Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Agree 100%. The worst things about MMZ were the system limitations(having very little screen space can lead to running into things that were offscreen very shortly ago if you haven't fully memorized the level yet), and Omega, despite having a really cool design, ultimately suffers really badly because of that and is generally piss-easy.

I still love MMZ to death because of the super fluid 2D movement and high difficulty, especially on hard mode where everything is very clean and simple with no cyber-elf/leveling nonsense. They're basically my personal standard for how my ideal platformer plays, and also easily my favorite Megaman games as well. I'd love to have more of them, which is a shame, because at the same time I love that they had the balls to kill Zero at the end and finish that series for good.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AHungryRobot posted:

To be fair, there are some legitimate criticisms to be made about the art style. The mavericks look really cool, but the humanoid reploids don't even look like robots. If this were ZX with the whole "merging of man and machine" then it'd have some relevance to the plot, but since that's not the case in the Zero games, it just comes off as weird to me. When I first played MMZ it took me several hours before I realized the resistance was composed only of robots and not people with a penchant for goggles.

Yeah, I gotta say I love the MMZ artstyle to death but that's definitely a flaw in it. If they made the faces look non human somehow it would go a long way-nonhuman eyes maybe, or jaw seams ala Raiden's first body in MGR(but more exaggerated)?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They did waste a perfectly good opportunity with Omega, but I can't be too bothered because I honestly really don't like Zero's original look with his super 90s-robot design and dopey enormous feet and I'm glad it's done with. :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, if you want enemy bosses that met several times over in a stage in 'creative confrontations', that aren't killed quickly, and that are made to be memorable characters, what you want isn't really Megaman. Not classic Megaman, anyways, and it doesn't sound like you're really describing any other Megaman game either. And to be honest, that sounds dull. Plenty of other games try similar things and in general I don't like it-I don't want to beat around the bush, I want difficult stages followed by quick, intense fights where either I kill the enemy or they kill me. Megaman has never been about the story, and it shouldn't be. It's about fun, difficult platforming and blowing up robots.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Wonderful, boss rush modes are great.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I can't remember, have there been any other robot masters which appear human enough to have a race, and weren't white?
I've mostly only played 1-3, and 9-10, so I barely remember bosses from anything in between.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It wasn't as accessible of a game, though, with the dark/light world mechanic. I didn't have (much)trouble with it but it seems a lot of people did.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Alteisen posted:

Yea, MMBN3 was pure quality and just LOADED with poo poo to do, each MMBN game up to that point had increased in quality in every aspect, there was no reason to think they'd take a step back.

MMBN4 wasn't just a step back, it jumped over the loving cliff. It was clearly blasted out the door before it was ready.
I've heard this a lot, but haven't ever played any MMBN games other than 5 and 6 that my friend had. How'd it go bad at 4?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I, for one, really loving hate getting more of something I like, and if it's not something I like clearly no one else should either.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
C the best, A second best for bigass ponytail cannons. :allears:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Gammatron 64 posted:

C is weird and creepy
C has robo-rocket legs that turn into claw arms, sorry. :colbert: Also a robo-centaur is silly and therefore I want it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AHungryRobot posted:

She also has an unchanging facial expression and dead eyes. Besides, we can't be sure that the other designs won't get cool poo poo either. Design C was just lucky enough to have all that poo poo on display.
By that same token, though, because it's pretty much just a black and white sketch, we have no idea how any of their faces will be tweaked for an actual final sprite, or more importantly, how it will animate.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Only just saw this-

It's sad that Megaman is something that got dropped(and probably simply because it didn't get enough sales) and can only continue via going outside of what Capcom will actually make, but at the same time it's still a heartwarming sentiment and at least now it can continue in some form.
:smith: / :unsmith:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
One of those linked to Galaxy Man's theme and I've listened to it like three times already. :3: gently caress castle themes, that's the best.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Listen, all you have to do to make them alright is completely change the instrumentation, it's not so bad. :rolleyes:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ma heaur
is
made
of
meadul

*du du-du-dudu dudu*

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jordan7hm posted:

Late 80s, early 90s, still being made.

You've never heard of the Zork series?

Also - MM2 holds up today, no question.
You go fight that stupid turret-on-walls boss where you need to use crash man's weapon, you need to have full ammo, and you need use it all as efficiently as possible without taking too much time, or you're just loving boned and you need to wait out a slow painful death getting your health chipped away by beams because it's impossible to know without prior knowledge of that specific boss that you cannot waste your crash man ammo(and tool ammo!) before going through that door or you just have to die completely regardless of how good you may be at platformers, and say that it holds up today with a straight face.

Also Metal man's weapon is a perfect example of hilarious imbalance in player tools, flash man is, to put it simply, not fun to fight because of his piss-easy damage and health(possibly because they were afraid his time stopping would be frustrating, I guess?), there's a lot of issues with enemies respawning or despawning based on screen scrolling esp. with the big walker things, and some sprite issues depending on how much end up on screen...

