Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Boxman posted:

I would buy this for maybe 6 of the 8, but what was the point of Shadow Man and Top Man?

Hey man, I'm not behind the story, Capcom is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

More Action! More Excitement! More Adventure!
Throwing my lot in with the people who absolutely loved Mega Man 9 and want to see the series stick with retro 8-bit goodness. It's not that I reject modern gaming, it's just that with this particular series nothing (except maybe X1 and X2) has matched the sheer joy of those classic NES games. I've played each one at least three or four times each (MM2 and MM3 probably way more than that) and they just have such a specific, purely fun vibe. I'd go so far as to say that Mega Man 9 was one of my top 10 games of 2008, because it's the only one I played where every single second of playtime was pure fun; no filler, no dull cutscenes, no confusion, no padding, no wonky play control, just platforming bliss.

Mega Man 10 will be a minute one download for me.

My own personal top 5 Mega Man games:

1. Mega Man X
2. Mega Man 2
3. Mega Man 3
4. Mega Man 9
5. Mega Man 4 / Mega Man X2 (tie)

mind the walrus posted:

But those Wily levels, where losing all your lives on Wily 3 means a trip back to Wily 1. gently caress that noise. Seriously, gently caress that noise. I beat one of those Wily Levels then I should not have to go back there unless I drat well please and for that alone I will never finish MM9 unless I suddenly find myself with 50 spare hours to practice until I get it right.

I'm a completely average gamer (never beaten Contra, never beaten any NES Ninja Gaiden games, never beaten GoldenEye or Perfect Dark on 00 Agent, etc.) and I beat Mega Man 9 in about two hours fifteen minutes my first time playing it, and after a few more playthroughs I was down to less than an hour with two or three deaths per run (although I admit I never did beat it without dying). Just keep working at it; once you've figured out one room's obstacle/trick you'll never really die in that room again.

Here's my own contribution to the informal "post your Mega Maniest youtubes" contest in this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvUGvx1a3I

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mega Man 8's manual had specific bios and described what was going through Wily's head when he built each Robot Master. I.e. he was went overboard making Clown Man, and all the leftover parts were slapped on a refrigerator and Frost Man was born.

I'd like to see the world the way Dr. Wily does, if just for a day.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

It's easy, just get hooked on crack.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

This thread doesn't have nearly enough timeline discussion. But here's this:

Now I want to play some Mega Man, but I have none of them nor do I have any money. Soon though, I will return to MM after a long time.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.
I like most of the original series, but none of them have enamored me like Mega Man 2. It's in my top 5 favorite games (and soundtracks) and I can beat it pretty consistently without dying :smug: (the Wily Fortress stage 4 boss with the wall-cannons is pretty tricky). I like the "Air Man Will Not Die" video but c'mon, even just using the arm cannon he's the easiest boss, just indiscriminately run at him and shoot.

Mechahamster posted:

And of course I knew about the charge on his weapon, how else was I ever gonna beat Slow Down Dragon? That boomerang meant getting close!

Stand on the top block and spam the boomerang. Don't worry about getting hit because if you are you'll fall safely back onto the middle block, just jump back up and repeat.

Schwarzwald posted:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

MokBa posted:

This thread doesn't have nearly enough timeline discussion.
There's not much to discuss when it has an official and coherent timeline (MM/GB, X, Zero/ZX, Legends) :colbert: No clue where .EXE fits but who cares they suck.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Swilo posted:

There's not much to discuss when it has an official and coherent timeline (MM/GB, X, Zero/ZX, Legends) :colbert: No clue where .EXE fits but who cares they suck.
My favorite thing about .EXE/Battle Network were that the Robot Masters were redesigned. I really wish they'd have used the redesigns in the original games though instead. I thought all the Navi characters looked badass, but I also thought the battle system and plot were more trouble than they were worth.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Swilo posted:

No clue where .EXE fits but who cares they suck.

I always assumed the Battle Network games were a prequel to everything else.

Also, for anyone curious about playing the Battle Network games, just play BN6, if only cause you can turn into this:

RKTM
Jul 17, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

I always assumed the Battle Network games were a prequel to everything else.

