Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Been thinking about trying the Texas weapon systems dog leg cover for my new zpap m92. Anyone have experience with them? Videos looked promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I say this with love, and as a guy with OCD - You seem to be putting a lot of sweat into getting everything absolutely perfect. Itís an AK. Itís OK to try things out and adjust as you go. Gun ownership is a learning process. :gestures at drawer full of unused holsters:

I get irrationally frustrated and aggravated about a lot of things. Especially when dealing with money.

Rob Ski is such a fantastic dude he agreed to accept a return on my opened and once used RS lower mount for non-Yugo guns.

I'm still going to try to sell it on Reddit so Rob can keep my money because it's not his fault I bought the wrong mount.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Lemme get that upper mount then if it's akml, lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

lite_sleepr posted:

I get irrationally frustrated and aggravated about a lot of things. Especially when dealing with money.

Rob Ski is such a fantastic dude he agreed to accept a return on my opened and once used RS lower mount for non-Yugo guns.

I'm still going to try to sell it on Reddit so Rob can keep my money because it's not his fault I bought the wrong mount.

Ebay doesn't have anything against certain not scary gun parts. Hop into the Ebay thread and I'll help you get it listed. The allowed gun stuff (like holsters and low cap mags) has good resale on there.

On knowing when to step away from a project, I've always deferred to Jackson Pollock's definition when he is finished with something -

Interviewer - "How do you know when you've finished a painting?"

Pollock - "How do you know when you've finished making love?"

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

I'm returning one of the lower mounts to brownells, and I found a buyer on Reddit for the second one. I make about 40 bucks and rob ski gets to keep his money. Win win.

Back ordered the correct lower mount, so who knows when that will get in, but in the mean time I can practice with the irons.

Can't much use the jackson pollock advice

BubbaGrace posted:

Lemme get that upper mount then if it's akml, lol

Keeping it!

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Eh, I gave it a shot. Honestly I like the master mount picitanny I have on mine right now. Sure it's a little bulkier than an RS, but it's nice to not have to play upper mount lottery. I own a red dot and a 3X so even if I do find an AKML that doesn't help me at all with any other optics.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

RS should make a flip to side upper mount thatís coaxial with their dot mounts.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

BubbaGrace posted:

Eh, I gave it a shot. Honestly I like the master mount picitanny I have on mine right now. Sure it's a little bulkier than an RS, but it's nice to not have to play upper mount lottery. I own a red dot and a 3X so even if I do find an AKML that doesn't help me at all with any other optics.

UltiMak allows me to put whatever I want as close to the bore as possible.

Provided that whatever doesn't have an enormous QD lever.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

AKML are shipping out to various retailers and should be in stock very soon. So if you are one of the people who is waiting for one, be sure to be on the look out before they are gone in no time.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

So are AK 307Ms. They're sending a lot to Rob Ski and his site this week.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 11, 2021

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Look on the bright side you found out before missing out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lol aim surplus had the AKML for a hot minute.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol aim surplus had the AKML for a hot minute.

It was literally a minute. I tried to buy one as soon as I got the email. It was gone before I could even finish checking out.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

How do I get a 50yds zero with this Romeo5? Will that 8.5x11'' paper target I linked early provide a zero worth a poo poo?

Also RS Regulate is kinda lovely for keeping their supply so low.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Zeroing is the same process no matter what optic or target you use. The only thing that matters is round, barrel length, and distance.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

lite_sleepr posted:

How do I get a 50yds zero with this Romeo5? Will that 8.5x11'' paper target I linked early provide a zero worth a poo poo?

I was able to grab an AKML from one of the drops. 3rd times the charm I guess. From reading various other places there is a lot of scalping going on.

In other news, I received my Primary Arms ACSS Prism Scope yesterday. I haven't had a chance yet to take it out and get it zero'd in, but from just looking it seems to be a pretty quality optic. I also like that you can use it with an AKOG mount so it fits nice and low against the dust cover. I guess I'll use my master mount rail for the 3X and keep my RDS on the RS Regulate. I really do like how the Master Mount top rail has both picitanny and the center channel/mount holes for akog with no extra attachments.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Which drop? I only saw the aim surplus one.

Also if you need RS acog mount PM me.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

It's an AK, with the standard 16" barrel, 7.62x39, and I guess a 100 yard zero? Can't imagine shooting any further than that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

lite_sleepr posted:

It's an AK, with the standard 16" barrel, 7.62x39, and I guess a 100 yard zero? Can't imagine shooting any further than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqpBpXfyYOk

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 13, 2021

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Which drop? I only saw the aim surplus one.

Also if you need RS acog mount PM me.

Khyber customs. So far they have been released and already sold out at AIM, Brownells, AK Operators Union and Khyber customs. I think there are a few more stores who will be releasing them soon. Surely they will be gone in minutes just like the rest of them. I can't imagine RS AKOG mount would do me any good since my lower is the forward biased, AK-301. It would probably have the optic too far towards the rear sight block.

lite_sleepr posted:

The Prism is only 3x magnification. It's definitely possible to hit farther than 100 yards. The effective range is with in 300 to 400 yards. Obviously we aren't talking about SUB 1 Moa or anything. I've seen Rob Ski hit at 600. I'm not him though, let's be honest.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I have the rear biased lower mount as well

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

BubbaGrace posted:

Khyber customs. So far they have been released and already sold out at AIM, Brownells, AK Operators Union and Khyber customs. I think there are a few more stores who will be releasing them soon. Surely they will be gone in minutes just like the rest of them. I can't imagine RS AKOG mount would do me any good since my lower is the forward biased, AK-301. It would probably have the optic too far towards the rear sight block.

