Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

D is That Guy posted:

It's not likely to be Zero. I'll bet it would be Duo before it would be Zero. Unfortunately it's even more likely that it would be Roll. I'm still hoping that it's a comedy Servbot option though.

Um what little of a plot exists states that Roll is sick and that's what Megaman is fighting for. I don't think it's possible for it to be Roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Yonic Symbolism posted:

They look for an animal that makes electricity and sheep are the first thing they think of? This could've been Eelman?
And it's not like they couldn't have looked for a synonym or something, hasn't stopped them from making an ice man and a fire man every drat game.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. It's a book. A good one.

Edit: I should read more. I guess the reason the creators chose sheep was really that dumb.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 17, 2009

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
I'm glad Mega Man 10 was announced so close to its release. Now I don't have to wait so long. Too bad Inafune doesn't seem too keen on making a 16-bit X game just yet tough.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

You know I'd be a silly nerd and watch a series that looked like this if it had even decent voice acting.

The Day of Sigma from Maverick Hunter X was kind of a taste of this. Even tough I don't watch cartoons I must admit I kinda liked it. I blame my childhood.

I don't think it has been linked yet so I'll provide.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Um what little of a plot exists states that Roll is sick and that's what Megaman is fighting for. I don't think it's possible for it to be Roll.

Pshh. Roll mk. II then.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Quoting this for a new page:

Panic Restaurant posted:

:siren:Mega Man 10 Official Trailer!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dv3X8Z6fCk

Gives us silhouettes and brief glimpses at the 8 robot masters' stages. One of them clearly has A SWORD FOR A HEAD. Betting that's blade man, or something.
I'm really glad to see them adding in so many new level gimmicks they could make the sandstorms so loving hard, and that seesaw over a spike pit with flying enemies is just evil, as well as bringing back some of the old ones that weren't fully realized BOMB PLATFORMS WOOHOO.

raditts posted:

Also it seems like everyone uses Metal Blades against Wood Man, but one charged up Atomic Fire kills him instantly. Am I the only one that figured that out as a kid?
More like you're the only one who doesn't play on Difficult :c00lbutt: Even there it only takes two, but it's a lot tougher because by the time you charge the second he's on top of you.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I really doubt this would stop them if they think it would be fun, and I only the serious business super nerds would be upset.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. It's a book. A good one.

Edit: I should read more. I guess the reason the creators chose sheep was really that dumb.
The reason they chose Sheep Man may have been kind of stupid, but going by the videos shown of his stage you'd have to be blind to think at least one person hadn't read the book.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Say, what Mega man is the most recommended? I am in the bizarre position of having played video games almost all my life, but never having touched or even seen a Mega man game, except all the parodies and Atari 2600 remake videos and things.

Information about me that may inform this: I don't have any problems at all playing old games; I enjoy puzzles and platforming to action although action is cool so long as it's varied and I'm using my head; I'm not so much a fan of Metroidvania exploration; and I own an ok PC, a Nintendo DS, and a homebrew-enabled PSP (so emulators). I may be getting a PS3.

edit: and I have a high tolerance for difficulty, again preferably if I am using my head.

Thanks!

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

I'd play Megaman 2 for a good baseline experience and work your way up.

It also has the benefit of being one of the few titles where the robot masters weaknesses made sense.

Phil Niekro fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 17, 2009

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Sick? She's a loving robot!

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
The order I'd play them if I could sit down and waste a few solid days is Megaman 2, 3,4,7,8 then jump to MMX and play 1-5, Then hit up legends 1-2 and work my way back with MMX 8-6 and finish up the original 5 and 6. Then cap it all off with 1 so you are ready for Mega Man 9.

If you have a ps2 and can get your hands on Mega Man anniversary collection, and the Mega Man X collection to do all but the legends games. It's nice since you don't have to juggle multiple platforms, and you get the best versions of all the Mega Man X games.

edit: Aniversary collection on the other hand is not the best, since 7 isn't emulated properly so the edited a bit out, and 8 is the ps1 version rather than the Saturn Version.

God Damn Dam God fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 17, 2009

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
If you're looking for a short list you'll want to play 2, 3, X1, and X2 in that order.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

She's got a virus :downs:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mathaeis posted:

Where did that first come from? The only game I remember seeing it in was Bionic Commando: Rearmed, and had no idea what it was.

It used to be a recurring thing in Capcom games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capcom#The_Yashichi

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

raditts posted:

Also it seems like everyone uses Metal Blades against Wood Man, but one charged up Atomic Fire kills him instantly. Am I the only one that figured that out as a kid?

Except everybody only fights Woodman in order to get Leaf Shield in order to beat Airman in order to get past the blocks in Heat Man's stage. So you can't use Atomic Fire yet. Duh.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Back when I used to work at a Help Desk, I played (on an emulator of course) Mega Man 1 - 7 (although I never beet 6 or 7) as well as X1 - X3. I preferred the X games though and I think I played them beginning to end again and again. I beat them all at least 3 times.

