Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJM8asnj6JY

Ta-daaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Not necessarily directed at BaronVonBigmeat, but Classic has the M72 for $580 - I love mine that I got for $650. This is the RPK to get.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah, if the AES-10B comes back down to the ~$500 range, I'd probably pick one up.

What are the design differences between a real RPK and an original M72?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Awesome rundown, thank you.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I usually run my boresnake a couple of times. If I'm feeling like it, I'll clean the piston with a couple of patches, but that's about it.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

We need an "It is a WASR" emote.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Wass-er?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I shoulda taken pictures of the state of my Spike's AR pistol. But I didn't want to get my camera filthy. Goddamn thing took three hours to detail clean.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

How were you cleaning it?

Q-tips, brass brush, patches and hoppes 9, all as needed and appropriate. I got it used and am pretty sure it was never cleaned by the previous owner. Has a krinkov style flash hider that I was able to get off, with a solid ring of carbon about 1.5mm thick.

And you know how if you put a finger with some Hoppes on it into a chamber after putting a couple hundred rounds through it, and it comes out sorta dirty, but you can still see your skin underneath? Solid black on this one. I basically took the thing apart as far as I could without completely disassembling the upper and the lower.

May have taken that long because it was the first time I have ever detail stripped an AR format gun to that level.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Well, plus you've gotta get the pistol rear trunnion off, then get a stock trunnion in place.

Do those ACE adapters work for that?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Mishaco posted:

Aparently, the sound of an AK bolt being charged is the auditory equalovant of the smell of baking cookies, to intruders?

All I know is I get hungry when I hear an AK cycle.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Miso Beno posted:

I would so have a gold plated Drako.

I'd be OK with that too. If you've got a gold plated draco, though, you've gotta SBR it.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Bogon posted:

I would be willing to buy one But are the bolt carrier on a Saiga 12 different a normal WASR? I know that the operating rod is a whole different setup to a WASR Gas Piston.

Very different, cuts to support the large bolt needed for the 12ga shells, etc.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Oh boy, classic has hard chromed Dracos now!

I want to ask them to hard chrome a C93. Not to buy it, just to... see it.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 9, 2010

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

ibntumart posted:

If I were to buy a Saiga IZ-240, how hard would it be to convert to an AK74? Would this just be a question of switching out the stock and adding a pistol grip and heat shield? Do I need to mess with the guts of the rifle at all, and if so, would I be better off letting a gunsmith do it or it this a DIY project?

You'll be looking at doing a trigger conversion, and some additional fuckery to make it take standard mags. If you're interested in it as a project, go for it, if you're interested in it as a way to get a cheap AK74, you should probably be looking elsewhere.

You'll notice that the trigger on stock Saigas is waaay further back than it is on normal AK pattern rifles, that's so they can get away with sporting importation. You knock the old trigger guard off, knock out the pins holding the original trigger group, then install a new trigger group in the proper position. I've never done any Saiga rifle specific work, so I'm more hazy on the mag conversion process.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

You will need to drill out otherwise cut the rivets used to hold the original trigger group in place, which is a bit of a pain in the rear end, but is doable, especially if you have a drill press.

This may look daunting at first, but it isn't *that* bad. http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

Couple things to keep in mind:
One: If you're adding a pistol grip, which you will, doing a conversion, you've created an assault weapon, according to California, if you don't do the whole bullet button/radlock whatever. At least it looks that way according to http://www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

quote:

A semiautomatic centerfire rifle capable of accepting detachable magazines and any of:

▪ a pistol grip protruding conspicuously below the weapon’s action
Two: Be mindful of 922r. Once you start messing with conversion, you'll need to have foreign parts count under ten.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Mishaco posted:

Saigas in 7.62x39 come in either a 20" barrel or a 16" barrel. Other minor variations exist but they aren't orderable/designated by a number.

The agent from the ATF left a couple of hours ago....

Looks like Ozark Bears Arms is going into business in 3 to 4 weeks. Now goons, how about that logo? I think
Brown Bear + Ooshanka + sunglasses + AK47 won out last time as the prefer choice. I just need to get some ink stamps made up for that and maybe a graphic for my upcoming website.

Also i want to give a warning to any future PSL-54 buyers. Century and TGI have stopped selling only new condition serial matching romanian guns and now some of their rifles are either built on US receivers and/or are not serial matching parts. Even worse, looks like some times they are coming in having been built from used parts.
This could really damage the PSL market , too early to say right now. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Congratulations!

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

Wow, I had no idea PPS-43 pistols existed. I thought it would be as hard to get a semi-auto one as a semi-auto PPSh. How common are they?

They're just bringing these ones in now, they're all Polish new/unissued parts. Misha has'em listed in the classifieds thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3109845&pagenumber=28#post372338688

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Prince of Dicks posted:

Well commie made sounds cool and all, but it doesn't particularly matter. I just don't want to go down in quality (I know little about either). What's your phone or email?

