Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

B4Ctom1 posted:

The cheapest non-corrosive I can find is roughly twice the price of the cheapest Russian 7N6 corrosive. Is any ammo "more" corrosive than others?

I need to sit down and take some pictures but I have been running my slr105 through a tin of surplus (about 800 or so through it in the past couple months.) and have yet to clean it. Gas tube is a bit orange and the brake is a bit tight to remove (still able to just unscrew with hands). Rest of the gun is pretty clean and not a single issue so far. I know it might be bad but I am pretty curious about how bad I can get it before boiling a pot of water and breaking out the brushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

the sgl20 is under 600 at k-var

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

I have a kvar nato length black buttstock that I am not using from my arsenal. I am using the rest of the furniture so it is the black buttstock only. If you end up not finding anything in your budget hit me up. Maybe we can trade something or figure out a decent price for it.

e:the only place I have seen full kvar/ US marked poly furniture for cheap has been on the akforum classifieds and most of it is warsaw length

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 28, 2009

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

the rats- warsaw then acs then moe

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

How much are the East german bakelite ak74 30 round mags currently worth? I am seeing prices from $18 all the way up to $30 on some sites.

This is a picture of their condition.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Mishaco posted:

Well if that's what people are paying for them...why not? Back during the AWB i paid $15-20 for an E.G. bakelite pretty regularly.

Thanks for the price info.

On a side note, I had no idea that saiga made a full auto .22lr ak.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

what is the best way to attach a vfg to an ak? I see that caa and tapco both make bottom railed poly fore-ends and that the tapco one has a metal heatshield. Only problem is the companies that produce them seem to not be recommended for parts. I don't need an optic rail nor the extra weight of a fully railed ar type of fore-end. I think I would like a heatshield because it does get hot up front but I haven't tried a fore-end without a heatshield so I don't know if I need one.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

Sharkfin your ak up.

On a random chance, do you have any spares I could buy or trade with you for something?

VVV Thanks a bunch. I will go through my parts tomorrow and see what I have that I will never use just incase you need something.

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 14, 2010

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

daskrolator posted:

Yep. I've noticed it builds up carbon quite a bit, I've been using hot water, clp, and some q-tips to clean it out.

twi 5.45 rear peep sight for that rail should be shipping hopefully in the next couple weeks if you were interested in that.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

daskrolator posted:

Is there any way one can tell based on the inscriptions on the can?
This is what I have as far as translations for the tops of the russian tins.

Both are 5.45
Lacquer steel cases (GS, looks like rc)
Steel core bullet (PS, looks like nc)

Top can:
Ammo Lot G50
loaded in 1979
By factory 539 =Tula
Powder is 34th lot of SF033fl made in 1979 at State chemical factory B

Bottom can:
Ammo Lot B66
loaded in 1982
by factory 17 = Barnaul
Powder is 555th lot of SF033fl made in 1981 at State chemical factory B

For 7.62

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

ShaiHulud posted:

Other than the folding stock Type 56-2 that I posted on the last page, could you link me to some images or suggest some search terms that illustrate what you're talking about? My first few pages of Google image results only turn up PLA guys with Type 56 rifles and normal (by Chinese standards) grips without the distinctive flat bottom cut.

I know this is from ages ago but I was reading a Sri Lankan Army thread and found these. Don't know if you wanted PLA specific though in which case ignore these.

Some more with the distinctive grip and folding bakelite insert stock. Didn't see any with the grip and a fixed stock though.
http://i45.tinypic.com/25ipvgn.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/s5cnle.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/30to0oh.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2dl40sn.jpg

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Thanks. Looks like none of the SGLs have wood furniture? I wanted the classic look, but if it is a superior model I'll have to take some time to think about it.

You can pick up cheap wood furniture and sell the kvar (not tapco) furniture for a lot more than you could sell wood furniture, especially if you grab a plum rifle over the black. I paid like ~$30 shipped for a full set of bulgarian ak74 furniture for example. A plastic kvar buttstock by itself sells for that much.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Mishaco posted:

Here a while back on TFR, we had a little 'name my business' contest.
Bear Arms won overwelmingly but i had to add 'Ozark' to make sure that my business was unique. I live in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas (yes the place Willie said grew the best pot).