I wanted to play the Gameboy ones too, but never got around to it. I think I got caught up playing every emulated Zelda game, raiding on the battle net with a coworker in Diablo II, and occasionally indulging my obsession with Day of Defeat (non-source version cause the computer sucked). Somehow I still took more calls than anyone else by a wide margin. Man that job was loving awesome.

Edit: One last note. I did get the Mega Man (1-8) and Mega Man X collection (1-6) on Gamecube a year or two back, and while the X collection was OK at best, the original one sucked hard. The controls were quite counter intuitive, there was no way to change it and there are no alternate controller types for the Gamecube. I almost took the game back for credit and I never do that. I should have gotten it on PS2 but I don't have one and am sad.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 17, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

raditts posted:

Other than the other reasons posted (playing on 'difficult,' boss order), I think the metal blades were the preferred weapon for absolutely everything due to the ability to throw it in any direction. Freedom of mobility and trajectory in a Mega Man game.

3upMoon
Nov 29, 2007
Yep.
Holy poo poo trailer released?!

Even if I haven't played or finished a lot of the 8bit Megaman games I still get excited for the new installments.

I was hoping for Roll to be playable though once I heard Protoman is available from the start (screw paying for that). It seems like robots all over the world are falling ill like Roll and running amok due to it as the premise for this game.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

AzraelNewtype posted:

Except everybody only fights Woodman in order to get Leaf Shield in order to beat Airman in order to get past the blocks in Heat Man's stage. So you can't use Atomic Fire yet. Duh.
What kind of pussy can't get past that pit without Item 2?

Metal > Bubble > Heat > Wood > Air > Crash > Flash > Quick

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Hey, I missed the official Capcom stream last night because of some family poo poo. Was it recorded anywhere?

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Swilo posted:

Metal > Bubble > Heat > Wood > Air > Crash > Flash > Quick

I may have been all of 7 when I first got Mega Man 2, so I beat them in the order of how cool they looked. So for me it was always Metal > Quick > Air > Bubble > Flash > Wood > Heat > Crash. I just used the Metal Blade or the Buster on all the bosses. Everyone knows that Metal's weapon is the best weapon in the game anyways. I still do it this way, even on the Wiley stage where you fight them again. I do use the right weapons for the Wiley stage bosses, but those guys aren't robot masters, so screw them they deserve to be turned into scrap. (Apologies to the "Yellow Devil" type robots. You guys are always pretty tough. Don't haunt my dreams please)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Metal>Flash (metal tears this guy up seriously)> Quick> Heat or bubble or wood> another> another> Air> Crash.

Metal is the best weapon I've used in a game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Metal Blade is just the best Mega Man weapon. You get a bunch of shots for every pip of WE, it does a ton of damage, and it fires in any direction? God drat, Light should have just replaced the Mega Buster with that thing. Wily's greatest creation isn't Zero, it's the drat Metal Blade.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

In the year 20XX, Dr. Light once again forgets to back up another set of Robot Master weapons.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Panic Restaurant posted:

:siren:Mega Man 10 Official Trailer!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dv3X8Z6fCk

Gives us silhouettes and brief glimpses at the 8 robot masters' stages. One of them clearly has A SWORD FOR A HEAD. Betting that's blade man, or something.

Here's some analysis of the Megaman 10 levels from the trailer (by order of appearance). Spoiler block in place just in case people don't want to see the trailer for fear of spoilers.

1. Baseball/stadium-themed level. Pitch Man? Ball Man?

2. Electrified factory-type level. Probably Sheep Man's level.

3. Sewer level. Not too sure about the boss here (Pipe Man?)

4. Some sort of warehouse with motor vehicles and bombs. Again, boss is up in the air (Gear Man?)

5. Lava stage with conveyor belts. Boss will probably be fire-themed (Blaze Man? Stove Man?)

6. Ice level with falling snow. Boss sillouette looks a bit crystalline (Icicle Man? Glacier Man?)

7. Desert level with sandstorms and quicksand. Boss outline seems to match Commando Man, so this might be his stage.

8. Castle level with lots of sharp objects flying around. Boss appears to have some sort of sword-like object sticking out of his head (Blade Man? Sharp Man?)

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

How does anyone NOT do Airman first.

My order is always:
Air>Crash>Quick>Metal>Bubble>Heat>Wood

Flashman I'll throw in anywhere after Metal just to break it up a bit.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

ohnoitschris posted:

They just explained the whole point of Sheep Man. They wanted another electricity-based boss, but of course can't just use ElecMan again. So, Electricity... Static electricity. What can make static electricity? Wool! What grows wool? Sheep!

Sheep man!

I should be mentioned that although this was said, it was said by the American side, which was doing less translating and more acting like Goddamn morons the entire time. Pretty much their entire translation consisted of making the same "Cake Man" joke about 35 times. It was almost unbearable to listen to. So take that reasoning as the real existence of Sheep Man with a large grain of salt.

raditts posted:

They did translate the opening of the game, though, which stated Roboenza (a robot influenza) had made all the robots sick/go berserk. Personally I think this is interesting, since although computer viruses are common in our time, they seemed to be more of an "X" thing, whereas Mega Man was more about Wily straight up reprogrammed the old robots for the most part.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Schwarzwald posted:

Hey, I missed the official Capcom stream last night because of some family poo poo. Was it recorded anywhere?