I like the game, but let's not pretend it stands the test of time if you're not someone who's already a fan of it and megaman in general.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Obligatory link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTsvWTtoiQ

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Anonymous Robot posted:

The problem is that a woman is in the position, actually.
For some people, yes, but with a lot of these the issue seems to be her lack of knowledge about megaman.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lurdiak posted:

I really consider the SNES Mega Man X games to be the best Mega Man games of all time. There's just enough story to get you to care(but not enough to get you to stop caring), the music is great, the gameplay is fast-paced and clever, there's way more power-ups than in the NES games but not so many that you have to start managing them like in Legends or Zero... They're just really awesome games.
You're supposed to play Zero on hard mode so you don't get to use anything, especially elves. Just you and your sword. :clint:
Though I guess I typically play buster only, so maybe I don't have much say on how any Megaman ought to be played.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
What the gently caress does not having played MM have to do with modding a forum?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Because Justice Man is really really stupid, that's why. :ssh:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Not in the slightest. Capcom got everyone's hopes up in a big way, I think feeling betrayed just before the release of a demo to feel out fan interest is perfectly justified.
I just don't understand how anyone could still care about legends, period. I don't think they were even very good games in the first place, but either way... gotta let it go sometime. Like I think Pokemon Snap, Psychonauts, Grim Fandango, God Hand, etc. all really deserve but I'm not gonna spend my time pining over them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Because Megaman 2 isn't actually very well-made in general.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
A boss that 100% requires a certain weapon to beat is just dumb, and farming enemies is never fun. Even if it was easy it'd be terrible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Why? Roll's a stupid character.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Yeah, MMZ is ridiculously hard and not in a fun way. It feels like they didn't do any difficulty testing on it considering the elephant boss is infinitely easier but you have to face him after.

Also all the bosses in the Zero series have stupid names.
I think it's ridiculously hard and in the funnest way possible. It's way more focused than MM/MMX, doesn't rely so much on abusing weaknesses or powerups which I never liked(buster only runs! :v: ), it's really loving fast, controls super well, and demands the best out of you. Especially on hard mode where it cuts out all the extraneous powerup/equipable bullshit and it's just you and your saber against the world. :clint: Granted, MMZ3-4 are noticeably easier and it'd have been better if the first 2 were at that level of difficulty, then 3-4 ramped up to the original hardness so people would be able to acclimatize to the series.

Also I honestly dig the story, although it does obviously have some issues. Having copies of an iconic character like X used as soldiers is cool as hell, and being part of an underdog resistance is cooler than being in a group of resistance quashing maverick-hunters imo.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 3, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's kind of been said already, but ZXA is real good. Letting you completely turn into bosses after beating them is pretty neat, and it has basically the same super good controls as MMZ. Just skip the cutscenes.

Tengames posted:

Also , and I guess this is just personal opinion, But I think the controls are poo poo. You have to be in just the right position to talk to an npc, and the ducking from the ps1 x games is gone so you have to do dashing to dodge attacks,which requires you to not be in saber range at the boss. Honestly the melee weapons suck as so many bosses have melee attacks or hosed hitboxes, and just charge shooting them while the boss just hopelessly swings at the air is easier and faster.
Talking to NPCs isn't important or something you need to do quickly, dashing to dodge is way more fun than ducking since you need to time it(and you can turn around instantly while dashing so if you're too close, press the other direction then back again to end up in the same spot), and learning to time hitting enemies with armored parts/melee attacks is just part of the learning curve. The only enemy I found frustrating or unfair in that aspect was Fefnir's vehicle form in 2, and that doesn't even matter if you're not playing on hard mode and can charge your buster.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 4, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BlitzBlast posted:

And for once the final boss isn't awful.
The final boss of 3 was good too, minus the first form. :colbert: Would have been better if Omega's Zero sprite made him look like Zero in the X games, though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lurdiak posted:

Much like the Zero series, that is some beautiful artwork marred by atrocious designs.
I dunno, I think it looks pretty good all-around.

Like, it's pretty anime, but that's only a bad thing if you're not into it. The attack patterns off the bosses seemed neat.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, pretty much. I still have trouble killing quickman with the buster. Also I'm really surprised people think shadowman is tough, I had more trouble with needleman and gemini even.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The art style is garbage. When the combos start going it's a huge cluttered mess of particle effects and one thing I really like having in Character Action games is the ability to see my character and what they're doing/the immediate threats to them at any point in time.

And the spectacle of it all is the visual side of that garbage writing and is bad for basically the same reasons: It's juvenile, trying its best to be shocking and cool, and it thinks it's succeeding a lot more than it actually is.

Like most Ninja Theory Games, actually.
TAKE A SUCK...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Petiso posted:

This guy also got in as an assist :allears:

uuuuuugh this model is so good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Captain Invictus posted:

It's really bad, but in a good way. I mean, really, it's worth watching for Cut and Guts Man antics. Some of the episodes are just truly terrible, though, like Curse of the Lion-Men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MizTlnwkzi4
Don't you dare diss the best episode of any cartoon ever made

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

alcharagia posted:

This is one of the funniest images I have ever seen and I cannot articulate why but I now need to purchase this series.
In the meantime, you(and everyone else) should probably check out the tumblr I'm shamelessly pulling these images from.

e: I'm smart, got linked below tho

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 10, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ElegantFugue posted:

There's a new Mighty No. 9 video out for the backers. Beck looks like he's gonna be way more mobile than original or X ever were. Double air-dashes with invincibility frames in all eight directions? :getin:
That it gives him invincibility frames is pretty nuts. Here's hoping the bosses are hard enough to make up for it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I will say that I lost a ton of interest when it was first revealed that the game doesn't have 2d graphics.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you use elves at all in Zero you're doing it wrong. The strength of the games lies in it being fast, fluid, and hard as balls, and the elves gently caress with all of that, especially the last bit.

Preferably you should play on hard mode, as well. :twisted:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, but especially MMZ, because the elves system in every game is really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I do honestly really like seeing people play games like Megaman for the first time where the basics are easy but the fine control/dodging/whatever is quite hard, and see how quickly they catch on.
That 'reacts' video doesn't show as much gameplay as I want, though.