Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD

What do I need to get to fix a dustcover that falls off during firing? I think it has to do with the spring that keeps pressure on the latch. This would be for some kind of x39 variant though I am not sure of its origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD

Miso Beno posted:

NOT CORRECT

If it looks like this you're doing it loving wrong.

If that's all correct, then your dust cover is probably rubbing against the bolt carrier.

I think I'm doing it loving wrong. I think the part under the rear sight is crimped so I will need to fix that a bit to get it to fit in all the way. Thanks for the help and the super awesome photos!

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD

Miso Beno posted:

You should take a photo of where you think it might be damaged with and without the dust cover in place.

It's not my AK but my friend's so I will have to visit him to check it out. I love being the goto guy for gun help and I owe it all to TFR . Thanks guys!

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD

Death of Chivalry posted:

What do I need to get to fix a dustcover that falls off during firing? I think it has to do with the spring that keeps pressure on the latch. This would be for some kind of x39 variant though I am not sure of its origin.

Well I fixed this today. The dustcover latch seemed to bind up inside the dovetail that it sits inside. The AK is a horribly mismatched Franken-AK that is the kind of ugly only a mother could love. I cleaned out the dovetail on top of the trunnion and it was still binding. The part that slides into the dovetail would bind about half way so I removed a small amount of material with a file from the part that is attached to the spring.

The latch started to slide in the dovetail much easier but now the spring didn't have enough tension in it to push the latch all the way back. I cut an 1.5" piece of metal rod and popped it into the bolt carrier and then popped the spring in. It seems to fit a lot better now. The end result is the dustcover no longer is able to be pulled off unless you use the little push button.

The latch still doesn't stick out as far as in Miso beno's photos but at least it will stay put during firing.

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD

Miso Beno posted:

I'm not too keen on your spacer idea, I have some replacement AK parts including a whole new recoil assembly if you're interested.

I know the spacer is a pretty ghetto fix but it seems to do the trick. Aside from it falling out during cleaning I can't really see how it would cause any problems. This guy is insanely cheap too so it is right in his price range (free).

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD

Mishaco posted:

The problem with the spacer idea is repeated impacts and what it will do to everything. It could cause damage .

That is a very good point Mishaco. Anyone know what type of metal the bolt carrier is made out of? I think I could probably match it.

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD

Does anyone have a photo of that one goon's sweet hunting Saiga? I believe it is in 308 and is very minimalistic. It just has a scope on it and I think a slip on cheek piece ammo holder too maybe. I am trying to help another goon with some ideas on a gun to buy.

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD

I think that's it! Do you have any other pics or more info on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD

Uncle Caveman posted:

Thats the one. I like the simplicity of it.

Death of Chivalry fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 20, 2010