Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«600 »
DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Do you guys know if Silver Bear 5.45x39 60 gr FMJ has a steel core bullet? None of the silly indoor ranges around here want me to shoot my ak there because i tell them or show them I have silver bear and they say it's steel core. it just says bimetal on the box so idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Do you think that saying "The internet says it's not steel core!" is going to convince them otherwise?

HoseKing
Jul 22, 2009

by Fistgrrl

DrPop posted:

Do you guys know if Silver Bear 5.45x39 60 gr FMJ has a steel core bullet? None of the silly indoor ranges around here want me to shoot my ak there because i tell them or show them I have silver bear and they say it's steel core. it just says bimetal on the box so idk

It is steel core. It has a copper jacket around a lead jacket around a steel core.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

posted a new AK in the OP.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I create

I hope that someone, someday, can do a run down on options for mounting optics on AKs, both using Russian side rail stuff and American hand guard replacement + optics.

I really want to stay com-block on my Russian AK but I have zero experience with various side rail optics.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Scarecrow411 posted:

Do you think that saying "The internet says it's not steel core!" is going to convince them otherwise?

yes

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I should have some time tomorrow to give the OP its first update.
I will stick Warsaw v Nato stocks in the FAQ part, add some info about the RK.62 and 95TS, and a few other bits.
I still don't know what to tell you on the rail thing.

Truth is...there is no 'best' one...different people prefer different mounts. The traditional comblock method was a side-rail, with a Cobra sight.
But most AKs that were issued, didn't come with any optic what-so ever, since the AK is a relatively short-range weapon. For longer fire, that could benefit from a scope, they had the SVD (PSL in Romania and M76 in Yugoslavia).
Additionally, the RPK had slightly longer range than the standard AK, but even they were not normally equiped with a sight/scope.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Has anyone heard about this yet?

http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/pr...72&categoryId=4

WASR-3 carbines, garunteed no cant FSBs, and apparently threaded barrels (though I can't tell due to different wording from their website vs. their ad on ARFCom, but they may or may not come with a welded muzzle nut over threads) with 2 mags for $409.00, they also have the 5.45 WASR-2s for the same deal. These are century, but it seems that Henderson Defense is an otherwise legit place (not confirmed?) so if they are standing behind it, then it seems like a great deal. Especially for those who are looking for an inexpensive but usable entry into AKs while keeping a common caliber with guns they currently own (me).

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Action Jesus posted:

it seems that Henderson Defense is an otherwise legit place (not confirmed?) so if they are standing behind it, then it seems like a great deal.
My AK is a Henderson Defense-built G-kit on an NDS receiver. I'm happy with it, and when the stock catch rivet fell out after a couple shots they fixed it no questions asked and threw a $20 bill in the package on return to pay for my shipping to them, so I'm happy with their service too.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

The Automator posted:

WASR-10
74 style brake
Midwest Industries rail system
Aimpoint CompML2
Ace grip adapter with MIAD
VLTOR stock adapter with MOE stock

Discuss

74 style brake is loud, flashy and big. It's pretty useless if you don't have full auto option.

Rail is big and heavy and the optic sits too high. Ultimak is 10 times better.

Why MIAD on a AK?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

AntiTank posted:

74 style brake is loud, flashy and big. It's pretty useless if you don't have full auto option.

Rail is big and heavy and the optic sits too high. Ultimak is 10 times better.

Why MIAD on a AK?

I hate the standard AK grip. It's not big enough. I hate the SAW grips, too.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

My friend brought those WASR-2/3s to my attention with muzzle nuts.

Speculation..they probably do not have standard 14mm threads. The romanian military PA-86s and commercial M-97s had 22mm threads located on the front sight base, like the AK-74's 24mm threads.

Now the external barrel diameter of the WASR-2/3 is less than the one of the WASR-10/SAR-1 or whatever. So if it were to be threaded...most likely it would be 12mm or less?

That company is fine, just another stocker of Century Arms imports. They don't build the WASR-10/2/3, just import them and modify them to military style.
In my experience cantted blocks on WASRs do happen but not so often as some people like to think. It is also a very easily corrected problem.

