Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

It also meant that, if you really wanted to, you could just skip every single mission until the base is invaded the second time. I imagine on runthroughs like that, Ciel and the Resistance are super disappointed in the old robot they dug up, only to just stare in awe as it proceeds to beat back an invasion and fight through Neo Arcadia.

Speaking of fighting through Neo Arcadia, I kind of wish you got an option to go through all four stages at once instead of stopping to take a break. I mean, all four of them are actually connected if you just walk through them normally, but if you do that you just get the resistance base music and that's terrible.

I'm pretty sure you can do this in the first game. Just head straight through the door into the next area instead of going to the transserver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Huh, really? Then how does the game handle you skipping your rank screen and all the story?

And then you look at the BN/SF timeline where they basically hit world peace in like two centuries. The moral of the story is that when you have a choice between a magical, sentient internet amoeba and magical, questionably sentient robots, go with the internet.

If you're talking about the fortess stages any story scenes happen when you beat the stage and I beleive the results screen comes up during the transition to the next one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I can see that working for Tower to Core, but from Shrine to Tower the story scene happens after you transfer back to base. Unless the game lets you skip it, which would actually be pretty cool.

Either way, this is something I should go try out.

I don't remember the scene from Shrine to Tower but I know Tower to Core works (Ceil will automatically give her little speech when you try to walk through the door behind her).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Was Rockman & Forte: Challenger from the Future for the Wonderswan actually made by Capcom, or just licensed out to someone else? Does it count? Is it a "real" Mega Man game? Because if it is, then that one is hands down the worst.

Unless you count Mega Man and Mega Man 3 for MS-DOS. Then those are the worst. But they weren't actually made by Capcom, but rather Hi-Tech Labs.

Mega Man for Game Gear is also loving terrible. Also not made by Capcom, but rather US Gold. Yes, Wily Wars wasn't the only Mega Man released on a Sega console! (Mega Man 8, X3 and X4 were also released for Saturn. I actually own 8 and X4 and used to have it for Game Gear. Playing Mega Man on a Sega is so weird! Although Saturn 8 is better and adds a poo poo ton of stuff, namely Cut Man and Wood Man as sub-bosses.)

I guess these games are all technically official, given that Capcom gave them the license to make them, but they are all really loving obscure and pretty much no one ever acknowledges their existence. If you DO acknowledge them, then yes, R&F Wonderswan, MM1 DOS, MM3 DOS, and GG MM are the four worst classic Mega Man games ever made, far worse than MMIIGB and MM&B.

But yeah, if we're just counting the "main", not super obscure series, non-spinoff, 2D platformers, meaning 1-10, I-V and MM&B, then yeah, MMII GB and MM&B are the worst ones.

Man, that was a really :spergin: post about semantics I did!

It was made by Bandai and aside from having a slight connection to MMII GB I'm not really sure it counts.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 3, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Man posted:

How broken is Storm Tornado in Maverick Hunter X? Well I'll tell you.

Get the arm part from Dr. Light so you can charge up your special weapons. Charge up Rolling Shield so you have a barrier around you. Use L or R to change weapons and you will still have the barrier up. I recommend Storm Tornado while wearing the shield.

Even without it Storm Tornado is basically the Metal Blade of the X series. It tears through most normal enemies in one hit, uses little energy and with the sheer amount of weapon energy drops in this game you pretty much have infinite ammo. Only difference is that unlike the Metal Blade only a few bosses are actually weak to it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 19, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Man posted:

You know how that came about, right?

Is there a reason they decided to go with roman numerals for the GB games instead of just leaving the title as Megaman World 1-5 like they were in Japan?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's not required to beat the bosses. The two ways are beat all 8 bosses or rescue 64 Reploids. You can just suicide out of a level after rescuing the Reploids in it.

Not that either is a good idea on Capcom's part.

It's also probably the only game in the series where X is the best of the available character options, Zero has strong attacks but for some reason they took away the speed he had in previous games(though his double jump is still useful in parts, making him decent to have as a partner) and Axl doesn't get good until X8.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 27, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Panic Restaurant posted:

Also the article reminded me that Teisel Bonne's voice actor is a convicted pedo, and that's depressing. :smith:

Wait, what? When did this happen?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

X1 has absurdly good subweapons.

Storm Tornado is basically a Metal Blade in that there's almost no reason to unequip it once you get it and Rolling Shield with the charge buster is one of the best shields in the franchise. Some of them are kinda eh outside of wrecking bosses but Storm Tornado alone should be a must-use.