Mishaco posted:

my e-mail is:

mishkaco at yahoo

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Well, as spankmeister says, it is real, but it is also basically a troll.

They don't work. I hear you can only ever get about five rounds out of one before it jams up solid.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Are there any cheap RPK-74 semi-auto builds out there? I see the kits alone run about a grand, and gunbroker didn't show me anything.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Fffffffuuuuuuuuuck. I don't know if I can afford $1100 right now, gotta scramble around.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Mishaco posted:

too many pictures, not enough captions!!!

yeah, i am being a whiny blind bastard....deal with it, I'm the OP...

Everybody is posting shorty AK Krinkovs of various calibers and sorts of optics attached. Have to say they're pretty awesome.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Paging Waffen Werks, Waffen Werks please.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Mishaco posted:

I think its about time some one does a new build of AK..like a true AMD-63 or maybe a Polish WZ.96? Hmm why not just import some of the newer Polish rifles as semi-auto onlies like they do with wASR-10s and SLR-107s? Also, a subgun carbine in 9x18 makarov would be great..sigh.

If the helical mag works out, I'd love to see a Bizon build like ShaiHulud's, but on a larger production scale.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Holding my new gun.
Thirty rounds, steel magazine.
I work the bolt hard.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Lono19 posted:

Is there a down side to cleaning my Saiga 7.62x39 (or any rifle) with a three in one clean, lubricate, preserve VS keeping the cleaning steps separated? I've been told the 3 in 1's work as they should, but I feel like I'm taking a shortcut...

For light cleaning, CLP and the like is fine, but it doesn't do any of its jobs particularly well, I believe is the general consensus. If you've had a high round count day, or only clean every six months or something, use individual components to clean (Hoppes 9, oil, lithium lube, etc).

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Backup stock, in case your stock breaks.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I love my M72 too, does yours have a random serial number on the stock too?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

My room mate pronounces quesadilla "kay-so-dila", instead of "kay-sa-deya". She grew up in Arizona.

I choose to believe she does it to screw with my head.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The line between intialisms (H.I.V., F.B.I., S.L.R., anything where you pronounce the individual letters), and acronyms (A.I.D.S., I.C.E., W.A.S.R., anything where the initials form a pronounceable word) is really murky. Generally, for a set of initials to be pronounced as an acronym, it can't violate the phonotactic (what sounds can go together) rules of the host language. There is a competing goal to keep it to as few syllables as possible.

When a set of initials has an incompatible string of consonants in it, it'll usually become an initialism instead of an acronym. If you really wanted to pronounce "S.L.R.", you'd probably come up with "slur" as the pronunciation, but it sounds... awkward. There's no good way to pronounce "F.B.I." in English, and "H.I.V." could sound like "give" with an h, or "hive", it's hard to nail down a pronunciation.

Basically if you can correlate the set of characters to either an existing word in the language, or a single pronunciation that sounds "good" to you, you'll probably use that character set as an acronym and not an initialism.

From a linguistics perspective, this is just another instance where ideolects differ, since what sounds "good" and "valid" to one person won't to another.

Edit:
Sometimes they legitimately can be both, see "SQL" - pronounced both "es que el" or "sequel"

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 27, 2010

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Kushnapup is vaporware - been in "pre-order" stage for years now.

Mention it on the saiga-12 forums, you'll get a stream of pissed off people.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Mishaco posted:

So what exactly is that contraption?

Also, i forgot to say earlier that yesterday i put another WASR-10 in the mail. Some goon will be receiving his very own Romie AK this week , all nice and grasey, just how it should be!

Drop in bullpup stock for the unconverted saiga 12.

I actually got an email from them today, after the conversation in here happened, saying something to the effect of "We're nearly there", so who knows? Also how did they know we were talking about them?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Five? Wow. And they just used regular WASR10s, not FA versions? Interesting.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

widefault posted:

Any opinions on the Timbersmith(*cough*Tapco*cough*) stock sets? Street price seems to be ~$110, so a bit cheaper than Ironwood for something that's also 922r compliant.

Are the pictures on their front page..... photoshopped? That's probably a bad sign.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The spring for my BHO on my Saiga 12 came loose and hosed everything up, to the point that I couldn't close the bolt, so I couldn't get the dustcover or recoild spring or anything out. It required an hour or so of delicate prodding to get the BHO to go back where it was supposed to. Once that happened, the spring was still off, meaning if I used the BHO, I had to pick at the tab to get it to come down.
Well, after another 30 minutes with a twist tie around the end of the spring arms and some deft maneuvering, everything is back functioning as it should.
I think what happened was the trigger spring got moved over a bit too far, allowing the BHO to move around and jam everything.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

gah-leeuhl, I think?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

"Good times with friends"

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think that is the one I was thinking of. Wasn't there a picture of a box of happy-looking guns with that as a caption?

Various happy little ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Hey AK nerds, AIM has some bakelite 45 round 5.45 mags for $70 a piece. If I had a 5.45, I'd get one.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK74R45&groupid=15

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 17, 2010