Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«600 »
Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

according to the description, its 2 30 round mags welded together, and converging to the proper single stack at the entrance.

I imagine there is an internal central rib, but not full height, and the rounds are just pushed up as they are used, but not evenly.

i imagine its pretty iffy to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJM8asnj6JY

Ta-daaaa

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD

What do I need to get to fix a dustcover that falls off during firing? I think it has to do with the spring that keeps pressure on the latch. This would be for some kind of x39 variant though I am not sure of its origin.

RU 187 261 LIB
Feb 20, 2009

M is for MURDER

Death of Chivalry posted:

What do I need to get to fix a dustcover that falls off during firing? I think it has to do with the spring that keeps pressure on the latch. This would be for some kind of x39 variant though I am not sure of its origin.

If you can post pics we can probably figure out what kind it is, not sure on the dustcover.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Is your dust cover correctly installed? The front of the dust cover sits in the grove on your rear sight block, just above the op rod. Also the dust cover should sit comfortably in it's notch in the rear trunnion and the recoil spring guide should be protruding from the back of the dust cover.

CORRECT

If it looks like this then we have an underlying problem.

NOT CORRECT

If it looks like this you're doing it loving wrong.

If that's all correct, then your dust cover is probably rubbing against the bolt carrier.

Miso Beno fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 25, 2009

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD

Miso Beno posted:

NOT CORRECT

If it looks like this you're doing it loving wrong.

If that's all correct, then your dust cover is probably rubbing against the bolt carrier.

I think I'm doing it loving wrong. I think the part under the rear sight is crimped so I will need to fix that a bit to get it to fit in all the way. Thanks for the help and the super awesome photos!

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I think I'm doing it loving wrong. I think the part under the rear sight is crimped so I will need to fix that a bit to get it to fit in all the way. Thanks for the help and the super awesome photos!

You should take a photo of where you think it might be damaged with and without the dust cover in place.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Do you have a recoil buffer (Blackjack) installed?

HoseKing
Jul 22, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Groda posted:

Do you have a recoil buffer (Blackjack) installed?

Do those even work or are they on the accu wedge level of firearm accessories?

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Merry Christmas and all that....

Yeah, I've never had a dustcover come off during fire, especially semi-auto fire, when its installed the right way. The front of the dustcover is buldged and might fit into the notch tightly but it should go in with minimal force. The rear of the cover is held on by the lip of the rear trunion and the recoil rod. No way the rod is to blame, but i think that has already been established.

We'll get you worked out. Worst case is your cover is hosed up and you have to get a new one. They aren't spendy.

Now, get out of here you looser, this is a family holiday. Open some gifts, eat some food, get drunk...like a normal person. Stop looking at commie guns today!

All the best TFR, have a great one

RU 187 261 LIB
Feb 20, 2009

M is for MURDER

Mishaco posted:

Now, get out of here you looser, this is a family holiday. Open some gifts, eat some food, get drunk...like a normal person. Stop looking at commie guns today!

Gifts open, food eaten, too full of food to drink yet!

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

HoseKing posted:

Do those even work or are they on the accu wedge level of firearm accessories?

Recoil buffers are unnecessary. Many people install them when they notice peening on the rear of the bolt carrier and/or the bolt carrier hangs up in the cutouts at the rear of the receiver, but these problems are better solved with the installation of a new recoil spring.

Speaking of recoil springs and flying dust covers, does anyone have an online source for recoil spring guides with the spring-loaded retention pin? I'm pretty sure they were standard Combloc kit for use with GP-25 and GP-30 grenade launchers.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

ShaiHulud posted:

Recoil buffers are unnecessary. Many people install them when they notice peening on the rear of the bolt carrier and/or the bolt carrier hangs up in the cutouts at the rear of the receiver, but these problems are better solved with the installation of a new recoil spring.

Speaking of recoil springs and flying dust covers, does anyone have an online source for recoil spring guides with the spring-loaded retention pin? I'm pretty sure they were standard Combloc kit for use with GP-25 and GP-30 grenade launchers.

Apex Gun Parts has them (assuming you mean Yugo M70 style). They're a great source of AK bits, especially Yugo ones.

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

I'm looking for this:

Of course K-Var has nothing in stock. The last M70 parts kit I bought from Apex had a buttonless recoil spring guide, but thanks for trying to help. I imagine a Saiga style button would work at the expense of not looking correct.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

what is the current "Best Buy" for a fixed stock 7.62x39 AK?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

the sgl20 is under 600 at k-var

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

king of the bongo posted:

uh wow that is a fairly baller for an arsenal

Potential BFF
Feb 24, 2007

What the hell is the difference between the sgl20 and the sgl21 aside from about $100?