And AK-74 brakes are great for what they were meant to do. They really do help with muzzle raise and drift.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

how do you correct a canted FSB? i think mine is just a smidge canted but it would be nice to fix,

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

The Automator posted:

I hate the standard AK grip. It's not big enough. I hate the SAW grips, too.

Galil grips are nice.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Here is an extremely detailed AK-74 mag guide that I tripped over online. maybe some of it could be useful to the op?

http://home.comcast.net/~shooter2_i..._mag_guide.html

Does anyone have a handy link for a guide to 7.62x39 mags?

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

how do you correct a canted FSB? i think mine is just a smidge canted but it would be nice to fix,
You'll need a good sturdy vice, aluminum vice jaws to avoid scarring the finish, a pair of appropriately sized steel punches (cut one down to about 1/2" in length), some scrap leather, a monkey wrench, 1/8" drill bit, drill, hacksaw, some 1/8" drill rod, and a hammer. Drift the FSB pins out from left to right using the short punch first (you might have to beat on it quite a bit, the shorter shank resists bending until you get it started), soak FSB in Kroil and/or use a propane torch to loosen it, line the jaws of the monkey wrench with leather (an old belt or broken sling works well) and turn the FSB. Once you get it aligned, carefully drill out the holes using the 1/8" drill bit and install two new drill rod retaining pins hacksawed to the correct length.

If the adjustment is minor, some recommend simply heating the FSB with a torch, placing a piece of brass or aluminum against the FSB to protect it, and giving it a solid whack with a hammer. This apparently deforms the pins without the need to remove them first. I haven't attempted this method, but the first procedure I described isn't too difficult.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

ShaiHulud posted:

You'll need a good sturdy vice, aluminum vice jaws to avoid scarring the finish, a pair of appropriately sized steel punches (cut one down to about 1/2" in length), some scrap leather, a monkey wrench, 1/8" drill bit, drill, hacksaw, some 1/8" drill rod, and a hammer. Drift the FSB pins out from left to right using the short punch first (you might have to beat on it quite a bit, the shorter shank resists bending until you get it started), soak FSB in Kroil and/or use a propane torch to loosen it, line the jaws of the monkey wrench with leather (an old belt or broken sling works well) and turn the FSB. Once you get it aligned, carefully drill out the holes using the 1/8" drill bit and install two new drill rod retaining pins hacksawed to the correct length.

If the adjustment is minor, some recommend simply heating the FSB with a torch, placing a piece of brass or aluminum against the FSB to protect it, and giving it a solid whack with a hammer. This apparently deforms the pins without the need to remove them first. I haven't attempted this method, but the first procedure I described isn't too difficult.

OK. as it stands the front sight is more or less on target but the drum is as far to the right as it will go, so it looks kinda goofy - hence why it's less than essential. maybe i'll do it when i have more time kicking around or something.

thanks for describing the procedure though, that is helpful should I get up the energy to get it done.

wood grain grippin
May 22, 2006

wood grain sippin

infrared35 posted:

Does anyone have a handy link for a guide to 7.62x39 mags?

This is pretty awesome for spot indentification.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

7.62x39 mags are less diverse than 5.45x39 ones.

The first ones were slab-sided steel, which were blued and held 30 rounds. These were used by everyone.
The second types were 30 rounds as well, but with ribbed sides. These were either parkerized or blued and made by everyone. Yugoslavia's version had a bolt-hold open built into the follower and a different pattern on the side. The only real differences from country to country were the patterns of welds and of ribbing.
Along the same time, 20 round ribbed magazines were developed and used primarily in Hungary and Romania. Russia never officially had 20 round mags.
When the RPK was released, 40 round ribbed magazines also came out to go with it. Again these could be blued or parked and were used by basically everyone. Differences were minor from nation to nation.
In the 1970s, bakolite 30 round 7.62x39 magazines also appeared.
In the 1980s and 1990s, Russia and later Bulgarian began manufacturing polymer 7.62x39 magazines in both 30 and 40 rounds. These could be either slab sided or waffle patterned and were most often blue or dark grey.

Drum magazines were primarily of 75 rounds and top-loading, but China developed the 75 and 100 rounds rear-loading drum. There were later adopted by Bulgaria and Romania (in 75 rounds, the 100 rounds version never caught on to great extent). Russia on the other hand never widely issued drum magazines of any kind.

