Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tell me about the Megaman RPGs. There's at least 10 of these loving things on the handhelds alone. Are any of them any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Most of the MM9 arrange album sucked but the Tornado Man arrangement by the MM8 guy is awesome (original here).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Swilo posted:

Wow, I had no clue they were making a 10, that's awesome news if the same crew is responsible. The rear end in a top hat difficulty in 9 was so refreshing and true to the NES games, I especially liked how if you upped it to Hard or Hero it actually resulted in new enemy spawns rather than simply boosting their health or cutting your damage. The DLC was kind of a joke, though.

The extra difficulties were part of the DLC, so do you like it or don't you? I personally enjoyed it, especially Endless Mode, and it's not like they witheld core content in order to nickel-and-dime you like so many other games.

Anyway, since it hasn't been posted in this thread, here's the Megaman 10 reveal:

Click here for the full 1000x656 image.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
edit: motherfucker!^^^

Just found a scan of the second MM10 robot master:

Click here for the full 504x666 image.

Other miscellaneous MM10 poo poo - there'll be sewer, sports and computer-themed stages as well as desert and ice stages, and all the same features as MM9 (leaderboards, achievements, DLC) but no female robot masters. The Yashichi power-up is back, and Megaman will be missing the slide/charge shot again. Due for release in March.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The only game in the original series I'd consider to be over-the-top difficult is the first one, with 5 and 6 being several shades easier than the others (maybe not 4 but who remembers anything about 4?). I'm used to the Wily Wars versions of the first three games so playing the originals on the GC collection always fucks me over due to some of the timing differences (Gemini Man!).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Don't they call it Megaman 8.5 because theey found the phrase "ROCKMAN 8.5" buried in the SNES ROM somewhere?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sheep Man looks more like a cloud than a sheep so there's no way the name isn't just an Androids... reference.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wonder if MM10 will work like that GBC MMX game where you could choose to beat a level with either X or Zero but only the character that beats the level gets to use the weapon. That'd be kinda neat.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Me Clumsy posted:

I am a sucker for retro video games and Megaman is no exception. I have Megaman 1, 2 and 3 on the Wii Virtual Console, and this thread made me wonder how come Nintendo never released the rest of the NES series. Any clue?

Capcom would rather release every inferior console port of Street Fighter 2 first, it seems. I'm guessing that they think that less people will buy the new ones if there's a glut of old games up for download but I really don't know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CaptainCaveman posted:

Can anyone suggest a Genesis emulator and/or a specific rom for Wily Wars that will actually save the progress correctly? I've tried a couple different roms and a couple emulators, but none seem to actually work when they're supposed to save.

It's especially annoying because I beat Mega Man 1 on the thing before realizing it wasn't saving.

Here ya go - a patch that changes the save-type from EEPROM (which most emulators don't support) to SRAM (which all emulators support).

Wily Wars was my first real taste of Megaman and for the most part it's pretty faithful to the NES games but thanks to being in a PAL region I had the 50HZ version, some of which was retimed to play at regular speed and some of which (most notably the music) runs slower than it should. It was only when I played MM3 on the Anniversary Collection and got confused when Gemini Man kicked the poo poo out of me that I realised the difference in speed.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, the PS2/Xbox versions of Anniversary Collection are of better quality - the Gamecube port has the reversed controls which aren't re-mappable, it's missing the arranged music for the earlier games and the sound emulation in MM1 is buggy and makes the sound effects really goddamn annoying. I don't think the PS2/Xbox versions wrk correctly via backwards compatibility, though. There's also an MMX collection for Gamecube/PS2 that are comparable in quality but playing those games on a GC pad is a pain in the arse.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DrNutt posted:

Actually, I have the collection on Xbox and it works great on my 360. But then again, ymmv.

I was under the impression that either the PS2 or the Xbox version wouldn't run MM8 on PS3/360. It might be limited to a certain console region, or I could be entirely wrong, I don't know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
GG Megaman was made by US Gold so it's a wonder the drat thing even works properly.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wheel Man or whatever (the motorbike dude) translates horribly to 8-bit. Also, it wasn't until I saw the 8-bit sprite that I realised those brown bits on Sheep Man were the horns and the black bit with the white dots was its face - I'd been seeing the horns as eyes and thought it was pulling a cross between :downs: and :haw:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm playing ZX Advent for the first time, goddamn this sucks. Too much Metroidvania and cutscenes and NPC garbage and not enough anything else. I wish I'd seen that Zero Collection announcement sooner so I wouldn't have wasted my money on this one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Too many of the levels were based on dumb gimmicks and there wasn't enough straight-up platforming. The music rules, though. Ichiyama or whoever it was should do more MM stuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm listening to the music now and I think it's pretty cool and a nice change from the usual hyperactive poo poo but it does sound like it'd be better suited to an X game or something else that would allow for a bigger arrangement.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Evil Eagle posted:

In preparation for MEGA MONDAY I bought the Superhero mode DLC for Mega Man 9, and while it's pretty dumb to be paying extra for a difficulty mode I'd say that it's worth it. If anything, it's like playing 9 fresh again because the enemy placements are all different and some other parts of the stage are changed.

Pretty fun, and I hope it's an option for 10. Even if it is DLC I'll probably get it.

10 has a Hard mode for sure - it's not available from the beginning but since the one of the 360 achievements is tied to beating the game on Hard then it seems like it's a free unlockable rather than DLC.

Anyway, here's the MM10 thread I made the other day, for anyone who cares.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MM5 is one of my favourites from the NES era - I like all the different stages themes/gimmicks, it had the best music and the game actually rewarded you for using the charge shot unlike MM4 which pretty much forced you to use it on everything.