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

SGL-20 doesn't have the 'accessory' lug under the gas block and the 21 does. In military use, this lug could be useful in attaching a grenade launcher. For civie use? I have no idea what it could be much good for. Its like the appendix of the AK-74 world.

Potential BFF
Feb 24, 2007

Mishaco posted:

SGL-20 doesn't have the 'accessory' lug under the gas block and the 21 does. In military use, this lug could be useful in attaching a grenade launcher. For civie use? I have no idea what it could be much good for. Its like the appendix of the AK-74 world.

That little bit escaped me while looking over the K-VAR site, thanks. I'm seriously considering buying an AK and it looks like the K-VARs are some of the best. I'm sort of disappointed that they don't offer with SGL-20 with the aluminum handguard set but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have some extra polymer parts.

Has anyone had much experience with the K-VAR scope mounts?

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

Has anyone had much experience with the K-VAR scope mounts?
Not specifically, but I can't imagine it's $70 better than the BP-02 Low Profile Centered Mount unless you require picatinny instead of weaver.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Hmm
Once they did have SGLs with railed handguards. They will probably still do a batch now and again.

Potential BFF
Feb 24, 2007

Mishaco posted:

Hmm
Once they did have SGLs with railed handguards. They will probably still do a batch now and again.

Yea, just 21s at the moment.

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD

Miso Beno posted:

You should take a photo of where you think it might be damaged with and without the dust cover in place.

It's not my AK but my friend's so I will have to visit him to check it out. I love being the goto guy for gun help and I owe it all to TFR . Thanks guys!

HoseKing
Jul 22, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Painting a orange Bakelite lower handguard off a wz88.....

I sanded it a tad rough for better primer adhesion, 2 thin coats of primer, each let to dry 4 hours and overnight before paint, 3 coats black kyrlon, each let dry 4 hours between coatings, and a light matte clear coat after 24 hours of drying. Waited 24 hours after that and after medium use at the range over the span of a few hours, a lot of it has either flaked or rubbed off.... What gives.

The top handguard is just fine. I want back furniture but dont want to pay $50 for a poly handguard.

Help me not be a dumbass when it comes to painting.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Krylon is a great easy solution, but no matter what, it's paint and will flake off... not sure why yours is flaking so soon, but the only solution is to keep applying more thin layers. Did you degrease before spraying?

I did mine with five coats of Aluma-Hyde II, which is an air-cure epoxy and has held up really well so far through regular use.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

$50 for a lower handguard?

PM me...i can get you a K-Var one with heat shield for less than that.
As i said in the oP, Tantals (WZ.88) can take standard lower handguards.

As for SGL-20s, if they dont have rails now, they never will. This batch that K-Var has are the last ones that Arsenal will ever make. They actually thought they were completely out of them, and then found a few hiding in the back of something, somewhere.

drat but i want one of those RPK-201 clones that Arsenal is selling. That's an RPK-74 but in 5.56 NATO and with a milled receiver. Your choice of wood or polymer furniture. But the price is high.
A milled RPK must be insanely heavy but stable.

Potential BFF
Feb 24, 2007

Mishaco posted:

As for SGL-20s, if they dont have rails now, they never will. This batch that K-Var has are the last ones that Arsenal will ever make. They actually thought they were completely out of them, and then found a few hiding in the back of something, somewhere.

That's a bummer, I wonder how the aluminum handguards would look with an OD grip/stock/mag.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Where is the best buy in a set of 1.25" longer so called "NATO length" plum US made AK furniture for my stamped receiver?

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

Where is the best buy in a set of 1.25" longer so called "NATO length" plum US made AK furniture for my stamped receiver?

DPHArms has full sets for $110. If you just need the longer buttstock and already have plum handguards, Dinzag Arms has NATO buttstocks for $60 with free shipping until the end of the 2009 - coupon code 'BRAINS'.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

ShaiHulud posted:

DPHArms has full sets for $110. If you just need the longer buttstock and already have plum handguards, Dinzag Arms has NATO buttstocks for $60 with free shipping until the end of the 2009 - coupon code 'BRAINS'.

drat I was hoping for lower than this.
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...cts_id/2923?SID

oh well, there is this thing going on in a thread here:
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=118522

$44.99

Click here for the full 800x502 image.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

