Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Excellent thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Mishaco posted:

Really cleaning an AK is a breeze if you are using non-corrosive ammunition. Just clean the barrel out, and also the bolt and parts of the carrier that get dirty. Its important to note that the internals of an AK require next to no oil. They like running dry, though white lithium is some times a good thing if your rifle is a bit sticky.

If you are using corrosive, Cyrano's guide to cleaning milsurp is great. On an AK though also remember to remove teh muzzle device and clean it and the threads good. Also remove the gastube and clean it out. Also cleaning the gasport well. I just advise if you can get Wolf ammo in your area, pay the extra couple of bucks and shoot that if you have a high-end AK like an Arsenal. Now if you just have a WASR or TGI truck gun..whatever. Go for it.

Again, next go around, i will put up a more complete cleaning guide, or a link to one.

Keep the suggestions coming! I want the OP to be as complete as can be.
The cheapest non-corrosive I can find is roughly twice the price of the cheapest Russian 7N6 corrosive. Is any ammo "more" corrosive than others?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

king of the bongo posted:

I need to sit down and take some pictures but I have been running my slr105 through a tin of surplus (about 800 or so through it in the past couple months.) and have yet to clean it. Gas tube is a bit orange and the brake is a bit tight to remove (still able to just unscrew with hands). Rest of the gun is pretty clean and not a single issue so far. I know it might be bad but I am pretty curious about how bad I can get it before boiling a pot of water and breaking out the brushes.

This is one of the many reasons I want to get a set of poly plum furniture so that it will handle hot water and such.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Where is the best buy in a set of 1.25" longer so called "NATO length" plum US made AK furniture for my stamped receiver?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

ShaiHulud posted:

DPHArms has full sets for $110. If you just need the longer buttstock and already have plum handguards, Dinzag Arms has NATO buttstocks for $60 with free shipping until the end of the 2009 - coupon code 'BRAINS'.

drat I was hoping for lower than this.
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/m/k-var/p/k-var-plum-stock-set-for-ak-47-74-akpsw/manufacturers_id/113/products_id/2923?SID

oh well, there is this thing going on in a thread here:
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=118522

$44.99

Click here for the full 800x502 image.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

I have a kvar nato length black buttstock that I am not using from my arsenal. I am using the rest of the furniture so it is the black buttstock only. If you end up not finding anything in your budget hit me up. Maybe we can trade something or figure out a decent price for it.

e:the only place I have seen full kvar/ US marked poly furniture for cheap has been on the akforum classifieds and most of it is warsaw length

The furniture I have now looks like this:
http://www.outlawperformance.com/images/gunstuff/AK-74/

I think I will pay the extra money at this point because I so much want it to look like this:

I will probably trade off this old furniture to someone who wants to sand/strip/refinish the old stuff.

djs622 posted:

I don't think this really deserves its own post, but I have a question about the whole "The AK has killed more people than any other gun in history" that you hear on the history/military channel/mtv documentaries.

Is there any academic paper that supports this? How is this tabulated? I'm a history buff, but I'm not a full time academic so I don't really have access or maybe the right amount of info, but where is this ranking coming from?

The ak-involved war death toll is (this is really ball-parked): 1 million s.vietnamese in the vietnam war, maybe another million in the afghan conflict, and figure maybe another 2 million in the various dirt ball african conflicts (sierra leone, congo, angola, somalia, rhodesia, etc). Then add maybe .5 million from eastern europe and you're only at 4.5 million.

These are gross figures that don't incorporate the deaths from tanks, artillery, mines, machine guns, and other explosives. So you're only taking a fraction of that 4.5 million.

I don't see how this could compare to say, the mauser k98, which was involved in two world wars. This is including both ww1 and 2's russian front, where over 40 million russians died. Even if only 10% of those deaths came from mausers, you're already past the Ak's total. Then add the millions of french and british and take a small fraction of that.

*though it should be noted that a lot of the Russian civilian deaths were from disease and starvation.

I haven't heard the claim that is is such a deadly weapon. I hear things like it being the most widely distributed, or most engaged in conflict, but not most deaths.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

cool info on just every kind of 5.45x39 mag:
http://home.comcast.net/~shooter2_indy/74mags.html

Goob posted:

Posting my Yugo underfolder build from back when parts kits were dirt cheap and plentiful. I got the Fleur-de-lis magazine in a batch of mags from a Cheaper-than-Dirt buy. The AK is a screw build on a NoDak Spud receiver. Do people even do screw builds anymore?

Sorry for the poo poo photography.

Building an AK wasn't any cheaper than buying one pre-made, but it sure was fun to do.
Uh, that mag is an awesome piece of Yugoslavian history mixed with modern arms, never let it go! Although not nearly as rare as a few other types, they are uncommon enough to sell for around $75-$80 to magazine collectors and guys with Yugo AK's that want them to be special.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Uncle Caveman posted:

Mazel tov!

