Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I tried the N8... twice. Just couldn't get past how difficult it was going back to Symbian. Went to an atrix and not looking back. The camera on the N8 is nice but not enough for me to grapple with Symbian's shortcomings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So I'm traveling to Mexico in March and want a good camera / onboard GPS navigation phone. I have both ATT and T-Mobile. Would grabbing an open box N8 from Amazon and tossing Belle on the N8 be a good idea? I'd like to keep the phone around for photos and navigation after my trip and the N8 looks like the best option.

Also is the N9 a good idea? I'm a phone whore who started on Symbian (N95) so I know what I'm getting into.

Both the N8 and N9 work on ATT and TMo 3g right?

Edit: I'm just gonna grab an N8 from Amazon for $250. Good by me.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 29, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm getting the 808 the moment it drops. If nothing else, for the ability to have a camera with me at all times that happens to make calls and stuff.

On a related note, is it wrong for me to actually like my N8 and Belle...and I own a Galaxy Nexus (and a self-proclaimed Android geek). The N8 actually does all I need it to do and takes balls out photos.

I can't believe I'm considering keeping the N8 as my daily driver. It feels...so...90's...but I like it that way. :whatup:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 3, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Naffer posted:

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokias-jo-harlow-it-will-not-take-very-long-to-bring-pureview-technology-to-windows-phone/

Nokia, please allow me to give you my money for this camera in a windows phone.

I will drop Android like a rock if this camera lands in a WP.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Yesterday I had a warehouse deals N9 64 gig in my cart for $379 shipped. Great price but I chickened out. Shame whatsapp is not on Meego.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

drat. Should have bought it. It was a great price. Oh well.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

corpsed posted:

AT&T has 3GB and 5GB plans and the only "unlimited" plans left are ones that have been grandfathered in from long ago.

The unlimited plan is a joke since they slow it to dial-up after three gigs. That's exactly why I bit the bullet and switched to the 5 GB plan the other day. Plus I get the corporate discount on the five gig plan and I can tether to my new iPad. I was holding onto the unlimited plan ever since I got the very first iPhone but then realized after they set the 3 GB limit it really made no sense to keep it anymore.

AT&T finally found a way to win me over while getting more money from me each month.

Sneaky.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

corpsed posted:

Sold my Nokia N9 to Septimus. Hope you enjoy it, buddy. It's an amazing piece of kit.

I'm being nosy and a bit jealous (actually)...what did it go for?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Noxious posted:

I just got my Nokia N9 a couple of days ago.

All these posts are making me wish I didn't cancel my Amazon order for the 64-gig ($379 shipped!). It was used, but I've always had good luck with warehousedeals. Oh well, it's way gone now.

I've been teetering with the idea of going to the N9. I currently have a GSM Galaxy Nexus that I really do like, but am using way less now that I got a new iPad. It sounds odd, but I do need to have Whatsapp on Meego as I use it instead of texting. I know there was talk of a community built beta of Whatsapp, but can't seem to find anything definitive saying it works well. I don't want to grapple with a half-baked user-built version of Whatsapp that shits itself frequently.

Anyone on an N9 use the unofficial Whatsapp? Also, just to confirm, the N9 has a hotspot that works (well), right? I have the 5gb tether plan on ATT and tether my iPad regularly.

Thanks.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I just pre-ordered a Nokia 808 from unlocked-mobiles.com :stare:

Kind of a knee-jerk purchase, but I'm excited. All told it was $655 shipped to the US (£464.98 plus £19.99 shipping) via 3-5 day delivery. They are showing stock coming in on 4/23 so hopefully I get it by the end of the month.

Now that I've ordered one, I am feeling a little strange...spending that much on a Symbian Belle phone. I hope I didn't make a mistake. Pics and review to come, assuming the phone arrives one day.

I think it's safe to say I will be one of the only people in the US to own an 808 for a while. Wish me luck!

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 7, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Just ordered my 808 Pureview from here, hoping that I'll have it by the end of May so that I can bring it along when I go on vacation.

