Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Engadget just put up a pretty favorable review of the Nokia 710. Verdict: Good for kids or the elderly who don't have much experience with smartphones.

It's not a flagship but it's a start. I sincerely hope that they start making some marketshare in the US again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Lumia available in Finland from 1st of February. I'm very tempted to go and buy one. Then again what if Nokia will bring out something even cooler at Barcelona...

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
That's the price of buying a smartphone - there's always something just around the corner.

Very pleased with my Lumia, I think you will be too.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Really eyeing those Lumias too, but I'm not sure about getting a Windows Phone... Sure, it looks very pretty, but the app market seems pretty uninteresting (not even Dropbox!). Might aswell get the N9 for the geek cred :v:

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Chikimiki posted:

Really eyeing those Lumias too, but I'm not sure about getting a Windows Phone... Sure, it looks very pretty, but the app market seems pretty uninteresting (not even Dropbox!). Might aswell get the N9 for the geek cred :v:

I dunno - there's 55000 apps on Windows Phone and that number is growing by over 300 a day, a number which is increasing itself. I doubt there's much that you're really missing, unless you're talking about specific titles which are quite possibly going to eventually be ported.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Otik posted:

I dunno - there's 55000 apps on Windows Phone and that number is growing by over 300 a day, a number which is increasing itself. I doubt there's much that you're really missing, unless you're talking about specific titles which are quite possibly going to eventually be ported.

Ya, maybe it's better to wait a bit to see how things (and prices!) develop... Is the app market more like Apple's (closed ecosystem but some very good apps among the crowd) or more like Android's (a lot of apps but not always as polished)?

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Chikimiki posted:

Ya, maybe it's better to wait a bit to see how things (and prices!) develop... Is the app market more like Apple's (closed ecosystem but some very good apps among the crowd) or more like Android's (a lot of apps but not always as polished)?

I think Microsoft's trying to walk the middle ground, so not as restrictive as Apple but still with checks to avoid some of the problems Android has been having security and fraud.

Of course, it's still not as mature as either of those markets so who knows where it will end up?

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
So, I just got a new job and promised myself an N9 once I did, so now it's time to do it. Where's the best place to pick one up? Ideally I'd get a Cyan 64GB, but a Black 64 would be fine too (and all I've seen, honestly).

welectronics.com has a Black 64 for $628. They look a bit mixed at resellerratings.com, anyone have personal experience? Expansys wants $800-something for the same, and the sellers on Amazon are a bit higher priced, as are the new ones on eBay.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Newegg stocks the N9 for far less than anywhere else that I've seen. Is 64GB a must?

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

Septimus posted:

Newegg stocks the N9 for far less than anywhere else that I've seen. Is 64GB a must?

It's certainly my preference to pick up a 64GB model. I bought a 64GB 4S because my 32GB iPhone 4 was feeling a bit cramped. I don't know if I could fit maps, music, and the videos and photos I shoot in 32GB.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
I've been watching a lot of CES video on the Lumia 900 and am thinking this may be my first Windows Phone!

I had to raise my eyebrow a bit on the hardware though, (1.4 single core processor and 512 ram), though it seems people with current phones say that the OS runs a lot more smooth than android with less help from the hardware. Besides that, 16 gigs of storage is alright, but no micro sd slot? Lastly, there's a problem I remember hearing about with AT&T dragging their feet on visual voicemail still. Currently I'm getting by with google voice on my android, and I heard Voice is working on mango, but I really wish everyone would get on board with visual voicemail for everything.

Getting beyond all of that, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one when they get to stores

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

DKWildz posted:

I've been watching a lot of CES video on the Lumia 900 and am thinking this may be my first Windows Phone!

I had to raise my eyebrow a bit on the hardware though, (1.4 single core processor and 512 ram), though it seems people with current phones say that the OS runs a lot more smooth than android with less help from the hardware. Besides that, 16 gigs of storage is alright, but no micro sd slot? Lastly, there's a problem I remember hearing about with AT&T dragging their feet on visual voicemail still. Currently I'm getting by with google voice on my android, and I heard Voice is working on mango, but I really wish everyone would get on board with visual voicemail for everything.