I don't know if anyone recorded the full stream, but here are some highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1BdmGvpFYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlf6LZirtZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb_RKyP-JT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jg27jfn_NQ

The video of easy mode can be summed up as such:

Real men play on normal. :colbert:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Hey, that easy mode might be the only thing that's gonna get a sale from me :colbert:

I hate Mega Man so much :smith:

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
The trailer vid had the Xbox360 and PS3 in the credits, so I'm guessing this isn't a wii exclusive this time around :woop:.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did Megaman always have brutal gameplay? My memory may have just failed me, but to me there was a MASSIVE leap in difficulty after Megaman 3. Only recently I played one of the PS1 Megaman X games, and it was loving nuts. There was a driving segment at the beginning of one of the stages that made Battletoads' look simple.

You also have to collect all the items on the pathway to get into that locked room on the other side. I don't think it's possible without a gross amount of savestate usage.

Also Megaman X6 was pretty god drat harsh, I mean Jesus Christ just look at this poo poo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFdX52CqgZ4
It's on Extreme but those giant trash balls are still almost indestructible without the eagles on Normal, and you have to fight like 4 of them. You don't even get eagles with Zero and it's just brutal.

It also had a boss to put the yellow devil to shame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dafDNR0asK0#t=5m16s

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Office Thug posted:

The trailer vid had the Xbox360 and PS3 in the credits, so I'm guessing this isn't a wii exclusive this time around :woop:.

Wasn't a Wii exclusive the first time around either. I really hope you haven't been sitting there not playing it on your 360 or PS3 just because you didn't know it was available...

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Wasn't a Wii exclusive the first time around either. I really hope you haven't been sitting there not playing it on your 360 or PS3 just because you didn't know it was available...

Time to dust off the black monolith

gently caress me :gonk:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Office Thug posted:

Time to dust off the black monolith

gently caress me :gonk:

I feel a little bad for this but I seriously just laughed at you for like 5 minutes.

I mean, yeah, it was out on WiiWare first, for like a month, but they made a huge deal about it also coming to Live and PSN.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
I always did Flash -> Metal -> Wood -> Bubble -> Air (possibly Air -> Bubble I can't remember exactly) -> Heat -> Crash -> Quick, was I retarded or something?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Office Thug posted:

You also have to collect all the items on the pathway to get into that locked room on the other side. I don't think it's possible without a gross amount of savestate usage.

Also Megaman X6 was pretty god drat harsh, I mean Jesus Christ just look at this poo poo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFdX52CqgZ4
It's on Extreme but those giant trash balls are still almost indestructible without the eagles on Normal, and you have to fight like 4 of them. You don't even get eagles with Zero and it's just brutal.

It also had a boss to put the yellow devil to shame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dafDNR0asK0#t=5m16s

Abuse of save states makes me sick!

I got deep into that game (on my PSX!) before I got to the point in one of the sigma(I think?) stages where you can't progress past a jump if you happen to be wearing the shadow armor and gently caress if I was going to beat the boss I had just beat wearing anything else. So I guess it's the only MM game that has really defeated me.

edit: and I always killed Woodman first in 2 because a wooden robot pissed me off as a child.

Cordialatron
Jun 28, 2004

I know I'm some kind of interplanetary agent but I don't think my signals are decoding properly.
Quick Man then Heat Man is the only way to go.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Swilo posted:

Every time I play I realize I keep dying at the exact same place. I try to get past that falling-blocks lava pit but almost immediately I fall to the bottom... if I had Item 2 then I could just get past but every single time I try, I just can't beat Air Man.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Every time I play I realize I keep dying at the exact same place. I try to get past that falling-blocks lava pit but almost immediately I fall to the bottom... if I had Item 2 then I could just get past but every single time I try, I just can't beat Air Man.
You... You can't beat Air Man? You mean his stage or actually him? His stage I could understand, but he's basically target practice.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Orgophlax posted:

You... You can't beat Air Man? You mean his stage or actually him? His stage I could understand, but he's basically target practice.

They're lyrics from Air Man ga Taosenai.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Orgophlax posted:

Yeah, I can't avoid his tornado attacks. Going behind him gets me blown away by wind at some point or another. I tried doing timed barrages as well, but there's no point against the tornados. So I'm saving up E Cans for a surefire victory next time!

:v: Shadow Ninja's got it. (Maybe next time I shouldn't try and translate it myself.)

vvvv vindicatioooooon

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 18, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Pollyanna posted:

:v: Shadow Ninja's got it. (Maybe next time I shouldn't try and translate it myself.)

For what it's worth, your translation sounds better and makes more sense than some of the subtitles in that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I cleaned up the silhouettes from the trailer, should I post them or is still considered spoiler territory?