Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I can see the conversations in the board room at Espoo right now. Symbian has reached the limits of its potential and MeeGo is simply not ready to base an entire product line on yet.

Nokia needed a modern OS now or risk completely losing any hold over the smartphone market by the time MeeGo was ready for prime-time. Of course, this is at a time when Nokia is starting to lose their massive advantage at the bottom end by former KIRFers starting to make decent phones at minimal cost.

I'll be interested to see what they bring out and how things go.

FAKE EDIT: Oh, and I'm an IT grad looking for work in Helsinki. Things are going to get even harder for me over here once the layoffs start and there are even fewer jobs available *sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm really surprised that they binned Symbian though. I honestly thought they were just going to push it down into their low end to make the dumbphone smarter.

I agree. Is there any way that they'll be able to cut down MeeGo to work on bargain-bin hardware? They've released charts suggesting the total phasing out of Symbian in favour of Windows Phone 7 across all markets, but I can't picture the developing world being able to afford the hardware necessary, and that market is so important to Nokia that they simply can't afford to cock it up.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

HPL posted:

The funny thing is that if Elop wants to relocate Nokia's head office to the US, the best case scenario is for these employees to just quit because it means no severance.

Head Office is in Espoo, not Tampere.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Peven Stan posted:

My E72 has slowed to an unusable speed. The first few seconds after it boots it runs fine but then it just stops working altogether and locks up even while reading a text. I've tried pulling the battery for an extended time period but nothing seems to work. Did anyone else have this problem?

Have you tried backing up your personal stuff and refreshing the firmware? If that doesn't work, then your hardware might be on the way out.

I'm on my way to Nokia House on Friday - I won a competition, and am apparently getting some sort of prize beyond lunch with recruiters.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
So Nokia House actually looked like a really great place to work. Sure, they're not at the top of the smartphone game any more, but it's still a big company with lots of interesting projects going on within it.

Oh, and they're sending me one of their new X3 touchscreen/keypad hybrids for my trouble. It's only an s40 device, but I supposed it's a good backup to have about.

By the way, you guys have lovely luck with Nokia over there. Here in Europe I think they have a 24 month warranty as standard and they're pretty liberal about it - when my n95 died they would have fixed it for free had it not been water-damaged, and that's without any sort of receipt as the phone hadn't been available for more than 24 months.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

cougar cub posted:

I bought a Rogers C3 because I wanted a cheap phone with a qwerty and after about an hour of searching I haven't been able to find a way to sync my google contacts to the phone. Am I hosed, or is there an awesome symbian app out there that will do this for me? I guess I could install outlook, sync google to outlook, then sync outlook to ovi?

As well, this doesn't work for me, I get the error message "data transfer not possible. check data connection." even when I'm connected to WLAN.

Does this help? I've not used s40 yet, but I will when my X3 gets here.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

LiquidRain posted:

And if there was anyone left wondering why Nokia's turned to Windows Phone 7: There you go. :)

But that phone is S40, and Nokia are keeping S40. S40 != Symbian.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I've been called up for a job interview for Nokia, which is pretty awesome - the interview's the day after I submit my MSc thesis, so the timing is perfect.

On the same day, I also won another competition on Nokia's Facebook page. They've not told me what I'm getting, but I hope it's a step up from the X3-02 that I won (it's great for a budget phone, but it's still not a real smartphone).

Seriously, Nokia shits competitions all over Facebook and Twitter and you can clear up if you keep an eye open. If I keep this up, I'll have a stockpile of phones. The downside if I get a job with them is that I probably wouldn't be eligible for most of these competitions.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I got the prize. It was a wetsuit for my laptop. Bah.

However...

I also got the job - so I won't just be a Nokia fanboy any more.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I just got an E7 from work, and it's way better than I expected it to be. The build quality is excellent, and the keyboard is the best I've ever used on a mobile device. The screen's excellent as well - though it is a pity that the pixel density is pretty low.

The software's definitely better than the old touch-screen Symbian devices, but it's missing some of the polish of the competition.

Hmmm - maybe I can get pre-release access to Symbian Anna on here...

