Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

ShaiHulud posted:

Recoil buffers are unnecessary. Many people install them when they notice peening on the rear of the bolt carrier and/or the bolt carrier hangs up in the cutouts at the rear of the receiver, but these problems are better solved with the installation of a new recoil spring.

Speaking of recoil springs and flying dust covers, does anyone have an online source for recoil spring guides with the spring-loaded retention pin? I'm pretty sure they were standard Combloc kit for use with GP-25 and GP-30 grenade launchers.

Apex Gun Parts has them (assuming you mean Yugo M70 style). They're a great source of AK bits, especially Yugo ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

ShaiHulud posted:

Does your AKS-74U have the rate reducer installed? Did you try shooting removing the flash hider to see if it cycles without?

Mine does not have the rate reducer (since it's a semi-auto), and cycles fine without the flash hider (albeit with flamethrower-esque muzzle blast).

KaiserBen fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 25, 2010

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Shlomo Palestein posted:

New to this, but just checking (and I wasn't on the market prior to now, so I don't effectively know what a good price is at this point), but would it make sense to piece together an AK from this parts kit:

http://www.classicfirearms.com/bulak74ps

(Bulgarian AK74)

...Knowing that it lacks a barrel, which is going to cost a bit to get fitted in the future (since I'll probably have someone do that rather than worry I've done it wrong)?

Basically, the choice is: buy parts now and slowly over time OR save $800-1000 and buy a full rifle in the future. Does $249 (so roughly $275 with shipping) seem like a decent deal or is it drastically overpriced? Will I end up breaking even over time or is piecemeal gonna be pricier for the same result?

Also I'm in MA, which is why I'm looking at what I'm looking at (rather than, say, an underfolder). I fully acknowledge I'll end up cutting the bayonet mount off, but if there are other things I should also be aware of, I'm all ears. Other than the likelihood of having the barrel fit elsewhere, I'm pretty confident with my remaining mechanical skills.

If you really want to build an AK, start with a kit that has the original barrel. I'm not sure how hard MA is screwed, but if you can wait a few months for gunbroker to return to rationality, barreled kits have been ~$500-600 recently. I've seen one advertised at $850 (including receiver) on akfiles, getting no bites. I wouldn't buy a barrel-less kit for your first AK build.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

So, I might be moving to CA. Yeah, I know.

As far as I can tell: My Krinkov (SBR) is simply illegal to take there, and the rest of my AK-pattern rifles (all on NDS receivers) would be legal with bullet buttons and 10rd mags. Any recommendations for those items?

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Mishaco posted:

Yes, if you do move there, find a new hobby.

Already got a motorcycle, so there is at least one positive about the move (aside from the huge raise).

InterceptorV8 posted:

Sell them to someone in Nevada?

One of my friends (a trustee in the NFA trust) has "graciously" offered to hold on to the SBR and all the 5.45 for me.

Dogbrisket posted:

http://www.amazon.com/California-Legal-AK-Magazine-Lock/dp/B004M7U1D8

There you go. Your other option is to get one of those awful kydex grip wraps and remove any flash hiders your guns have (muzzle brakes are ok though) and go "featureless". This is ugly and probably a pain to shoot, but it's popular with AK owners here.

Ugh, I think I'd rather just use a bullet button than go featureless. An M76 with no flash hider or pistol grip just sounds like an abomination.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

Have you thought about getting a PO Box and storage unit in another state? There are a lot of California rifles hanging out in Nevada.

I have an address and safe storage on the east coast; that's where the SBR will hang out, but I'd rather not just chuck everything in there.

Mishaco posted:

Being serious, if i needed to move to Cali (or a similar state), i would just not worry much about ARs and AKs. Instead, i would put all of my firearms collecting time/money into older milsurp type rifles: bolt actions like the M1903 and Mauser, semi-autos like the M1 Garand andCarbine.

I'm just selling my AR; never shot it that much anyway. I am going to find a way to keep the RPK-74 and the M76 though, I just like them too much to sell. I have been getting into revolvers a bit more lately anyway, so I may end up with some revolver/levergun combos.

howling_mad posted:

As would I. Frankly if it's long term I'd sell your current collection and rebuild once you get settled.

Most of what I own is CA-legal (or would be with smaller mags). I'm gonna take the chance to buy all the off-list handguns I've wanted now, just needed a way to get the M76 and RPK-74 in. I may sell the Tantal and the M72, not sure about the M64 and M70.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Mishaco posted:

If you have an actual, true YUgo M64.... i call dibs if you decide to part with it.

It's a reweld, made from one of the kits Apex had a while back. Only non-Yugo parts are the 922r bits I had to add. I think I'm gonna keep it though; may sell the other M64 and M70 kits I haven't built yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

So what's the going rate on a Tantal these days? I'm thinking of selling mine; polish kit with original barrel, assembled on an NDS receiver. Gunbroker seems to be $5-800, but I can't really find any like mine (most have US barrels).