Additionally, 5 and 10 round magazines were made in the '90s for the US export market. Romanian ones were of steel and double stack. Hungarian ones were of clear plastic and single stack. Later Bulgarian made ones were of a waffle pattern and made of black polymer.

Saiga magazines are a unique double stack design and of 8 or 10 rounds and made from polymer.

Most recently, WASR-10s come into the country with single-stack steel magazines.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

wood grain grippin posted:

This is pretty awesome for spot indentification.

Goddamn that explains a lot about 5,56 mags. Thank you!

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

Mishaco posted:

In the 1970s, bakolite 30 round 7.62x39 magazines also appeared.

There are also 40 round bakelite 7.62x39 mags...but those are insanely priced (every time I see one I have to resist the urge to spend 250-300 bucks on one...because I want one...but not that badly).

I do have one of the 30 rounders...they are nice.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

If someone is wondering about the little loops on the bottom of the finnish mags, that is for the little leather belt that loops around the barrel so you won't drop your precious magazines in the woods.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Saukkis posted:

If someone is wondering about the little loops on the bottom of the finnish mags, that is for the little leather belt that loops around the barrel so you won't drop your precious magazines in the woods.

Yeah you crazy Finns like your mag loops. Look at the Suomi's mags.

Anyway, the OPs have been updated. If you have good links, PM them to me, and i will add them to the Links section of the second OP. I addressed the Warsaw v Nato stock question in the FAQ as well as adding info on Finnish RKs.

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

Awesome work so far Mishaco. I dunno if homebuild stuff belongs in the OP, but for Americans interested in building their own stamped receiver AK (probably one of the most accessible platforms for home gun building) you really only need two links:

AK Builder sells rivet sets, 922 compliance parts, and tooling to rivet together parts or even fold your own receiver from sheet metal.

NodakSpud offers a great selection of 100% stamped AK receivers

Q: I'm thinking about building a stamped AK and I need a receiver. What do the percentages mean?
A: A 100% receiver is prebuilt and ready have the trunnions riveted in. These are serialed, and must be transferred through an FFL just like a completed firearm.
An 80% receiver is a length of square steel tubing. While this can ship directly to your door (no FFL), you will need to drill all axis pin and trunnion rivet holes, as well as cut out the magazine well and install the center support and internal rails.
A 0% receiver (or 'flat') is simply a piece of sheet metal that must be bent into a receiver shape. Most flats have the holes predrilled and the magazine well already cut out, but you'll still need to install the internal rails and center support. With good quality 100% receivers available for a reasonable price, there's really no need to invest in the tooling to build up an 80% or less receiver.

Q: What are compliance parts and why should I care?
A: US Federal law prohibits some weapons from importation, and further prohibits the construction of a weapon that would be banned from importation in certain configurations. You can build your own stamped AK at home so long as you use no more than 10 imported parts. Here is a list of AK parts. Remember that no more than 10 may be imported:
  • Receiver
  • Barrel
  • Front and Rear Trunnions
  • Muzzle Attachment
  • Bolt
  • Bolt Carrier
  • Gas Piston
  • Trigger
  • Hammer
  • Disconnector
  • Buttstock
  • Pistol Grip
  • Handguards
  • Magazine body
  • Magazine follower
  • Magazine floorplate

To the best of my knowledge, there are no US-made bolts, bolt carriers, or front trunnions (front and rear trunnions count as a single item), so you're stuck with at least 3 import parts.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users

Mishaco posted:

Yeah you crazy Finns like your mag loops. Look at the Suomi's mags.

Its because "Those magazines there are expensive, recruit! We will stay here until every last one of them is found, now comb that forest!"

I would make Finnish army jokes here about it but they lose most of its charm in translation.. and they're not funny to people that haven't experienced it first hand.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Sormus posted:

Its because "Those magazines there are expensive, recruit! We will stay here until every last one of them is found, now comb that forest!"

I would make Finnish army jokes here about it but they lose most of its charm in translation.. and they're not funny to people that haven't experienced it first hand.
You just reminded me of the time I lost my bolt carrier on a snow covered logging clearing.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

How much are the East german bakelite ak74 30 round mags currently worth? I am seeing prices from $18 all the way up to $30 on some sites.