I have a kvar nato length black buttstock that I am not using from my arsenal. I am using the rest of the furniture so it is the black buttstock only. If you end up not finding anything in your budget hit me up. Maybe we can trade something or figure out a decent price for it.

e:the only place I have seen full kvar/ US marked poly furniture for cheap has been on the akforum classifieds and most of it is warsaw length

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 28, 2009

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

I apologize for what might be a stupid question, but i don't know much about AK's from what i've seen, mounting rails/optics have been difficult. How difficult would it be to just manufacture handguards with rails built into them? Wouldn't that solve the problem of the lack of rails on the front end of the gun?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Crunkjuice posted:

I apologize for what might be a stupid question, but i don't know much about AK's from what i've seen, mounting rails/optics have been difficult. How difficult would it be to just manufacture handguards with rails built into them? Wouldn't that solve the problem of the lack of rails on the front end of the gun?

There are a number of companies that do this already, such as Ultimak and Midwest Industries

djs622
Sep 16, 2007

I don't think this really deserves its own post, but I have a question about the whole "The AK has killed more people than any other gun in history" that you hear on the history/military channel/mtv documentaries.

Is there any academic paper that supports this? How is this tabulated? I'm a history buff, but I'm not a full time academic so I don't really have access or maybe the right amount of info, but where is this ranking coming from?

The ak-involved war death toll is (this is really ball-parked): 1 million s.vietnamese in the vietnam war, maybe another million in the afghan conflict, and figure maybe another 2 million in the various dirt ball african conflicts (sierra leone, congo, angola, somalia, rhodesia, etc). Then add maybe .5 million from eastern europe and you're only at 4.5 million.

These are gross figures that don't incorporate the deaths from tanks, artillery, mines, machine guns, and other explosives. So you're only taking a fraction of that 4.5 million.

I don't see how this could compare to say, the mauser k98, which was involved in two world wars. This is including both ww1 and 2's russian front, where over 40 million russians died. Even if only 10% of those deaths came from mausers, you're already past the Ak's total. Then add the millions of french and british and take a small fraction of that.

*though it should be noted that a lot of the Russian civilian deaths were from disease and starvation.

djs622 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 29, 2009

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

djs622 posted:

I don't think this really deserves its own post, but I have a question about the whole "The AK has killed more people than any other gun in history" that you hear on the history/military channel/mtv documentaries.

Is there any academic paper that supports this? How is this tabulated? I'm a history buff, but I'm not a full time academic so I don't really have access or maybe the right amount of info, but where is this ranking coming from?

The ak-involved war death toll is (this is really ball-parked): 1 million s.vietnamese in the vietnam war, maybe another million in the afghan conflict, and figure maybe another 2 million in the various dirt ball african conflicts (sierra leone, congo, angola, somalia, rhodesia, etc). Then add maybe .5 million from eastern europe and you're only at 4.5 million.

These are gross figures that don't incorporate the deaths from tanks, artillery, mines, machine guns, and other explosives. So you're only taking a fraction of that 4.5 million.

I don't see how this could compare to say, the mauser k98, which was involved in two world wars. This is including both ww1 and 2's russian front, where over 40 million russians died. Even if only 10% of those deaths came from mausers, you're already past the Ak's total. Then add the millions of french and british and take a small fraction of that.

*though it should be noted that a lot of the Russian civilian deaths were from disease and starvation.

It's been answered before. I'm sure the mosin nagant has killed more than the AK.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

I have a kvar nato length black buttstock that I am not using from my arsenal. I am using the rest of the furniture so it is the black buttstock only. If you end up not finding anything in your budget hit me up. Maybe we can trade something or figure out a decent price for it.

e:the only place I have seen full kvar/ US marked poly furniture for cheap has been on the akforum classifieds and most of it is warsaw length

The furniture I have now looks like this:
http://www.outlawperformance.com/images/gunstuff/AK-74/

I think I will pay the extra money at this point because I so much want it to look like this:

I will probably trade off this old furniture to someone who wants to sand/strip/refinish the old stuff.

djs622 posted:

I haven't heard the claim that is is such a deadly weapon. I hear things like it being the most widely distributed, or most engaged in conflict, but not most deaths.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

What's the difference between Nato and Warsaw length? The warsaw length is the standard short stock?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Scarecrow411 posted:

What's the difference between Nato and Warsaw length? The warsaw length is the standard short stock?

Exactly. NATO is around the size of an AR A2 stock, Warsaw is the original shorter length. There's no reason to get a NATO unless you're like 6'5" or taller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

the rats- warsaw then acs then moe

«600 »