Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

A lot of people are dumping on the lady for saying something wrong. Never change, gamers.

Cool that we’re getting the X games rereleased on everything, especially Switch, but most of them are pretty terrible.

Eh, X1 and X4 stand well above the others, but X2-3, X5, and X8 are decent.

Although, I guess X6 and especially X7 drags things down a fair amount...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

We can talk about Gunvolt here, right? He’s pretty much electric anime Mega Man.

I saw that the Striker Pack with 1 and 2 is on sale for $20 at GameStop and I only played the 3DS version of the first game on release. It... kinda scratched that Mega Man itch but some of the bosses and levels were obnoxious.

But 2 lets you play as super anime Protoman, so that might be cool, I guess? What is the consensus on Gunvolt around here?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I dunno if I'm crazy, but I was pretty lukewarm on Gunvolt 1 and haven't gotten around to playing Gunvolt 2 despite owning both on the switch now, and I picked up iX despite not having heard of it before today, and... I'm actually digging Copen's gameplay way, way more than Gunvolt's

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

What I think is iX’s last boss is kind of annoying

this has been a problem in these games, but man they have got to work on balancing some of these graphical effects; I literally just cannot see Asimov between the bright pink lock on and all of these sparks and poo poo, and this seems like a boss where you gotta pinpoint his tells fast and he doesn’t even have audio cues for some. I know it doesn’t look as stylish, but the X, Zero, and ZX games never had this problem.

And Super Asimov hits like a truck and I’m racking my brain on how to deal with its Chain Meteor, one of the patterns just seems flat out undodgable and unlike anything in the game so far, you’re going to be taking damage no matter how many bullits you got.

It’s not a deal breaker, but it’s just kinda annoying since the fight is magnifying some hiccups in the game that wouldn’t bother me otherwise

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Going through Gunvolt 2 right now and... yeah, I think GV probably should have just played like Copen from the get go. And no default air dash makes GV seem kinda anemic gameplay wise.

Story-wise, holy gently caress all of these people are absolute weirdos. And Copen needs to lighten up, Jesus.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Argue posted:

Good lord this unskippable cutscene before the final boss in MMZ1

“Ha ha... you are so funny... It has been fun... Now, let’s get down to business!”

WARNING. X 100.

If this had voice acting, I bet it would share a room with the Shinobi PS2 final boss in terms of “dialogue that has been burned into my brain for the rest of my life because of multiple final boss attempts”

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Managed to wrap up the Zero series on the ZX Collection by blowing through 3 and 4 in one sitting this afternoon, and now I'm at ZX.

I... have some conflicting thoughts on the Zero series after going through them again. Yeah, when I was younger, I was on that "Zero series the true GOAT" train all day long. Now after replaying them for the first time in over a decade and a half, my mind keeps coming back to "maybe they weren't as good as you remembered." Like yeah, they are good games, but a lot of stuff was just... really loving annoying. The screen size kinda sucked for the entire series, so making blind jumps or enemies just running full speed at Zero after immediately getting onscreen always sucked. I don't think they ever really got the ranking system down as well as they should have. The EX-Skill stuff in Z3 and Z4 could have been better because having your rank before you actually start the mission being the deciding factor kinda blows, and tying weaknesses to the skills in Z4 is fine on paper, but if you're not doing super well against the bosses to start with, you're probably not going to be doing a lot better for the next boss by not having access to these skills.

I dunno, so much of the Zero series is based around restarting and perfecting your runs and I just... didn't have the patience or just wasn't in the right mindset for it this time.

Story is kinda meh until Z4; Zero is literally "Ciel just tell me where to go" for very game in the series and Z4 seems kinda late to start bringing in actual non-evil humans for the first time in a long, long time and Ciel doesn't count, she's like a lab baby who built an X replica as a child, but the payoff is definitely there.

I'm on ZX and the memories of this map system are slowly coming back to me and my reoccurring thought is always "why would they make it like this" ZX also squandered a really good opportunity to make a unique fusion of Zero and X. Instead, ZX is.... just Zero again

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Motto posted:

In Z4 you always get the EX Skill as long as you don't play the stage on the easy weather condition.

Gotcha, that makes sense. For a few stages I wasn't even clear on what was even considered an easy or hard weather condition outside of listening to the briefing and being like "well, if this is some kind of magnetism station, maybe a thunderstorm in that exact same area would be bad for Zero" until I caught the little flashing borders on the stage icons (in my defense, I played the entire thing on Switch handheld that those icons are tiny)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Oyster posted:

For those struggling with the best game of this collection's (ZX) worst aspect (the map), the dev team of the Collection released this.

Last night the game told me "go to area F" and I'm just like "I haven't even been to area E, where in the gently caress is area F" and I managed to luck my way over there by crossing over from Area B-3 or something.

They might as well just had included the full map in the actual game in the ZX Collection from the start, what the gently caress were they even smoking making it like this

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I guess I'm in the end stretch for ZX (have absolutely little memory of this game but I know I did finish it).

