Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«600 »
Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

upload url image

Good looking rifle! How do you like that FAB magazine? I love mine. Fits the VEPR really well. It's been my #1 since I got it. I just got a US Palm recently. The middle one my "meager magazine collection" photo. It feels comparable in quality but I haven't had a chance to go shooting since I've had it.

Hungarian mag pouch? I have one in non rubberized canvas. Is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.

College Slice

Yeop. SGammo had them for cheap a couple of years ago. I bought a half dozen. Gave a few of them away but saved the nicest ones for myself. They're nice but they smell exactly like you'd expect a cold war era warehouse to smell.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I cranked out another quarantine parts kit build yesterday; IMI Galil from an israeli parts kit, Tortort revceiver (the only one I've been able to find available, but very nice quality) and a 18" barrel from Apex. It went together great, I would even say it's a bit easier to build than a standard AK. Haven't shot it yet but it headspaced ok and cycles by hand which is a good sign. Gas port is slightly oversized by about 7 thousandths but I don't expect it to be an issue. I was thinking I should probably try to clean the wood handguard, but I'm not sure what would be a good way to do it. I'm very happy with how it turned out!

e: went out and shot a few boxes of .223 tula to make sure it will cycle on weaker ammo and some federal 62gr 5.56 and it functioned flawlessly on both. Makes me very happy!

Sex Weirdo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 26, 2020

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

massive noob here. iíve been shooting for about a month and am having a blast with it. i started out with a .380 ez shield but wanted something bigger so i got this m+m m10x.

iíve been eyeing these for a while, and i managed to find one used nearby. being a noob i like that i donít have to do a lot of work to put a light and sights on it. and i just love AKs for the aesthetic

the only complaints i have are the stock and magazine. theyíre fine, but the mag feels a little cheap and iíd prefer the look of wood furniture.

is it possible (or even advisable) to get a good wood (or wood-matching) magazine? same for the stock? any recommendations or does basically anything work?

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

You should just be able to slap a wood stock on there. Mlok wood panels if you want some wood on the foreend. Indignant Arms makes some. Pick up some bakelite mags and either a wood or bakelite pistol grip and you'v got a faux-retro tactical party.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

How is that folder set up? If they removed the tail on the trunion he wonít be able to use normal wood am furniture.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

That's just a Magpul Zhukov so barring something funky it should have a tang and be replaceable.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

That's a sweet looking AK but 1500 is a bit much.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Look look cool as hell- I think we'll need a range report.

It doesn't look like the stock tang is present, seems to be a custom part. I feel like you're SOL on the wood and stuck with a modern demi-AK-SIG-FAL thing. On the plus side, there's nothing stopping you getting a stripped AK somewhere and slapping some red Ironwood furniture on it.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Comedy option: wood hydrodip.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

The M10X isn't an AK, it's its own pattern of long-stroke rifle, like a Galil ACE.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

New Concept Hole posted:

The M10X isn't an AK, it's its own pattern of long-stroke rifle, like a Galil ACE.

galil ace is an ak with extra nubs

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

DkHelmet posted:

It doesn't look like the stock tang is present, seems to be a custom part. I feel like you're SOL on the wood and stuck with a modern demi-AK-SIG-FAL thing. On the plus side, there's nothing stopping you getting a stripped AK somewhere and slapping some red Ironwood furniture on it.

ah dang, whatever it looks dope anyway. thanks for the info! i still have to wait a couple weeks to take it home because our new lolbertarian county sheriff seems like heís just letting all the background checks time out lol

iíve shot it though and itís fun. lighter than i thought it would be (i can hold it fine even with unexercised girl arms) and i do well enough with the holo sights. i donít really know what else to add because the only other rifle iíve shot is a smaller AR-15 and it seems to compare exactly as people say AKs do - hits harder and a bit less accurate

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

DkHelmet posted:

On the plus side, there's nothing stopping you getting a stripped AK somewhere and slapping some red Ironwood furniture on it.

The Romanian M10 DIY from Atlantic would probably fit the bill but they're out of stock right now.

While I'm here, how does a Romanian AKM muzzle nut count for 922r purposes? Is it treated as a muzzle device or a bare muzzle?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Miso Beno posted:

galil ace is an ak with extra nubs

For someone who is new, it's confusing to say, "Galil ace is an ak" when there's no interchangeable parts.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

its a fancy ak with extra nubs and incompatible parts

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

But enough about the SIG 550.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

DkHelmet posted:

Apologies, I can't believe they machined their own hinge for the Zhuhov stock.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

ThinkFear posted:

Apologies, I can't believe they machined their own hinge for the Zhuhov stock.

Yeah, that's really something. I was expecting maybe the yugo version of the zhukov but they really made a new trunnion.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

That rifle has so many non-standard parts that it doesn't surprise me TBH.

I know we have at least one other M10X owner here, maybe he can suggest something.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

New Concept Hole posted:

For someone who is new, it's confusing to say, "Galil ace is an ak" when there's no interchangeable parts.

i mean i'm new and that's really not that confusing. i understand that if i need some replacement parts i might have to dig deeper but that the overall system is based on the same foundation. in software we might call that a fork and to expect incompatibilities

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

glompix posted:

i mean i'm new and that's really not that confusing. i understand that if i need some replacement parts i might have to dig deeper but that the overall system is based on the same foundation. in software we might call that a fork and to expect incompatibilities

That's a good comparison, Galil to AK, then if someone wants to know more point them at the Gun Jesus Galil video.