My own rating: MM9 > MM2 > MM5 > MM3 > MM10 > MM&B > MM6 > MM8 > MM1 > MM7 > MM4

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He said it's not coming to Wiiware due to the filesize cap but that it might come to retail if they decide it'll sell (hint: it won't).

greatn posted:

What's the obsession with Mega man 2? It's like Inafune for some reason thinks that's the only game anybody liked.

Inafune has bitter memories about 3 due to Capcom forcing it out the door before he could finish it, and he sees the later games as uninspired and formulaic.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Whatever happened to the Uchiyama dude who did the MM8 soundtrack, anyway? He did something for the MM9 arrange album (Tornado Man remix, maybe the only good tune on the disc) and contributed Chill Man's stage music for MM10, and that's pretty much it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This is all I've got:

quote:

Inafune considers Mega Man 3 as one of his least favorite Mega Man games. In an interview with Nintendo Power in the October 2007 issue, Inafune explained that he was disappointed with: "...what went into the game and what was behind the release of the game." He also stated that he was forced to put the game out before he thought it was ready and during the game's production, the developers lost the main planner, so Inafune had to take over that job for completing the game. Inafune concluded, "I knew that if we had more time to polish it, we could do a lot of things better, make it a better game, but the company (Capcom) said that we needed to release it. The whole environment behind what went into the production of the game is what I least favored. Numbers one and two - I really wanted to make the games; I was so excited about them. Number three - it just turned very different."

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Jewel Satellite does nothing against the many, many pits and irritatingly placed spike traps. Almost none of my deaths in MM9 came from loss of health, but I still can't really get through it.

Yeah, I think that's the big difference between MM9 and the other classic games - the other games would stagger the instadeath environmental hazards between longer stretches filled with enemies or gimmicky items or whatever, whereas MM9 is all killer, no filler and doesn't bother with anything that doesn't pose a real challenge.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The DS Zero collection has an easy mode that combines all four games into one long game and automatically gives you all the ELF upgrade things which makes things substantially easier.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The difference is that Megaman has a stupid rabid fanbase as opposed to Street Fighter or whatever which barely even has a plot.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Z/ZX devs (Inti Creates) are working on MM Universe right now so you'll be able to make your own sequel to X8 in no time!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MM10 had way better level design than MM9. MM9 was all pits and spikes, so once you had them sussed it was a cakewalk.

MM10 did manage to have a worse soundtrack than MM9 despite bringing back all the OG composer to write the stage tunes, though, which is something I'll never understand.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like seriously when's the last time they made a Final Fight or Strider or Darkstalkers or Ghosts n' Goblins?

There was a new Final Fight game release for PS2/XBOX in 2006 called Final Fight Streetwise. It's terrible. If the rumours are to be believed, the American studio that made the game originally wanted to use cel-shaded graphics and new character designs from original FF/SF designer Akiman, but Capcom Japan wanted them to make a gritty modern reboot influenced by GTA, so the game sits somewhere in the middle and doesn't really capture either approach.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
20%? The backtracking goes on for the entire game. There isn't a single secret or interesting segment of level design anywhere, and it doesn't even have a billion enemies to make up for it like the Castlevania games do. Like the other dude said, I really wanted to like it but it was massively disappointing. I wouldn't even compare it to a Mega Man game, really.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are three Wonderswan MM games, from memory - Rockman and Forte 2, Battle Chip Challenge and another platformer that I forget the name of that was based on Rockman EXE and conceptually similar to that one Gamecube game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Skychrono posted:

Huh, weird! They couldn't just do like Square and put a rom and an emulator on a disc, I guess.

The plan was for a handheld anniversary collection for GBA that contained colourised versions of the first five Game Boy games, which would have necessitated the games to be ported rather than emulated.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think they already confirmed that they won't. I remember them saying the anniversary is in December, so they're not gonna start hyping it until later in the year.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cuchulain posted:

9's difficulty comes entirely from an overabundance of one hit kills and bottomless pits.

gently caress that last underwater jump in the Wily stages. :argh:

Yeah, MM9 isn't really that hard, it's just full of pits and spikes and whatnot; once you've got 'em sussed you'll fly through every level.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mister Roboto posted:

Even if the Japanese suits go "Fine, only the Americans like Megaman now, give them something that we slap together" it's still better than NOTHING.

Are you sure about that? Do people really want a DmC-ified Mega Man?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Arthur from Ghosts'n'Goblins?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Isn't it a badly-kept secret that Inafune isn't actually the "creator of Megaman" or whatever, and that he was actually designed by someone else but credited to Inafune?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, okay. I wasn't sure if there was any truth to it or if it was just a case of disgruntled fans trying to downplay the importance of someone they've decided they don't like, in the same way that Castlevania fans do to IGA or Zelda fans do to Aonuma or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neo Rasa posted:

This game's a lot of fun, just avoid the handheld releases as they're all pretty bad (they do the budget GBA port "trick" of just cropping the viewable area instead of actually taking the resolution of the handheld into account).

The 3DS version isn't cropped, it's zoomed way the hell out to the point where all the gorgeous art is just a blurry mess (also it's 30FPS and there's no multiplayer).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One thing I always expected (ie hoped for) was a 3D, third-person MM game for Wii - not a Legends game or some other wacky thing, but something akin to the original series... selectable stages, Robot Masters, the whole bit, just in 3D with Sin & Punishment-style controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MM10 has much better level design than MM9.