I saw that (had ordered weeks ago but canceled it...). Negri has it for $655 shipped $666 now, which is about the same after currency rate conversion. What's with unlocked-mobiles saying it as a "full 24-month manufacturer's warranty." ? The standard Nokia warranty is 12 months...

I emailed them about ship dates and they said "we don't know."

I just wish there was a better date than "May." I had on my calendar May 7 (read that somewhere) for shipping, but clearly that's not accurate.'

Oh, and lol at $854 at expansys-usa. WTF

Isn't MSRP $549? Or am I imagining that too? I just wish Amazon would toss up a page for the 808...I have some points to burn.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 8, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

I'm holding off on buying an 808 until late June. The preorder situation seems strange to me.

I'm tempted to do the same. Aside from being annoying, what's strange about it? I just want a release date and clarity around the MSRP so I know how much I'm being ripped off.

Edit: from Clove's page. Looks like it's June for everyone..unless it's delayed again.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 9, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

Just hoping it shows up on Amazon from a good seller. Very wary of all those other sites.

Yeah, it's the murky depths of preorders. My initial preorder at unlocked-mobiles went through fine, although Chase fraud called me to verify the charge.

When I canceled, they (the vendor) emailed back asking why. I told them "because I said so?" and to cancel it. They did and refunded the charge, so that actually built confidence that I didn't get taken.

Can any UK goons vouch for that site? I may just re-order since they appear to be getting stock before anyone since the UK launch is soon. My guess is Negri will be pretty delayed as they will have to get a shipment from somewhere before they can resell them.

Edit: looks like the units are going out tomorrow. Can't be much longer...

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 9, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maybe I have more money than sense, but I'm just going to import one. I don't feel like waiting around until this fall for it to be officially available in the US.

Time to eBay some poo poo (my wife just spilled water all over her Macbook Pro...yet another costly expense).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Looks real nice, but that autofocus seems to be annoying. I'd assume there's a way to turn off the continuous focus?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

Yeah, I think there's a setting for hyperfocal so there's no close ups.

There seems to be an echo in this thread...you and I may be the only S60 fans left... :stare:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I bought an N8 to "re-acquaint" myself with Symbian/Nokia Belle. Came this morning from Amazon...

Man, I realize how much of a PITA it is to use compared to Android. I know, I know, a direct comparison is not fair, but it really is a chore to do things. My wife said "call Petsmart and tell them we are running late" (wash appointment for our dogs). 5 minutes later, I found the number. Had to open the lovely browser, search for Petsmart, results were not even close to me, then had to enter location, hit save, wait on it to find me, then called the store. On my GNEX, I would hit voice and say "Call Petsmart" and off I would go.

Installed Gravity, which is still an outstanding Facebook/Twitter app...although it seems they removed the Flickr integration, which makes it a chore to upload pics to flickr on the N8.

I took a bunch of photos today to make myself feel better about the transition back to the stone age, but I am missing Android for sure. No surprise there, but living that reality does suck and has it's frustrating points.

Navigation was spot-on - Drive rocks.

All in all, maybe the transition to Nokia Belle isn't so bad...after all, I found myself spending more time OFF the phone than normal. Usually, I'm buried in the phone reading this forum or doing something on some app - drives my wife crazy.

Maybe the N8 will save my marriage. Maybe I will grow to like Symbian all over again. The 808's camera, as great as it is, may not be enough to keep me though.

I feel like I stepped back into 2003 with this OS. Oh well, like I said, maybe it's for the greater good (I have an iPhone 4 for work, and an iPad 3, so it's not like I'm missing much).

Anyone else out there still using Symbian/Nokia Belle? Old school and all?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
It's official: I'm the most fickle person in the world.

Just listed the N8 on eBay for a loss. I'm afraid to return to Amazon due to them banning high return accounts. I've returned a few things already this year and don't want to risk it...they called me last year to inquire about my "recent high number of 'reasons' on my account." I defended my case by pointing out that the 425 purchases in the past 11 yrs, I've only returned less than 40 items. Under 10%. Asked if that was unreasonable for over a decade of purchasing, as it's not in a retail setting at all. They agreed it wasn't and just wanted to make sure "something wasn't wrong." Anyway...