Battle network games are an alternate universe, where instead of investing his time in something useful like robotics, Dr Light went into internet stuff.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I got the first Battle Network and loved the poo poo out of it. I thought it was pretty cool and really liked the story and battle system at the time. Its was a pretty cool game but gently caress there's too many of them. Whatsup with that ZX and Starforce Megamans? What the gently caress are those all about?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

PonchAxis posted:

I got the first Battle Network and loved the poo poo out of it. I thought it was pretty cool and really liked the story and battle system at the time. Its was a pretty cool game but gently caress there's too many of them. Whatsup with that ZX and Starforce Megamans? What the gently caress are those all about?

ZX and Starforce games are sequels to their respective precursors, Megaman Zero and Battle Network. In fact, there's a ton of reference (names, bosses, etc) in each game to their related games, so much so that there's bonus content in a few of the games if you have a GBA game in the appropriate slot.
For instance, in Megaman ZX, you can fight the Megaman Zero bosses if you have one of those games popped in. In Starforce 1 (I think 2, too), you can have a Battle Network game in and get a new weapon.
Starforce also has an upcoming crossover with the Battle Network series. I'm not sure how it's going to work, but I enjoyed the last Starforce (3) and all the Battle Network games I played, so I'm looking forward to it.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

PonchAxis posted:

Whatsup with that ZX and Starforce Megamans? What the gently caress are those all about?
ZX is a sequel to Zero and Starforce is a sequel to EXE/BN, no clue how they play as I haven't touched either.

edit: Yeah, what he said.

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PonchAxis posted:

ZX is megaman zero with a little bit of metroid, but they don't pull off the metroid aspect well at all. It's still fun if you like megaman zero, because the gameplay is just as tight.

Starforce is pretty lovely compared to battle network. One of the funnest, most strategic battle systems got turned into something that's pretty to look at, but incredibly unstrategic. The story is still there in massive amounts, along with low production value on the entire overworld and navigation aspect... I swear, everytime I see a well animated sprite I've never seen before in one of those games, I celebrate. I can't count how many times the screen flashes white or fades to black for a second so they don't have to animate something that deserves to be animated awesomely.

My favorite battle networks are 3 and 6. 3 was actually pretty interesting plot wise (or maybe I was just 14) and I actually clocked in over 99 hours getting every single thing. As for 6, it's just the finale of the series, and tight poo poo happens.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Nahxela posted:

Starforce also has an upcoming crossover with the Battle Network series. I'm not sure how it's going to work, but I enjoyed the last Starforce (3) and all the Battle Network games I played, so I'm looking forward to it.

This crossover was already released in Japan in November, and it's basically just an enhanced remake of BN1 similar to BN5 Double Team DS, also allowing you to play as Geo in his Megaman form, with slight variations in terms of gameplay between the two.

I wouldn't mind an international release since BN1 is the only one that gives me some trouble starting over again because of the Net and some other aspects in it. It just feels so outdated when you get used to the gameplay in the later games.

Also, everybody seems to forget about Network Transmission when talking Battle Network. It wasn't THAT terrible(And it had some pretty good music)

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

MM3 is probably still my favorite, only because it was the first one I got. I remember being a kid and having finding a 3 or 4 page preview of the game in some old no longer existing magazine and reading those 4 pages entirely EVERYDAY until my birthday hit and I got the game. As such I can blast through the game in one sitting in about 90 minutes.

And I honestly didn't find MM9 that hard, until Wiley himself. Sure there were some surprises that would get you at first, but once you knew they were there, they were simple to avoid. None of the bosses were particularly hard. Hell, none of the bosses in any of the MM games are particularly hard outside of Wiley/Sigma. And those mini-boss guys you get the Zero parts from in X3. gently caress those guys.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
I just got this email

quote:

World renowned game developer and father of Mega Man, Keiji Inafune, joins us for a live chat Wednesday, 12/16, at 9 PM PST to celebrate Mega Man's 22nd Birthday! Stop by and celebrate with us as Mr. Inafune will be taking questions from the live chat! Expect a few surprises in store for Mega Man fans. Additionally, there will be guest appearances from renowned cartoon artist Hitoshi Ariga and Mega Man game producer Hironobu Takeshita. Visit http://www.capcom-unity.com/mega_man/blog for more information.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Oh please Jesus say something about mega man legends 3.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There was a new Mega Man game released this week actually.

Mega Man: Rush Marine was released for mobile phones. It has a bunch of levels, ten robot masters, and weapons you can get and use, all underwater inside of Rush Marine.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Smoke posted:

This crossover was already released in Japan in November, and it's basically just an enhanced remake of BN1 similar to BN5 Double Team DS, also allowing you to play as Geo in his Megaman form, with slight variations in terms of gameplay between the two.