I forget who but someone said this looked like a groundhog but whatever, I'm going to post it again.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Isn't that the new version of the AK that they made with the hinged top cover, foreend rails and improved ergonomics i.e. not just a new dust cover that you can fit on your current ak?

This dust cover will also be for sale soon.

Originally Posted By Rafaga/TWI on ar15 posted:

Hi All,

Here are pics of the almost finished prototype. The rear latch mechanism is not present in the pics as I wasn't able to finish it this weekend. Hope to have it done later this week.

The new rail incorporates the dust cover, all machined out of one large block of aluminum. This will hinge up like the dust cover on a krink. It will incorporate a latch at the rear which grabs onto the release button to pull the cover down securely onto the trunnion. The rear stock tang is no longer needed. Like the first generation Dog Leg it will affix very firmly with a tight snap and no movement for accurate return to zero.

There are several improvements designed into what is now, really, an all new rail. One of the more important improvements is the rail surface will now be about another 1/8" lower than before. This is made possible by incorporating the dust cover. That small change really improves the co-witness of the standard front sight through the optic lens. Anothe result of this change is better visibility of iron for the 5.45 as the front dog leg portion is also lower. The peeps will be adapted to fit the new mount.

The second important improvement is the use of a larger front pin. The first gen. model used a 3mm pin in the standard location of the leaf sight. This new 2nd gen. model uses a 4mm pin in the lower portion of the hole in the sight block. Look at your weapon and you will see the hole is shape like a pear and is larger at the bottom. The increased pin diameter was done just to make it a little more rugged. We have not had a single failure in the field, but I figured a little extra beef wouldn't hurt. Overall the new product is a little lighter than the 1st gen. as a result of losing the rear latch blocks and related hardware.

The pricing might need to adjust upward by just $10 or so, but I believe the improved product will warrant the small increase. Let me know if going from $129 to $139 seems fair. As I indicated in an earlier post, we are now an Aimpoint dealer. I realize that Aimpoints are kinda pricey for lots of guys, but by bundling the new Dog Leg with an Aimpoint I'll be able to put together a smokin deal you can't get elsewhere. It will still be several weeks before I get the first order of optics in. Currently looking at what I can do on a Trijicon deal, but that may take a while yet.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2735/4320744829_b12c31df51_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2769/4320744703_e2779c0344_b.jpg

The rear peep sight now overhangs the rail a little bit making it quicker to deploy.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2764/4320745893_fe85d7f407_b.jpg
The peep for the 7.62 is different than the 5.45 one btw and you can see the difference in the flickr account.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=56&t=111659&page=26
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31107649@N03/

Ensign Expendable posted:

Awesome logo. What's the gun in the middle supposed to be? The other two look like a DP and a very short AK.

left to right,
dp28 http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/kg/dp28.jpg
psl http://beaniam.com/guns/romakdone.JPG
generic ak

I had to fudge some parts to make it look like a recognizable gun without making them bigger than the bear and they were drawn with a sharpie, which bled ink like crazy the second I touched the paper. The ak pistol grip/ psl stock/dp28 barrel look funky but the pic was the second redraw and far from finished as I suck at drawing.

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 13, 2010

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

parkieus posted:

Mags man. I have the two cheap rear end ones it came with.

Someone else mentioned you going operator in the woods of eastern PA. How close are you to philadelphia/west chester, PA? If you are close then you should come shoot the practical rifle matches with your AK at LRGC. Make sure you read about 922r before you go swapping your tapco furniture out.

This link was posted recently which is pretty easy to understand.
http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

If you ak is jamming then it is not the ammo. I shoot corrosive in my ak74 and even after not cleaning it for a bit I have zero failures.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I'm not freaking out. I still haven't purchased the SLR I want, but I still want to keep an eye on things.

My slr has a cant. It's not a big deal to me as the rifle is still the tits and to me worth it. Is a cant really a big deal as long as it is not extreme and right next to the ears?

Picture for new page.

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 28, 2010

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

dkhelmet- you need to get some shots of it out in the sun. That finish was something fiercely sexy to look at up close.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

Did you ever put that shark fin on your AK?

