Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Looks like Maemo 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

No love for us older phone folks. Hopefully it'll come. :/

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Maybe if they bothered to get off their collective asses to write something unified and coherent we wouldn't have to worry about that poo poo.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

torjus posted:

As of today, Symbian is open source. I wonder what this will lead to.
Absolutely nothing. I don't want to contribute anything to that platform. They're way too late; Android stole all the thunder. (and runs on an open-source darling, Linux)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

That would interest me if the camera turns out to be anywhere near decent. (it won't)

All I want from a phone is offline maps and nav, a good camera (a decent 5mp), QWERTY, and good audio quality that's not A) unbelievably expensive B) decent speed. (read: stop using 400MHz ARM11s, Nokia) I don't even need wifi to be satisfied.

I highly doubt this'll be the phone. I'd be very surprised.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Symbian, though? Wrong OS. :colbert:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Gerudo Rivera posted:

(slide qwerty, please?)
Slide QWERTY, lens cover (if possible), and slap Maemo/Meego on that and then we might be talking about an awesome/competitive phone!

(yeah yeah keep dreamin...)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

And you can disable A-GPS.... er, somewhere in Symbian. Maybe in settings?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Stockholm syndrome.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I use ThreadSMS, though there's no way to disable the Nokia built-in message popup. :(

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

+ Xenon Flash!
- No keyboard
- No Maemo

No sale. I shall continue waiting.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr Tran posted:

First video sample from the N8 is quite jaw dropping.
http://vimeo.com/11266224
There is no way that video has not had its contrast enhanced. Or something.

No way. :colbert:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Civil posted:

Speaking of dusting off a N82, mine is covered with dust inside the screen. I'm always wiping the screen hoping that it's somehow outside the phone rather than inside. If I do manage to get the face off to wipe the dust away, is there anything I should do to prevent dust from getting right back in?
Nope. :( I just dusted my N82 of inside dust 5 minutes ago before coming here. I need to do this every couple of months.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

That's thoroughly broken. Certainly doesn't happen on my N82. I'd tell you where to look up prediction settings but trying to find a setting in S60... :smithicide:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr Tran posted:

Resale value! White iPhone 4 is funding my N8 purchase.
And here I was worried that you had lost the faith. :)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

HPL posted:

Symbian is largely dead as a development platform too. The only people of note cranking out new software these days are Nokia Beta Labs.
I'm probably be getting the N8 anyway. As long as it's good enough and fast enough as a phone, I'll be fine. Not super excited and happy, but fine. Mostly buying it because it's unlocked and has a great camera. I'll definitely be waiting a while, though. :P I'm not buying it for/with a data plan - as long as I get Google Maps/Latitude it'll be acceptable. (I like Latitude for trips - buy an unlocked SIM with a data plan and have fun :) )

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

This feels like it's veering off-topic a bit, but: 1. I'm not buying Apple. 2. I want HD video recording. 3. I don't want a subsidized phone/It must be unlocked. 4. Must be out within the next 6-8 months, since my N82 is on its last legs. (phone is literally falling apart and I'm not paying for parts) The options I'm left with are slim at best, and considering a phone's camera is my #1 selling point, the N8's the most desirable option.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

200th Poster posted:

I figured I'd follow up on this now that I've spent some time with it, but it was actually easier to get root on the galaxy s than on the n900. Go figure. I really hope the recent staff changes helps Nokia get their poo poo in gear, because this is ridiculous.
Nope, they won't! Because the announcements this morning made sure that Nokia will stay Nokia. The E7 will have "software differences" from the N8. They haven't learned a single goddamned thing.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'm 99.9% confident it'll mean that there won't be a single unified Symbian^3. It'll be just like S60, where different models of the same phone and different phones based on the same platform get arbitrary system/software updates that leave them in various states of nice and not so nice.

Yes I'm still bitter about my N82.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr Tran posted:

Reminds me of how white people hate Islam.
I... what?