This is a picture of their condition.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Well if that's what people are paying for them...why not? Back during the AWB i paid $15-20 for an E.G. bakelite pretty regularly.

If they are in good shape...$18 doesn't seem too bad. I'd probably pay it if i needed one to complete a pouch or something. They are neat in a very comblock way.
5.45x39 mags have gone up in demand ever since the cheap surplus ammo hit the market.
Back in 2002 i paid $9 for NIB Arsenal circle 10 30 round polymer mags. Now, they cost me at least twice that. Why? demand pure and simple. Back than few people owned rifles in that caliber. Now its the hot thing.

On a side note, i was looking around TGI's site and noticed the price for one of their 'truck guns' is up to $499 now.
For that i'd suggest saving a bit more and getting an SGL-31, or spending nearly $100 less for one of those WASR-2s. Really the WASR isn't a bad gun if you can get it for $400ish and it comes with sling and other goodies.

I've had some time to go over my new Polish milled AK-47 (WZ.1960) and i really like it. The original parts are in good shape (maybe even great?) The US made receiver is pretty close to milspec, at least good enough for me, comparing it to my Arsenal milled receivers. The US made barrel is of the heavier type like they used on the original Type IIIs, and it even came with a double-hook trigger.

Century says these are a limited run item. The only reason they even did them is because they had milled receivers made for their new Centurian-39 and those Polish kits recently hit the market.
The Centurian-39 is a 100% US made AK but with 'modern' furniture (i.e. rails and stuff).

I posted some new stuff in the OP, keep it coming TFR and i wll hold up my end. How about some pictures? Not something i could do on my own well you understand.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Mishaco posted:

Well if that's what people are paying for them...why not? Back during the AWB i paid $15-20 for an E.G. bakelite pretty regularly.

Thanks for the price info.

On a side note, I had no idea that saiga made a full auto .22lr ak.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Most likely an army trainer.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Mishaco posted:

On a side note, i was looking around TGI's site and noticed the price for one of their 'truck guns' is up to $499 now.
For that i'd suggest saving a bit more and getting an SGL-31, or spending nearly $100 less for one of those WASR-2s. Really the WASR isn't a bad gun if you can get it for $400ish and it comes with sling and other goodies.

I've had some time to go over my new Polish milled AK-47 (WZ.1960) and i really like it. The original parts are in good shape (maybe even great?) The US made receiver is pretty close to milspec, at least good enough for me, comparing it to my Arsenal milled receivers. The US made barrel is of the heavier type like they used on the original Type IIIs, and it even came with a double-hook trigger.

Dammit, you're making it really hard for me not to buy a Polish milled rifle...and I don't really have space for more rifles now...but you've made me want one (and you're making me tempted again to get an SGL-31...dammit...you're going to make me rent a storage locker for my non-gun stuff to make room, aren't you).

Seriously though...good to hear about the Polish milled AK...I may have to visit the local gunsmith and see if he has one...thats the sort of thing he'd be all over...anything AK or FAL related he generally loves (though his current love is the vz.82, as he's been getting those in and sometimes duracoating them along with going over all the internals and fixing any burrs or imperfections...the DA trigger pull on mine is very nice actually).

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

yep, its what i do.

I too love both the AK and FAL. Those are my 'assault' type guns. I can't afored as many FALs as i have AKs but oh well. They also don't come in as many different configurations.

I am 95% happy with the Polish AK. Being parked instead of blued is a bummer. Also would have been nice to have the original barrel, but hey Century and every other AK builder would probably say the same. They didn't make the ruling of '05.

The Vz.82 is a nice gun. Its only detraction is the safety. You can't engage it unless the hammer is back and there is no decocker. Aside from that, its small, especially for a double stack, durable, great trigger, easy slide, and just comfortable to fire.

Really CZ is a good company in general. The Vz.58 is a superior gun in many respects to the AK, except its more expensive to manufacturer and has more small parts. On the other hand it has a milled receiver thats almost as light as a stamped one, its striker fired instead of hammer, lightweight magazines with bolt-hold open in all of them, short-stroke gas pistin which gives better accuracy, and just looks badass. Its interesting it comes exclusively with a 15" barrel, instead of the standard 16.25" which most AK models share.

