Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

nudejedi posted:

Got one of the coveted/contentious Zastava scope mounts, only to fine out I don't have the proper mounting for them on my century arms Yugo, lol. Anybody know if the TWS dogleg rail is any good? Haven't found any mountains of negative reviews or anything.

What's the deal with those? I was kind of eyeballing one eventually for the zpap but hadn't heard much about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

knuthgrush posted:

That looks like it might encourage rust?

IMustard has acetic acid from the vinegar. Usually acid is not good for metal

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

For some reason this reminds me of MATTV2099

I miss that dude

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Yes first ingredient on the mustard label is distilled vinegar, second is water.

When I strip bluing to Nitre Blue guns I use 50/50 vinegar and water.

So the mustard is just stripping the finish off and what's underneath is flash rust from what I can see. Not the smartest idea it's going to keep rusting.

Better to just use paint to get tigerstripes and leave the finish intact underneath.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Would dropping this here be uncivilized? And yeah, I was on the original list.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

TheAsterite posted:

Would dropping this here be uncivilized? And yeah, I was on the original list.

Nope, post away!

How does it shoot? Any deal on the proper muzzle device? I was also on the original list, but I thought everything turned out bullshit.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

DkHelmet posted:

Nope, post away!

How does it shoot? Any deal on the proper muzzle device? I was also on the original list, but I thought everything turned out bullshit.

I just picked it up today, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I've seen robski have good luck with s&b 174gr match, so I have 2 boxes of that coming. Also some 148gr ball. From what I've seen it doesnt like the 182gr stuff.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Where are you following the info? Would it be a faux pas to post you have one on AKF?

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Where are you following the info? Would it be a faux pas to post you have one on AKF?

On AKForum? Probably since they banned the guy making the effort to work with the list and CC. On AKFiles robski and a couple others were posting theirs.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Beet Wagon posted:

What's the deal with those? I was kind of eyeballing one eventually for the zpap but hadn't heard much about them.

From what I've seen people think they're cheap aluminum garbage that they're overcharging for, cause people found what the claim is the exact same rail for half the price without the branding from China. Feels solid enough to me.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

TheAsterite posted:

On AKForum? Probably since they banned the guy making the effort to work with the list and CC. On AKFiles robski and a couple others were posting theirs.

Do you know how many have been sold? All of them?

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Do you know how many have been sold? All of them?

Yeah, they're all accounted for. Unfortunately if you didn't reach out to CC or Flandre when everything went down no one else was going to contact you.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So how many is that? 10 or 50?

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

So how many is that? 10 or 50?

50 came last month, another 50 are on the way. They're either reserved by people on the list that reached out, or by CC's own sales.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

What are they actually selling them for after all the auction drama and alleged pricing that was originally floating around?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

nudejedi posted:

From what I've seen people think they're cheap aluminum garbage that they're overcharging for, cause people found what the claim is the exact same rail for half the price without the branding from China. Feels solid enough to me.

Oh thatís not too bad. I hadnít really been paying attention and figured most of the fighting was about whether it would stack up to the Midwest Industries mounts. Probably gonna try and snake one up eventually. I donít want to run afoul of any forums rules but if you have issues with returns and wanna offload it let me know and we can go offsite.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Final Blog Entry posted:

What are they actually selling them for after all the auction drama and alleged pricing that was originally floating around?

People on the list and dealer's price was 6800, CC's normal customers 7500. F…G sold them to trident for 4800 not including shipping/tax/etc.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Are you keeping yours as is? Converting to proper SVD? Converting to modern space SVD?

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Are you keeping yours as is? Converting to proper SVD? Converting to modern space SVD?

For now keeping it as is. I'm also on the Sig 550 pre-order group for the May delivery and not gonna have free funds for upgrading for a little while.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Do the different AK mags have different heights from the lug to the top of the feed lips? I'm having trouble with a very bad idea (that has been fun up to this point). I built a KS-47 in 300bo and can't get the 5.56 ak mags (promag) to lock in with the upper on. It appears to be too tall. The bolt also gets stuck on the mag, so it's way too tall.

