Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Finally, an AK thread with a real OP! Thank you Mishaco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Alright, so my brother got a WASR10 from a local gun store. It's pretty much brand new, but the wood is poo poo, absolute poo poo. It's roughly sanded and has no stain or finish. To top it off, it has no cleaning rod because the hole is only partially drilled. You see, the lovely wood started to get a hairline fracture, so they stopped drilling to save the wood.

This won't do. No AK is complete without a cleaning rod, or at least decent furniture. So he's looking to replace this lovely furniture with synthetic stuff. But we don't know what's good and what isn't. Obviously it has to take a cleaning rod, and it has to be under $100. Any recommendations?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

refinishing that hideous WASR stock. Also you can see my new romanian wood pistol grip here, circa 1963!
My brother just got the same Romanian furniture set with the wood foregrip for his WASR, and I found that Minwax red mahogany stain will make the unfinished WASR wood match the foregrip perfectly.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

My brother got his WASR about a month ago and when we took it out shooting we didn't like the amount of muzzle climb at all so he got this set of furniture and a new muzzle break, which leaves him with some crap he doesn't want. This be what we got:

That's the Romanian milsurp stock that came with that set and the crappy Tapco pistol grip and slant style muzzle break that comes on any old stock WASR. There would be a stock lower hand guard too, but it had cracked halfway down when they tried to drill it for a cleaning rod. It did not survive being removed from the rifle.

Anyone want this poo poo? My brother was hoping somebody would have a spare five round magazine they would be willing to trade, but if not we can work out some nominal fee for this stuff and ship it straight away. I would love to show a picture of his AK, but all I have is my webcam and that would just look shameful.

edit: will also trade for Mosin stripper clips.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

My brother got this exact same set of three, they work nice.

http://centerfiresystems.com/PKG07.aspx

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I've always liked 20 round AK mags for some reason. The size just feels right, especially with a wood foregrip.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

For $500 the VEPR is a really solid AK, way nicer than the WASR in almost every way. Only downside is some of the models don't take hi cap mags out of the box. You can feel the serious difference in quality when you hold both of them side by side.

The WASR is also loving sweet though and you can pop a folding stock and a wooden foregrip/bakelite handle for like $100 all said and done, plus you don't have to gently caress around with it or pay more to use hi cap mags right away. The WASR is not at all nice out of the box but they clean up nicely.

fat bossy gerbil fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 15, 2012

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

The wood that comes on the WASR actually does finish up really nicely. I even used loving Minwax red mahogany stain and semi gloss finish and it wound up being practically indistinguishable from the already finished wood foregrip that was put on.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

What ammo are you using? And how fast are you firing? What counts for "a bunch of rounds"? That poo poo doesn't sound right, though you'll see plenty of AK videos where they are smoking after really rapid fire.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

And how many seconds did you fire the gun for without letting it cool down, not taking into account however long it took you to jam another magazine in there? The WASR isn't all that thick or heavy and it heats up hella fast, especially when you go balls to the wall like that.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah that sounds like a combination of lovely ammo and too much gun oil/lube or whatever getting all hot up in there and smoking. Clean it really well and if it doesn't go away then I don't know what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

A new muzzle break can both make your new WASR both look better and shoot better. It's a good $20 or so investment.