This brought me to tears.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Yeah, Lancasters, ask The_Rat about his recent Lancaster adventure.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

I misread the thread title:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

cool article:
http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B2Pzikk_x3PKNmYwYjRkOGEtYTE4Ni00MTcwLThlMTItMWY4NWYxYjYyOGJi&hl=en

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Miso Beno posted:

If you wanna go the sharkfin/donkey dick route. Here's some Sharkfinbait.

cheaper (no hardware)
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/stkaka12.aspx

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

These guys at The AK Forum used citru-strip and other stuff on their black Bulgy AK-74 mags and found they were painted black over a bakelitey plum color:

OK-Grendel posted:

mrtoren posted:

OK-Grendel posted:

I think at least two of those magazines are plum under the black paint. Haven't shot it yet, because I had to work all evening, and my ammo doesn't come in until Thursday. Not sure what I'm going to do for new furniture. Haven't made up my mind between K-Var Plum or Iron Wood Design's wood.

How can you tell they're plum? I'd love to have a plum magazine or two when mine come in, but I dont want to strip the paint and find out I'm wrong.

Because they have some scratches and underneath the scrathes looks to be a purpleish color. But, maybe I'm just seeing things.

Then this guy responds:

supadupamikey posted:

I got 4 of the ak74 mags from TGI, and 4 of the surplus comm-bloc ak74 mags from aimsurplus. they looked identical (to this noob anyways) and all 8 had a white sticker that said "made in bulgaria". i used citristrip on them and like 7 of the 8 came out plum, and the other one was like a flat black. i used citristrip 3 separate times and washed/soaked/scrubbed/ in hot soapy water, as well as using acetone and mineral spirits and couldn't get all of the paint off. i ended up just saying screw it and put them back together.

here are the mags after the first coat of citristrip:

this mag cleaned up the best (i wish all 8 cleaned up that well):

as you can see, i refinished my wood furniture, but i'm actually thinking about swapping it out for k-var furniture, as it'll cost about the same for a set of k-var furniture as buying us-made followers and floorplates for the 8 mags i bought.

mind blowing

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 18, 2010

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

DkHelmet posted:

Sweet Jeebus, I just did this my two two ugly black "Made in Bulgaria" that I got from AIM yesterday, and now I have two plum magazines. loving awesome.

This is awesome.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

This on the TGI "truck gun" AK-74 like the one I bought. They sold out and people are still wanting them and others who got them are wanting 2nd and 3rd's to buy. From the AK Forum.

TGI posted:

Saleen posted:

Any time line on when more of these truck guns will be available?

Saleen

As we said several times there will be no more. We are no longer manufacturing rifles, including 922r conversions to ISD sporting rifles (SSR-85). We will only be importing C&R type surplus plus ammo and militaria. Thanks,

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Robokraut posted:

Hells Yeah.

If you're going to be rocking the AK with a UTG rail, it needs to at least look the way that John Moses Browning originally intended.

gently caress yeah!

infrared35 posted:

I told you the United States China was responsible for all the world's weapon proliferation issues.
fixed

Oh also chek this out. K-var is claiming to be selling the last of the milled Arsenal AK's. Selling them for a song too!
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17006

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

crosspost from deals thread:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

wowww, that wood looks like it has some serious possibilities to be wonderful.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Now for sale at Kvar
http://www.arsenalinc.com/aks-74u.htm

limited run

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Since they only made like 20 of them, I am guessing the rule of price "if you gotta ask" applies?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

spankmeister posted:

That looks pretty useful, too bad it's only for Hogue grips.

I can't quite explain it, but the most common suggested and used grip for custom builds on the ak forum is that Hogue. They seem to love that f'ing thing.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

crossposting from deals thread

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Mishaco posted:

Rear loading, not front.

good price, but not the best I've seen.

I saw that right after I posted it and was like, oh well, lets see who says something.

Yes rear loading, not front loading.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

ShaiHulud posted:

AKS-74U? K-VAR has this 5.56 thing that might suit your needs. Arsenal occasionally produces a 5.45 model in limited runs. Intact parts kits are around $800 (when you can find them) + barrel + receiver flat + tools + SBR tax, so a correct build isn't cheap even if you DIY.

K-VAR puts the arse in arsenal.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

mischief posted:

After a long and bewildering attempt at buying an 870 Police from Southern Ohio Guns I finally gave up and bought one of the WASR-2's Centerfire is selling. This gun is awesome, with unfinished wood that I will probably hit with some BLO.

Stay awesome, Mischaco!

Edit: How does one go about removing a welded on muzzle nut from an AK? I have a 74 style brake I want to put on the gun and have no idea how to get this nut off.

If you have a dremel you use this:

and barely cut through the weld in just a couple seconds, just the weld itself.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

from deals thread

B4Ctom1 posted:

Buy TWO ak drums at $69.99 each from centerfire and get free shipping
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/drum-ak-c.aspx

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Fat Ogre posted:

For everyone talking about people making AK47s in caves etc I suggest you buy and read this.

