Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sir_TaxALot posted:

Everyone is having videos they can't believe hasn't been posted yet, so here goes mine !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLzCfUM7BM8
I posted it on page 2. I was pretty surprised that no one had posted it before me though.

edit: only tangentially related, but okusenman. I have a hard time watching it through myself though. The idea of this video, which seems common in Japan, that childhood is the only time that a person can be happy. It's a soul-crushing, suicide-inducing thing to think and I very much disagree with it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
^^^ Holy poo poo that was depressing. I'm certainly glad I don't agree with that sort of view point personally (we are all posting in a Mega Man thread, hell yes), but it sad that a lot of other do.

Boxman posted:

I really, really like Mega Man X4, but holy moly those cutscenes were bad.

I...I am stunned. I can't believe I forgot how horrible these were. I made an AMV to this (:ohdear:) years and years ago and I guess since I had just seen that so much I pushed out of my mind how bad the acting was.

Then again, it's Capcom and an English dub, what should we expect?

Nothing but Jibble sandwiches, that's what.

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 13, 2009

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I would rather have Legends 3 over a new X game. Legends is so underrated. The latter half of the X games are so hosed up, I'm not sure if I want any more. That is, unless they make an SNES styled game that retcons X5-X8 out of existence.

The classic Mega Man series has never jumped the shark, though. Even though 8 and Megaman and Bass are a little weak, they're not terrible.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Let's start at the beginning.

Mega Man

This is the boxart that launched one of Capcom's biggest franchises.

Released in 1987 on the NES, since its the first game, it only has six Robot Masters. Mega Man would later be remade for PSP, with two new Robot Masters, a level creator, and playable Protoman and Roll. It is also now available on Virtual Console.

Story:
Dr. Wily reprograms Dr. Light's robots in a plot to take over the world. Its up to Mega Man to suit up and stop him.

Thoughts:
Mega Man games are notorious for being difficult, but I'm gonna say it here, I think this one's the hardest for me. Gutsman's stage murders me. Mega Man 1 was never really one of my favorites, but like The Legend of Zelda, I can see how it influences everything else in the franchise. Powered Up is an alright game. I can’t for the life of me figure out how they got away with Oil Man.

(Please don’t turn this into a GBS race thread.)

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked

Mr.Flibble posted:

I highly recomend watching Oyster's"Super Adventure Rockman" Let's Play, it's a fun fmv game that was originally only available to play in Japan, but Oyster translated it into English for so now we can all enjoy it together in this very well done lp.

Anything is made better by Norio Wakamoto narrating.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

fivegears4reverse posted:

X8 real problem, in my recollection, was that the actual gameplay still wasn't as tight as it had been with the 2d games. It got really close at times, but something about the animations in general just made everything feel less precise.

I did really like the soundtrack for X8 though. My only complaint is I wish they hadn't gone with the Gravity Antonion's music in the final version. There's a lost tracks CD that has the originally proposed track, which sounded pretty alright. I can't find the lost tracks version on youtube though :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx-7nxIRcFI Final version used for game

I think that if X8 had actually been X7, there could have been a properly amazing 3d graphics X title before Maverick Hunter X, but who really knows.
That's exactly the problem I had with X8. The character thing was kind of neat because you could play through the level with 3 characters who played really differently and switch to one of the others mid level, and it finally felt like a good X game again, but the animations and whole thing being in 3D really did ruin it. 3D games to me should just play like they're 3D, and I prefer 2D games to be sprite based. I kind of have the same problem with New Super Mario Bros that just came out- I'm dying a lot, but I feel like I shouldn't be.

I still like the X series better though, being faster is more fun to me. X8 wasn't a bad game at all in the end, just felt a little weird to control.

fivegears4reverse posted:

Those are his X4 videos, but he's got stuff for pretty much all the X series except 7 and 8,
My favorite megaman game :shobon: thanks!

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 13, 2009

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

retcons X5-X8 out of existence

If it helps mend your pain, X6-8 technically aren't canon.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
After having played New Super Mario Bros Wii, I immediately began hoping for a multiplayer version of a Mega Man game. Anyone else?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Wait, they're making a Mega Man 10? Oh gently caress yes. I hope they don't stop making these. I don't care about a plot or any gimmicky features, just give me 8 themed robots to kill and then go through 4 retarded stages of difficulty to fight Dr. Wily all with awesome 8 bit music in the background and I'm good.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can’t for the life of me figure out how they got away with Oil Man.