Getting beyond all of that, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one when they get to stores

Just to verify:

1) Yep, runs smooth as a dickens. My 14 month old phone runs smoother than most dual core Android phones. Now this is tricky, because when it comes to pure processing power like launching heavy applications, other phones will obviously be faster. But in day to day use, I don't think many phones can beat a WP.

2) ATT is dumb about visual voicemail on these phones. The OS supports it, but ATT is silly. There's also no official Voice client.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I had to return a Lumia 800 the other day because it got bricked. Could that have been caused by using my HTC charger to power it? I'm nervous about using my HTC car charger on it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I had to return a Lumia 800 the other day because it got bricked. Could that have been caused by using my HTC charger to power it? I'm nervous about using my HTC car charger on it.
Power supply should be indifferent.
However, I bricked my N90 6 years ago via a cheap car charger.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

DKWildz posted:

Besides that, 16 gigs of storage is alright, but no micro sd slot?

This is essentially a WP7 issue. WP7 treats all flash available to it as one big drive, which means that if you eject or insert an SD card you have to wipe the phone memory entirely. Some people with 1st gen devices either didn't expect this to happen or used inferior cards (which because they are treated as system memory causes tons of problems) and that turned out to be a big issue for OEMs, so the new devices don't include slots. It's kind of a bummer, especially for people with 8GB devices.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Naffer posted:

This is essentially a WP7 issue. WP7 treats all flash available to it as one big drive, which means that if you eject or insert an SD card you have to wipe the phone memory entirely. Some people with 1st gen devices either didn't expect this to happen or used inferior cards (which because they are treated as system memory causes tons of problems) and that turned out to be a big issue for OEMs, so the new devices don't include slots. It's kind of a bummer, especially for people with 8GB devices.

Is this a fundamental issue with WP7, or something that could be patched out in the future? Because if 16gb and no card slot is it, that rules out a Lumia for me. Which sucks, because I was thinking of getting one when Telstra launches 4G here in oz.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's a design decision. So it could be changed in the future, but they have to decide that they want to first.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
So... Symbian Nokia Belle available begining on February 8th... Maybe...
Published by Nokia Vietnam, then pulled

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'll probably be up for a new phone in a few months and the Lumia 800 should be coming out around the same time.

Really digging the Cyan coloured one, will be coming from an Samsung Galaxy S, after having an iPhone and an android phone, I really want to check out a different OS.

How many droid users have made the switch and just how much different is the system?

I tried that HTML5 thing that mimicked WM7 a while ago, seems pretty slick.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I just made the switch (from an Evo 3D to a Lumia 710).

If you're the kind of guy constantly reading up on latest and greatest phones and wanting cutting edge specs, it will be a bit of a difference. The raw specs of the Lumia phones is lower than current gen iOS/Android devices.

That said, WP7 is a lot smoother than Android due to a dedicated UI thread like iOS, it has a lot of the same apps (and more coming out all the time) and is pretty fun to use. You'll get more out of it if you use Xbox Live or Zune, though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Puddin posted:

I'll probably be up for a new phone in a few months and the Lumia 800 should be coming out around the same time.

Really digging the Cyan coloured one, will be coming from an Samsung Galaxy S, after having an iPhone and an android phone, I really want to check out a different OS.

How many droid users have made the switch and just how much different is the system?

I was using Android (2.2 and 2.3) for about 18 months before switching to the Lumia 800. It's a genuinely nice change - the fluidity and responsiveness of the UI is such a change from Android, and the user experience itself is something that can be a bit jarring at first, but I wouldn't want to go back to Android (or iOS for that matter, use it on my iPod touch) in its 2.3 flavour at least.

The wealth of customisation options are obviously gone - something at which Android excels. But I'm used to it now, and the OS is such a pleasure to use that I don't mind that trade-off. It's amazing how many oohs and aahs I get when I show off the OS.

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I was using Android (2.2 and 2.3) for about 18 months before switching to the Lumia 800. It's a genuinely nice change - the fluidity and responsiveness of the UI is such a change from Android, and the user experience itself is something that can be a bit jarring at first, but I wouldn't want to go back to Android (or iOS for that matter, use it on my iPod touch) in its 2.3 flavour at least.

The wealth of customisation options are obviously gone - something at which Android excels. But I'm used to it now, and the OS is such a pleasure to use that I don't mind that trade-off. It's amazing how many oohs and aahs I get when I show off the OS.