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I know where you're coming from, but I'm now using the Nokia E7 and it's got the best keyboard I've ever used. Is it worth the price they ask for it? Maybe not, but Nokia gave it to me when I started with them. I tried the N97, and the E7 is not nearly so bad.

Posted from my E7.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
The c3 is s40 so you're pretty much restricted to java apps. I found with my x3 that google is a way better app discovery tool than ovi.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Dr Tran posted:

N9 press pics leaked. Should be announced later today with more details.

It's amazing how few leaks we've had on tomorrow's announcement. Can't confirm/deny how genuine those pics are, of course - I've not even seen the main product being released tomorrow, but what I've heard over the internal network at Nokia sounds pretty exciting.

Nokia's summer party is on Wednesday, so I hope they'll let us have a hands-on.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I remember when I first got my N95 the GPS was so slow to lock on after turning it on and a later patch added AGPS. The difference was like night and day - locks took a matter of seconds rather than minutes and traces were far smoother.

Depending on your plan, it may not be that expensive to use AGPS abroad as the amount of data involved is miniscule, and only needs refreshing every 12 hours or so.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

varjoankka posted:

This week I took ~600 pictures with the E7 and they turned out more than great. Cant even imagine how good of a camera N8 has as its thought to be even better.

I've got an E7, and the fixed focus drives me mad. The N8 camera is the best on the market though - it's better than most dedicated compact cameras, even.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
It's a pity that everyone thought that the February announcement meant there wouldn't be further development on Symbian - there's been some remarkable work done in that department recently.

Wish I could comment more on upcoming releases, but I wonder how that guy got his hands on that software.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

HPL posted:

I find it odd they'd be out of the S40 business considering what a significant part of the market it represents for them.

In America. Out of the Symbian and S40 business in America.

EDIT: And no MeeGo either. I believe Nokia's policy for America is that the focus is entirely on selling phones on contract, and none of your carriers want the N9 - but this may not be true because it's what I've read in blogs.

Otik fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 10, 2011

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
DO NOT INSTALL THE LEAKED BELLE

It's awesome but it's still got a few bugs in it, some of which can render your phone unusable (don't know which build is out there). If you install it, you'll probably be unable to upgrade and you can NOT downgrade to Anna without bricking your device.

Belle's great, but wait for the official release. I don't know the exact date, but I suspect it may be sooner than you think.

Anyhow, Anna is now being rolled out...

(disclaimer: while I work at Nokia, I am not a spokesman of any sort)

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Harvey Wine Time posted:

Has anyone made a Symbian app for somethingawful? If not, what are phone posters using?

Not that I know of, but I'd use the poo poo out of a decent Qt SA app. It works pretty well in both the native browser and Opera on Belle for me, though.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I'm looking forward to the event. Elop's going to be addressing the company before the event starts, so it will be interesting to see what he's going to say.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
Honestly, I think the pay-off for not having user-replaceable batteries is worth it on these unibody designs. They're so much more solid than any other phone I've held in my hand.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

varjoankka posted:

Do people change batteries any more? Last time I had a extra battery, it was back in -95 for the Nokia 2110.

I think it's more important in the "next billion" section of the market, where you might not be able to get access to a power outlet as reliably as smartphone buyers generally can.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
The one thing I don't like about either the N9 or Lumia 800 is the PenTile AMOLED screen. It doesn't seem to bother most people, but to my eye it gives a noticeable screen-door effect. I much prefer the screen on my E7.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
Hey, I just work there. I know nothing about that stuff.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Jut posted:

Oh god, I just bought an E7. Oh no! Symbian!! What have I done?!

Honestly I don't find Symbian too bad, it works at the end of the day, and Nokia drive is way ahead of any GPS software I tried on my Android phone (hell it got me 3000 miles across Europe and several countries).

The E7 is fine except for one major flaw. The battery after my first day of usage didn't last longer than 8 hours. poo poo.

Edit: This thread's dead isn't it? I guess Nokia really went downhill over the last 5 years or so.

Belle makes a massive difference, and you won't have to wait too long for it to be publicly available. I love my E7, but know what you mean about the battery life - even if it's no worse than other smartphones, you kind of expect Nokia to be better than the competition in that respect.