It's even better in the PSP version which allows you to use other weapons while the charged Rolling Shield is still equipped.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pick-e posted:

At this point I'm pretty much immune to this kind of thing since so many platformers have done MM ZX games, MM Powered Up, countless Mario, Yoshi and Sonics... I think Gunvolt did it to.

While Aile is pretty great, you're going to be missing out on a lot of booty by not choosing Ashe.

Yeah, I like Advent well enough but they really should have picked a better euphemism for treasure than "booty" as it made for some awkward lines.

"You're my booty, and my friend"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shine posted:

Metal Gear Solid V includes a Mega Man X boss generator.

Though to be fair, Metal Gear and Megaman X have always had simillar naming schemes for their bosses (Vulcan Raven, Revovler Ocelot, Laughing Octopus, etc.). Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional seeing as Kojima and Inufune were apparently friends and there was that whole Boktai tie in in the last 3 Battle Network games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

That's how I always did it. Game magazines always said to start with Neon Tiger but I always found him way too hard to start with without any heart tanks/weapons/sub tanks.

I always started with Blast Hornet myself, his stage is easy enough to deal with unarmored and once you get his pattern down you can buster duel him without much trouble.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

I'm not sure if it's accessible without cheats in X4.

The only games you can get it without cheats are X5, X8 and Command Mission.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Downloading it off the Wii U E-shop now, I saw there was update data attached to at as well so maybe they already patched out the major problems with that version.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not anymore though, they just released an update for it a little while ago.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Now that I've played past the intro stage the gameplay itself isn't that bad, even the whole "dash into enemies to defeat them" thing was easier to get the hang of than I thought (though most minor enemies will go down to the normal buster if you shoot them long enough). The controls can be reconfigured and the voice acting can be turned off (though I didn't think it was that terrible honestly. Not good mind you, but I've certaintly heard worse). For those that have played a bit, which of the 8 stages/bosses is the easiest one to start with?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 21, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

As awful as Sonic Boom was, at least it didn't hardlock the Wii U like MN9 does and the game has a lot more going on graphically to boot. Lost World was mediocre and Sonic Boom was awful, but MN9 is mediocre and has crippling technical problems on a lot of systems that can make it drat near unplayable. I'm hearing reports of the PSN codes not working, the Steam version randomly deleting your save files and ridiculous load times followed by hard locks of the Wii U version.

There's been an update to the Wii U version so it doesn't do that anymore, not sure about the other versions though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I took on Battalion first. He was tough but I beat him. After you beat your first boss I recommend clicking on all the bosses to see which one has advice labeled under it. That means that the boss you beat will help you on that stage and that you got the weakness weapon for boss you are going to select.

Also I am finding the game fun. Pretty tough but fun. But as mentioned I am very hard to displease. After I beat the main game and Ray I think will go through it again as Ray just to see how much everything changes. Because Ray is apparently very different from Beck. (Also more interesting and fun from what I hear.)

I did Dynatron first which was probably a mistake as I nearly game overed on her (and that was with my life counter set to 9, which you can change in the options menu) before finally winning on my last life through sheer attrition. From what I've gathered, the weakness chain is as follows:

Battalion
Seismic
Brandish
Dynatron
Countershade
Aviator
Pyrogon
Cryosphere

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I'd say way better, but that was a fangame made by one guy who had no idea it'd ever get released officially. Not the highest bar to clear.

Not at all. It did hardlock freeze in specific spots for a bit but apparently that's already been hotfixed (though I'm not 100% on that). The bricking stuff is just people trying to add to the hate train because bandwagons are fun.

Yes, there was an update for it almost immediatly after the game went up on the E-shop that patched that problem out. I'm honestly having fun with it aside from the 30 second load times (that not only come up when loading menus or cutscenes but also every time you die). Though I'm not sure if that particular issue is exclusive to the Wii U version or if they're that long on the other platforms as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

Wait, is that what the "AxCel Recovery" things do? No, really, this game doesn't explain enough and I have no idea what those things do.

Christ, checking the loving "tips" section as I alt-tab back.

E: Hey, no tip in the tip section. Joy.

Yes, those are full heals though you have to build them up a bit first by absorbing enemies with blue energy (a little blue circle will appear under your life bar when it's full, at which point you can use it either in the pause menu or by pressing the " - " button).