Echoing this. I switched from Android to the Lumia 800 and it's absolutely fantastic. The live-tiles are good enough that I don't miss my Android widgets.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Awesome thanks guys.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Puddin posted:

Wait till you get your hands on the actual phone. That was a nice implementation, but it's miles away from the actual OS.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011

zocio posted:

So... Symbian Nokia Belle available begining on February 8th... Maybe...
Published by Nokia Vietnam, then pulled

And they took the page down shortly after. Just have to wait and hope it will be coming out at 8th.

Also is it true that I read somewhere, Nokia Carla will be available for E7-00?

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Cant verify this myself as I am behind a very bad connection, somewhere at sea between Helsinki and Tallinn but...
I'm reading another forum where people are claiming they are now updating their E7's and N8's to Belle. So the update might be rolling out early..

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Have a look at this handy Nokia website:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-belle-update/nokia-belle-update-availability

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Yep, I downloaded Belle for my N8 earlier today (Norway). Seems to be pretty decent so far, but I can't seem to get all my photos to show up in the gallery (I have like 2400 in total, including a bunch from older cellphones).

Edit: Got it to work by renaming a bunch of folders. :ms: I have to sort them into albums all over again though.

feraltennisprodigy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 7, 2012

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

varjoankka posted:

Cant verify this myself as I am behind a very bad connection, somewhere at sea between Helsinki and Tallinn but...
I'm reading another forum where people are claiming they are now updating their E7's and N8's to Belle. So the update might be rolling out early..

Belle is out, but I can't upgrade. The bloody thing always reports an error backing up text messages during the first part of the upgrade:(

Edit: did a reset to factory after backing up manually and it seems to be going through now. Fingers crossed

Jut fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 7, 2012

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Got mine with a North American product code :toot:

A few huge steps forward so far, a few tiny steps back.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Argh WTF, I'm missing some of the games I had originally, and the menu isn't neatly organised into apps, office etc...everything is just on the screen at once:(

Should have stuck with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Jut posted:

the menu isn't neatly organised into apps, office etc...everything is just on the screen at once:(
List view + Arrange A-Z works out well.

My update was pretty seamless. However, I was on a custom firmware and I'm itching to go back since it had more widgets.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
Currently on Sprint with a Galaxy S II variant, but about to switch to ATT so i can get an unlocked Nokia N9. The reviews I've read paint it as one of the best smartphones ever. Is that generally the consensus for you guys too? Also, are there any healthy sites for apps for the N9? I understand its ecosystem is poo poo, comparatively, but it can run Qt, correct? I wasn't sure if there was a repository for all things Qt or something. I don't really use many apps on android as it is, but would definitely like to peruse what's available, mainstream or not (obscure forums with Qt poo poo).

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

corpsed posted:

Currently on Sprint with a Galaxy S II variant, but about to switch to ATT so i can get an unlocked Nokia N9. The reviews I've read paint it as one of the best smartphones ever. Is that generally the consensus for you guys too? Also, are there any healthy sites for apps for the N9? I understand its ecosystem is poo poo, comparatively, but it can run Qt, correct? I wasn't sure if there was a repository for all things Qt or something. I don't really use many apps on android as it is, but would definitely like to peruse what's available, mainstream or not (obscure forums with Qt poo poo).

http://talk.maemo.org/ is the only good site I know of.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I'm going to put this up here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR99WWdxmwc

I can't wait for MWC next week!

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011

Otik posted:

Looks really great, I presume the new N8 will have Nokia Belle inside?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

That video showed a few photos. How does it 'look great' with respect to anything about Nokia, besides I guess the assumption that nice pictures can be taken with a Nokia phone?

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Meant the pictures "looked great" and assumed they were taken with the new N8.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Otik posted:

This is a teaser for a nokia phone that is as white as the driven snow (or something)

Or maybe a new phone that has a gigantic lens and sensor on it. Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Septimus posted:

This is a teaser for a nokia phone that is as white as the driven snow (or something)

Or maybe a new phone that has a gigantic lens and sensor on it. Who knows!

Maybe I do. And maybe I posted it because I know it's leading somewhere interesting.

Or maybe I just thought it was a cool video. Whatever.

• Locked thread