Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

WASR-10
74 style brake
Midwest Industries rail system
Aimpoint CompML2
Ace grip adapter with MIAD
VLTOR stock adapter with MOE stock

Discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Uncle Caveman posted:

That's a lot of money for a cheap Romanian AR-15!

(I like it)

Great thread, Mishaco, but you know you're going to get a ton of questions about how to mount a scope on an AK.

I for sure want a red dot, and the MI rails are close in price to the Ultimak tube. Plus I get sides and bottom if I want a light and one of those new Magpul AFGs. Word on the street is they're the heat on an AK.

I hate standard AK grips and I don't care for the SAW grip, either.

A couple reasons for the stock: The VLTOR tube has a QD sling swivel in just the right place to run a single point. Magpul makes a rubber buttpad that I also really like and think would work pretty great for a x39 AK. They have an attachable cheek piece if I need one for the Aimpoint.

I was looking at those Aimpoint clones, but I don't want to waste money on something that will get beat up by the recoil or gently caress up from the heat.

Edit: Are these good reasons, or am I just trying to talk myself into spending money? The more I think about it the more I just don't know

Edit 2: Pic of the new Magpul grip on an MI forend:

The Automator fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 23, 2009

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Crunkjuice posted:

I apologize for what might be a stupid question, but i don't know much about AK's from what i've seen, mounting rails/optics have been difficult. How difficult would it be to just manufacture handguards with rails built into them? Wouldn't that solve the problem of the lack of rails on the front end of the gun?

There are a number of companies that do this already, such as Ultimak and Midwest Industries

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Scarecrow411 posted:

What's the difference between Nato and Warsaw length? The warsaw length is the standard short stock?

Exactly. NATO is around the size of an AR A2 stock, Warsaw is the original shorter length. There's no reason to get a NATO unless you're like 6'5" or taller.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

AntiTank posted:

74 style brake is loud, flashy and big. It's pretty useless if you don't have full auto option.

Rail is big and heavy and the optic sits too high. Ultimak is 10 times better.

Why MIAD on a AK?

I hate the standard AK grip. It's not big enough. I hate the SAW grips, too.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Holy poo poo, this blows my mind a little.

Thanks for the write-up, it was great. I'm going to have to look around and see if I can find a kit for cheap.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

I think I'm going to the gun show after work on Friday, I'm going to keep an eye out for one.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I should probably buy a new mag so I can confirm whether my Lancaster's 50% fail-to-feed problem is due to the mag they gave me or the prototype rifle

If you've only tested with one single mag, then poo poo yeah you should try other mags. AK mags are only like $10 anyway.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Uncle Caveman posted:

this is generally true for US aftermarket stuff, but polymer Bulgarian mags are solid.

Wasn't there mention of an AK PMag at one point?

I picked up some metal lined polymer Bulgarian mags that rule.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

This is gospel in the UZI world.

This is gospel for most foreign made guns that A. Mec-Gar doesn't make mags for, or B. do not take AR mags.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

You guys are best friends and you don't even know it

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

What the hell are you doing you blind son of a bitch??

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Uncle Caveman posted:

when did you become such an angry asian man

Have you heard the way they speak to each other at Chinese restaurants? They always sound pissed.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

SadWhaleFamily posted:

THATS RACIST

of course it is

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

SGLs, for sure. There's something to be said for an AK that's actually Russian.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Wow.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

parkieus posted:

Question, Do you all like the Tapco Mags? I know they weigh less, but I've heard they are thicker, so you can't fit as many in standard pouches. I have 2 steel mags atm and one tapco. And the Tapco jams way more than the steels.

Tapco mags are absolute poo poo.

If you want plastic mags, Bulgarians are great and fairly inexpensive.

If you just want mags to bang around at the range buy the $10 steel specials.

Rule #1 of AK mags: Don't buy American made mags.

Though those new US Palm AK30 mags look pretty poo poo hot...

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Also save your pennies to go to training classes and learn how to do the HSLD poo poo right

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

parkieus posted:

Yea
http://sgcusa.com/Magazines-Rifle-Magazines/c17_65/p3857/US-PALM-AK30-Magazine-Black/product_info.html

Those things look like they would take a beating. I like the metal latch cage.

I'd still stick to foreign mags for a while until those things have a chance to prove themselves.

They look pretty baller, but give them 6 months.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Kommienzuspadt posted:

yeah. honestly there can be a lot of value in learning how to use a firearm offensively but I would start with "realistic scenarios" first. I.E. get a CHL, a carry pistol of your choice, and then start doing IDPA. that is a skill that you are far more likely to need to know than how to engage multiple targets with an AK in the open.

and that said, the chances of you ever needing to use a firearm on another human being are mercifully very low.

ya but honestly at 30 bucks a pop youre better off with the 10 dollar romie surplus ones. i really can't see the advantage they bring as being worth 20 bucks more.

