Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Brown Moses posted:

It's frustrating, especially as the fundraiser has been mentioned in some big news outlets. I guess next time I better print some Brown Moses Blog t-shirts and shot glasses. One good thing is Avaaz might be providing me with some additional funding, so that would be very useful.

This is the first I've read about your project, I'm genuinely curious why you chose IGG over KS? KS allows for UK based projects and if you ask me, all things being equal you should choose KS because there's more eyes there.

Also you crazy look like Mark Ruffalo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

I tried Kickstarter first, but they rejected my project, which was a pain. In addition to the money raised during the fundraiser Avaaz are arranging a grant for my blog as well.

drat that sucks, any reason given?

As to your bitcoin question, I would say no. Too much hassle, and I'm in no position to discuss economic theory, but it just isn't worth it. I think the only way it would be worthwhile is if you made a gimmick post about it on Reddit but even then the appeal for them would be more about the novelty of being able to crowdfund a project through bitcoin rather than any inherent interest in the bitcoin community. Most Bitcoinstarter projects (yes that's a thing) have gotten nothing. There just isn't widespread enough adoption for people who care about your project to have a use for bitcoin. Anyone interested in it will use dirty fiat money to begin with

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 28, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CrushedWill posted:

Is this the best thread to ask some basic kickstarter questions, or is there another more appropriate?

As good a place as any. You could always try the Awful KS thread in GBS but you won't get a terrible amount of sympathy if it's self-indulgent

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

KS says it has rules. People flout them all the time, what you should be more concerned about is people getting pissed at you, GBS or not. KS may look the other way when you ask for equipment money but at the very least you gotta prove to people you have the skills to complete what you say you will complete and that includes previous work

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CrushedWill posted:

The more I think about it, the less comfortable I am with the idea of using KS monies for equipment. To put it in accounting terms, expenses to complete the project are ok but asset acquisition isn't.

The plan (should I decide to pursue it) would basically entail starting a website with the types of work I might publish, upgrade my equipment, take book quality pics, then look at a KS project to get the book out with the improved work. Lower resolution work (like for web) is not nearly as a demanding equipment sync as print work can be, so that should be doable with older stuff.

What you could consider is renting equipment so you can make a pitch showing what you can do with it . I think the best KS is one that spends a little money to make money. Or effort if money is tight

I don't think it's a proper KS without some risk taking involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Hey! Our sister company's second kickstarter (well third technically, but second big one) has gone live. A tabletop game based on Who Goes There? The novel(la?) that inspired the The Thing.

Not Mondo's game :colbert:.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/certifiablegames/who-goes-there

I can answer any questions you might have hopefully and can walk across the parking lot and ask the Certifiable dudes if needed.

Just make sure it's different enough from The Thing boardgame. I was a bit disappointed in that but more because my expectations were out of whack.