Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«600 »
The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

A Tourbon riser will work, it fits a little loosely around the ak stock and 7.62x39 is a little too small to stuff in the bullet holders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

What kind of (decent) furniture options exist for an M92? Is it just the handguards that are unique, or must the pistol grip be non-standard as well?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

RS says the upper mount I've been waiting to come back in stock is shipping to vendors this week

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Final Blog Entry posted:

RS says the upper mount I've been waiting to come back in stock is shipping to vendors this week

Did you buy one already on backorder? Which one did you need I have a few extras I'm probably not going to use as I have more mounts than AKs.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Need the AKML for micro-style bases

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Final Blog Entry posted:

Need the AKML for micro-style bases

I have one of these:

The whole kit tho. Lower and upper mount for micro style.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I have one of these:

The whole kit tho. Lower and upper mount for micro style.

Yup that's the upper I need, already bought the lower since I needed the RH10 specific and it was in stock at the time. If you have any interest in parting out the upper shoot me an email at my username at gmail. No big deal otherwise since I should be able to just order one from PA or Atlantic pretty soon.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Yeah I kinda want to get rid of it as a set. Good luck finding yours!

I personally like the gen1 RS micro.

There's also these MI thicc boi ones:

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 14, 2020

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

That looks stellar. Dyed FDE furniture?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Carbohydrates posted:

That looks stellar. Dyed FDE furniture?

Yep dyed. The mag was sand not FDE so the dye for that was slightly different to match. Magpul never made the AK mags in FDE.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Carbohydrates posted:

What kind of (decent) furniture options exist for an M92? Is it just the handguards that are unique, or must the pistol grip be non-standard as well?

AFAIK the M92 uses AK grips. For the handguards, there's not as many options as a normal AK, but most US brands that make AK handguards make Zastava handguards as well. SLR rifleworks makes some good handguards for just about every AK config including Zastava's Yugo/Serbian patterns. Besides SLR, TDI Arms' handguards are well-liked and also come in M92 style, and I haven't heard anything bad about Midwest Industries or Manticore Arms' M92 handguards.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm wanting to get into the research phase of getting a new AK. I'm looking at something in the $800ish range and I think the WASR 10 fits the bill. I want a modern AK with nice new furniture and reasonably accurate. I suppose I could just upgrade my SAR-1 but I kind of want to keep it original like the old commie style. And then get a new upgraded one for my modern rifle.

Anyone have any advice on what to get? I know nothing of AKs now so anything would be appreciated. I also see that WASRs are sold out everywhere so that kinda sucks.

Anyone?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just don't buy anything American made. Get something made in a factory where the workers are partially paid in vodka. WASR-10s are solid and that would be my choice in that price range.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Get a wasr 10 and put the Zhukov handguard and stock on it, and either a rail that replaces the rear sight or an ultimak gas tube rail

If you wanna go all the way with modernizing you can modify the dust cover and bcg to give you a left-side charging handle, and an upgraded safety

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Internet Wizard posted:

Get a wasr 10 and put the Zhukov handguard and stock on it, and either a rail that replaces the rear sight or an ultimak gas tube rail

If you wanna go all the way with modernizing you can modify the dust cover and bcg to give you a left-side charging handle, and an upgraded safety

This is the way. A left side charging handle and Krebs safety makes a huge improvement in the functional controls.

Likewise the Zhukov handguard lets you really reach out and control the recoil and muzzle movement compared to the standard short AK handguard.

The Rat posted:

Got them glam shots I was talkin bout

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Internet Wizard posted:

Ooooooo I like all of this.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah I kinda want to get rid of it as a set. Good luck finding yours!