Shoot brown bear. It's what AKs crave.

I agree with all of this.

The room clearing and combat style rifle drills are really loving cool and a blast to learn. You aren't going to learn dick just loving around on the range, though. If that's your style, start hitting the schools. Suarez International, Tactical Response, Magpul Dynamics, etc. The classes are pricey, but if combat shooting is your bag, you will have the time of your life.

I also say stick to steel mags, or at least the Bulgy plastic ones if you're really trying to save weight.

Also the ribs on the back of a lot of steel mags loving sucks.

Wolf and Brown Bear are your friend, dude. Buy a few cans of non-chlorinated brake cleaner and hose the gently caress out of your receiver, bolt, gas tube, and barrel when you're done shooting. That will clear out most of the gunk with very little work.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

The main thing to stay away from on the AK when it comes to Magpul drills is the safety masturbation. It works on an AR due to the switch being right by your thumb. On an AK it will drastically slow you down. As long as you follow the 4 rules, it's unnecessary anyway.

If you're looking for good videos on how to manipulate the AK, looking into things from Gabe Suarez/Suarez International. The guy is crazy as gently caress, but he is a loving AK guru.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hi20TI_jA

This is pretty close to what you're aiming for in an AK speed reload.

A couple things, though.

There's no reason to rack the bolt first. He's making sure the gun is empty, but there's no real reason to do that. If you feel you're close to the end of a mag and get a clip, just swap mags.

Don't hold the magazine. It will slow your shooting down. You have less control over the gun. You won't manage recoil as efficiently and you'll find it harder to transition between targets.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

AntiTank posted:

Yeah, but dropping mags is stupid. Put them in your pouches/inside your shirt.

No, not really.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

parkieus posted:

Hey guys, I was wondering what your opinions were on what they call the "Iraqi Reload"? It involves charging the weapon to the back position with your right hand, maintaining grip with your right hand and keeping it on your chest by backwards pressure from the charging hand, you reach for a mag, and do a standard drop and lock, then release the handle with your charging hand which loads the weapon to ready fire.

I have a Youtube video of it for clarification.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvZwkv_NUmU&feature=related

Personally I prefer it the a regular reach around, but if you are on the move or in certain cover situations I doubt it would be superior to the regular method.

also,
lol at the marine at the end of the video.

Eh, it's not speeding you up by much, and it's decreasing the amount of control you have of your gun. Seems like an easy way to drop your rifle and turn that 3 second reload into a 15 second reload.

I tend to point my gun upward sort of Magpul style when I reload, so reaching under it is no big deal at all.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

There's not much to it.

Pull the rifle hard into your shoulder with both hands. Both hands should be applying pressure rearward on the gun.

Actually, shoulder is the wrong word. It should be on your chest, clear of your shoulder and arm completely.

Square up your stance. You're not shooting a bolt action rifle with a scope. You're shooting a stripped down assault rifle. Face the target, don't blade.

Keep up on the balls of your feet. Knees bent, lean into the rifle. Pop your rear end out a little.

Plant your cheek firmly on that stock. Don't be scared of the gun. Hold it right and recoil is not an issue.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Gay Black Fascist posted:

Quick question with regards to compliance parts on an AK, should I get the single or two stage KVAR trigger? I am thinking two stage but I like input. Also, what is a good pistol grip, should I just get a standard AK one or are the more ergonomic ones that much better?

I'd wait on the US Palm grip coming out soon.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Black Stormy posted:

What base should I start with if I wanted to recreate The Rat's AK? I know his was a Lancaster, but I recall problems with it.

The only problem was with the dust cover. Just needed some metal trimmed off.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Uncle Caveman posted:

Dealing with Century may be a different story, but iirc the people who got mis-barreled Tantals from ClassicArms had good luck in getting them exchanged.

*Bulgarian polymer being the notable exception. The non-transparent Polish Radom mags are supposedly good, too.

The US Palm mags are supposedly pretty drat nice, too. Expensive, though.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

parkieus posted:

Hey guys!

Quick question for the guru's. On the top plate/dust cover on my ak47, the push button to release it from the frame requires me to push it in with a pin or other small punch like object. Obviously this shouldn't be. I called DPH and they said that it probably had to do with the filing on the release attached to the spring.

Is it worth sending it out in the mail for that? or should I just get them to send me a new spring assembly?

Regardless they are going to take care of it for me, I just wondered if it was worth the shipping there and back if I can fix it with a 15.00 part.

I can post a video if this is not descriptive enough.

Thanks guys!

