Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Here is an extremely detailed AK-74 mag guide that I tripped over online. maybe some of it could be useful to the op?

http://home.comcast.net/~shooter2_indy/ak74_mag_guide.html

awesome link. I have one of those 10 round romanian mags (thanks mischa!) and that arch on the side is annoying to my tantal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

according to the description, its 2 30 round mags welded together, and converging to the proper single stack at the entrance.

I imagine there is an internal central rib, but not full height, and the rounds are just pushed up as they are used, but not evenly.

i imagine its pretty iffy to use.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I could see a custom cutout with 10 or MAYBE a 20 rnd mag in there, but I would think that would be very custom, vs the millions of AK stocks with a springcovered hole in them.

Basically you got a cleaning kit in the stock, unless you had a wire stock, in which case it came in a pouch.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I thought it was well established in the various threads that century has never officially took responsibility for the troubles, and in fact still maintains a 5.45 round is meant to tumble( in a full page ad no less).

They just so happen to use the correct parts now.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Uncle Caveman posted:

Daskro, nice rifle - but why the perm brake?

Also, if you have a caliper, can you measure the height of the rail from the dust cover? It looks considerably lower than the DPH Beryl.

it actually looks higher to me:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Uncle Caveman posted:

Ahhh, I didn't consider that the muzzle itself would be un-threaded.

Pay special attention to the crown when cleaning - 74 brakes are great, but they do trap carbon like crazy.

The q-tips made for kids, the fat kind with the very thin tip, are PERFECT for 5.45 chambers, brakes, and the such.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

AntiTank posted:

Good luck with that

Well, THAT i would wipe with a rag. The round q-tip goes in that round hole in the center. Soaked in Hoppes, it drips really nicely down the length.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

and it turned out it was just a bent dust cover. if i remember correctly, that got swapped out and all the other parts are on it still as well, and its just fine.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

5 steel AK mags for $40 (plus shipping) is a great deal :

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/1329?osCsid=596f7baad6e62de2015f7f09de1a6d8d

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

ShaiHulud posted:

I will be manufacturing a US-made SVD as soon as Mishaco smuggles me into the Izhmash factory to borrow blueprints.

You can't just pop over with a briefcase of $1s to hand out and a van full of blue jeans?

times they are a changin'

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

SixthFloorFreak posted:

I've ran into a weird issue with my Tantal. I've talked it over with Mishaco, who I purchased it from, so this is more of a "trip report" than bitching or whatever.

Local former game warden dude builds and messes with AK's all the time and happens to have a shitload of 5.45 laying around about the time I received my Tantal. He sold me a 100 rounds of black box Wolf 60gr. so I could get to shooting. Before I was able to pick it up however, I found Wolf Military Classic 70gr at a local Dunham's so I picked some up. Here's where things get a bit weird.

One day on my lunch break, I decided to shoot a big piece of cardboard with the remaining rounds I had in both mags, one with 60gr. in it and one with 70gr. Imagine my horror upon finding that my Tantal keyholes. But wait, there are perfect round holes on the target too. Long story short, it keyholes with 60gr. Wolf and absolutely loves the 70gr. Military Classic..."lolCIA" I guess. Is it a 1/7 twist Tantal by some chance? Wolf ammo to blame? Who knows, but bottom line though, I love it, keyholing or not.

I'm kinda scared to see what it does with surplus, though

70gr wolf is bigger then 60gr wolf. Is this a century built one? You might have the 5.56 barrels rather then 5.45, and the slightly larger bullet is engaging the rifling better.

The only surefire way to tell is to pull a 53gr pulled surplus bullet through and see the (lack?) or rifling, vs other sizes.

If someone can tell me a safe way to pull a couple bullets i can play with my surplus 53 grain and send a few to you.. and push one myself as a comparison.

I keyhole slightly in the first few rounds (1 out of 5 or 10) and then it goes away as the barrel heats up(?)