I wouldn't mind an international release since BN1 is the only one that gives me some trouble starting over again because of the Net and some other aspects in it. It just feels so outdated when you get used to the gameplay in the later games.

Also, everybody seems to forget about Network Transmission when talking Battle Network. It wasn't THAT terrible(And it had some pretty good music)

There is a loving map display. I'm so satisfied.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Boxman posted:

I would buy this for maybe 6 of the 8, but what was the point of Shadow Man and Top Man?

Wasn't Top Man made to entertain children or some such?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Figured there'd be interest in this thread - Via Joystiq, Famitsu reports MM10 is coming to PSN and XBLA as well.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Boxman posted:

Figured there'd be interest in this thread - Via Joystiq, Famitsu reports MM10 is coming to PSN and XBLA as well.
Woo!

EDIT: I'm going to throw out wild speculation that this game will at least start the tie-in between classic and X with the inclusion of Sheep Man, since all the Mavericks in the X games are based off of animals.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Orgophlax posted:

Woo!

EDIT: I'm going to throw out wild speculation that this game will at least start the tie-in between classic and X with the inclusion of Sheep Man, since all the Mavericks in the X games are based off of animals.

Snake Man kind of puts paid to your wild speculation.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
No one's going to get this, but this is all I can associate with the Sheep Man:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There's better ways to wild guess.
1.) The entire plot is about a virus that makes robots go crazy, and Wily's probably behind it. Sounds suspiciously like the problem that starts Megaman X's woes.
2.) Third none-DLC playable character if I have my facts straight. Bass is DLC, so who could that be?
3.) X=10 in roman numerals, which would make setting up a tie in in this game a really fun little call out.

Honestly I'm pretty much kidding and if they do start the bridge it will probably not be anything huge, maybe just showing Dr. Light building X or something, they are not done making new Megaman sequels yet.

PS.) Infune himself has deconfirmed the theory that Zero killed the original cast. Google for it or something, just wanted to bring that out early.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
The only games in the series I've even seen hint at a bridge between the two series are Power Fighters and X4. I do personally hate it when games leave important details as nebulous implications (Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy VIII drive me up the loving wall), and when I was a kid I really hated how much Mega Man X (1) left unexplained. But now I can understand why. The original series and X series are so stylistically different that I really think that it would look incongruous to have too many elements of the two series together. I think it even did look incongruous in those games.

I think Capcom's mindset is that what the fans want is more 8-bit Mega Man. And that's what they're getting. No more, no less.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Shanty posted:

No one's going to get this, but this is all I can associate with the Sheep Man:

As long as you have to go through that creepy hotel with the in-between floor to get to his room. That would actually be a cool stage, riding up and down a hotel elevator till you find the secret dark floor.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

CloseFriend posted:

I think Capcom's mindset is that what the fans want is more 8-bit Mega Man. And that's what they're getting. No more, no less.
I wouldn't mind giving X the 9/10 treatment if they went back to pre-X4 gameplay like those go back to pre-5 mechanics. The ride armors are about as far as I want to worry about non-boss powerups and make a nice complement to the originals' Items and Rush, and they could dump most of the plot in favor of better level design and use of weapons.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

mathaeis posted:

However, I COMPLETELY agree that Mega Man is a world that has amazing potential for a serious, non-kiddie story, and from what I understand The Protomen deliver on that idea. Still, I find a big difference between the light-hearted fun of The Megas, and the disappointment Capcom can sometimes provide - like any of the English voices in the American games. "It's time to get serious!"

at last... A Mega Man game for ADULTS!!

I can't think of a reason why games about lil cartoon robots fighting should not be accessible to children.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

swamp waste posted:

at last... A Mega Man game for ADULTS!!

I can't think of a reason why games about lil cartoon robots fighting should not be accessible to children.

I don't know about you man, I want a Mega Man game where he looks like a quarterback and has a chainsaw gun covered in spikes and snorts cocaine off hookers' tits and fights demon guys from warhammer 40k and swims in pools of blood of the mortals! And with lots of metal.

Oh wait, that's for people who are mentally children, never mind.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't know about you man, I want a Mega Man game where he looks like a quarterback and has a chainsaw gun covered in spikes and snorts cocaine off hookers' tits and fights demon guys from warhammer 40k and swims in pools of blood of the mortals! And with lots of metal.

