Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Monkey paw wish would have suppressors deregulated, but everything else regulated that much harder. Alternatively, the import bans blocking all the interesting AKs/Norincos/foreign guns is repealed, but something just as hideous is implemented domestically.

Every wish fulfillment is a monkey paw wish due to how politics work, thanks a lot for nothing NRA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Anyone still need a RS AKML upper mount ?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Anyone have one of these? Are they well made? I'm unsure what I'd put in one but they look neat:

https://rifledynamics.com/ak-triangle-stock-pouch/

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

knuthgrush posted:

Anyone have one of these? Are they well made? I'm unsure what I'd put in one but they look neat:

https://rifledynamics.com/ak-triangle-stock-pouch/

Iím pissed I missed the Hawaiian print run of these.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

The adhesive velcro seems like a terrible idea to me. Seems it could have been developed without such nonsense.

Even if it had a little bit of back and forth movement I think it'd be a better idea to just use velcro straps or maybe nylon clips. To reduce movement, they could have put some sort of rubberized or grippy surface under the straps.

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

My 68 Izzy build is almost ready for pick up

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Neat. Were all 68 kits unissued? Where they come from?

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

Got it from RGuns... unsure of the history

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

How critical is the alignment of an AK FCG? Trying to see if I can salvage a receiver where the trigger, hammer and selector holes are correct relative to each other, but all drilled slightly further forward than spec. The FCG parts fit and function properly and it looks like the hammer can reach the firing pin, but the receiver hasn't been riveted into a complete rifle yet so I can't test it thoroughly.

I hadn't planned on doing this but the replacement for said receiver just arrived and the back half of it is badly pinched.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

How much is it off?

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

So I've been thinking about getting a Zastava ZPAPM70, it'd been highly recommended to me. Anybody have any experience with one?

Also I shot a full auto AK recently, and that was too much for me lol No clue how people have a chance in hell hitting anything like that

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

They donít

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

Random question, but Iíve read conflicting info on of the railed dust cover of vepr 12s actually hold zero. I donít have an optic on mine yet but am trying to figure out what to do. Anyone have any experience with it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Morshu posted:

Random question, but Iíve read conflicting info on of the railed dust cover of vepr 12s actually hold zero. I donít have an optic on mine yet but am trying to figure out what to do. Anyone have any experience with it?

Which model? Railed covers have always been pretty bad for holding zero unless its got a bunch of other features to help it which usually also makes removing it a pain.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Which model? Railed covers have always been pretty bad for holding zero unless its got a bunch of other features to help it which usually also makes removing it a pain.

Just a standard folding stock model vepr 12. They come from the factory with a krink-style hinged dust cover with a pic rail on it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Oh factory might be fine for 12G. Donít quote me I thought you were talking about rifle cartridge vepr.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Shaocaholica posted:

How much is it off?

Can't find the calipers right now, but I got a picture.

Backstory recap: I got a Bulgarian AK-74 parts kit with a NOS Bulgarian barrel back when those were cheap and plentiful, and never got around to doing anything with it. I was on the verge of sending it out for a professional build when I lucked into most of a set of build tools. So naturally I decided to be too clever for my own good and ordered a Romanian underfolder kit with a headspaced and populated US barrel from AOA, plus a pair of 80% receiver blanks from Childers.

Romanian on top, Bulgarian on bottom. The Romanian blank was marked and drilled using a Childers layout guide and transfer punch, the Bulgarian using measurements from a blueprint. I hosed up the Bulgarian by rushing (the workshop heater ran out of propane and it was something like ten degrees outside) and assuming the indexing edges on the blueprint and the receiver blank were consistent with one another and more accurate than the layout guide. The actual offsets and measurements were otherwise correct, and the FCG holes are properly spaced relative to each other despite being misaligned relative to the whole.

