Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I was half right, they're both bad.

It's not the wall-to-wall edge I thought it would be based on the leaked scripts from a decade ago but the CV show still has that late-'90s American OVA vibe that I'm not really into. I get why people like it, it's fine, I don't want to watch it, I'm eagerly awaiting a game adaptation.

I barely saw any of the MM show and don't remember anything about it besides it looking like poo poo. Did it even officially get cancelled or is it still in limbo with a zillion unaired episodes?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I barely saw any of the MM show and don't remember anything about it besides it looking like poo poo. Did it even officially get cancelled or is it still in limbo with a zillion unaired episodes?

It had a full 52 episodes, which are watchable on Cartoon Network's website. I haven't seen it all myself, but what I remember was "It's a kid's show with some decent writing and great MM fanservice."

https://twitter.com/protodude/status/1026669796144885760

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C108ZJdteT4

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

BOOM! Studios, in partnership with WildBrain Ltd. and Dentsu Entertainment USA, today announced MEGA MAN: FULLY CHARGED, a brand new six-issue comic book series from Mega Man: Fully Charged television series writers A.J. Marchisello and Marcus Rinehart, along with artist Stefano Simeone (Read Only Memories) and acclaimed comics creators and TV/film executive producers, creators, and writers, Man of Action Entertainment.

https://comic-watch.com/news/news-watch-meet-the-all-new-mega-man-in-a-fully-charged-comic-book-series-from-boom-studios

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kickstarters for MMX games are probably a dime a dozen, but this one looks kinda neat and is already funded, though I'm always wary of how well people can transition the style to 3d.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adamkareem/protodroid-delta-0

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'll read it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

chumbler posted:

Kickstarters for MMX games are probably a dime a dozen, but this one looks kinda neat and is already funded, though I'm always wary of how well people can transition the style to 3d.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adamkareem/protodroid-delta-0

Looks like a mix between modern Sonic and MMX7. I hope they succeed.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
He's currently set to get a little over $28K from this. I hope that's enough for the pre-made assets and everything because someone needs to try and make X7 again.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

There's a thread in GBS about that weird Brazilian Megaman comic.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently Capcom are looking for licencing partners to produce 20th Anniversary Battle Network merch next year so maybe we'll end up getting a MMBN Legacy Collection from them eventually.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lurdiak posted:

drat this post aged well.

I like the Castlevania show.

Also the Megaman Fully Charged Show Grew on me. It's for kids, but it was fun and had some cool ideas. It helped once we learned that the show creators were told by Capcom to do their own thing and not attach it to any of the game series.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Limited Run Games is putting out individual physical versions of Blaster Master Zero & BM Zero 2 for Switch/PS4, as well as vinyl: https://limitedrungames.com/

They're also doing retail versions of the new Shantae game, which just hit consoles & PC - it's more of a metroidvania than the last one and has Studio Trigger cutscenes, but it's nothing drastically different.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're also doing retail versions of the new Shantae game, which just hit consoles & PC - it's more of a metroidvania than the last one and has Studio Trigger cutscenes, but it's nothing drastically different.

I played through the first boss tonight, and it has really tight controls and an excellent dash. If it maintains this feel it should be great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Apparently Capcom are looking for licencing partners to produce 20th Anniversary Battle Network merch next year so maybe we'll end up getting a MMBN Legacy Collection from them eventually.
hell yea

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm extremely excited, I know there's no way in hell they'd ever go so far as having an online battle thing added, but I can at least hope for ways to get all the crazy tie-in chips and stuff.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
also I just realised that I typed out "Battle Network 20th Anniversary" and felt my bones turn a little more to dust

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm extremely excited, I know there's no way in hell they'd ever go so far as having an online battle thing added, but I can at least hope for ways to get all the crazy tie-in chips and stuff.

In the Wii U Virtual Console versions they made it so you could get all the multiplayer-unlockable and secret chips, though I think the Boktai ones mightn't have been available in one of the games they should have been, so I assume they'd do the same thing for a theoretical Legacy Collection.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Homora Gaykemi posted:

also I just realised that I typed out "Battle Network 20th Anniversary" and felt my bones turn a little more to dust

In the Wii U Virtual Console versions they made it so you could get all the multiplayer-unlockable and secret chips, though I think the Boktai ones mightn't have been available in one of the games they should have been, so I assume they'd do the same thing for a theoretical Legacy Collection.

The Boktai crossover stuff was removed from MMBN6, yeah.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Boktai stuff cut from MMBN6 was during the localization, no additional stuff was cut for Wii U. I really hope that cut content is reimplemented in a Legacy Collection

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Boktai's a Konami property though isn't it? that might be enough of a hassle that Capcom just decides not to bother with it, regardless of if Konami'd be down or not

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just played/beat X4 for the first time. What an awesome game.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Agreed. I replayed X4 recently as well and it holds up really well. I think my only complaint about it is that most of the special weapons only seem to deal 1 damage to regular enemies so you don't really have much of a reason to experiment with them.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
X4 was the first Megaman game that I ever played that got me to use special weapons regularly because of the head upgrade. That and the fact you could use the normal buster with the special weapon equipped was a huge eye opener for me. As a child I never used special weapons for anything other than boss fights and just buster'd my way through everything. I then realized how much easier the games would have been if I had regularly used the weapons that could hit at odd angles to hit enemies in weird spots.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sea Lily posted:

Boktai's a Konami property though isn't it? that might be enough of a hassle that Capcom just decides not to bother with it, regardless of if Konami'd be down or not

The Boktai stuff in MMBN4 and 5 and what remained in 6 was still on Wii U. It wasn't cut for licensing reasons, it was cut because the Battle Network games were published on the smallest GBA carts possible and the english script increased the filesize, and so whole maps were cut from BN6 to compensate.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I played X3 yesterday. Upon getting to the first doppler stage, I've found myself stuck. I can't make it up the shrinking walls, even holding dash. Watching videos of people easily do it on youtube makes it more annoying, this is the hardest section I've encountered in a Mega Man game and it seems pedestrian for most people. I don't get what's not clicking with me.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Spacebump posted:

I played X3 yesterday. Upon getting to the first doppler stage, I've found myself stuck. I can't make it up the shrinking walls, even holding dash. Watching videos of people easily do it on youtube makes it more annoying, this is the hardest section I've encountered in a Mega Man game and it seems pedestrian for most people. I don't get what's not clicking with me.

