Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

quote:

pipes!note

If you are looking to plug your project and get funding from all the deep-pocketed dorks out there in goonland, post it here. Put a little effort into your post. This should be obvious, but you should explain what your project is, why others should care enough to give you money, etc. Think of it as self-promotion that also isn't shitposting!

If possible, keep it on Kickstarter - they have an excellent system for keeping both sides of the equation honest. As with the Work for Hire/Freelance & Non SA Contests thread, this thread only serves as a contact facilitator and Problems with payment/services rendered are not Something Awful LLC's problem.

If you have any questions or concerns, please direct any questions to me, and not ExtraNoise, as I'm the one changing the direction of the thread. Original post follows:

:siren: Goon Projects! :siren:
Kick a buck or two to these guys.

Jay Tholen to record Sermon; his first studio LP. Avant-Pop with a pinch of Zeuhl.

Life in the Rust Belt - A Story of Decay in Photography

Successful Goon Projects of the past
Because we can do this too and these are proof

Project: Death Race - Full Beta Release

Saving a Piece of 1972 - This is mine :)

:siren: Got a project you want pimped here? :siren:
Just post in the thread. Or if you want to keep your name (listed on Kickstarter) anonymous with your forum's account, just PM me and I'll be happy to keep it a secret.

Alright, so I searched high and low through this forum for anything relating to Kickstarter and turned up nothing. I was just introduced to this website today and I am absolutely blown away at its potential. I'm hoping I didn't overlook something (I even checked GBS)

http://www.kickstarter.com/

From the website:

quote:

Kickstarter is focused on creative ideas and ambitious endeavors. We're a great way for artists, filmmakers, musicians, designers, writers, athletes, adventurers, illustrators, explorers, curators, promoters, performers, and others to bring their projects, events, and dreams to life.

We know there are a lot of great projects that fall outside of our scope, but Kickstarter is not really for soliciting donations for causes, general business expenses, or raising funds without a specific goal.

It's a lot like those other "give me money to help me do so-and-so thing" websites out there, except it has a focus on creative efforts. Instead of paying your donators back when your new business becomes awesome, you do creative things based on how much a specific donator has donated to your cause.

For example, you might send someone a personalized postcard for a $5 donation, but might travel to someone's house and play an acoustic rendition of Stairway to Heaven in the donator's living room if they donate $1,000. It appears to be all up to you.

I can immediately think of three or four things I'd love to give this a try with, and I thought everyone here might be interested too. The only catch is you have to get an invite to actually start a project. Does anyone here have an account with invites? Please oh please someone here have one!

At the very least it looks like a LOT of fun to see other people succeed in their creative efforts. There's tons of bands looking to make their first EPs or people wanting to hike all over the country. It looks completely open-ended for any type of project. It a project doesn't meet its requested financial goal, then no one is charged and everyone goes home. It's interesting to see under the "most popular" sections what projects are getting more than 100% of their funding and which ones are falling on their faces.

Tips & Tricks
I'll be expanding this section as this thread continues to grow.

There's a bunch of things you can do to keep your project fresh and building donations. Here's a quick list of the best techniques:

- Offer a lot of different incentives, not just two or three.

- In may seem counter-intuitive, but a minimum donation amount of $1 is a good way to get more donations in many cases.

- Use Twitter to broadcast your project. Make sure to include the @kickstarter tag in the tweet so that the folks at Kickstarter see your updates!

- Don't rely on Kickstarter solely! Talk about your project with friends, family, and coworkers

- Be enthusiastic in your project description and updates -- other people want to see you care a lot about it before they donate

- Update often! This not only attracts new donators, but it reinforces current donators (and they may raise their donations) and helps attract the eye of the Kickstarter community

- Use this thread to promote!

Edit: :siren: I am all out of invites! Now that we've got about a dozen goons signed up with invites, just post in this thread and I'm sure one of them will send you one to start your dreams.

Many thanks to John Adams. :)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Anomalous Blowout posted:

During the school year, I work with a program that funds art projects for special needs students. I'm not sure exactly what I'd come up with yet, but I would love an invite because I'm sure I could use it for something.

atlacoya at gmail, thanks! :)

Invite sent! Hope you can find an excellent use for Kickstarter and your students.

esteimle; what's your e-mail address?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Alterian posted:

I'd like an invite if anyone has any.

Sent!

darwin posted:

I'm a funder for the Designing Obama book. Don't know if you guys have seen that drama, but basically they promised that the funding would include shipping costs. When people ponied up their $50 or $100 donations, they were then asked to pay additional shipping of almost $20 domestic. It diluted into kind of a clusterfuck and I still don't know what the outcome is going to be.

Left a real bad taste in my mouth.