Is it super tight, or like just barely sticking out, or what?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Fat Ogre posted:

To be honest I've never heard anything but bitching about Lancaster.

Though why anyone with money to buy an AK isn't sinking it into Saigas or Arsenal Bulgarian AKs I'll never know.

Have enough for a WASR? Buy an unconverted Saiga.
Have enough for a AK74? Buy a Saiga 5.45.
Have $600-700 for an AK? Buy an Saiga SGL21 NOW!
Have more than that? Stick with Arsenal, Saiga SGLs or Tromix if you can find em.

For AKs they are top notch. period. end. of. story.

Because WASRs work great and are accurate enough. You also don't have to monkey gently caress around with them to get them to take standard parts.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Boogabu posted:

And maybe holding it properly would help just a tad when he empties the whole magazine in one burst.

I probably wouldn't want to get any further around that corner than I had to, either.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Fat Ogre posted:

Been there, scooped up 2 of em

Beige carpet krew!

As for WASRs being a cheap AK, I had to put about 100 bucks in to mine to get the drat thing to work correctly (the AK on the bottom is the WASR before I sold it). I had to replace the piston, bolt, and bolt carrier to get it to shoot more than 5 rounds without jamming up, put on a non piece of poo poo slant brake, and completely replace the trigger group to eliminate trigger slap. I always had mag wobble and I chose the tightest fitting non canted sights WASR I found for $360 back in October of 2007. I eventually updated it with some nicer furniture and a 74 style brake.

A Saiga works out of the box unconverted (converting it is a waste of time just get an SGL if you want a real AK, it costs the same as converting). If you just want a bullet hose, for the same price or less get a Saiga 7.62x39 or an SKS before a WASR. There are after market mags that work well for both and unless you just gotta have the pistol grip.

Basically I went the cheap WASR route and then learned and went the Saiga-SGL route. I sold the WASR for $420ish and used the cash to buy another SGL for $500 during the most awesome AK47 sale ever.

You get what you pay for, when you buy cheap guns.

Mine has run just fine with no problems at all and I haven't had to buy a single part for it yet.

Just because you had problems doesn't mean the entire line is junk. There are thousands of WASRs out there that run just fine.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Boogabu posted:

There's a proper way to pie a corner without resorting to holding your weapon away from your body while maximizing the wall's concealment.

EDIT: I know that's a paintball site, but it's a sound technique that's taught in MOUT training.

I know this.

However, that guy in the picture very likely has no training at all. I bet he also has no internet access and no interest at all in guns. In fact, I bet he worked in a factory or field most of his life. Then he grabbed a gun, probably off a government troop he helped beat down. Now he's doing his best to shoot at government troops without being shot himself.

It's cute how you think someone should use worry about using proper tactics when he probably can't afford to feed his family and has had no formal education.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Boogabu posted:

Holy crap! Get more annoyed then! I saw someone hold an AK the way my mom does wearing a rag covering his face ("I'm a serious terrist guys") and thought it was funny.

Sue me.

I know this is hard for you, but could you do us all a favor and just grow up a little?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

I would think with a mark like that they're probably hitting the dust cover on the way out

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

infrared35 posted:

Are Chinese mags the only ones that don't have the flange on the back? My first AK was a Norinco so I assumed all mags were like that. And every one I've had since has had that nasty-rear end metal flap. It drives me crazy.

Yeah I HAAAAAAAAAATE the ridge on the back. It's loving awful if you're not wearing gloves.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Propagandalf posted:

PSO or POSP are pretty good options for keepin' it real. Western optics on an AK gets pretty high marks for borderline Tacticlolery anyways.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com has a good selection, but their prices suck and they have frequent shipping delays as they are direct-from-the-motherland importers. You can occasionally find better deals (than Kalinka) on ebay if you have the time to wait. I WILL have an Obzor on my SGL-21 before the end of the year, one way or another!

I love how you think squeezing all the accuracy you can out of a platform is "Tacticlolery"

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

You're so wrong it's almost cute you keep on believing it

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Pinbacker posted:

I let my brother and his friend borrow my newly converted saiga with a tapco g2 trigger over the weekend and they freaked out because his friend fired off a four round burst, and they didn't know what was going on. Evidently his friend by habit pulls the trigger very slowly and holds it in place as soon as the shot goes off.

You're supposed to hold the trigger while the gun shoots and afterward. Then you let the trigger out until it resets, and pull again.

Your brother's buddy has good shooting habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

ShaiHulud posted:

I don't know what Tantal charges for his, but this runs on AA batteries. I'm tempted to get one just for the hell of it, but the BP-02 low profile weaver mount ($40) + whatever works fine for me.

For $200? Really?

Why wouldn't you just save another $100 and buy a used Aimpoint that is superior in every possible way?