I also canceled my 808 preorder. Even that camera can't make me grapple with the OS for every-day use.

Just cannot deal with the limitations of Symbian/Nokia Belle. Just can't.

Ridiculous I know, but I'm out.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 20, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/06/19/unique-nokia-808-pureview-coming-to-america
Welp, $700 on Amazon

I'm guessing that's the MSRP and the real price will be $600.

poo poo, after mentally dismissing this phone (went back and forth on it) I now am re-interested. Only because I have Amazon points to burn, which would effectively make it free. Damnit. The wife is going to kill me but oh well. I may not have a choice.

Edit: Welp, I pre-ordered one. Just wish Amazon had black or red. Also, where is the lens cover cases? That would help since I could get a colored case.

I will try Belle one last time. Dat kamra may be enough to keep me. 10 yrs from now, I will not remember the fancy device I was carrying. I will remember the photos I took with it.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 23, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

Pureview now in stock.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087OXZ3K

Just plopped $710 for Saturday delivery
Oh snap. Hovering over the Saturday delivery BIN button... ...someone stop me...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Does anyone know if the lens cap case is included with the Amazon 808? I'm not too keen on the white color (the cover is black I believe). Of course there is nowhere to buy the cover itself...

Edit: I chickened out. Those who are having it delivered today, let me know if the lens cover case is included. Thanks!

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 7, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

The box has a usb adapter, usb cable, a lanyard, and headphones. That's it.

Thanks. That's unfortunate that Nokia excluded the lens case for the US. Seems everyone else has it included with the 808. It's not even available for purchase anywhere in the US (that I've found). Puzzling to say the least...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I would get an 808 but since the FCC has blocked ad-hoc networks on phones, JoikuSpot won't work.

I had planned on using the 808 as my daily driver and tethering my Nexus 7 for google goodness. No tethering option so no 808, sadly. I pay AT&T $50/month for a 5gig plan which includes tethering. gently caress that noise if I can't actually use it on the 808.

It's a joke because Joiku works on the N8, which apparently is exempt from the rule the FCC put in place since it was for sale prior to the law being passed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

teagone posted:

Crossposting this from the Windows Phone 8 thread:

Thanks. In for an 808 trial submission. This would be awesome if they send me one. Been stalking Amazon for weeks but just am not sure about buying one.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
If anyone has been stalking Amazon for the 808 to go down, it's now under $600:

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-808-PureView-Unlocked-Optics--U-S/dp/B0087OXZ3K/

It seems to drop $10-30 every week...

This has peaked my interest...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
If I could, say, get a used N9 for $200, $199 is this worth it? I've always lusted over this thing and am considering picking up to tinker with. My primary phone will remain a GSM GNEX, but the N9 has always intrigued me.

I may do it and toss Jellybean on it.

Am I putting a matchstick to two benjamins?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 6, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for the feedback. Hell, at two bills I'll just get it. If I don't like it, I'll sell and lose nothing.

As for putting Android on it...I probably won't unless there is a way to dual-boot. I mean the hardware is neat and all, but I don't need to have Android on it since I have a GNEX. It was more of a hackery and hobby idea. Hartmann is probably awesome in and of itself, so I'll just tinker with that.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

I like what these guys are trying to do and admire their tenacity, but holy hell do they have a seemingly insurmountable uphill battle for mainstream adoption. Even Microsoft/Nokia are having trouble breaking through the existing iOS/Android user base.

My guess is one of two things. 1. They are content with this being a niches geek OS. 2. They are showcasing their skills for building their resume to be hired at Apple/Google.

Either way, it's exciting and fresh, but WebOS engineers will most likely lend them a secret: you may be hosed from the start.

Nice design though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

Anybody awake? The (final?) Nokia World starts in 70 minutes live from Abu Dhabi
http://www.media-server.com/m/p/fbqsmu6b/r/1/i/vsxend4f/lan/en

I have no idea why I'm awake, but it's 4 past the hour and this music is making me fall asleep. Is Nokia really done this time? Did they not show up?

• Locked thread