I only heard a little about that whole thing. Sounds like it was really a failure on the fundraiser's part and he should live up to what he promised. I looked over Kickstarter's policy though and it looks like he doesn't really have to. What a dick move on his part. To be honest, I don't think there's anything Kickstarter can do other than ban his account.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Holy crap that's a fabulous idea. Do you still have invites? I'd like one. I can't help but wonder if this could help me actually do more things creatively.

Lord only knows what I'll do first, but whatevz. I'll figure that out later.

I would like to, after my first project, start my own game by using the money to pay a programmer. I'll be able to provide art and direction. And it will be glorious. (Low-budget glorious, but glorious nonetheless.)

What's your e-mail? I still have two invites.

Edit: vv Sent! Think of something great, and have fun!

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 6, 2010

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

ODC, did you get an invite? Kickstarter is bitching at me about you already being a creator?

I love reading your posts in the game developer's thread, so it would be an honor to help with your new startup. One day I'm hoping to follow in your shoes and I plan to use Kickstarter to do it.

Rizie, if ODC confirms that he is joined up, I'll save my invite and send it your way. :)

Edit: vvv Well then, we've got quite a little Goon Kickstarter community forming. :3:

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 7, 2010

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Has anyone started a project yet?

I'm still polishing off the video for mine. I'm pretty nervous about starting it since it's more of a personal project and less "let's save all the starving children in Africa" sort of thing. I'm hoping it garners a backing the same way that people wanting to take overseas trips does.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Well guys, I did it. I am ridiculously exhilarated and absolutely positive this will fail, but it is so exciting nonetheless. I know that I'm at least trying.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66215766/saving-a-piece-of-1972-0

:banjo:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Since this thread is growing, I thought I'd be a good OP and updated the original post to include active goon projects. If you've started one and want it listed, either reply to the thread or PM me and I'll be happy to add it. :)

I'm glad to see this really growing. I just hope it works as well as we all hope it does.

My project is 8% funded! :toot:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Cheap Shot posted:

God dammit. I didn't know this thing was US only. I was all excited too! Why does Amazon hate Canada so much? We're right next door!

Find a US-based friend to act as a Proxy. :)

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

deathonwheels posted:

Finally got my project launched. Our band needs to come up with $3000 in 60 days so we can pay off our producer and get our album mastered, then share it with all of our awesome fans.

We do hip-hop/rock with lots of electric violin, and you can visit https://www.allkindsofgravity.com to check out some (very old) demos.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/allkindsofgravity/the-all-kinds-of-gravity-debut-album if you want more information about our project.

Thanks to everyone sending out invites for Kickstarter! You guys rock.

Added you to the original post. :)

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Added both of yours to the OP! Glad to see you've already got a bunch of contributors! Let's keep this going!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

The kind folks at Kickstarter gave me an additional 10 invites for being so cool (:c00l:) so I'd be happy to start distributing more here in the thread.

Anyone want to kick me a couple bucks on my project? ;)

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Updated the OP and donated to the cause. :)

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Just wanted to let everyone know that Twitter is actually pretty useful for Kickstarter. I have my doubts about Twitter but it really pulled through today when a blogger selected my project as the "Project of the Week" for his blog. From there it was retweeted a few times.

I was so excited I retweeted it myself and then it was re-retweeted (is that a thing?) by a VW dealership in Seattle.

Good stuff, Twitter is.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

My project is down to the last three days with only $90 left. It looks like (hopefully) I will make it. Pretty exciting, I had no idea how it would do when I started!

Check it out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66215766/saving-a-piece-of-1972-0

Have any of you other goons started anything yet? I still have six invites for anyone interested.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Thompson and olblue - your invites are on their way! Sorry for the delay in seeing this thread!

ODC posted:

ExtraNoise, congratulations on getting your funding.

Thanks, ODC. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Pezz3D posted:

I guess I'm a bit weary of committing myself to writing up a presentable blurb about the project I have in mind but I wanted to see if I could run my idea by you guys first and maybe get a couple answers to some questions I have. As it's unoriginal and people are doing it already I'm not too worried about someone "stealing it."

Basically I would like to self publish, I guess, a book of a large collection of my moleskine sketchbook paintings/drawings which you can check out a few of at http://pezzz.tumblr.com . I looked around at the other ideas asking for funding right now and the ones who were successful and I'm not quite sure if mine is well up to snuff.

What I'm also wondering is how do I go about estimating the amount of money it would take to do something like this. It seems as if others are quoting it at $3k in backing needed but I have no clue were they're getting this number. I can estimate the cost in supplies and such but I'm lost otherwise.

First of all, this is awesome. It would make for a great project that is bound to get a good following.

As for the expense, I'm not sure where that's derived from. I think people doing similar things are probably just making it up. As for me, I would gather a basic set of cost it would take and then add 20% for unexpected expenses.

With Kickstarter, it seems lower the better. Sometimes they really take off, though, especially if you can get some support from the Kickstarter guys on Twitter or being featured on the homepage.