Comparing the Vz.52 rifle to the SKS-45; there is no contest. The Vz is better in most every regard. More accurate, removeable magazine (they were issued with 2), much easier bolt disassembly, and really no more expensive to produce. Too bad the Soviets made Czechoslovakia discontinue the 7.62x45 CZ cartridge.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Mishaco posted:

I am 95% happy with the Polish AK. Being parked instead of blued is a bummer. Also would have been nice to have the original barrel, but hey Century and every other AK builder would probably say the same. They didn't make the ruling of '05.

The Vz.82 is a nice gun. Its only detraction is the safety. You can't engage it unless the hammer is back and there is no decocker. Aside from that, its small, especially for a double stack, durable, great trigger, easy slide, and just comfortable to fire.

Really CZ is a good company in general. The Vz.58 is a superior gun in many respects to the AK, except its more expensive to manufacturer and has more small parts. On the other hand it has a milled receiver thats almost as light as a stamped one, its striker fired instead of hammer, lightweight magazines with bolt-hold open in all of them, short-stroke gas pistin which gives better accuracy, and just looks badass. Its interesting it comes exclusively with a 15"

Comparing the Vz.52 rifle to the SKS-45; there is no contest. The Vz is better in most every regard. More accurate, removeable magazine (they were issued with 2), much easier bolt disassembly, and really no more expensive to produce. Too bad the Soviets made Czechoslovakia discontinue the 7.62x45 CZ cartridge.
barrel, instead of the standard 16.25" which most AK models share.

I'd prefer blued as well...after having my Type-56 underfolder with the nice blued finish...its very nice...but parked is something I could live with as well if I got one.

I'd also love to have a vz.58 (almost bought one a while back)...lack of space for another rifle is what keeps me from doing it (and buying a lot of other stuff...I could make a list...but it would end up an expensive list so perhaps its for the better). The czechs made some interesting stuff...and I'm really loving my vz.82 (especially since it was cheap to feed when the price of 9mm luger went sky high...I could get 9x18 for a lot less at the time 6 months back or whenever).

Edit: Also, I wonder how hard it is to make bakelite mags...I'd love to see some crazy company make some 40 round bakelite 7.62x39 mags (if nothing else to drive the prices down)...obviously with USA markings or something to distinguish them (assuming they could be made of a quality comparable to the originals). I'd buy some for sure.

Vorlonesque fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 3, 2010

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Vorlonesque posted:

Edit: Also, I wonder how hard it is to make bakelite mags...

It's not bakelite.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

yeah, technically its not bakelite but if some one says "bakeliteAK mag" everyone knows what they are speaking of.

But magazines are one of the most time-consuming things to get just right. And though you really want a 40 round bakelite mag and i am sure others would too, the demand would be small for 2 reasons:
1) people who want such 'rare' things mostly only want real Russian/Bulgarian made things, built back in the '70s. Any US made one would simply be considered an inferior copy and therefore less desirable.
2) Cost...simple cost...if a US company made bakelite (again i know its not really) 40 rd mags, to exact original specs, with the same original quality...think about how much it'd cost to set up the production line. When i was talking with MSAR about their mags for the STG-556 they claimed the molds for the mags alone cost $55,000.00. So how much would a US made AK bakelite cost? Now compare that to how cheap steel 40 round surplus mags are & the fact that Arsenal sells brand new waffle 40 round magazines for $30-35.00.

Is it really practical?

Right now there is just so much inexpensive AK stuff still coming out of East Europe, but that all won't last forever. If companies like Arsenal who are already tooled up to make it can continue to import things, prices will remain 'ok' but still not as good as surplus. If not and we ahve to begin relying on US made stuff....either prices will rise noticeably or quality will decline.

My advice? buy all the mags, pouches, slings, and whatever now; while you can still find them and they are cheap. Those warehouses in whatever-Stan aren't infinite. I am not saying it will all go away in 6 months..more like 6 years? Ok maybe 3 or 4 years? Hard to say.

I might also point out...Century is doing tha t100% US made AK now....ask yourself, 'why?' Why not just continue building AKs out of kits? why invest so much time and money into setting up production lines and supply lines for all the parts, instead of just demilling military firearms?
Not too long ago, FAL parts kits were cheap and plentiful. Now, how are they doing? This is the nature of surplus things.
Aks are no exception, even if they were made in large numbers.