I haven't seen my folks yet. Mail sent to the city gets stolen quite often where I am. I just asked though and there is a box with your name on it so I will go grab that today and post pictures.

I'm so excited.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

<3 Miso

Mishaco - these are pictures of the sharkfin foregrip that miso sent me that was made from a romanian vfg handguard if you were wondering what the below pictures are.

king of the bongo posted:

I'm so excited.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Professor Awesome posted:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun74.aspx

Maybe I missed this being posted earlier but regardless I think it's time to get an AK-74

Maybe not, look for dkhelmet's posts (page 31) and others on the rest of the internet before you pull the trigger on the centerfire ak74 rifles.

You are right about it being time to get an ak74 though. I love my arsenal slr105a1r.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

picture of slr105

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

Is this what your sharkfin is on?
It makes my gun look like a crocodile with hair on it's chinny chin chin

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 25, 2011

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

Did you need some wood for your gas tube? I might have something lying around here you could have.
Do you have a screw for my butt stock?

I have two sets of bulgarian furniture that are sitting packed in goop. I have no place to clean and refinish them right now so they will stay in there. Thank you though. I like the mismatched look for some reason too.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

Is it just the wood screw? If yes, then yes I have a couple extra wood screws.

I was making a sexual joke but I actually do need one or two wood screws if you have spares. The last gunshow I went to didn't have any and no shops "keep parts for ak's because all the parts you need come on the gun". You have my email. Thanks.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Gewehr 43 posted:

So, I bit the bullet (hurr) and ordered an Arsenal SGL31 today. W/Scope rail. Couple questions:

1) How hard is it to retrofit wooden furniture? It's a passing interest of mine to replace the stock black synthetic w/wood.

2) What would be the best scope to throw on it? It's an AK, so I'm not expecting too much, but I see centerfire has Romanian PSO-1 for $100. I know I could mount some mad railz and put on a Trijotech AimCOG or something, but I'd prefer to keep it eastern european looking, if for no other reasons than asthetics.

My bulgarian 74 furniture fits perfectly (two sets of it) on an slr. I have a set of romanian sar furniture that fits fine but has some gap between the buttstock and rear because it was pre drilled. Upper and lower hgs fit with no wobble across all of them with the lower hg on a romanian g vfg one needed a bit of a tap with a mallet. Most of the stocks tend to be a bit thicker than the square that the rear trunnion creates if that makes any sense. They are not a flush fit in that way but there are no gaps between the wood and the metal and all require mallets to get on and off.

You can get an ultimak an a small red dot which is actually pretty nice once you use it. Its hardly much of a rail and not obnoxious other than looking a bit bare without an upper hg. Consider it.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

g43, I would just go to akforum and look under the used accessories and parts sale sections. You can buy the full set of bulgarian furniture with lightning cuts and hardware that looks a million times better than the 8$ wood you see for 25-30$ shipped. They pop up fairly often.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

REASONS TO OWN A SF FAG

I MEAN LOOK AT IT.

LOOK AT HOW CUTE IT IS. GET A GIRL LAUGHING AND SHE IS YOURS THEY SAY.

LADIES WILL BLOW OFF CARBON BUILDUP ON MUZZLE.

WHY ARE YOU STILL NEEDING REASONS.

GET ONE AND GET SOME

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

I hope you're not commenting on my red dotted on my AK.

Is that rail worth it with a low optic like the micro clone? I tried it with a dot with rings (low ones) and found it just a bit high. Never got to try it like you have it setup. Would you just use an ultimak even though it gets really hot in front?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Mishaco posted:

What kind of stock is he using?
Tapco intrafuse folding stock. The 30$ one they sell.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

Wanna see dat bouncin' on ma dick nawmsayin
Just don't touch the hair though or she will kill you. Have some more of her saving Jennifer Grey from that evil Mel Gibson.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Desert palms new ak grip coming soon. Looks nice.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Atticus_1354 posted:

drat that is expensive. Now is a good time to post a picture of my dream ak.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Guessing NDS-30 Yugo Krink Scope Rail. Yugo m92 krinkov with the aimpoint T-1.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

kuffs posted:

This is pretty much my dream AK. Stock, optics, short barrel. Please tell me more

You can try buying a slr107ur and chopping it down the road if the sbr is preventing you from getting one. I don't know much yet as I wasn't ready to drop a grand plus on a krink just yet but you do have a couple of options. Nothing less than $1200 from what I found though.

slr 107ur before

and after

What is my personal dream one? It is in 5.45x39.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Propagandalf posted:

unfffffff. Even with that recockulous scope.