Brownells won the back in stock race so I've got one on order with them

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

Just ordered a Zastava ZPAPM70 and now need to catch up on 599 pages in this thread. 🤘🏼

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You're in for a treat when you get to the part where the blind guy starts trying to post about what optics are the best for an AK

the rest of Mishaco's posts are pretty good though

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

Oh ... that’s got me intrigued now.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Allow me to interject. I have been using electronic cigarettes for a few months now. You see, I am an Expert

Speaking of zastava, I'm looking to sbr an m92 and l was gonna go with the stormwerkz folding mechanism, but after digging around online I saw some people complaining about it wearing out and pushing the ace & cnc warrior folding mechanisms instead. Anyone got input on these?

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

the cnc warrior looks like a carbobn copy of the ace and cnc warrior design. any shortcomings it has they will have too.

edit: im kind of in love with just welding on a picatinny rail and throwing a sig brace at my shorty aks now.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Mondian posted:

Speaking of zastava, I'm looking to sbr an m92 and l was gonna go with the stormwerkz folding mechanism, but after digging around online I saw some people complaining about it wearing out and pushing the ace & cnc warrior folding mechanisms instead. Anyone got input on these?

Go the expensive route and have a folding trunnion installed:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Allow me to interject. I have been using electronic cigarettes for a few months now. You see, I am an Expert

Yeah I considered that, but, and I'm guessing I'll get poo poo in here for it, I want a right side folder. Was thinking about a Zhukov-S, but I can't find one near me to play around with so I don't really wanna go through with the trunnion swap only to find out I don't actually like it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Why right side instead of left? You're gong to block your safety

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

The usual reasons that come up during left/right folding debates, plus I don't care about historicity on this. The safety thing is the only downside for me, but the times I'd want to shoot with the stock folded and didn't have an extra few seconds to fiddle with the safety are basically nil so I'm fine with it.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

I have one of those style (a CNC Warrior making them for DPH Arms, IIRC) on my Draco. Takes a little grease and wearing in to smooth out being able to pull it from folded to extended, but otherwise has been good. There's also some push-button designs if you want to simplify the motion to fold, although they aren't ramped to let you just pull to unfold.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

If I recall, the reason Magpul said they went with a right-side fold was to not interfere with side-mount rails

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Yeah that's the one downside to having a left side folder, most won't clear a side mounted optic. It's why I went with a TWS bitty mount for my AK

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Yeah that's the one downside to having a left side folder, most won't clear a side mounted optic. It's why I went with a TWS bitty mount for my AK

Your folding stock is wrapped in meat.

Just letting you know.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Was a side folder day at the range today.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Is the Magpul side folder not great? I'd like to SBR my Draco at some point, and swap the trunnion (it came with a thread-in buffer tube adapter, but I really hate the look of those), and the Magpul one seemed like it should be good (adjustable LOP, adjustable cheek rest, reputable company) but I've heard they're not great.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The Magpul Zhukov is probably the best AK stock available.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

boxen posted:

Is the Magpul side folder not great? I'd like to SBR my Draco at some point, and swap the trunnion (it came with a thread-in buffer tube adapter, but I really hate the look of those), and the Magpul one seemed like it should be good (adjustable LOP, adjustable cheek rest, reputable company) but I've heard they're not great.

I really like mine, I only ever fold it to put in my backpack when I go back country camping but when deployed it feels like a fixed stock.

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

Why are Bosnian “two rib” mags so expensive? Afraid the answer involves cosplaying genocide... is there a functional reason?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Just a guess, but they probably weren't imported in large numbers while being visually distinct.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Internet Wizard posted:

The Magpul Zhukov is probably the best AK stock available.

As an owner of multiple Zhukovs I don’t know about that. It’s not the strongest in the lockup and the LOP adjustment is really difficult to actuate and lock back in compared to other more mature adjustable stocks. And on a few of mine the whole rear section can accidentally slide off if you’re not babying when adjusting. I don’t hate it but it’s not perfect. Maybe they’ve address some of these issues in the last 2 years?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Mine is launch production and I've never had any of those problems

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Is that a 40 rnd bakelite mag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Applesnots posted:

Is that a 40 rnd bakelite mag?

Yeah it is

«600 »