Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

There are far too many instances of absolutely asinine design all over the place to just chalk it up to "ah well it's all the screen size's fault". Those cheap-rear end floor tiles in Astro Man's stage that send you careening into the ceiling without warning. The entire overlong block puzzle in the same stage that's only over spikes, all the time. Magic Man's train of neverending poo poo, then the giant room with the spike cubes which is just annoying. Minibosses in multiple stages (Ground, Cold) which just have waaaaay too much health. Invisible holes in the floor in Burner Man, and an instantkill timed section with the giant firedropper which demands perfection or taking a few hits.

I can give you the trains and the giant Telly, but everything else you mentioned can be easily avoided.
So yeah, you're a pussy :colbert:
And I distinctly remember you don't liking the classic Sonic games for being "cheap", which further validates my point.

MM&B is everything MM8 should have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I really like MM8 though :v:.

Mind effortposting about why you like it since you're so good at that?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

quakster posted:

There was this one thread on some forum where a guy was going through MM2 from a game design standpoint and pointed out that the falling platforms on Bubble Man's stage are a dick move to first time players and then some huge insufferable sperglord shithead launched into a whiny rant about how flawless the game is.

Aren't those like, in the beggining of the stage so dying there is pretty much inconsequential?
As far as dick moves go, that's pretty tame.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Battle and Chase is terrible? The hell have you been drinking? It's one of the best kart racers of all time with all the customization and don't even get me started on the beautiful, beautiful soundtrack.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Hey guys, a goon made Mega Man fangame already exists:

Dectilon posted:

Time for a special treat!

A little over a year ago I was running a romhack thread, and Robot Goat decided to make a little game in game maker inspired by one of my terrible jokes (or, more likely, phiggle's awesome animation, as seen here.)

A short while later Robot Goat pm:d me and said that he was considering making a full megaman fangame, but that he wasn't happy with his level designs and asked me if I wanted to help. A chance to put theory into practice?! Of course I was in!

And now, we actually have something to present (well, robot goat does, he has done the vast majority of the work)! I give you:

download here!

It's an alpha you could say since we have a lot of levels and features left to add. But there are 8 playable levels, and I'd say that's something!

The controls start as z,x,arrows,enter but you can change them to anything.

The control scheme is the same as in megaman 5, so you have slide and megabuster.

I hope to have a little race of this at some point!

Man I can't wait for this to get finished. :allears:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Nothing will be worse than MM2GB. That in it's own category.

MM2GB has good tunes buried under bad instrumentation :colbert:

MM8's soundtrack is so bad I struggle to remember most songs.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Honestly, I like the MM2GB soundtrack even without it being remixed.
Even Metal Man.

Also the best versions hadn't been posted yet.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

I've yet to play a Megaman-styled game on a mobile phone that wasn't god-loving-awful in every conceivable way. The Megaman X remake for iOS made me long for the Gameboy titles.

As if the Game Boy titles were bad :colbert:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I didn't have any respect for that ball until I caught a speedrun.

Mega Ball is the best Metroid Powerup not present in a Metroid game.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

People would be praying that Capcom goes under.

People aren't doing that already?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Lets get out of the way. You would only want MMV and Xtreme 2.

Nobody wants MM2 or MM3 GB. :v:

Don't listen to this man. You want everything but MM2 and Xtreme 1.
Still gonna get'em though.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

alcharagia posted:

So I've never played Megaman Battle Network 2 before and I'm about to start. What kind of codes should I go for to create a good folder to start with? Also, how hard am I gonna find adjusting to not having a Navi Customizer, because I went loving crazy over that thing in 6 and I understand it was introduced for number 3.

G Code. Turn the game into paste.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I still maintain the opinion that X6 is the overall worst just for its horrible soundtrack, especially the intro stage.

Please visit an ear doctor. :ohdear:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

I got my Gunvolt codes for participating in the kickstarter, but it's only for North American 3DS's. :negative:

Nonono, that's Mighty Gunvolt, the generic 8-bit-esque crossover game that comes free with Gunvolt. You're not missing much.

e: Meanwhile, wonderful, wonderful things are happening at the MMBN3 LP thread.