Area K loving sucks.

Also, gently caress this secret boss fight that is literally two rooms away from a regular story mission. The boss seems to completely break the rules and is just like "gently caress your invulnerability period after getting hit" and just combos you to death off of anything. This would be the moment I wish I could play Model X regularly, but someone at Capcom decided "nah, you don't need this, just play Zero again" because I swear the ZX buster shot just isn't as strong.

I am just... so over ZX at this point and I really, really hope ZX Advent ends up being better.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I went back and got all the life ups I missed, then rechallenged Omega. Eventually beat him, but I feel like I can let him slide with the 5-hit combo he does, but bumping into something and then you immediately get caught in some other random thing he does might be a bit too much IMO, at least on normal mode. I wouldn't call him my personal best boss in these kind of platformer/adventure-esque games (I still think low level Hard Mode Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia bosses take the cake for me here), but there's a lot of potential here.

Other than that, Prometheus and Pandora was kind of a boring fight (with a lot of it being me thinking "hurry this poo poo up and get back down here and fight me"), the last fight had some really loving awesome music, but pretty meh final bosses all around.

Now I'm starting on ZX Advent. When I went through ZX/ZXA on their DS releases, I went Aile and Grey, and now I'm doing Vent and Ashe.

It's my first time playing Ashe and my partner noped straight out of the room when that NPC poorly, but energetically delivered that "whet for booty" line. And how it's just kind of comedic because my mind is going "okay stop saying booty" but it keeps on happening.

But anyway, Ashe seems like a fun character.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 28, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

X6 is a weird game where you can see glimmers of greatness sometimes, but Capcom decided to screw the pooch with annoying or nonsensical level design (like, you can straight up get trapped in levels just because you unknowingly went for a power up too early)

X7 is probably still worse

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

They could have indicated that somewhere, but it's fine that they just ported the game itself with every version presented as it retailed back then. There MUST be fans of X7 who really enjoyed the super long boss fights and the challenge they presented, so it would be disappointing for those to not get exactly what they remembered, no?

I think they were within their rights to veto that if the dilemma is “should we keep this change that makes a lovely game even more lovely” even if there were a few weirdos that liked X7’s bosses

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Not going to lie, I'd take a lot more iX games over a Gunvolt 3

Tried so hard to get into the Gunvolt games but I just cannot bring myself to like the way the tag mechanics work there and I like Copen's maneuverability too much

edit: loving hell, watched the old gunvolt 3 trailer for the first time and they just straight gave him Copen's dash lmao

MechaX fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 26, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

The thing that is tripping me up with the chain saw is that it seems you have to be pretty deliberate in the button presses and timing for the 3 hit combo; I caught myself mashing like normal, but Copen usually just keeps holding the saw out

The English voice acting is.. eh; serviceable on average but some voices are much, much better than others

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah the overdrive/J-Pop music thing has been a thing since Gunvolt 1; for better or for worse, stuff like that and Kudos are kind of here to stay for this series

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Definitely going to plug at the hard mode because the normal ending.. well… it is technically a happy ending for copen’s crew but it glosses over a lot plus you accidentally killed what remaining life there was on that planet by taking down mother

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

That all sounds like something I’d be pretty enthused to play with iX 1 Copen, but iX 2 Copen? Maaaaaan I dunno, some of the boss patterns seem insanely hard to dodge and do a lot of damage with the way Copen plays now normally

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Dabir posted:

All of Inti's solo projects give off a strong vibe of wanting to make more MMZ but being too insecure to just make their own Zero. They're visibly constrained by having to overcomplicate the process of fighting enemies, just so that their protagonist isn't Simple Gun Man or Cool Sword Man.

I felt like iX 1 kinda did this right; yeah you’re still Brooding White & Pink Mega Man X but this time your maneuverability has skyrocketed

Unawakened Copen in iX 2 plays like a poor man’s Falcon Armor X+Zero combo and doesn’t really excel well in either category

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I’m watching the Gunvolt 3 trailer and I find it hilarious how the narrator is like “Gunvolt has attained an even higher evolution” and that evolution is “I can turn myself into a blue electric dog now”

Kirin’s gameplay looks fun but I’m cautiously optimistic since I got slightly burned by Copen 2

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

So I’m starting Gunvolt 3 and uh, I think I finished Gunvolt 2 in 2020 but it feels like I missed a whole rear end game between the two. But I do kind of like Kirin and Gunvolt’s dynamic, so I can’t really complain too much there

I need to figure out something about this control scheme though; trying to dash but also need to use three different attack buttons is something I am trying to get used to

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Dabir posted:

lmao yeah it kills you before READY even leaves the screen. Gets everyone at least once

It's such a weird "gently caress you" to the player that it feels like it's in X5 and not X6 by mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

poo poo, I played through X6 three times in a row when the anniversary collection came out because X6 has always been a fascinating game to me because of how it could have gotten things so right from X5 but managed to gently caress up in very, very interesting ways

It's still the second worst game in the series, right behind X7.