As for the thread being dead, well, with most of the new phones being Windows Phone devices, you'll probably get more talk about them in the Windows Phone thread. Nokia's on the way back up!

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

zocio posted:

My good friend Otik, could you tell us from the inside, when to maybe expect belle?
Unless Nokia would send ninja assasins to take care of you, in wich case you can just reply soon and we'll know

My contract's expiring at the end of the year, but it's looking like I'm getting a renewal, so I'm not telling you. That said, I wouldn't have told you anyway - and not just because of Finnjas.

I've been part of the Belle internal beta for ages, and it's totally incomparable to Symbian^3. It's made my E7 into a different device.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I got a Lumia 800 from work today. Loving it so far.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I was one of the people who were put off by the pentile display, but now that I'm actually using it, it's not bothering me at all. As for battery life, it's what I expect from similar devices - i.e., there's room for improvement.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I only got it yesterday, but I think with your settings/usage it would be similar to your phone. I think the reason people have complained about the Lumia's battery comes down to the battery usage you saw on Symbian devices.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
Woops, double post. I guess the Awful app on WP7 still has a couple of issues :)

Otik fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 3, 2012

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
That's the price of buying a smartphone - there's always something just around the corner.

Very pleased with my Lumia, I think you will be too.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Chikimiki posted:

Really eyeing those Lumias too, but I'm not sure about getting a Windows Phone... Sure, it looks very pretty, but the app market seems pretty uninteresting (not even Dropbox!). Might aswell get the N9 for the geek cred :v:

I dunno - there's 55000 apps on Windows Phone and that number is growing by over 300 a day, a number which is increasing itself. I doubt there's much that you're really missing, unless you're talking about specific titles which are quite possibly going to eventually be ported.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Chikimiki posted:

Ya, maybe it's better to wait a bit to see how things (and prices!) develop... Is the app market more like Apple's (closed ecosystem but some very good apps among the crowd) or more like Android's (a lot of apps but not always as polished)?

I think Microsoft's trying to walk the middle ground, so not as restrictive as Apple but still with checks to avoid some of the problems Android has been having security and fraud.

Of course, it's still not as mature as either of those markets so who knows where it will end up?

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I'm going to put this up here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR99WWdxmwc

I can't wait for MWC next week!

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Septimus posted:

This is a teaser for a nokia phone that is as white as the driven snow (or something)

Or maybe a new phone that has a gigantic lens and sensor on it. Who knows!

Maybe I do. And maybe I posted it because I know it's leading somewhere interesting.

Or maybe I just thought it was a cool video. Whatever.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
Nokia's going to have a big presence at MWC, but I can't give any feedback on speculation - partially because much of it is as much a mystery to me as to everyone else, and partially because I'm not going to share anything that shouldn't be being shared. As Froist said, the big things filter through to employees last. To be honest, a lot of the stuff I know comes from following the blogs religiously.

And in response to Froist, they've loosened up a bit recently with employees talking about Nokia, as long as no confidential material is leaked. They actually encourage us to put friendly faces out there.

EDIT: Woah, I guess the WP7 app still needs work.

Otik fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 24, 2012

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Dr Tran posted:

Never heard of this issue. I would try updating the app or changing the Facebook password.

Also, update to Belle if they haven't already. It's not something I've read about either.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
Yeah, it's genuinely a 41mp sensor, and it is possible to take pictures at a resolution up to 38mp - but where it really excels is when the images are resized to 8, 5 or 3mp, using the data from the full sensor.

Also, the sensor is HUGE. It's something like 2.5x the size of the N8's sensor, which was already big.

This is all stuff I've read publicly - I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I have no idea if the hardware would support it (I'd be surprised if it did, 4K is a LOT of pixels) but I'm hoping everything will be open enough to allow hackers to do some crazy poo poo with the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Island Nation posted:

I knew about pentaband but not that it was micro sim

Is micro sim widely used outside the iPhone 4/s and N9 & soon the 808? At least the adapters are cheap.

The Lumia devices use it as well. I believe it's increasing in popularity because of how little spare space there is in modern devices.

• Locked thread