Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«600 »
B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Hi

Iím still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

It's OK B4, you don't need to chamber flag for the glam shot.

I wish I got a pistol AK before my state banned them.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

What's the best muzzle device for reducing flash and pressure impact on the shooter? I've seen the epsilon recommended, but it's $70.00, it'd be nice if there were something cheaper.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

B4Ctom1 posted:

Hi

Iím still alive.

My local gun store has a couple of the 12.5" versions of those for $780. Reeeeeallly debating picking one up as my first AK. The cheapest place online I saw that actually has them in stock is $720ish, so it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Vim Fuego posted:

What's the best muzzle device for reducing flash and pressure impact on the shooter? I've seen the epsilon recommended, but it's $70.00, it'd be nice if there were something cheaper.

Most you're going to find are going to be in that price range give or take $20.
How much cheaper are you looking?
A 16" barrel isn't going to have a lot or if any pressure impact on the shooter. Do you have an AK pistol? As everything is give and take, a short barrel is really going to push further towards one direction or the other, there's not much of a balance. With a short barrel you're going need a lot more flash suppression but it wont help push any of the blast away from you like a cone booster will. On the other hand the cone booster isnt going to help much with flash but it will push a lot of that blast down range instead of out to the sides.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 7, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

It'd be nice if it's cheaper. If not, I'll wait a bit. The ak is a pistol with a 12 inch barrel. I figured that'd be a bit more blast than the 16".

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Shaocaholica posted:

It's OK B4, you don't need to chamber flag for the glam shot.

Iím a safety nerd. The only mag I had for the shot was loaded.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

boxen posted:

My local gun store has a couple of the 12.5" versions of those for $780. Reeeeeallly debating picking one up as my first AK. The cheapest place online I saw that actually has them in stock is $720ish, so it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal.

I bought at mid $400ís 8 or so years ago.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Vim Fuego posted:

It'd be nice if it's cheaper. If not, I'll wait a bit. The ak is a pistol with a 12 inch barrel. I figured that'd be a bit more blast than the 16".

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/B...p-7-62-p7674675

I have one of these on my 8" Galil Ace. It works really on 5.56. Reduces concussion quite a bit and lowers recoil decently as well. I used to have an epsilon on there and it was painful as hell to shoot, this is significantly less concussion than even my 18" AR with an epsilon on it.

I haven't shot a 7.62x39 with it though, so your results may vary. It's slightly cheaper too if that helps you decide

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

boxen posted:

You should totally get one. I love my Dracos. i dont think they're actually 12.5"

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Vim Fuego posted:

I like the Epsilon I put on my chopped RH10. Granite Ridge Outfitters has them at $58 with code MD15. You can also buy the CAGE device to attach to it to redirect more blast forward. This is nice for shooting indoors or in close proximity to someone you don't want to run off of the range.

https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters....APVG100015A.htm

The definitive arms fighter brake is a real nice option as well at around $40.

https://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4...ghter-Brake.htm

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Final Blog Entry posted:

I like the Epsilon I put on my chopped RH10. Granite Ridge Outfitters has them at $58 with code MD15. You can also buy the CAGE device to attach to it to redirect more blast forward. This is nice for shooting indoors or in close proximity to someone you don't want to run off of the range.

https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters....APVG100015A.htm

The definitive arms fighter brake is a real nice option as well at around $40.

https://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4...ghter-Brake.htm

Who chopped your RH10? Did they remove the barrel or keep it on?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Who chopped your RH10? Did they remove the barrel or keep it on?

Lewman Arms in Lakeland, FL. He pressed the barrel out to do it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Final Blog Entry posted:

Lewman Arms in Lakeland, FL. He pressed the barrel out to do it.

May I ask what the cost was. I'll see if my local smith charges a similar rate. I think I might do that to my DDI with a YHM phantom. It's longer so it should make it look even shorter.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

I think he charged me $160 or so to remove the barrel, cut, crown, thread, pin & weld, and reinstall.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Final Blog Entry posted:

I think he charged me $160 or so to remove the barrel, cut, crown, thread, pin & weld, and reinstall.

I have an RH10. What holds the stock cage brake on mine?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Old gun stores are best gun stores. Wyoming has some of the best. Do these appear to be Norinco 223 Magazines? I picked them up because the price was right and they looked collectible, even though I don't own a Chinese 223 AK.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 8, 2020

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

B4Ctom1 posted:

I have an RH10. What holds the stock cage brake on mine?

I think it's just torqued down on 14x1L thread

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Final Blog Entry posted:

I think it's just torqued down on 14x1L thread

Ok cool. No kind of washer internal or otherwise right?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Just the left handed com bloc strength of will.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Shaocaholica posted:

Just the left handed com bloc strength of will.

Who is this Will you speak of? I imagime that heís a big muscular Romanian guy With a flat top and a weightlifting tank top.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

B4Ctom1 posted:

Old gun stores are best gun stores. Wyoming has some of the best. Do these appear to be Norinco 223 Magazines? I picked them up because the price was right and they looked collectible, even though I don't own a Chinese 223 AK.

I envy you so much right now, I had to trade a chiappa rhino for Norinco 223 mags.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Soupisgood posted:

I envy you so much right now, I had to trade a chiappa rhino for Norinco 223 mags.

Do you still have the rifle?

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

B4Ctom1 posted:

Do you still have the rifle?

Yeah, it's a wonky nhm 91 converted back into an underfolder.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

B4Ctom1 posted:

Who is this Will you speak of? I imagime that heís a big muscular Romanian guy With a flat top and a weightlifting tank top.