The Prism is only 3x magnification. It's definitely possible to hit farther than 100 yards. The effective range is with in 300 to 400 yards. Obviously we aren't talking about SUB 1 Moa or anything. I've seen Rob Ski hit at 600. I'm not him though, let's be honest.

No no, I was answering internet wizard

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

lite_sleepr posted:

No no, I was answering internet wizard

Oh... whoops. lol

Shaocaholica posted:

I have the rear biased lower mount as well

PM sent

BubbaGrace fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 13, 2021

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

lite_sleepr posted:

They're a small company that I'm sure is keeping up with demand across their product lines as best they can. Cut them some slack.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

Iím confused. Put target at 50 yards and adjust red dot until you are hitting the center?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

BubbaGrace posted:

In other news, I received my Primary Arms ACSS Prism Scope yesterday. I haven't had a chance yet to take it out and get it zero'd in, but from just looking it seems to be a pretty quality optic. I also like that you can use it with an AKOG mount so it fits nice and low against the dust cover. I guess I'll use my master mount rail for the 3X and keep my RDS on the RS Regulate. I really do like how the Master Mount top rail has both picitanny and the center channel/mount holes for akog with no extra attachments.
Why isn't the Master Mount as in demand as the RS Regulate?

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

lite_sleepr posted:

Most red dots turrets move in 1/2 (.5) MOA increments. But you should check your instructions to be sure. For .5 MOA it takes 2 clicks to move 1 inch on paper at 100y. For 50y it would be .25 or a 1/4 MOA so you would need 4 clicks to move 1 inch on paper. For example if you're low 1 inch and right 2 inches at 50y, you would turn 4 clicks up and 8 clicks left.

Draw a 2" circle or square on your standard piece of printer paper and fill it in with black magic marker for contrast, and use that for your point of aim. Shoot 5 shots, inspect your group and adjust accordingly.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 13, 2021

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

It's not very well known for one. Not many know they make anything other than the quick detach side mount that uses bolts through the trigger pin holes. I'm sure part of it is fanboyism for RS stuff. People say it's the best, so others want it too. That being said it, MM is a little bulkier where it attaches to quick detach on the side than the RS mounts are. For some reason if you want a non-RS mount, everyone seems to recommend Midwest Industries. MW mounts are even bulkier and have fewer points of adjustment. I don't get it personally, as I love the Master Mount rail.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Midwest is fine if you donít need the front/back adjust. IMO the RS ones look too busy except the forward bias 301.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Steeltalon posted:

Most red dots turrets move in 1/2 (.5) MOA increments. But you should check your instructions to be sure. For .5 MOA it takes 2 clicks to move 1 inch on paper at 100y. For 50y it would be .25 or a 1/4 MOA so you would need 4 clicks to move 1 inch on paper. For example if you're low 1 inch and right 2 inches at 50y, you would turn 4 clicks up and 8 clicks left.

Draw a 2" circle or square on your standard piece of printer paper and fill it in with black magic marker for contrast, and use that for your point of aim. Shoot 5 shots, inspect your group and adjust accordingly.

The adjustments are the same minute of angle regardless of distance, .5 moa at 50 yards is 1/4" but your clicks per change is correct. Angular displacement doesn't change with range, just the distance the change affects

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The adjustments are the same minute of angle regardless of distance, .5 moa at 50 yards is 1/4" but your clicks per change is correct. Angular displacement doesn't change with range, just the distance the change affects

oh. Yup. I should have said 1/4 increments, not moa.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Did some horse trading and got 2x AKML at retail price.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Welp turns out Primary Arms just updated their stock and seemingly have an unlimited supply of AKMLs.

e: welp that was fast. 2 hours in the middle of the night. I would have missed it if I weren't up working on dumb poo poo. My guess they had 20-30 units.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 16, 2021

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

I got the email from primary arms at 3:32 this morning telling me that the AKML is in stock. I checked my email at 8:00 this morning and they were all gone.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Where the heck are all these mounts going? Is it short supply and high demand? I figured RS was a larger shop but maybe I figured wrong.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

See 2020 TP shortages. Same concept.

Mechworrier
Jul 21, 2003

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

knuthgrush posted:

Where the heck are all these mounts going? Is it short supply and high demand? I figured RS was a larger shop but maybe I figured wrong.

this anecdote is a few years old but when I had a mount of theirs crack (probably because I massively overtightened it), the guy who responded to my CS email was the president of the company, at least per his signature. If they're not a one man shop they're probably close to it, at least they were at the time.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Shaocaholica posted:

See 2020 TP shortages. Same concept.

Mechworrier posted:

this anecdote is a few years old but when I had a mount of theirs crack (probably because I massively overtightened it), the guy who responded to my CS email was the president of the company, at least per his signature. If they're not a one man shop they're probably close to it, at least they were at the time.

By our powers combined!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shortage plus general panic causes people who would otherwise not want one to want one. Then the people who wanted one anyway now want 2+ just to be safe. Then scalpers show up and drive up the panic when people see scalped ones listed/sold for ridiculous amounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Plus there's a LOT of new rifle owners out there. I imagine that manufacturing was also probably hit by Covid related shut downs, shipping delays for components etc. I doubt they machine every little part out of bar stock themselves and if their supplier for nuts or threaded whatevers etc got backed up, that can gently caress with production.