Edit: Define what you mean. slightly larger holes or like this

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 5, 2010

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

hmm he is making it for the tantal (the 5.45 one). depending on price i might pic that up instead, the dogleg rail (non hinge) got annoying to take off

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Add me to the interested in the SGL club. I wonder if some group buy is valid now that we have a few people looking to buy. Its a shame i didn't come to my senses earlier when they were cheaper.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

yeah, group buy was the wrong word. what is the going rate on them now? SGL in 7.62

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

HoveringCheesecake posted:

SLR107-21 with the folding stock for $859.00. 5.56 SLR106-31 is cheaper at $699.00.

SGL20-61 for $649.00

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=350

I can't easily see the difference in the SGL20 vs SGL21 .. other then the $50 difference.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Gay Black Fascist posted:

IIRC it's just the accessory lug, which you probably don't have any use for at all.

but both are listed as having a bayo lug. So its a mystery.

One specifically says that it accepts double stack mags, while this is absent on the other. But they offer to sell me proper 30-40 round mags anyway.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

ShaiHulud posted:

Tantal poo poo

You take that back right now. (yes i heard the clear mags were poop, but that is why i run polish steel)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

how can i make my anti-recoil device, which is a similar patterned ak rifle pointing backwards, which shoots at the same time, but in opposite directions, feed from the same mag as my forward facing one ?

Wait, does that count as 1 pull = more then 1 bullet? Do they have to face the same way?

ok.. i made changes, you have to pull a different trigger. Now the anti-recoil system is selectable on or off, depending on if you pull that trigger. My original question still stands.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

So how are those Bulgarian builds? compared to the SGL (SLR?) I realize its a US receiver, but are they buttoned up as nice ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

DkHelmet posted:

It was a recommended finish from the owner of Ironwood. Since I'm a (proven) fool when it comes to working with wood, I just blindly accepted what he recommended.

It didn't come out bad, just different.

Post pics, because i thought it was awesome.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I love that furniture.

Wait, it has the triangle marked (Russian) mark, then they painted it over and said "no no, made in Bulgaria" ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Gewehr 43 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, century put together a bunch of Tantals with the wrong barrels on them. I think they put them together w/5.56 barrels or the likes. I can't remember if they issued a recall or if they just said gently caress off to their customers.

If you were the original buyer you are cool. if you are the 2nd,3rd,..nth buyer they will tell you to get bent. Although you could try.

Another option is to try the heaviest grain you can find, but if 60 grain does it.. then i dunno.

You could also just replace the barrel, but that will bring the cost up to and possibly beyond the cost of a new tantal. And I think the Kvar barrels in 1:7 are a bit too fast for surplus 5.45

Unless someone has a source for $100 5.45 barrels.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

That actually sounds awesome. If they replace the barrel with the correct one, it should solve everything though. Since both are US made, its just a drop in replacement (and headspaced?)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

wait i thought they were open to replacing it? *except* if it does exactly what they are replacing it for ?

I love my tantal (with work) so if you an get micha to get them to fix it, all the better. But getting your money back out of it (or towards a new ak) is a good deal.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Vorlonesque posted:

Who's the maker of that wood stockset and what is its finish out of curiousity.

Also, does the gas piston in the SGL-21 just screw out...I'm thinking of taking it out (but still keeping it) and putting in an Arsenal US gas piston so I can put a Russian made bakelite grip on my rifle and still be 922r compliant. Are the Arsenal US made gas pistons acceptable, or would it be a bad idea to mess with that (assuming chaning them is a simple task that can be reversed easily).

While I agree law is law, could you *really* tell a US vs non US made gas piston? I don't think i ever saw any markings that tell you either way.

That said, you replace the gas piston, how do you prove to Joe ATF that its a part that puts you over compliance ?

Or if they are examining your AK that close to add that charge, you have worse charges to worry about ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Mishaco posted:

Tantal shooters, your worries are over....

The two of us left were never worried in the first place

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

TFR, six months ago:

HAY GUYS! CHEAP AKs! In 5.54! CHEAP SURPLUS AMMO! THIS IS AWESOME!

Cyrano, six months ago:

That stuff is corrosive as hell, make sure you take 5 minutes to hose it out really well. Look, I'll even make a guide for you!