I was wondering if you could say a FAL is similar to an AK, I'm pretty sure you could say the FAL copies the operating system but not much else.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Does anyone have a recommendation for an affordable prism sight for a SAR-1? I finally sighted mine in after 19 years with an AK sight tool I bought a few months ago. It worked great. I mean, it's an unmodified AK so it's as accurate as that's going to get with iron sights.

I bought a cheap side mount pixel titty rail but as one person showed on Amazon, it's not aligned. They said the solution was to pound on it with a rubber hammer for a while. I took that chance and yep.

Anyway, I have an astigmatism so red dots really suck so once I get it aligned I'd like a prism scope to put on it. Any ideas?

edit: also in the future I'm going to be in the market for a new AK. I know nothing about what's out there these days. I got my Romanian SAR-1 for $375 in 2001. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I want accuracy (I know) and modern furniture. Whatever accessories that help it out. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for since I haven't researched whats out there now. I want it to be fun and also a SHTF gun. I'm accurate with my AR but the AK is just such a great platform. I love it.

Oh, also affordable. I don't want to drop $1,500 on an AK. I'm thinking <$800 if possible. Again I don't know what's available these days though or how much they cost.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 8, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

boxen posted:

That's a good comparison, Galil to AK, then if someone wants to know more point them at the Gun Jesus Galil video.

I was wondering if you could say a FAL is similar to an AK, I'm pretty sure you could say the FAL copies the operating system but not much else.

The FAL uses a radically different bolt. The bolt for the galil and sig rifles really show the am heritage. Theyíre very similar albeit in a very non interchangeable way.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an affordable prism sight for a SAR-1? I finally sighted mine in after 19 years with an AK sight tool I bought a few months ago. It worked great. I mean, it's an unmodified AK so it's as accurate as that's going to get with iron sights.

I bought a cheap side mount pixel titty rail but as one person showed on Amazon, it's not aligned. They said the solution was to pound on it with a rubber hammer for a while. I took that chance and yep.

Anyway, I have an astigmatism so red dots really suck so once I get it aligned I'd like a prism scope to put on it. Any ideas?

Primary Arms or Burris is a pretty good bet on a cheap prism scope. PA looks to be running low on them at present as they come out with a new model generation. The only downside is they tend to be AR mount height so with the side mount pixel titty rail it's going to end up a bit on the high side and you might want a cheek riser. While pricier, you could get something like an RS Regulate side-mount and appropriate upper which should sit it lower.

Another path to consider could be a low-power variable optic like a 1-4x.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Man why do these have to be so expensive?
https://aimsurplus.com/surplus-roma...-30rd-magazines

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Scarcity compared to steel 7.62x39 mags, I assume. Romania was one of the only countries to issue steel mags for 5.45 rifles and relatively few of those rifles/mags were available here until recently.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Somebody Awful posted:

But enough about the SIG 550.

Ding ding ding

Somebody Awful posted:

That rifle has so many non-standard parts that it doesn't surprise me TBH.

I know we have at least one other M10X owner here, maybe he can suggest something.

That would be me. The M10X is the worst if you want to change out anything or if you want it to look like an AK.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

I have one of these that came with my AK, and it's complete trash, wobbles around in the magwell and can cause feed issues if it's at any sort of slight angle.

Of course I bought my CA m70ab2 used at a gun show so it probably had the magwell Dremeled out for Magpul mags since they fit snug and don't wobble at all.

Edit NVM I thought that was a normal AK 7.62x39 mag

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

"AKs are just fancy Garands" is the correct lineage.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

New Concept Hole posted:

"AKs are just fancy trash Garands" is the correct lineage.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

All Garands are beautiful. Even the Russian ones.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Even the Japanese ones?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Even the M14 and the M1A.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

I draw the line there.

BM59 gets a pass though.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Even the M14 and the M1A.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Mistakes into miracles. Without that hunk of junk, Ruger wouldn't have made the Mini.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Mistakes into miracles. Without that hunk of junk, Ruger wouldn't have made the Mini.

as the owner of a mini, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

The call is coming from inside the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

My cheap mount and scope rig on my SAR-1. The scope just got delivered from Amazon 15 minutes ago. I already scuffed up the mount by trying to bend it into place but I got an inexpensive Monstrum S330P 3X Prism Scope that is actually highly recommended in "Prism Scopes for 2020!!!" lists. I like it though. It's heavy but all prism scopes are. I'd love a red dot but my astigmatism makes it so annoying. I already have one of these scopes on my AR but I wasn't able to sight it in because my riser mount fell off and I didn't bring the tool to tighten it. I like the reticle though.

I'm wanting to get into the research phase of getting a new AK. I'm looking at something in the $800ish range and I think the WASR 10 fits the bill. I want a modern AK with nice new furniture and reasonably accurate. I suppose I could just upgrade my SAR-1 but I kind of want to keep it original like the old commie style. And then get a new upgraded one for my modern rifle.

Anyone have any advice on what to get? I know nothing of AKs now so anything would be appreciated. I also see that WASRs are sold out everywhere so that kinda sucks.

edit: oh, anyone have any suggestions for a cheek riser? I've never needed one before but it'd be nice to get my cheek up an inch or so to get into better position for this optic.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 13, 2020

«600 »