Where does one even start with that?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It's more like GOVEEEEERNMEEEEEEENTS. :argh:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Society doesn't like it when people stick the camera end of phones up women's skirts. What a shock.
Well yeah but you can't just say EEEVERRRYOOOOONEE'S STAAAANDAAAAAARDS :argh: as easily as you can get angry at government. :)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Is it true that they have all 5 bands in one phone? It's not multiple versions?

If so, that's big news for us Canadians.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

My #1 question that I haven't seen in any review: What happens when you receive an SMS?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

:eng99:

Looks like I'll be buying a 3rd party SMS app again.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Take the N97 back.

Seriously. Go take it back. Before it's too late.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Do the pop-ups have a message summary at all, or do I need to open up the messaging app? (I'm assuming the threaded Conversations app can replace the built-in messenger as the default SMS?)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Peven Stan posted:

Having two platforms going simultaneously seems kind of risk. I would rather they focus on MeeGo and bring that to market than split their resources between two competing camps for the future of Nokia smartphones.
They've stated Symbian will be relegated to the lower-end market while MeeGo will run on all N-series devices in the future.

Nokia could find themselves in a very enviable position. Symbian is definitely a smartphone OS - it just needs... well, the spit and polish that it hasn't gotten over the last decade. And it can run on what is now featurephone hardware, and run well. The same cannot be said for Android, MeeGo, or iOS.

Nokia just needs to capitalize on that and make use of MeeGo to compete with Android/iPhone. Whether they can move faster than a glacial pace or not, though... four iterations of the iPhone and an upcoming Android 3.0 and Nokia's barely got their first foot out the door on a new N-series device running an OS that's going to be relegated to lower-end phones for the next generation.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

We'd have to find a Rogers store that carries a live demo unit, not just a plastic stand-in. I doubt it exists.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

So long, N82. You have been a trusty friend and navigator for the 3 years I've had you. I won't miss your software though. gently caress Symbian and Nokia's lies and empty promises.

With Nexus S in hand I am off to the land of Google, where software updates arrive with regularity and the built in browser is actually worth using.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

So, like a dumbass, I buy back into Symbian. :saddowns:

I really, really loving miss the Nexus S software, but the thing felt like a cheap toy, and I'm going on a trip soon and the camera in the Nexus S was simply awful. No better, maybe even worse, than my old N82. It also helps that I was able to sell it up here in Canada at a profit and then buy the N8 $250 cheaper from Newegg.ca.

Stockholm syndrome. :smith:

So as it is I already hosed up my N8. It stopped booting (I have absolutely no idea why, honest to god) so I did a master reset, aaaand as a google suggests this was a bad idea. So no Ovi Store for me anymore. (yes I have reinstalled QT, I get "PIPS Installer" errors) Nokia Care told me to wait for a firmware update to see if it fixes it, or send it in and they'll reflash everything. Of course they also told me that the firmware update would come in January. Oh how I remember these promises of firmware updates from my N82 days. :argh:

The next major problem is a lack of Japanese character support in the .ttf files bundled on NAM N8s. Why the hell they do this is beyond me. It's trivial to place fonts in E:\resource\fonts and get the N8 to render Japanese characters, but finding a font that works as well on the screen as the default S^3 is a pain in the rear end.

As a final note: thank god for Opera. It may be buggy, it may crash from time to time, yet somehow it's still infinitely better than the piece of poo poo browser Nokia still ships.