Honestly, if they make a sequel (which I wouldn't mind actually) I hope they either tone down the dash mechanic or provide a long range equivalent to it as well like maybe a charged shot or have the special weapons serve the same functionality. The worst example of this is probably during the Avi fight where if he's too far away from you when he starts flashing it's nearly impossible to hit him with the dash without killing yourself in the process.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 22, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

I started poking around at them and am not sure what the difference in the two AxCels are. I only mention that because the item-bot before the final boss dropped an item that filled my 2nd tank, but not the first tank. Good to know though.

As for the Avi fight, if he's in his high pause position doing the left-right-left (or reverse) swoops, you can dash to whatever side he's on, stand directly beneath him, jump, and dash at the peak to land it. The AoE for the dash stretches in an sphere around him of indeterminate size.

As far as I know they're both the same, and good to know thanks but I was thinking more along the lines of when he does the attack where he flies up and down the sides of the screen firing at you (I personally found the best chance to damage/dash into him is when he's flying around with that little drone following him. You can use Shade's weapon to reflect your shots off it and hit him that way, dashing into him when he swoops down).

Another change I'd like is for the AxCell Recovers to work more like Sub-Tanks (that is, you could use them for a partial health recovery even if they weren't completely full), rather than having to get them completely full first like is the case here. Either that or make it so dashing into enemies/bosses restores some of your health (it already seems to recharge your weapon energy slightly so why not).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 22, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is it actually possible to break out of Pryo's grab attack at all (the one that instant kills you)? Also, I completed the DLC stage so how do I play as Ray? Do you have to beat the game first?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 22, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how exactly do you unlock Ray? I completed the DLC stage early but despite the game telling me she's available I haven't figured out how to play as her. Do you have to complete the main game first?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Stage select, press up, and switch to her.

Ah that was it, thanks. Out of curiosity, since I took her on pretty much right after I finished the intro stage, is Ray weak to any specific form during the fight with her?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone have the boss weakness order handy? I mostly just wanna see the robots showing up to help in as many stages as I can. :frogbon:

Keep in mind that, just between taxes and kickstarter's cut, it was already more like a 3 million dollar project.

Yup, I'm not sure who the best starting robot is but I went:

Dynatron (this was clearly the wrong choice in retrospect)
Countershade
Aviator
Pyrogon
Cryosphere
Battalion (a pretty easy boss as well, especially with his weakness)
Seismic
Brandish

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 22, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally had a chance to try out the other characters, Call is decent at getting around and her barrier comes in handy at times but she kind of sucks in combat as she can only fire one shot at a time and has no means of recovering health other than energy pickups.

Ray, while being more of a short-ranged attacker and having the gimmick of her health constantly depleting, is actually pretty fun to play as (she's quick and can absorb Xel just by attacking enemies which makes boss fights a lot more tolerable as you no longer have to stop to dash into them every so often and can just keep up the attack). I also kind of like the hand-drawn stills she has for her cutscenes as well (in fact, they're probably the best looking thing in this game). Can Ray get weapons from the Mighty Numbers like Beck can? And if so, do they function any differently for her?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 23, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Starting a Ray playthrough now, any ideas on which boss is best for her to start with? Also I'm a bit surprised they didn't have any boss refights in the final level (though that was a good thing in my opinion seeing as some of them were annoying to deal with even with their weaknesses).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 23, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I finally got around to playing Mighty No. 9 last night. Only got up to beating one boss (Pyrogen) before I went to bed early due to a headache I was having.

Shockingly it's nothing completely unplayable, but it's kinda mediocre so far. The xel absorption system is really awkward and there's dumb instant-death traps everywhere, the latter being made worse by the fact that you can get knocked back into them (there's been more than one occasion where a fireball knocked me back into a collapsing pillar).

Call's voice reminds me too much of Tikal from Sonic Adventure 1.

Spikes in this game also ignore mercy invinciblity like they did in Megaman 1, why they brought that back of all things is beyond me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, but do we have a specific realese date for Gunvolt 2 yet (I finally decided to download and play the original after beating MN9. Not sure why I waited so long as it's really good)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Also is it me or is Dr. White just like the most unlikable poo poo? Like I loving hated that rear end in a top hat.

It did strike me as amusing that the Dr. Wily analouge in this game was actually a better person than the Dr. Light analouge.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 23, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes, but the ones that did have both did them poorly, which is what I am saying. ZX and ZXA have bad voice acting and cutscenes, but they are not the worst the series has to offer.