This Will is any one of us and all of us so long as we keep a small flathead screwdriver with a pen clip in our front pocket or possibly our sleeve pocket.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

B4Ctom1 posted:

Nice grab, they look great!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

L0cke17 posted:

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/B...p-7-62-p7674675

I have one of these on my 8" Galil Ace. It works really on 5.56. Reduces concussion quite a bit and lowers recoil decently as well. I used to have an epsilon on there and it was painful as hell to shoot, this is significantly less concussion than even my 18" AR with an epsilon on it.

I haven't shot a 7.62x39 with it though, so your results may vary. It's slightly cheaper too if that helps you decide

Nice, I think I'll go with the BRT

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

What's the least you can expect to spend on a traditionally styled AK-47 in 7.62x39 with wood furniture these days? And are prices stable or trending up over time?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What's the least you can expect to spend on a traditionally styled AK-47 in 7.62x39 with wood furniture these days? And are prices stable or trending up over time?

$700-800 for the bare minimum serviceable reliable AK

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

ZebraBlade posted:

$700-800 for the bare minimum serviceable reliable AK

That's a real bummer. At that price I might as well save dollars for a nice new CZ Vz-58. Does that include all the AK-alikes?

I've seen them for cheaper at gun shops on a blue moon, but I guess I should just assume that anything under 600 is likely some problematic import piece of poo poo?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Quote the opposite. Anything that cheap is problematic because it was made in the US. Centuryís in house AKs in particular are notorious for shooting themselves apart in very low round counts.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

PSA AKs are fine tho but make sure you get a current production one and not new old stock.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Shaocaholica posted:

PSA AKs are fine tho but make sure you get a current production one and not new old stock.

Speaking of PSA, what's the general verdict on the AKV? I know when it first came out, there were some problems.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Monolith. posted:

Speaking of PSA, what's the general verdict on the AKV? I know when it first came out, there were some problems.

I just follow what Rob Ski has to say about it on youtube.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Shaocaholica posted:

Except their QC is still poo poo so they let a lot of problems through.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I built my first AK during the quarantine! It's a Romanian PM 90 from a demilled parts kit from midway. Receiver is 80% from AK-builder, barrel from Arms of America. Ran a few dozen rounds through it the other day and it shoots great. It was mostly enjoyable to build but I'm going to need a better drill press or a milling machine. I have since painted the receiver with Krylon black tractor paint, we'll see how it holds up.

Next up is a IMI Galil, also from a parts kit, just waiting on the receiver. It's a 100% receiver from Tortort so it looks like it should be a fairly straightforward build.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

drat, post build pics if you can. Those are both builds I'd like to do, but I'm trying to save up money for a house so my gun budget is basically nil.

I remember there was a "tool crib" thread awhile back, and I know there are FAL tools available for rent, is there anyone with AK build tools for rent on these dead gay forums?

Side note, I've been looking at what it takes to rivet on a side optics rail but I can't find any sort of alignment jig for it, is that just a matter of aligning it with the top rail/barrel and marking the holes, then using a normal AK rivet jig?

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I'll post a list of the tools I used to build it

AK-builder trigger guard rivet jig
https://ak-builder.com/index.php?di...roduct_id=29922

Toth tool barrel install tool
http://www.tothtool.com/AK-Barrel-R...Tool-_p_61.html

Toth tool rivet jaws + Harbor Freight bolt cutters
http://www.tothtool.com/Rivet-Jaws-...tters_p_10.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/24-in...ters-60699.html

Childers layout guide (shows you where to drill the holes)
https://www.childersguns.com/Layout...-Layout-Guide-1

Harbor freight 12 ton press
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-to...ress-33497.html

Clymer headspace gauges (OOS unfortunately)
https://www.primaryarms.com/clymer-...9-mm-gong762x39

Various other tools include: small file set, dremel with various attachments, drill press with GOOD drill bits (I found that cobalt masonry bits work well for heat treated steel), lenths of pipe for populating barrel, punches, hand tools, vise, etc. I'm sure there are various things I'm forgetting.
The really unfortunate thing about building AKs is the tooling required costs more than the drat gun. But to me it's enjoyable and you learn a lot during the process, and you have the tools for future projects. I'd like to upgrade to a good drill press or mini mill in the future. right now I just have a cheap menards drill press and there is too much deflection especially with trying to drill partial holes such as the barrel pin.

I don't have pictures of the process but there are tons online. I used this guys videos as a guide and there were pretty helpful.
Check out the AK build series playlist. I did some things differently like pressing the barrel but the videos give you a general idea of what needs to be done.
https://www.youtube.com/user/pjames215/playlists

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.

College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

May I ask what the cost was. I'll see if my local smith charges a similar rate. I think I might do that to my DDI with a YHM phantom. It's longer so it should make it look even shorter.

upload url image

Good looking rifle! How do you like that FAB magazine? I love mine. Fits the VEPR really well. It's been my #1 since I got it. I just got a US Palm recently. The middle one my "meager magazine collection" photo. It feels comparable in quality but I haven't had a chance to go shooting since I've had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

upload url image

Good looking rifle! How do you like that FAB magazine? I love mine. Fits the VEPR really well. It's been my #1 since I got it. I just got a US Palm recently. The middle one my "meager magazine collection" photo. It feels comparable in quality but I haven't had a chance to go shooting since I've had it.

I donít think the FAB is nearly as good as a magpul but it comes in colors and a window!

«600 »