Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«600 »
Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm interested in getting a Vietnam era replica (wood furniture) AK, but it seems most of the online stores are sold out, am I missing any places? Is there a specific make/model I should be searching for? My budget is around 1k.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Depends on what you mean by Vietnam era replica and how authentic you want to get. The closest you can get to actual Vietnamese issue without getting into $$$ full auto territory is probably going to be a 1980s Norinco or PolyTech Type 56-S with the folding bayonet or underfolder stock. These are still around, but not likely to show up in your price range.

If you'll settle for something that looks like a 1960s Soviet AKM, the basic Romanian WASR-10 will get you pretty close and be well within your budget. You may have to replace the wood if it's a newer one, because the furniture on them is reportedly pretty crap now, but surplus AKM stocks and handguards aren't hard to find. If you're looking at a WASR, you'll want to make sure it doesn't have any wonky rivets or severe canting on the front sight block. You might also be able to find a competitive price on a ban-era SAR-1 from the same factory, if you can live without a threaded muzzle or bayonet lug.

There are lots of other options but that's where I'd start if I were you. Don't buy any AKs advertised as being 100% made in the US, because they tend to range from "maybe okay but made by lovely companies" to "you may be killed or injured if you shoot it enough for the lovely cast parts to fail" and we don't want that to happen. If anything specific catches your eye, you can always post it here for a second opinion.

«600 »