At the time I decided to just write it off as a lesson learned the hard way, coughed up for a proper AK FCG drilling jig like I should have done in the first place, and ordered a set of replacement blanks, this time from Recreator. The Recreator receivers showed up over the weekend but only added to my problems:

The Recreator Bulgarian blank is pinched inward from the back end almost up to the center support. Both blanks are also slightly pinched at the front. I could probably pry apart the back far enough to wedge the rear trunnion in there, but I have doubts about how well that would work when it comes to drilling the FCG and rivet holes, ensuring proper clearance on the BCG rails, etc.

Ordinarily I'd just return the bad blank, wait the 3+ months for a new one (wait time was about equal for both brands) and try to do it right this time. But now 80% receivers are on the chopping block on top of availability being hosed in general, so I'm wondering if I can save the Childers one just in case. As I mentioned before, the Bulgarian FCG functions when dry fired with the front trunnion plus bolt group clamped in place (as does the Romanian) but that doesn't guarantee it'll work with live ammo.

As Deviant Ollam put it, I am an idiot and so can you.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Morshu posted:

Random question, but I’ve read conflicting info on of the railed dust cover of vepr 12s actually hold zero. I don’t have an optic on mine yet but am trying to figure out what to do. Anyone have any experience with it?

My vepr 12 dust cover rail did not hold zero at all. Off by like 2 feet at 25 yards with slugs when I popped it open, cleaned it, then put it back

Sample size of 1 though

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

My vepr 12 dust cover rail did not hold zero at all. Off by like 2 feet at 25 yards with slugs when I popped it open, cleaned it, then put it back

Sample size of 1 though

Got it, did you just ditch the optic on it or use another mounting method?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Morshu posted:

Got it, did you just ditch the optic on it or use another mounting method?

I sold it before I found a good optics mount I liked.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Somebody Awful posted:

Can't find the calipers right now, but I got a picture.

Backstory recap: I got a Bulgarian AK-74 parts kit with a NOS Bulgarian barrel back when those were cheap and plentiful, and never got around to doing anything with it. I was on the verge of sending it out for a professional build when I lucked into most of a set of build tools. So naturally I decided to be too clever for my own good and ordered a Romanian underfolder kit with a headspaced and populated US barrel from AOA, plus a pair of 80% receiver blanks from Childers.

Romanian on top, Bulgarian on bottom. The Romanian blank was marked and drilled using a Childers layout guide and transfer punch, the Bulgarian using measurements from a blueprint. I hosed up the Bulgarian by rushing (the workshop heater ran out of propane and it was something like ten degrees outside) and assuming the indexing edges on the blueprint and the receiver blank were consistent with one another and more accurate than the layout guide. The actual offsets and measurements were otherwise correct, and the FCG holes are properly spaced relative to each other despite being misaligned relative to the whole.

At the time I decided to just write it off as a lesson learned the hard way, coughed up for a proper AK FCG drilling jig like I should have done in the first place, and ordered a set of replacement blanks, this time from Recreator. The Recreator receivers showed up over the weekend but only added to my problems:

The Recreator Bulgarian blank is pinched inward from the back end almost up to the center support. Both blanks are also slightly pinched at the front. I could probably pry apart the back far enough to wedge the rear trunnion in there, but I have doubts about how well that would work when it comes to drilling the FCG and rivet holes, ensuring proper clearance on the BCG rails, etc.

Ordinarily I'd just return the bad blank, wait the 3+ months for a new one (wait time was about equal for both brands) and try to do it right this time. But now 80% receivers are on the chopping block on top of availability being hosed in general, so I'm wondering if I can save the Childers one just in case. As I mentioned before, the Bulgarian FCG functions when dry fired with the front trunnion plus bolt group clamped in place (as does the Romanian) but that doesn't guarantee it'll work with live ammo.

As Deviant Ollam put it, I am an idiot and so can you.

You might be able to save it by modifying the hammer assuming it doesn't work. Might be one of those things you need to do to find out.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Morshu posted:

The dust cover rail on the VEPR-12s is polymer. I honestly think they put it there for aesthetic reasons because it's easy enough to mar with a fingernail; I can't imagine it holding up to a drop or even some full-house slugs. I haven't used it myself. However I've heard tell 'round other parts that by putting on a heavy enough optic you can make feeding unreliable. Since I use mine for 3-gun in open, I went straight to full stupid and replaced the rear sight with a pic rail. If you're OK with the phrases "permanent modification", "sight removal", "TIG weld in place", and "refinish" then it's pretty solid.

It's $45 from Dissident Arms, $175 if you want it installed. They did quality work, but it was several years ago. The height is perfect with the cheek riser in place. While you lose the irons (one is none, dits at the 3gun match) the backup... uh... line on the optic is enough to fling birdshot if the battery fails. Worked OK for me.

Pics are mine. The refinishing is the finest Krylon, three coats. Excuse the lovely iphone photos.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

DkHelmet posted:

The dust cover rail on the VEPR-12s is polymer. I honestly think they put it there for aesthetic reasons because it's easy enough to mar with a fingernail; I can't imagine it holding up to a drop or even some full-house slugs. I haven't used it myself. However I've heard tell 'round other parts that by putting on a heavy enough optic you can make feeding unreliable. Since I use mine for 3-gun in open, I went straight to full stupid and replaced the rear sight with a pic rail. If you're OK with the phrases "permanent modification", "sight removal", "TIG weld in place", and "refinish" then it's pretty solid.

It's $45 from Dissident Arms, $175 if you want it installed. They did quality work, but it was several years ago. The height is perfect with the cheek riser in place. While you lose the irons (one is none, dits at the 3gun match) the backup... uh... line on the optic is enough to fling birdshot if the battery fails. Worked OK for me.

Pics are mine. The refinishing is the finest Krylon, three coats. Excuse the lovely iphone photos.

drat, that actually looks really nice!

I don't think I want a permanent modification for it, but I have heard some people have success with the CSS scout mount that replaces the rear sight, but isn't welded on or anything.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind! Have you ever run into any parts breakage? While doing some research I saw the battlefield vegas people say they're unstoppable and have super high round counts, but others report bolts breaking in half where it kinda splits in two and rotates. I'm a bit paranoid since they're import banned and probably never coming back.

Also, looks like you're running one of those CSSspecs metal mags? How has that been? I need to stock up on some mags but OEM mags are like $100+ a pop.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Morshu posted:

I don't think I want a permanent modification for it, but I have heard some people have success with the CSS scout mount that replaces the rear sight, but isn't welded on or anything.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind! Have you ever run into any parts breakage? While doing some research I saw the battlefield vegas people say they're unstoppable and have super high round counts, but others report bolts breaking in half where it kinda splits in two and rotates. I'm a bit paranoid since they're import banned and probably never coming back.

Also, looks like you're running one of those CSSspecs metal mags? How has that been? I need to stock up on some mags but OEM mags are like $100+ a pop.

My vepr 12 was a real loving princess about being cleaned. It needed to be cleaned every 60-75 shots or it started having malfunctions everywhere.

It was particularly annoying because I would have to rip it open during the loving 3gun match in between stages to clean out the piston so it would stop short stroking.

It wasn't worth the money (to me) to pay someone to get it to run consistently, but I might have just had a lemon.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Morshu posted:

No parts breakage. It likes hotter loads, but I heard you can tune it rather easily since the recoil springs are 1911 style. I just haven't gotten around to it, but it is crap with Walmart Bullshit Birdshot. The CSS mags are awesome and you should immediately purchase too many of them. They need to be fit but they are 10 rounds, all steel, and run flawlessly.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004

IAmThatIs posted:

So I've been thinking about getting a Zastava ZPAPM70, it'd been highly recommended to me. Anybody have any experience with one?

Also I shot a full auto AK recently, and that was too much for me lol No clue how people have a chance in hell hitting anything like that

I bought a M70 last year. It's my first AK. Awesome gun and a blast to shoot. I feel it's very well made and worth the price.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

That stock is gorgeous

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Did yall see how fast KR103s sold out on Atlantic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Did yall see how fast KR103s sold out on Atlantic?

How many did they get? When I opened the e-mail they were already OOS.