God, it's mindboggling, why the gently caress did I do this.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 31, 2011

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Civil posted:

I hope you forgive me if I bask in your pain for a bit...
I have it coming. :)

quote:

I think that the only advantage that the symbian phones have is that they have a good camera built into them.
Battery life is another thing. My N8 gets 3 days to a charge. Again, handy when travelling to know that the device will be there and ready when I need it. Rumours have it that battery life will improve with the next firmware update, but that brings us back to the issue of firmware updates. :)

quote:

If the Nexus S is anything like the other Galaxy S phones, they all felt plasticky and cheap. HTC and Moto make phones that feel a bit more substantial.
I have a friend with a Nexus One and I definitely prefer the feel of that device. If I had to select another Android device it'd be the T-Mo G2, but I'll keep my thoughts on the matter to that length since this is the Nokia thread. Short version: nothing meets my hardware needs and desires like the N8 in Androidland at the moment.

quote:

I hope your firmware comes and saves your phone, but sadly, I don't think it will.
My hopes are pinned, frankly, squarely on Opera to keep updating their browser until an ideal Android phone comes along. I have no confidence in Nokia outside of Ovi Maps and the camera, and both of those work well enough on my phone that they don't need updating.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 31, 2011

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

whatever7 posted:

Those Nokia phones are freaking thick.
I had, and loved, my f31fd and remember that the f50 was not much of an upgrade. (same sensor size, more megapixels, not much better image quality) Of course, I covet the series more for their use of CCD sensors than CMOS sensors, because that means kissing rolling shutter goodbye. I'll echo the same sentiments above, though. It's not attached to a phone. The N8's camera is good enough that I can say the N8's camera is good enough. It's not a bad thing to have to resort to using my N8, it's not a step down into "good for 800x600 Facebook and that's it" photography like every other phone photo & video sample I've seen. The N8 also has unbelievably high quality microphones in it and uses them very well while recording video, and that was the real star of the show for me. I simply love how the N8 captures audio. Pair it with more-than-competent 720p video capturing and I'm a very happy camper in that department.

My N8 is modestly sized. Sure it's no Nexus S or iPhone 4, but I see a lot of other people with condoms on their slimmer phones that make them just as thick or thicker than the N8. More to the point, I don't care. The N8 is not larger than my pocket like a 4-or-more-inches model. It's also not as thick as a brick, despite feeling as solid as one, and that's another reason why I went back. The N8 simply feels fantastic to hold in your hand, more so than any other touch screen phone I've held.

(provided you don't need to hit that menu button at the bottom) :ninja:

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 1, 2011

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I've also called Nokia Support to see if they even have language packs, or anything remotely similar. They said "no" and that they won't solve the problem. Just kept repeating that "language support is based on the region you bought the phone in."

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I have no good will towards Nokia. I know why I bought my N8 and I know when I'm getting rid of it.

Your best bet to get international language support is to try and convince someone from the region you'd like to copy the fonts off their Z: and send them to you. I tried pleading on Howard Forums for someone with a HK phone to do this, but I had no luck in getting a response. If you do get your hands on the .ttf files, you can just drop them in E:\resource\fonts on your N8 (hook up your N8 in mass memory USB mode or you don't get write access) as the following:

nosnr60.ttf
nssb60.ttf
nstsb60.ttf
S60ZDIGI.ttf

And you're good to go. You can use any unicode TTF font file in there, actually. Just rename anything from your Windows/Mac to those 4 files. Be warned, though, that the majority of TTFs you'll find take up a lot more screen space than the S^3 font. Also be warned that the S60v5 font is different than S^3 and that, while it works and will render int'l fonts, looks ugly when rendered on S^3.

[edit] And if you're that obsessed with getting int'l fonts without Nokia's help, you can try flashing your N8 to a different region's firmware without changing the product code, grabbing the .ttf files, then flashing back. This is risky business and may or may not cost you your Ovi Store access like a hard reset would. Oh, and the Nokia font is proprietary/copyrighted/possibly trademarked, so you won't be finding it if you're thinking about the Symbian open source repository. And the (Droid Sans font family from Google won't work either since all the int'l symbols are embedded in a "DroidBackup.ttf" that's separate from the primary DroidSans.ttf, and Symbian simply won't do anything with it.

[edit2] If you live in a Euro region or any region with actual, physical Nokia care centres, you can try visiting. I don't though, so fun times!