(Please don’t turn this into a GBS race thread.)

They eventually changed his lips yellow. My copy of the game has him with yellow lips.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What should really happen for the next X title is that rather than going pure retro with it and making it look like the SNES games, they should make it an HD sprite based game. Character sprites heavy on animation and in high def would be spectacular.

Then give it optional co-op. Give me a co-op MMX game with the playable cast being X, Zero, and maaaaaybe Axl, and Signas from X5 on, give them all defining play styles, and make more bullet intensive than a Metal Slug game, complete with badass boss fights where the Maverick in question requires more than just spamming weaknesses, and he can kick your asses all over a given arena....

Goddamn. It'd be awesome.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

quakster posted:

If it helps mend your pain, X6-8 technically aren't canon.

Really? Where'd you hear that?

Something that really grinds my gears about the later X games, aside from the fact that X6 and X7 are legitimately really crappy games, is that in X2, X3 and X4, they keep telling you that X is going to have to kill Zero in some epic battle. They did fight in X5, but it was hardly epic. It would have been okay if X5 was the last game, or even if they kept doing them and left out Zero, but nope, he's back in X6 with no explanation. Then in X7, X isn't even playable from the start as is replaced with that annoying Axl guy. X8 isn't a bad game, per se, but it isn't that great either, and the fact that its a sequel to X7 makes it harder for me to enjoy it.

I know it's kinda dumb to complain about the storyline in a Mega Man game of all things, but when you're a kid growing up with them, and they don't give you what they promised, you get pretty disappointed.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Really? Where'd you hear that?

I think the guy who created Mega Man said so, but (and as absurd as this sounds, I'm gonna go ahead with it anyway) the plot supports X5 happening but not X6.

X5 ends with Zero getting pretty messed up, the Zero series starts with Zero waking from a long nap while he was repaired. It makes sense in a way that the others don't.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Gammatron 64 posted:

They did fight in X5, but it was hardly epic. It would have been okay if X5 was the last game, or even if they kept doing them and left out Zero, but nope, he's back in X6 with no explanation.

X5 was supposed to be the last X game, but they made X6 behind the creators back.

From The MMKB

quote:

It should be noted that series creator Keiji Inafune originally intended for this to be the last title in the Mega Man X series, with Zero dying and resurrecting later in the Mega Man Zero series, but Capcom later decided to green-light Mega Man X6 against his wishes, changing his plans.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

glod posted:

They eventually changed his lips yellow. My copy of the game has him with yellow lips.

That picture was Oil Man's Japanese version. They changed the color scheme in localization.

Mechahamster
Oct 9, 2007
Tiny paws of doom

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I figured it out in 2007, which means it took me 20 years. You must not have had parents that smoked.

EDIT: it was 19 years for me, too, if I bothered to remember that MM2 came out in 1988 and not 1987. Goddamn it.

I'm a smoker myself :shobon:

I had the game back then on the NES and it's in my Wii library, it just never clicked.

And of course I knew about the charge on his weapon, how else was I ever gonna beat Slow Down Dragon? That boomerang meant getting close!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Re: MM9

I actually really enjoyed the eight main stages. They're hard as nails, and seem a lot more spiky than the old games.. But with perseverance (and yes, some drinking :pseudo:) I managed to get through them all and have a lot of fun doing it.

But gently caress those Wily levels. Those are just bullshit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fidel sarcastro posted:

Re: MM9

I actually really enjoyed the eight main stages. They're hard as nails, and seem a lot more spiky than the old games.. But with perseverance (and yes, some drinking :pseudo:) I managed to get through them all and have a lot of fun doing it.

But gently caress those Wily levels. Those are just bullshit.

This is exactly what I came here to post.

I do appreciate the value of "Nintendo Hard" games because back in the day when/if you didn't have parents with cash you were stuck with whatever the grace of god happened to give you for your birthday/christmas while you furtively prayed your parents understood the quality difference between Metroid and Star Trek for NES.

However those days are long gone. Time has been kind enough to see that no matter your economic level provided you can get a gaming system you can afford a good title for as cheap as $10. Technology has given us so many wonderful options of playstyle, and because of market conditions few games can afford to rape you up the rear end as they so wantonly did in the 80s and early 90s.