95% of TFR Tantal owners, five and a half months ago:

OH WHAT THE gently caress RUST?!? But you don't need to clean AKs!

TFR 1-6 months ago:

WTS: Polish Tantal ak-74 x 50

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Mishaco posted:

Are there that few Tantals left? sad. Its still a neat platform and i have mine.

Well in all fairness the kinds of people that tend towards ARs and AKs didn't have to contend with currosive ammunition near as much as those of us who got into firearms with Mausers and Mosins.

That said, i still go with Wolf 5.45 when i can afored to. I still clean after but with noncurrosive tehre is no risk of missing a spot. On a bolt action i am confident i will get all the salts out but with self-loading rifles with gas systems, less so. The AK is alright since its a pistin system, but gently caress, cleaning currosive 5.45 out of one of those AR15s chambered for it gives me nightmares. I mean direct empengement blowing that poo poo all over the insides. Only good thing is the fact that those receivers aren't made of steel but still.

Its funny you mention the ar in 5.45. I read a thread last night on arfcom where someone claimed to have shot a ton of surplus 5.45 through his ar, and after the trip, a bite to eat ( a few hours) his bolt carrier was rusted in place.

Everyone called Bullshit, and pictures were posted.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

but 5.45 is supposed to keyhole, it has that air pocket in the tip that makes them so deadly!

(im sorry)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

classicarms.us (PRAISE JESUS) is selling a upper/lower HG wood set for now .. so that is the cheapest option I see for wood.

The upper alone is a $50+ purchase when you bundle it together like everywhere else.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

search classicarms.us for the following words : WHILE WE ARE ON ODDBALL STUFF

the picture of the wood is right under. drat that site is hard to point people to look at something specific

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Our own smiling jack ran my tantal in the 3 gun we had here recently. He did pretty well considering he never shot anything like it before that day, and it was just stock irons.

The best reason given was comparability. It's easy to grab a spare 'x' when everyone is basically running the same gun. Case in point I easily gave foghorn a spare ar mag when his went tits up.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

"Sell your gun, go take up golf"

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

also his 4 rules make sense in a military / combat role... but please people follow the traditional 4 rules at your local range and game lands.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I replaced my folding tantal stock with surplus romanian furniture. it really does drop right in.

There is really nothing wrong with century tantals, just shoot it the second you get it with surplus ammo and see if it has a keyhole problem or canted sights. Although i would be very surprised if current tantals have either problem.

don't buy one cheap off of anyone, since they are probably unloading a crap one. Unless its someone here.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Gay Black Fascist posted:

How are the Beryl rails? It seems lots of people are selling them and I'm wondering if it's because of any issues or if it just seems too 'tactical' on most AKs.

There is nothing wrong with them, and the price varies WILDLY. like $60 to $300+. it all depends on quick disconnect and integrated peep sights.

overall my tantal felt a bit heavy with it, but i debate putting it back on with a red dot again. Since i didn't have a quick release, i needed to unscrew it each time, which forced me to have a hex head to remove the screw, and made cleaning a bit more bothersome.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

in my tantal, a romainian 10 round mag is very tight, and needed some work to fit.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

mischief posted:

Get a WASR-2 instead. Similar price range, same cheap ammunition, and you don't get AIDS from a wire folding stock. Plus you get a bonus chrome lined barrel.

This very forum taught me that the tantal you buy from century now is 100% fine. Buying from a 3rd party could net you one of those older models.

I could have sworn they had bad things to say about the WASR-2, unless I am thinking of the WASR-3 in 5.56

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

ShaiHulud posted:

A user going by Tantal on the AK Files forums is/was selling these for $80:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Basically a regular AK scope side rail with a spacer to clear the useless Tantal switch on the left side of the receiver. You could make your own for about $15 (steel for spacer, scope rail, rivets, and 40oz of your favorite malt liquor).

i thought the side selector prevented the rivel holes from lining up in the first place. Either way, i was selling my beryl rail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

i have been very impressed with the groups another goons WASR shot with a cheap red dot. There is really nothing wrong with them, and the price is just even better lately.