Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
I am. I just got a new e73.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Dr Tran posted:

I just got one to play with yesterday. Nokia was shooting some video for the E73 and asked me to wear a three piece suit and go jetskiiing.

I like the button layout better than the E72. The E73 doesn't like my wifi router and wont connect.

edit: found a firmware update when I hooked it up to my computer. Wifi works fine now.

Yeah, I got mine all updated. I just bought the Joiku Hotspot thing but it doesn't work. I'm not sure if it is because it is a new phone or what. I should have tried the free version first, but it is only $5 this month so I impulse bought. I'm not sure if it is related to the fact that I also can't seem to get it to tether my laptop through the USB or the Bluetooth.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Dr Tran posted:

I think it has issues with the E73 because the wifi is all weird to accommodate T-Mobile UMA. They should have a new version out soon.

Do you have PC Suite or Ovi Suite installed?

Yeah, I have tried both of those, as well as the "Nokia PC internet access" application that loads when you select "Connect PC to Internet" as an option on the phone when you plug it in by USB.

It just seems to get hung up on "Preparing Your E73".

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

I'm super happy with my E73. S60 probably sucks balls but I like it that way because I really only want to use this phone for SMS, email, and managing my calendar. Since it does all of those things fine it is perfect for me, what with the great battery life and small form factor.

Ok the SMS is kind of sucky because it doesn't do anything to help you mange your text messages. Even a simple attempt at threading would be helpful.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Dr Tran posted:

You can use the free Conversation app from beta labs
http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/conversation/download_and_installation

Or pay $12 for a better one from a Chinese developer inked at the bottom of this review
http://www.techcredo.com/symbian/review-of-free-isms-1-08-business-edition

There's a free version linked as well, but you need a signing certificate which is a mess to get.

Looks like the Conversations App from beta labs was closed. People are pretty upset. I didn't realize Nokia had such a poor rep in the application department. Oh well... The free ISMS looks pretty good and it's still free for the unsigned version.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Is it really true that Nokia decided that all cameras have to have an annoying shutter sound that can't be disabled even if the phone is set to silent?

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Looks nice. Pity there's no actual charge functionality. I'm not due an upgrade for another year - I hope by next November there are still sexy phones like the Lumia 800 in production, with maybe higher specs.

Since it seems that the Windows Phone 7.5 update rolled out in fairly smooth fashion, is there any indication that Microsoft will update the platform with more frequent updates than the previous 12 months have demonstrated? Apple updates iOS with a major revision about once a year, but there are also a few point releases with more moderate functional updates. Would be nice if Microsoft did something similar.

Is it true you can't change the battery on the N9 and the new Lumia 800? That seems like a major problem.

The new Nokia smartphones look really good but the battery could be a deal breaker for a lot of people I think.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Well I'm coming from my Nokia E73 and the back cover is a metal piece and the changing of the battery doesn't seem to put much wear at all. I don't usually change it but it is nice to have a backup for longer trips.

I'm also finding that a fresh battery every 6 or so months is better than a new phone every 12 months. I guess that is why blackberry's are still so popular. It is much more of a work horse.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have been blessed with a face that does not look well on camera, so have never and will never use a FFC. Also, I know some pretty good looking folks and I don't think any of them have ever used it. It's just bragging-rights spec-wise.

I have a front facing camera on my E73 and I used to use it for video calls all the time with my girlfriend before we broke up... Oh!? I think I have just figured something out.

Seriously though it is nice when you can't be near someone you love for an extended period.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Peven Stan posted:

I have a front facing camera and I'm not sure you can place video calls in the US

Sorry, to clarify. If you download the Fring Application then you can make video calls with the E73 to other Fring users. I did this with my girlfriend while I was traveling over seas because all I needed then was a data connection.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Web Jew.0 posted:

Those microsim adapters are literally two for a dollar I don't understand how that could make an impact in your purchasing decision LOL

So is there anyway to get a Android or Symbian app working on an N9 yet? I'm asking specifically for Whatsapp.

Yes but why buy a 2 dollar hooker to hold your microsim when you can buy a $400 hooker to hold your microsim? Sorry did I say hooker? I mean a non working $2 piece of plastic vs. a $400 piece of plastic that also makes phone calls. On the down side you can't put the $400 piece of plastic in your 808 or an iPhone so it does make swapping poo poo around a little bit harder.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

I just got my Nokia N9 a couple of days ago. I am mildly wishing I had forked out for the 64Gb model. 16GB is pretty good, but it takes decent pictures and video. Plus it plays video very well so I can easily fill this thing up pretty quickly. Just a word of advice to people on the fence.

I really like the battery saving mode. It basically doesn't even connect to the 3G until something actually needs an internet connection. Seems to work very well.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Island Nation posted:

I went ahead and purchased a N9 to replace my stolen unlocked phone. Is there anything I should be aware of with it that hasn't been covered in any reviews?

Nothing really obvious. I would point out that you if you use the maps and navigation you should download your regions map first. For a couple of days I was kind of upset that using the gps meant I only had like 5 hours of battery life. Turns out that I was essentially just running the 3G connection constantly whenever I was using the maps app.

The swype keyboard is pretty nice if you haven't used that input method before it is worth exploring.

If you find it annoying that the default weather widget is loaded with advertising banners you can replace it with MeeCast, a free app.

The 1.2 Meego update is nice and adds folders to your 'app' screen among other things.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

OWLS! posted:

Two weeks into using the N9, holy hell I love this thing. For once I'm actually using most of the features packed into the phone, up to and including bluetooth (yes yes, feel free to make fun of me for that one.)
It's not without it's problems, occasionally is laggy, and the orientation sensor on mine sometimes requires a tap or two to get the screen rotated one way or another, but overall it's pretty drat great.
I went from dumbphones, to a corporate Blackberry or two, then to a G1 (oh remember the G1?) and my nokia love affair started with the E73 (Yes, yes, I know.) Such a drat shame that there aren't more great phones like this. Guess I'll sit tight and pray that whatever Jolla offers will be at least on the same level.

I was just about to post this. For my personal experience you can replace two weeks with 4 months and you can skip from dumb phone to e73. I miss nothing with my nokia n9. No one has showed me an app or otherwise that I thought, "man I wish I had an IOS/Android/Windows device."

I wish meego wasn't so dead in the water. It has so much to recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Dr Tran posted:

Keep an eye on Jolla. Lots of former Maemo/Meego people working on that.

Does that mean I might still get updates on my n9 or just that I can possibly by a new phone in the future?

• Locked thread