ZX's voice acting is entirely in Japanese and only present in a few short cutscenes. Advent is the only one that has full voice acting throughout (though the Japanese version of the original had this too but in the American version it was all cut out aside from the anime cutscenes and voice clips during boss battles and when switching forms).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 24, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

ZXA's voice acting is entirely justified by Albert's VA being hammy as all hell.

I believe they used the same group of actors that they did in X7. I know Grey was voiced by the guy who did X at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

here's a video of Gunvolt 2, featuring an Inti employee managing to fall in a pit during Anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtAHWVJ0D3k&t=665s

I kind of hope they introduce the concept of the bosses having weaknesses in this one rather than just rely on the "shoot a few times, zap until the tag goes away, repeat" method from the last game. Though since Copen is playable and, judging by the trailer, can get weapons from defeated Adepts this might end up being the case.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Star Force 1 is an incredibly mediocre game. The best thing you can say about it is that it has the best writing in the trilogy, which is not exactly a very high bar to clear.

Star Force 2 is pretty much a lazy expansion to the first game. Doesn't try to do anything different, and doesn't really improve any of the core gameplay concepts, so it's pretty drat boring. It lets you shatter the game difficulty over your knee from literally the instant you have access to the pause menu, though. That's something.

Star Force 3 is the best of the trilogy, and is worth playing. If you can stomach the fact that you're skipping to the end of a trilogy anyways; have fun figuring out who all these characters are and why you should care about any of them.

Operation Shooting Star is just bad. Straight up BN1 in all of its janky glory, with a dumb new Star Force scenario tacked on. You can and should play as Geo once you get the option, which leads to silly poo poo like Lan discovering his twin bond with some leftover data of some guy from the future.

The phone game or whatever that sidescroller was looked pretty meh. Never played it so I wouldn't know though.

I'm not sure any way exists for people who don't live in Japan to play the cellphone Battle Network games (unless some sort of emulation exists, I haven't been able to find anything), never heard of there being one for the Star Force series though.

To Operate Shooting Star's credit it did improve on a few things from the original BN1 (Chips you can't use are grayed out on the custom screen after selecting one, you can run from battles at any time by pressing the L button like you could in BN2 onward, and most importantly, they give you a map of your currrent area on the bottom screen with important locations marked so you're not blindly going through Internet Areas that all look the same). Kind of a pity it wasn't released here as otherwise I would pretty much consider it the definitive version of the first Battle Network game.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 12, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

If you end up doing it again, try the fully charged rolling shield next time. The fully charged rolling shield is ridiculously good in that game because you can switch weapons while in the shield.

Yeah, I typically just activate the charged Rolling Sheild at the start of the stage, then use Storm Tornado to obliterate everything in the way (switching to Fire Wave to get rid of the mole tanks faster). As long as you play it this way nothing should be able to touch you (though I think you still need to have 4 full Sub Tanks before the capsule will appear).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

I finally beat Mega Man 7 yesterday and it grew on me a bit. Some of the Wily castle bosses were fun, and I can see one of them inspired one of the Shovel Knight bosses.

Is that FC remake something you can play on a real NES or is it some PC game thing?

I think I'm going to play the Game Gear one next.

It's a fan game so PC only, they also made one for Mega Man 8 as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

It's weird how Mother Brain was like the main villain but Samus was only in the comic books.

Or the fact that there were no Mario characters in the show (that I can remember anyway), which I always found a bit strange.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 13, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

probably had something to do with there being a mario cartoon airing?

i think the megaman cartoon was a little later.

There was a Zelda cartoon airing too but they still got an episode devoted to them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Black Mage Knight posted:

Copen continues to look way too fun.

Yeah, this looks a lot better than the first one from what I'm seeing. I kind of hope that since Copen can copy weapons from bosses they'll introduce the concept of bosses having weaknesses in this one rather than the first one where every boss was fought in the same manner.

Judging from the footage there also seems to be full voice acting in this one (though they still didn't bother to dub any of it for some reason). All and all, I'm looking forward to this. Do we have a specific release date yet or is it just Fall 2016 at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Isn't MM&B the one that reused bosses from 8? I remember being really bugged by that.

It reused the Megaman sprite, a lot of stage enemies, the Green Devil, two bosses (though they were given new attacks), and the Wily Machine at the end, everything else was new.