Lecture over. For homework tonight, read pages 110 through 160 from The Big Book of AKs.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Came across something interesting the other day. It appears that at least a small batch of 7.62 Saiga sporter rifles may have been assembled with threaded barrels from another contract. The rifles in question appear to be from a batch manufactured in late 2008-early 2009. I know of only a handful of examples, but they all seem to come from barrels that have notches cut for hand guard retainers, and the chambers do not step the neck of cases. Also, the rifles all had dimpled receivers, though I am not sure if that has any bearing since most of the recent ones have this feature. In all instances the threads were discovered by owners who were removing part of the FSB's barrel sleeve in order to thread the barrel for a brake anyway. The beginnings of threads may be visible in the gap between the barrel sleeve and the barrel at the muzzle.

Even with the reports I've seen, I can't say which rifles would definitely have the threads present. As such, I would probably refrain from modifying the sleeve unless I was already planning to thread the barrel or replace the FSB with a 74 style front site base.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 5, 2010

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I also know some PSLs came in with threaded barrels and non-welded muzzle brakes. That's a pretty big no-no according to 922(r) and the '89 import thing.

In other news.
Apex has some Romanian 30 round steel 5.45x39 magazines in vg+ to excelent condition. Kind of neat just because Romie steel PA-86 mags aren't common now. Back in the day Romak IIs came with them, but the SAR-2 series all shipped with East German bakelite mags, at least the vast majority of them.
The mags are $25.00 so not insanely high, but not cheap. If they are in great shape, they might be worth it?

Apex also has Yugo 30 round magazines with the bolt-hold open follower for $13.00. That's a better value for sure and not a bad feature to have in your rifle.

I ordered a couple of each as i was already placing an order. We'll see how they look.

BaronVonBigmeat
Sep 4, 2003

Edison's Medicine

Soo...can someone recommend an AK to someone who is new to all this?

I'm looking at the Romanian guns at classicarms and aimsurplus (Romanian = WASR?), mainly due to the price of course. But if it's worth it to throw in an extra $100 and get a Yugo M70 or a Lancaster NDS-2 for example, I can do that. Or just wait and get one of the Polish milled guns at classicarms. I'm not in a hurry or anything, I'm just curious what the extra money gets you. Reliability, accuracy, better trigger, more aftermarket parts, etc?

Also, why are the Lancaster 5.45 guns like, $200 cheaper than their 7.62 guns? It says on their website they use stainless barrels, are they the only ones who do, and what is the point of it, what is the benefit for the user. Just corrosion resistance or what?

daskrolator
Sep 11, 2001

sup.

BaronVonBigmeat posted:

Soo...can someone recommend an AK to someone who is new to all this?

I'm looking at the Romanian guns at classicarms and aimsurplus (Romanian = WASR?), mainly due to the price of course. But if it's worth it to throw in an extra $100 and get a Yugo M70 or a Lancaster NDS-2 for example, I can do that. Or just wait and get one of the Polish milled guns at classicarms. I'm not in a hurry or anything, I'm just curious what the extra money gets you. Reliability, accuracy, better trigger, more aftermarket parts, etc?

Also, why are the Lancaster 5.45 guns like, $200 cheaper than their 7.62 guns? It says on their website they use stainless barrels, are they the only ones who do, and what is the point of it, what is the benefit for the user. Just corrosion resistance or what?

The price difference between the WASRs and the nicer builds are around $100 as you mentioned. The difference other than cosmetics is a dimpled receiver, a cleaner trigger pull (some wasrs have bad trigger slap) and a warranty with the case of lancaster, all the builds will be reliable.

Remember if you plan to shoot this you'll be spending 20 cents a round on ammo in the best case scenario so feeding it will cost you more than the $100 dollar price difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.

Posting my Yugo underfolder build from back when parts kits were dirt cheap and plentiful. I got the Fleur-de-lis magazine in a batch of mags from a Cheaper-than-Dirt buy. The AK is a screw build on a NoDak Spud receiver. Do people even do screw builds anymore?

Sorry for the poo poo photography.

Building an AK wasn't any cheaper than buying one pre-made, but it sure was fun to do.

«600 »