And yes, I get that nostalgia masochists are precisely those who Capcom seeks to entice and I really did enjoy the 8 robot masters of MM9 despite the constant deaths and frequent "THIS IS BULLSHIT" exclamations.

But those Wily levels, where losing all your lives on Wily 3 means a trip back to Wily 1. gently caress that noise. Seriously, gently caress that noise. I beat one of those Wily Levels then I should not have to go back there unless I drat well please and for that alone I will never finish MM9 unless I suddenly find myself with 50 spare hours to practice until I get it right.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

mind the walrus posted:

But those Wily levels, where losing all your lives on Wily 3 means a trip back to Wily 1. gently caress that noise. Seriously, gently caress that noise. I beat one of those Wily Levels then I should not have to go back there unless I drat well please and for that alone I will never finish MM9 unless I suddenly find myself with 50 spare hours to practice until I get it right.

If you continue from the game over screen instead of returning to stage select you don't have to start the castle over.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

:words:

Guess you just suck, I beat MM9 the day I got it. You think Mega Man is hard? Play some old school NES Castlevania.

And you don't go back to Wily 1 if you hit continue.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Is it safe to assume I'm the only person on the planet that liked the 64 one?

(2 is the best though)

\/ Oh ok. Has a sequel to legends come out yet?

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 14, 2009

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Mega Man 64 = Mega Man Legends on PSX, lots of people like it :)

edit: There was a Legends 2 on PSX

Swilo fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 14, 2009

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
OP, Do you think you could talk a little more about the bosses in your game updates? Except for 2,3, and X1-3, I haven't a clue what megaman had to fight to win those games.

Good job otherwise so far though!

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Was it the mega man 3 ending that explained what the hell the point of all the robot masters in 1 and 2 were? because I remember that being the most awesome ending of my childhood.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

mew force shoelace posted:

Was it the mega man 3 ending that explained what the hell the point of all the robot masters in 1 and 2 were? because I remember that being the most awesome ending of my childhood.

Yeah, the endingto 3 explained why the Robot Master in Megaman 1 where created. After that, no real reason for the Robot Masters creation is given.

So in the first game Megaman is killing his brother.

Ghost of St Helens
Oct 11, 2007

Boxman posted:

I really, really like Mega Man X4, but holy moly those cutscenes were bad.

Wow, this is almost better than "FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIGHT"

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

BexGu posted:

Yeah, the endingto 3 explained why the Robot Master in Megaman 1 where created. After that, no real reason for the Robot Masters creation is given.

So in the first game Megaman is killing his brother.

There are actually some sources out there that explain a lot more detail on the various robot masters. I'm assuming they are probably from some Japanese-only source, maybe early art books or something, but I managed to find them semi-summarized (with the specific serial number for all the robots) on a wiki or sorts. I would link it, but it's on my old computer at the moment that I can't get to.

Of course, Blizzard Man being a ski instructor isn't exactly the most important back story ever, so in some cases we aren't missing much.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Megaman 6's robot masters are pretty sensical for Megaman bosses because they were built to fight in a tournament representing particular countries(which is why you have stereotype bots like Tomahawk Man and Yamato Man). This doesn't really explain Plant Man, but you can't win them all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vander posted:

OP, Do you think you could talk a little more about the bosses in your game updates? Except for 2,3, and X1-3, I haven't a clue what megaman had to fight to win those games.

Good job otherwise so far though!

You got it. I'm by no means an expert on the series, so I'll be pulling a lot of this from Gamefaqs. If anyone knows any better methods and strategies, feel free to correct me.

Mega Man (1) Robot Masters!

Suggested order:

Bomb Man
Guts Man
Cut Man
Elec Man
Ice Man
Fire Man

Wily Castle bosses

Rock Monster:
Weakness: Thunder Beam

Clone Mega Man:
Weakness: None.

Bubble Machine:
Weakness: None.

Dr. Wily:
Weakness: Thunder Beam and Rolling Cutter

I don't know if I should spoil a 20+ year old game.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mega Man 1 - Built by Dr. Light for assorted tasks, reprogrammed by Wily.
Mega Man 2 - Built by Wily to destroy Mega Man.
Mega Man 3 - Wily says he was only temporarily insane, and the 8 robots are made by Light and Wily to mine for rare elements for Construction of the super-robot Gamma (last boss of MM3)
Mega Man 4 - Built by Dr. Cossack to destroy Mega Man after Wily kidnaps his daughter Kalinka and forces him to do it.
Mega Man 5 - ??? Presumably made by Wily.
Mega Man 6 - Made by assorted designers to fight in a tournament.
Mega Man 7 - Wily.
Mega Man 8 - Also Wily.
Mega Man 9 - Made by Light, reprogrammed by Wily.