Oh wait, that's for people who are mentally children, never mind.

I dunno. Could be cool. Then again, Bomberman...

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
Now that you fuckers have put it into my head, all I want now is a 16-bit style Megaman X9. As much as I love classic Megaman, the X series was like crack to me as a kid. Up until about X6 anyway.

Here's a dirty secret: I actually like X6. Even with the stupid difficulty and dead ends. X7 was a pile of dogshit though.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

BlueArmyMan posted:

Wasn't Top Man made to entertain children or some such?

Something I found interesting somewhat relating to this. I remember an issue of Nintendo Power back when either MM5 or 6 came out, there was a contest to design robots. They had a 4 page spread of all the entrants, and announced the two winners. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I found information pointing out that ALL the robot masters from MM2 on were the result of similar contests in Japan - the two in NP were just the only two American children ever had anything to do with.

So I guess form denotes function, despite how silly that form might be.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mecha Labrador posted:

Here's a dirty secret: I actually like X6. Even with the stupid difficulty and dead ends.

I also enjoyed X6, with the exception of some of the bullshit locations for armor capsules and the music.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

MokBa posted:

This thread doesn't have nearly enough timeline discussion.

As Far as I know, the general timeline (Including possible non cannon games) goes like this

OG Mega Man 1-10

30 years after the final Megaman vs Wiley Showdown Dr Light Creates X as a robot who can think and make choices for himself. X is sealed away for 30 years of diagnostic testing. Dr. Light dies sometime during this diagnositic period.

100 years after X has been sealed away, he is discovered by Dr. Cain. X assists Cain in the production of the first reploid

1 year later the first reploid standardized and mass production begins.

3-7 years later the first reploids start going maverick due to the yet unknown Sigma Virus, and the Maverick Hunters are formed with Sigma as their leader. Zero shows up somewhere during this time but nobody knows exactly when or how. At this point X is more of a scientist than a fighter.

Sigma goes maverick along with most of the Maverick hunters. X feels it's his fault and goes to fight the Mavericks. Megaman X series starts

Megaman Zero series takes place 100 years after that.

The ZX series takes place 200 years after Megaman Zero.

Legends is about 1000 years after ZX.

All other games don't really have a place in the time line as they are alternate universe (Battle Network and Starforce), or are just plain silly and don't fit. I'm looking at you Megaman Soccer.

God Damn Dam God fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 16, 2009

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

D is That Guy posted:

Timeline stuff.
Don't forget that Zero was built by Wiley I think before Light started X, and X was more of a counter to Zero. I might be wrong with the reasoning, but Zero was definitely built by Wiley.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Orgophlax posted:

Don't forget that Zero was built by Wiley I think before Light started X, and X was more of a counter to Zero. I might be wrong with the reasoning, but Zero was definitely built by Wiley.

Yeah. I should have added this. It was actually before X, but I don't think Light had any inkling that Zero was being built. For all the bumbling that Wiley did fighting Megaman, he may have been even more of a genius than Dr Light. He created a robot with the same thinking and moral capability as Light did, but he did it earlier, and he did it knowing that the robots copied from his would be susceptible to the Sigma virus he included. He basically figured out a way do distribute his brand of insanity on a much larger scale after he would be long dead. I'd say he's as evil genius as they come.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
When I was a kid, I had Mega Man 3 and 4, or more properly displayed as Mega Man III and Mega Man IV, like in the game's opening title screen.

I knew they put out a Mega Man 5 and 6, but I wasn't much interested. When Mega Man X came out though, I thought it was awesome. Before I played it and realized the main character was called X, I like a lot of others I think, just assumed it was Mega Man 10 and that I had not been paying sufficient attention to the original series.

After they made 7, 8 and 9, I figured, hey if Mega Man X is the next game in the series, it would mean that I was actually right all along, albeit unknowingly. Too bad they had to make this.

I enjoyed MM9, but if they made a 16 or 32-bit 2D Mega Man 9X, I would play the gently caress out of that. Play. The. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

StickySweater posted:

After they made 7, 8 and 9, I figured, hey if Mega Man X is the next game in the series, it would mean that I was actually right all along, albeit unknowingly. Too bad they had to make this.
But this was wrong fifteen years ago when X2 came out and wasn't XI :raise: