Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

I love this thread, I hate not being allowed to own an AK in DC, even with a 5 round mag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Can I ask about tactiloling up an AK? Is the disdain about tactilol gear because the AK is supposed to be an easy to use "no frills" rifle of the people or is it just tactiloling up a rifle in general that infuriates everyone. Or is moderation the key and having 2 lights, 2 optics, a laser, a fore grip, a side grip, a yoyo and a whistle what everyone hates. Or is it that most tactilol gear accomplishes nothing except increasing the cool factor?

More tacticlol = bad

Reason is that it usually looks like utter poo poo, and is made using terrible components.

Also spending $700 in accessories on a $400 WASR-10 is stupid.

Edit: That isn't to say that you can't make a nice looking one, and if you have a sensible plan then totally go for it.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Uncle Caveman posted:

In the case of the piston, don't worry about making it look shiny & new - it's going to constantly be dirty from firing, and so long as it can cycle properly it doesn't matter how it looks. Too much scraping can scratch the metal and actually promote rust instead of preventing it. Just take care to remove as much carbon from the piston face as possible (though note that the BOT guy is using a wire wheel, not a grinding stone).

Wire wheels still remove metal surprisingly fast. Even though the AK has looser tolerances than other rifles I wouldn't be surprised if wire brushing the piston every time you cleaned caused extraction problems after a few years.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Mishaco posted:

I think, Venezuela adopted the 7.62x39 cartridge rifles didn't they? AK-103 and AK-104? Correct me please if i am wrong. South America isn't my strongest suit. Though once i did fly with a friend down there in his little plane to pick up....well i probably shouldn't tell that story huh?

According to wikipedia it was the AK-103s. Don't think they grabbed any 104s though.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

king of the bongo posted:

Most attractive tfr girlfriend. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

televiper posted:

Looking for a combined gas-block/front-sight for an AK-104 build, does anyone have a lead on one that isn't K-Var (constantly sold out) or Krebbs (nonadjustable windage)?

Woah woah how can you drop something like this and not give any details. What are you building into a 104? Your saiga?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

I always thought the FSB looked more recognisable from the side.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

28_days posted:

This is also an idea. What do you guys think?

It's certainly better than having them separate.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

When I went shooting this last weekend, I stuck my barrel into the snow after putting 4 mags through it, and it just instantly turned to steam. That fucker gets super hot.

This is a good way to crack your barrel if you do it a few times. Steel is not terribly fond of rapid changes in temperature.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

Pretty sweet video on how to reload an AK super fast. I'd never seen anything like this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ArLGwj1iSI

here is a much better video showing the same thing, and a bit more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3XCMNYMHFM

better because of Puzikas, not the soundtrack.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 3, 2011

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

-A n i m 8- posted:

AK-12 in action.

Oh, cool, they got rid of the ugly stock from the original and just put on a side-folder. Now I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

What are the good 7.62 AK mags these days? Looking to spend 30 buxx or less but can be convinced to go higher. I've got a couple pmags already, just wanna know if there's anything else I should look at.