There is an amazing article in there discussing the AK47s built in Afghanistan and Pakistan in sweatshops and garages etc.

Long story short they are piles of poo poo and DO NOT work. They are horrible crappy copies and work about as well as you'd expect an gun made in the back of some rear end in a top hat's car would work.

For example they do a close up shot of the rear sight leaf and on a normal AK the lines are straight and evenly spaced because they are loving gun sights. The copies are usually just drawn on and engraved out by hand so they are crooked, slanted and at arbitrary distances apart.

The receiver pins are usually just nails that have been peened flat to look like actual receiver pins.

They also hammer in dimples to make the gun look more authentic as well as make up Cyrillic letters to make it look more 'Russian'.

They are jam-tastic pieces of poo poo and the locals know this. That is why they sell for like $25 a pop. Think of knives and swords made in Pakistan etc and realize this is the level of quality going into most of these home brew gun creations.

The reason people buy them over there is because it looks and feels like an actual AK47. So you can point your green taped wrapped AK at people and show them how big your balls are so they don't raid your town or village etc.

The article is also fascinating because it talks about how so many of the AKs out there are now essentially smooth bore because they have been in constant use since the 1950s and 1960s that the grooves in the barrel are basically gone.

On some other notes I've held the IOinc AKs and holy crap their polymer stocks feel cheap as poo poo. Like almost like a plastic toy material. Tapco is a huge step up over whatever crap they are using.
Good to know about the IO stocks.

Here is a good video (you have probably already seen) of them making them in Darra and even shooting near the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HujjuvPiUj4

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Anyone know why there are no affordable RPK-74 or affordable long barreled 5.45x39 guns at all?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Mishaco posted:

Century has a new AK-74 bullpup with a 1913 rail ontop..i am now going to have to get one and mount an a3 carry handle on it just..because...also only shoot the gun with the 45 rd RPK-74 mags. I should getto-carve 'VEPR" into the side too.

What is it called so I can see what it looks like?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

all AK family pic

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Naramyth posted:

I would go down the same rabbit hole.

want

I think that if they would have started with a russian full stocked sidefolder like this..

it would be the perfect gun.

Liam Acerbus posted:

I did the same thing not too long ago. It looks like we even have the exact same model sight.

It looks a tiny bit different than this now that I've added a Romanian pistol grip.

I really like this setup because it appears the highest yield most easily reversed type of improvement.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

crosspost from deals thread

B4Ctom1 posted:

75 rd AK47 drums $69.99 free shipping
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/drum-ak-c.aspx

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

QuarkMartial posted:

Does anyone make a 10 round steel AK mag? I looked on MidwayUSA earlier since I was placing an order with them, but all I saw were lovely Tapco and Promag polymer ones. I'd like one just for the novelty of it if it wasn't too expensive (5 to 15 bucks)

E: Even a 5 round one would be kinda neat. It's for my AES10b, if that matters.

AES10b you say?

also

cross posting from deals thread

B4Ctom1 posted:

Someone post an awesome deal for a plum NATO length US made stock set for an AK please.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

This looks promising, 30mm
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42799/sku=100007038/Product/AK_30MM_MOUNT

QuarkMartial posted:

Remember way back when you and I first bought these? Years ago?

I sold it then rebought it back. Same gun! Same (fiscally irresponsible) decision!

How's that stock handle? Any good for offhand shooting?

I still haven't fired it. I decided to "un" rice it and put it back to the way it was. Im going to go load up the drums and a couple mags and try to "smoke the black off of it".

I havent fired my Bulgy AK 74 either, bought some 750 rds 5.45 from MGS, so soon.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 13, 2011

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

If any of you have any graphics arts capabilities at all, then I recommend you get your rear end to this thread for your free AK-74
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157310

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

28_days posted:

For those of us that aren't members, what's the gist?

Mortal Sword pretty much covered it a couple posts up.

What he is asking people to make is pretty much this:

Bonesteel Arms LLC posted:

Now for what I am looking for.
I would like the logo to consist of a cyborg skull, I envision a skull with a steel plate riveted over the upper left third of the skull with a robotic eye(okay its cheesy but it goes with the name). Under the skull I would like crossed rifles, a folding stock vz58, and an ar15 variant, probably along the lines of a colt 723. This is just an outline feel free to use your creativity.

basically the logo version of homer's concept car

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 1, 2011

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

freestyl posted:

I had originally planned to get a Draco and go the SBR route but decided to go with something else.

Picked up a Century AK-74, now time to stock up on 5.45x39 and swap the furniture

I am jealous of your scope mount. My Bulgarian doesn't have one. Oh well, at least it has a real chrome lined barrel

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

In mother russia.. oh gently caress that poo poo just watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsVPlVIKdco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

SadWhaleFamily posted:

I do not like you very much right now.

It is great to be showered with so much affection.