I assume 47 mags won't hold the smaller diameter cases in very well, and 74 mags probably won't either. I'm kinda at a deadend here. Maybe Galil mags?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Do the different AK mags have different heights from the lug to the top of the feed lips? I'm having trouble with a very bad idea (that has been fun up to this point). I built a KS-47 in 300bo and can't get the 5.56 ak mags (promag) to lock in with the upper on. It appears to be too tall. The bolt also gets stuck on the mag, so it's way too tall.

I assume 47 mags won't hold the smaller diameter cases in very well, and 74 mags probably won't either. I'm kinda at a deadend here. Maybe Galil mags?

Try other mags first. Promags are garbage.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

14.x in barrel.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Every time you post that furniture Iím impressed by how well that dye job came out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

15% of the pop is just photoshop.

Imma do a KP-15 in that color

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Have a few more percent

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Thanks for convincing me that I need to finally rip the lovely plastic stock off my vepr and throw on a magpul stock. That looks real good.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Veprs donít take Magpul handguards FYI. I had to do some extensive modifications to get mine to fit. I sold most of my modified Magpul Zhukov handguard kits but I still have some extra parts left if youíre interested.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I wish AKs were still priced like AKs. My GP1975 was sold to get me out of Kansas, but God drat to I regret letting that go. I paid $450 for it in 2009.

Rifles might just be ornamental dust collectors for me, but my collection has an AK shaped hole in it.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Shaocaholica posted:

14.x in barrel.

Beautiful piece!

What is the dye job that Internet Wizard mentioned and what's the dingus bolted to the trigger guard covering the mag release?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Ice Fist posted:

Thanks for convincing me that I need to finally rip the lovely plastic stock off my vepr and throw on a magpul stock. That looks real good.

The Zhukov is pretty rad, too. I've enjoyed both of their AK stocks.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

knuthgrush posted:

Beautiful piece!

What is the dye job that Internet Wizard mentioned and what's the dingus bolted to the trigger guard covering the mag release?

Bakelite orange-ish. It was developed by echo93 and offered as a service but now that service is gone.

Dingus is for CA compliance.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Shaocaholica posted:

Dingus is for CA compliance.

Oh geeze... I don't want to start any political anything here. I'm just terribly ignorant of the law out there. What is its intended functionality (or what did the law expect it to do?) and what does it actually do?

Feel free to not answer if that's a hot issue.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

It prevents me from removing the magazine without sticking a tool up in there. So the magazine is considered fixed and not Ďremovableí. They have since changed the law to not allow this kind of device as it was seen as a loophole but I get to keep mine through grandfathering.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 23, 2021

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

14.x in barrel.

That is a very handsome rifle.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

They let you have suppressors in california?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lightbulb Out posted:

They let you have suppressors in california?

Nope!

https://www.surefire.com/products/suppressors-division/training-devices/suppressor-trainer/

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I just bought a much cheaper version of a similar muzzle device/redirect sleeve because I couldn't bring myself to pay for the thread adaptor, SF Muzzle device, and SF Warden.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Again not trying to dredge up politics but the anti-suppressor stuff just makes me ... especially after having fired an AKS-74 with a muzzle brake mostly indoors. It seems like they would increase safety to me and they're not so quiet that you could stealth murder someone and teleport away from LEOs.

Anyhow, beautiful rifle.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

knuthgrush posted:

Again not trying to dredge up politics but the anti-suppressor stuff just makes me ... especially after having fired an AKS-74 with a muzzle brake mostly indoors. It seems like they would increase safety to me and they're not so quiet that you could stealth murder someone and teleport away from LEOs.

Anyhow, beautiful rifle.

Nah, you good.

Silencers in many other countries are viewed as safety equipment for that exact reason. I recall a Euro Goon (? Somewhere not North America) saying they were required where he lives.

They are only regulated because of the fear mongering during the Prohibition/Great Depression/Gangster days. The government wanted to ban or regulate everything but long rifles, but ended up backing down some, leading to the NFA and regulations on SBR, SBS, and silencers among other niche categories.

Maxim marketed the first suppressor as a safety device. I think they should be sold as regular guns, but I don't make the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Or straight up deregulated