustrated by me.

Anyway please check it out if you have the time and inclination.