Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us

Pillbug

That was a really informative OP. Mishaco, do you own ALL those AKs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Neo Mara posted:

I got a new Kalashnikov today but it doesn't seem to shoot bullets??

It's got to do with a different kind of shots, you see.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

ShaiHulud posted:

What What (in the buttstock)

Mishaco and I recently discussed this, so I'd like to add my writeup on one of the least appreciated parts of the AK: the cleaning kit. A marvel of functionality, its presence next to your cheek every time you pull the trigger should serve as a reminder that AKs do in fact need to be cleaned.

Look at all the great stuff it contains!

The parts of most AK cleaning kits are as follows:
A: Cap
B: Tube
C: Multitool
D: Jag
E: Bore brush
F: Pin punch

Each component is plenty useful on its own, but when they combine like a ghetto Russian Voltron they can do even more useful stuff.
If you unscrew the cap of your cleaning kit and it contains a smaller cleaning kit nested inside, return your AK to the manufacturer immediately.

Screwdriver
Placing the multitool into the tube as shown allows you to tighten buttstock and pistol grip screws, depress the spring-loaded muzzle device detent easily, and lift up the lower handguard locking lever.

Phillips head screws were outlawed by Stalin.

Sight Adjustment
The small hole in the end of the multitool is the perfect size to sit atop your front sight pin. Reversing the multitool's orientation in the tube allows you to adjust elevation.

Stop ruining your front sight pin with pliers.

The Tube
The tube itself contains a long narrow slot at one end, designed to fit over the tab of the gas tube locking lever.

The long slot

Stop scratching your finish by using pliers or a hammer.

Pin Punch
This punch is perfectly sized to allow you to disassemble your bolt. In a pinch, the bolt carrier itself makes for a decent field-expedient hammer.

The Cap
In addition to its obvious function keeping the various components in place, it also fits over the end of your rifle's barrel, keeping the cleaning rod aligned and preventing damage to the crown.

Jag, brush, and general cleaning procedure
A boresnake is a much easier way to clean your barrel, but if you're bored or playacting the Fulda Gap invasion in your backyard, you have all the necessary tools at hand. We won't discuss the relative merits of using urine, diesel, or vodka rations as barrel cleaning agents, but a scrap of cloth or even some string wrapped around the jag does an adequate job.
First, insert the cleaning rod into the large hole in the tube, then angle the rod slightly so it exits the tube through the smaller hole directly opposite. Drop the multitool into the tube so the large hole is covered and the cleaning rod is effectively captured within the tube. You now have a T-shaped cleaning apparatus that is easier to grasp while wet and grimy.
If you have trouble tightening or removing the jag from the cleaning rod, use the multitool as a wrench by inserting the flattened area on the jag into the semicircular cutout in the multitool.

Here is everything thrown together.

Do all/most AKs have this? My mother told me that back in the USSR when they learned to assemble/disassemble AKs at school the stock held an extra magazine instead of a cleaning kit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Yeah, I thought it was weird too. She doesn't remember much about it though, so it may have been a cleaning kit or something completely different.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

ShaiHulud posted:

Learning how to disassemble an AK at school is both awesome and somewhat sad at the same time. If they taught marksmanship at all, it is conceivable that they started the kids with .22s, and Izhevsk/Tula/Molot have a whole bunch of trainer .22s that I'm not familiar with. When I read the line about a magazine in the buttstock I immediately thought about one of these biathlon-style rifles I'm currently lusting after.

This was the USSR, a lot of stuff was awesome and sad. They didn't get any ammo with those AKs, not even dummy rounds. As far as I recall, marksmanship training was in the Pioneers with 4.5mm pneumatic rifles. Back before WWII, there was a movement to make the population better marksmen in order to prepare for a possible war. There were two stages, a qualification with a sporting rifle and then the same one with a military rifle. After the war, you would get certain benefits from the state if you were a 3rd-class shooter or higher, like with any sport (also chess). Eventually the government started confiscating personal rifled weapons from those with insufficient rank on that scale. Smoothbore weapons and those used for hunting were fine, I'm not clear on the specifics for that. A lot of people kept their 4.5mm rifles, my grandfather has one that's a lot like the Romanian one Cyrano posted a while ago, except without any of that pansy-rear end "safety".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Mishaco posted:

As for SVDs from Russia, sadly they have started cracking down on people coming in with jeans and trading off all their spare military parts...no ideas why?
All jokes aside, there were (probably still are) crooked military bases that let people shoot pretty much anything they had for enough money. My grandfather found one that was a weapons testing facility, with awesome old stuff like Maxims and DShKs, as well as fairly run of the mill modern guns. Mostly Russian stuff, only am M16, a Luger and an MP40 weren't. They didn't have any 5.56 on hand and the MP40 was broken though Only got to go there once, since they got shut down pretty soon after.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Wow, I had no idea PPS-43 pistols existed. I thought it would be as hard to get a semi-auto one as a semi-auto PPSh. How common are they?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

king of the bongo posted:

I forget who but someone said this looked like a groundhog but whatever, I'm going to post it again.

Awesome logo. What's the gun in the middle supposed to be? The other two look like a DP and a very short AK.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

stangman posted:

Pretty cool. I've actually seen them for a lot of soviet weapons. I know there's one for the AKS-74U, and I've even seen one for an RPG.

Edit: Found some, they're pretty common.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=159529397 Chinese
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=159841543 AK-74
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=159476868 Krink
Speaking of posters, has anyone seen one of these in a reasonable size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

ShaiHulud posted:

Here let me fix that:

Much better now. These devotchkas would like to remind you to never roll with a naked muzzle.

It appears something interesting is going on behind them. Or maybe everyone is just staring at their asses.