Shamelessly crossposting tx-zen's pictures.

Does it look less recockulous here?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Mishaco posted:

too many pictures, not enough captions!!!
yeah, i am being a whiny blind bastard....deal with it, I'm the OP...
Someone posted a krink with a side rail and I think an aimpoint. The rest of the pictures following that are a yugo m ninety two krink with an aimpoint t1 on a nds branded picatinny rail that screws to the top cover. Two pictures, one folded and one unfolded. The owner made up a left hand side sling mount too for it that attaches to the lower front hand guard and the underfolding stock.

The next picture is a stock slr107ur triangle folder and then one with a chopped down barrel with wooden hand guards, triangle folder and that 4pc bulgarian krink muzzle device along with a NSPU/1PN34 sitting on top.

Next is an aksu with a aimpoint t1 on top of a samson rail and polymer furniture with a solid folding buttstock. Also has a weapon light mounted to the hand guard. Izhmash s12 pistol grip. Bulgarian 4pc muzzle device.

Then came the comment about the nspu on the slr107ur looking ridiculous so next came a picture of a slr107ur (wooden hand guard, sbr, triangle folder, 4pc muzzle device) with a Kobra EKP-1S-03M on top of a side mount. This was posted together with a picture of an ndm86 with the nspu on top and a dude firing it.

Last picture is of a s12 shotgun with a pk-as on a side mount rail, some sort of extended magwell, what looks like normal kvar polymer ak hand guards with some sort of piece of metal in front to hold it in. I have no idea what I am looking at there to be honest.

All the krinks were in 7.62 except for the one aksu and the guns in the pictures I posted all belong to one dude from another gun board.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

poo poo, I meant the light mount.

Sorry about the delay. I had to remember an old password to get this message back.

"
the rail is the 2" PRI accessory rail for the carbon fiber tubular SPR MK12 MOD0 rifle.
To ue this rail you have to sand down the top of the handguard just a touch under where the rail goes to make sure it sits flush (as it's curved). It's pretty easy to get that right.
The rail mounts with panhead hex head screws that go into a metal retainer plate. The metal retainer plate is two small squares of metal connected by a thin piece.
Just cut them apart and, this is where it's a little tough, make the necessary recess in the inner surface of the Krink handguard.
A dremmel with the round sanding drum works perfectly and is pretty easy IF YOU HAVE THE FLEX SHAFT ATTACHMENT,

I suppose you could do it with a small set of wood chisels or something, but with the flex shaft it's nothing and the rail is now mounted to the wooden handguard the same way it's mounted to the forward tube on the US Army's Special Purpose Rifle.
Now some rifles have a problem with the upper front handguard "rotating" or play in the mounting. This is pretty easily fixed with spot welds to the retaining clip, JB Quick if you really want to make it easy, or a shim between the front handguard pieces.
Mine is welded, but if I make another this way, I'll go with the JB Weld which holds up under near full auto mag dumps!
I've heard a few comments about it retaining zero mounted in this way, well mine is for a flashlight only, I mount the IR Laser there too however, but with the T-1 mounted there I could not get any measurable deviation. Once zeroed the weapon was zeroed, months later another range trip and it's dead on!

Any more questions send me a message, glad to help.
One thing is for sure, with just the PRI rail on the handguard, it's the prettiest setup there is!"

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

Independence posted:

How much modification does this require to get on an AK?

That's a rear trunion that comes with it and what you need to either have already or swap out your current one for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

IR: How high up is that scope? Is it just the angle?

The Automator posted:

Where do people get the little rubber covers for the charging handle?

One gunshop I know always had a couple behind the counter that they took off guns they got in once they sold them. I have never seen anyone actually use one ever.