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 10, 2011

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The problem with Segoe is that it doesn't have a huge unicode bank for Chinese, Japanese, or Korean characters. It does have Cyrillic and Arabian though.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

JSW2 posted:

(Edit: Okay, apparently you bought it for the same reasons I want it, Ovi Maps and the camera.)
The camera was #1. I'm going travelling a lot this year, and while I have a DSLR, sometimes you can't use one. My DSLR also does not take video. I didn't want a point and shoot, as it'd be 1 more gadget to bring/charge/etc. #2 was offline turn-by-turn nav, which has saved my rear end more than once. #3 was, as WorldWarWonderful said, the fact that I tend to physically abuse my devices, and Android phones generally aren't of high build quality. (and I'm not buying into the walled garden)

The N8 has until the time I get back from most of my travels (June) to be improved or I will once again ceremoniously dump Nokia, build quality or not. Every day I use my N8 I get more and more frustrated, now that I know what sweet, sweet Android nectar tastes like.

quote:

One final question though: If I go through the steps of placing a new font in E:\, is it pretty simple to revert to the original S^3 fonts?
You bet, just delete the files out of E:\ the same way you got them on.

quote:

As far as the Symbian repository goes, isn't the Chinese font (and therefore possibly others) open-sourced? I could've sworn I read that while trying to find more info on this.
It's entirely possible the Chinese part might be open-sourced, but what matters is what happens when you're reading English. I currently have Meiryo UI on my phone and the E n g l i s h l e t t e r s a r e r e a l l y w i d e. It's a pain in the rear end, which is why I want the original S^3 font with Japanese/Chinese characters, so I can read both kanji and retain nice English rendering as well.

quote:

What OS are you running? Android or Symbian?
Segoe UI is nice on Symbian but fatter than the default S^3 font, which is something I'm finding almost universal amongst all replacement fonts. You really need a skinny font or it feels like it just uses a massive amount of screen space. I think the font rendering is really tuned to Nokia's font, understandably.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 10, 2011

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Adopt Android, port Qt to Android, port Ovi Store to Android, run Qt apps on both Android and Symbian.

Or just hire an ex-Microsoft execute and hand them the reigns to your company.

Gonna quote the joke going around: Microsoft just bought Nokia for $0.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

DuckConference posted:

So much for my N8 getting better software down the line. I wonder if they'll even bother with 2.0 now (or even rolling out 1.1).
I was going to say that I'd like my Ovi Store back (which 1.1 will restore) but who cares? There won't be any interesting new apps coming out now. Nobody's going to bother developing for Symbian or Qt. There's no point.

Nokia just effectively abandoned everything.

Elop said we'll see "enhancements" to Symbian, but yeah loving right. Still waiting for 1.1 to hit NAM and I've heard that update song and dance and that was before Symbian was abandoned.

Welp, time to start looking at Android phones again, build quality or not.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

JSW2 posted:

Not on the current topic, but as a way of giving back to the N8 users who have helped me so far I present you with this: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Official-Nokia-N8-PR1-1-Software-Release-Schedule/td-p/923407

They sorta published a release schedule. And promised to finish rolling out updates next week.
Hey thanks for that link, on topic or not it's useful. While I will definitely be going Android again, I'll still be stuck with my N8 for at least a couple months before I can justify the cost and save up for one, and it's nice to know when I'll have the update. (this has nothing to do with the fact that I need 1.1 to restore Ovi Store on my phone to make it saleable :ssh:)

DuckConference posted:

Are there even any Android phones with metal cases and gorilla-glass screens? Apparently HTC still sucks at cameras too.
Nope. Nothing comes close to the N8's build quality in Androidland. Or WP7 land. The only phone that matches the N8 build quality is the iPhone 4. Android phones are all plastic and select few currently use Gorilla. As far as I know, only some of Galaxy S lines do, and the rest of that line of phone is built of incredibly light plastic. (the Nexus S does not have gorilla glass though, it's an exception)

• Locked thread