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 6, 2014

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

It was a really amazing troll though. :allears:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Thing is 8-bit graphics and music aren't just pandering to nostalgia, they are a valid artistic choice. Whereas they may grate you, some people really appreciate it. It's true that most games that use this style do it as a crutch, but on Shovel Knight it was a calculated and well though move. In other words, it's not something that can objectively construed as good or bad, but deserves respect for being well done.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Hey, let's be fair, he's been improving.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Have they already started the Megaman X comic? I haven't heard much about it. Also another Megaman/Sonic cross over? Count me in.

More or less, it's not it's own comic yet.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

Mark that down as 2. I really like a lot of things in the SNES Rockman and Forte, Megaman and Bass on the GBA is a whole different story though.

Make that three. And X6 is my favorite X series game.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Either you're trolling or you just really, really hate yourself. X6 is one of the most unfun games I've ever played. Like how can you get through Blaze Heatnix's stage or Gate's castle and say "yeah I'm enjoying this"

I went through Gate's Castle in it's entirety back to back five times with every armor (except for ultimate) and Zero. Doing the "impossible jumps" is the most exhilarating feeling.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

chumbler posted:

I had honestly stopped keeping track, so I'll have to check it out. Is it any good or more or less the standard "competent enough, but nothing particularly special"?

It's legitimately great. They cut down a lot of the backtracking the last game had, and the power ups are fun and used creatively together. It finally happened, a Shantae game with only very minor flaws.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Aren't the Heat Man blocks glitched in a way that they are unpredictable and sometimes impossible? I remember hearing something like this.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It's pretty much an audition to make a Battletoads game. Remember that Yacht Club is composed of most of the people that worked on Double Dragon Neon, and they've expressed that they'd love to make a Double Dragon & Battletoads game someday.

Now I'm scared at the possibilty Microsoft buys Yacht Club because that seems the only way it's gonna happen. :ohdear:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Oh my God the Subtank in Area K in ZX is horseshit.
The worst part is I managed to get through the breakable rocks without slowing the lava and then missed the secret door. And apparently you have to outrun lava again at least twice after that. drat.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Motto posted:

Still not as bad as the Subtank that requires doing the same RNG-based collection quest a dozen times.

I'm going for that next. :shepicide:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Excuse me, but I wanted to point out that in Mega Man Zero 3 there is an enemy called the Purple Nerple. Thank you for listening.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Acne Rain is probably thinking of the Sonic Boom comics
https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/605421541422198786

Which sells like around ~10k every issue.

Noooooooo. :negative:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

^Neat

God drat it Archie. First Sonic Boom is cancelled, now this? :negative:

Just cancel your Archie bullshit and do more video game comics, it's what you're good at!

At least I still can catch up with Sonic meanwhile.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'd like to play X8 some day. I've never seen a copy for sale and I don't even have a ps2 anymore.

Just find the PC version.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

How do the shops work in BN4? Do they keep their inventory through multiple playthroughs?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Looper posted:

no stop turn around

Too late broseph I'm going balls deep.

Also I just S-ranked a ShripyEX+*spider virus which name I can't remember* by comboing Boomer and Whiteweb and it was super sick.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Comcept hosed up. (You don't say?).

Apparently the demo is just the full single player game with a missing script keeping you from playing all of it.

I wonder how long it's gonna take until someone unlocks the rest of the game.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Motto posted:

Yeah I'm just wondering why that one guy got vitrolic, from what I know the most offensive thing about it is the dev's drawing ability.

Touhou is infamous for being mixed way too often with fangames and hacks of other franchises, with disastrous results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NT0mZAt9Is

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

He always gets the blue flames. Stage changes are only in X1...and X6.

And X3!

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

They even threw away an opportunity to have him be a fake good guy by changing the plot of their Mega Man 3 arc from what it was in the games (Wily is reformed and works with Dr Light to make new robots) to some weird space alien thing.

That's not the MM3 arc, that's the Super Adventure Rockman arc.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Honestly the only fangame I can remember that copies X pretty ok is a Touhou fangame. Don't remember the name.

Bakartet X? It's a fun game, though there's a lot of X6 style bullshit.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Ah, I think it was called Quartet X?

It's just called different things in different places. But yeah it got the X gameplay down pat and has 4 characters with their own sets of special weapons.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Played through the first stage and it was actually pretty fun! I expected way more misery right off the bat.

Though the game absolutely should not have chugged for pizza explosions on a brand new gamer PC.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Mega Man just kinda stops because robots can't harm humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Vile in Maverick Hunter X is pretty much X6 mode, huh.

Also, Boomerang Kuwanger.