Do NOT hold dash. That's what's tripping you up.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Stink Terios posted:

Do NOT hold dash. That's what's tripping you up.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try again later. Everywhere else I found advice on seemed to suggest it was only possible holding dash.

edit: I did it! Thank you so much!

edit 2: Beating Mega Man X3 was the most satisfied after beating a game in a long time. The sections I got hung up on seem like they aren't that hard, adding to my frustration. I left my Switch on for days so I wouldn't have to start over at Doppler 1.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 3, 2020

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Is Mega Man X6 really as bad as I've read? I'm trying to decide between attempting to play that (and maybe x7/x8) or just moving on to the Zero series.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
X6 is a weird game where you can see glimmers of greatness sometimes, but Capcom decided to screw the pooch with annoying or nonsensical level design (like, you can straight up get trapped in levels just because you unknowingly went for a power up too early)

X7 is probably still worse

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

X7 is incompetently made because the team behind it has no idea how to properly implement their ideas for a 3D Mega Man X game.

X6 is a malicious mess of a game.

Say what you will about X7, but it doesn't have an endgame stage that's impossible to complete if you brought the wrong armor for X, or have so many spikes lying around.

EDIT: If you're really set on playing X6 and are doing it on the PSX, here's a patch that fixes a ton of bugs and gameplay issues in X6.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
X6 is really bad, but it's also one of the most interesting games I've ever played. It's fascinating how wrong it is in many places, despite the designers ostensibly having 5 other X games and who knows how many other Mega Man games of experience.

Also, its ineptitude combined with its often intentional cruelty makes for a unique - if often highly frustrating - meta-challenge. Because the stages are so uneven in length, challenge and dickishness, and the secrets are so obtuse and require other, also secret stuff to even enter, you have to craft your route through the game completely differently. When before it was mostly a matter of boss weakness order, or getting e.g. Item-2 for Heat Man, now you have to think about getting a screen-clearing weapon for those goddamn donuts, but that means beating Metal Shark Player or Infinity Mijinion, both of whom have super hard stages, so maybe find the weakness for the latter's miniboss at least, which is Rainy Turtloid, but you just tried Mijinion and failed so Turtloid has that abysmal darkness effect, so you need to activate its other nightmare effect, which means visiting...and so on.

It's absolutely worth playing imo but...don't expect a good fun platformer.

X7 is just awful

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I find the crushing walls in X2 to be a lot more of a crapshoot than X3's.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

X6 could've been a solid MMX game, but it was so thoroughly rushed that it ends up feeling more like the alpha/beta of a mediocre MMX game. There's interesting things in it, but there's also stuff that should never have gotten past playtesting (or even the design phase).

That said, I occasionally go back to X6, but I've only ever gone back to X5 once.

X7, the only nice thing I've ever heard or seen about it is the soundtrack- everything else is just bad.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

X6 is really bad, but it's also one of the most interesting games I've ever played. It's fascinating how wrong it is in many places, despite the designers ostensibly having 5 other X games and who knows how many other Mega Man games of experience.

I mean, IS it made by a crew with five other X games under their belt? Serious question, iirc X3 was largely made by another team than X1-2 which kinda explains at least some of its weird things (tons of poo poo to collect in a six-hour game, bosses that kinda love running back and forth, samey SFC/SNES OST, levels in general having constant roadblock enemies unless you made sure to kill Crush Crawfish ASAP) so it would honestly be more surprising if the staff was mostly the same since X6 lacks so many basic “this is a cool idea but kinda unfun as is so let’s fix that”.

Then again not having enough time to make the game would also explain things...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, IS it made by a crew with five other X games under their belt? Serious question, iirc X3 was largely made by another team than X1-2 which kinda explains at least some of its weird things

X3 was made by the team that made the Game Boy games.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Takoluka posted:

X3 was made by the team that made the Game Boy games.

So that's why some maps felt so spacious and empty.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spacebump posted:

I left my Switch on for days so I wouldn't have to start over at Doppler 1.

That's the gen-u-ine Mega Man experience my droog!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The staff of X6 had mostly worked on X5 and the gameboy color Xtreme games. For a lot of them, X5 was their first game.

The leader of the project, Okohara, had directed MM4/5/6, so had at least some experience under his belt but was probably unused to the bigger picture concepts the X series tended to have.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Funfact, a fair amount of the X6 staff wound up working on the Viewtiful Joe spinoffs and then from there they wound up at Platinum, and a couple of them are fairly high up the totem pole there. So at least something good came of X6?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I bet they were the people behind needing to buy the dodge move in half of Platinum's games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ElegantFugue posted:

That said, I occasionally go back to X6, but I've only ever gone back to X5 once.

Being aggressively evil to the player is more memorable than bland mediocrity that has a tail end of horrible time sink bosses. Level 96 boss refights and shadow devil are worse than any crime X6 committed.