Mega Man 8's manual had specific bios and described what was going through Wily's head when he built each Robot Master. I.e. he was went overboard making Clown Man, and all the leftover parts were slapped on a refrigerator and Frost Man was born.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm at Wily's Castle and gently caress the Yellow Devil.

gently caress you rear end in a top hat :argh:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Detective No. 27 posted:

You got it. I'm by no means an expert on the series, so I'll be pulling a lot of this from Gamefaqs. If anyone knows any better methods and strategies, feel free to correct me.
Best weapon to use on your clone is Fire Man's thing, but not the bullet. When you shoot it a circle of flames appears around you, and the AI is abusable to always jump into it :v:

The "Bubble Machine" is obviously weak to Guts Man, there's 4 blocks in the room and they kill them in one shot each; though there's 7 which move progressively faster so you should save them. Regular P works fine for the rest.

PonchAxis posted:

Game ruining unfun for the desperate: Rapidly tap select to pause the game and your attacks will hit multiple times, it's possible to beat him in one shot of Elec Man's thing.

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

Okay.

Mega Man 3 Bosses

Suggested Order (mine, at least)

Snake Man - Use Mega Buster (Later, Needle Cannon. Will explain in a second.)
Gemini Man - Use Search Snake
Needle Man - Use Gemini Laser
Spark Man - Use Needle Cannon (he's actually weak to the Shadow Blade, but this way makes a continuous loop rather than two of them. Yes, Mega Man 3 had two continuous loops of bosses as opposed to one)
Magnet Man - Use Spark Shot
Hard Man - Use Magnet Missile
Top Man - Use Hard Knuckle
Shadow Man - Use Top Spin

Spark Man Redux:
Metal Man - Use Magnet Missiles
Quick Man - Use Gemini Laser

Shadow Man Redux:
Wood Man - Use Search Snake
Heat Man - Use Top Spin

Needle Man Redux:
Air Man - Use Spark Shot
Crash Man - Use Hard Knuckle

Gemini Man Redux:
Flash Man - Use Needle Cannon
Bubble Man - Use Shadow Blade

Dr. Wily Bosses

Turtle Machine - Use Shadow Blade against the turtles, not the robot.
Yellow Demon - Use Hard Knuckle
Mega Man Clones - Use Search Snake
Bosses - See above
Dr. Wily Walker - Use Spark Shot and Hard Knuckle
Gamma - Use Shadow Blade and Top Spin

I can't believe I did all of that from memory. :smith:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Swilo posted:

Best weapon to use on your clone is Fire Man's thing, but not the bullet. When you shoot it a circle of flames appears around you, and the AI is abusable to always jump into it :v:

The "Bubble Machine" is obviously weak to Guts Man, there's 4 blocks in the room and they kill them in one shot each; though there's 7 which move progressively faster so you should save them. Regular P works fine for the rest.

Game ruining unfun for the desperate: Rapidly tap select to pause the game and your attacks will hit multiple times, it's possible to beat him in one shot of Elec Man's thing.

:aaaaa:
Well I'll be damned

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Mega Man 1 is ridiculously easy as long as you glitch the gently caress out of that Yellow Devil bastard. I'd say it's the second easiest in the core series aside from 2.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

PonchAxis posted:

I made this video for the challenge thread in the Let's Play forum and though I might as well post it. Wish I had current Gen console, I'd love to play Mega Man 9 and soon 10.

Also, I always went Guts man - Cut man - so on in Mega Man one.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So Mega Man 10 in March got me thinking:

Mega Man 10... Monday March 2010

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mega Man 3 - Wily says he was only temporarily insane, and the 8 robots are made by Light and Wily to mine for rare elements for Construction of the super-robot Gamma (last boss of MM3)

I would buy this for maybe 6 of the 8, but what was the point of Shadow Man and Top Man?

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked
According to some wiki I read once (so take this with a grain of salt), Shadow Man isn't even entirely a Dr. Wily robot as it was based on some ancient design (Shadow man is a ninja).

I'm sure ninja skills are good for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Sometimes a ninja just happens.