Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

mishaco this thread loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Mishaco posted:

Sormus , well at least here in USA they get second lives as civie legal semi-autos or as full-auto post-dealer samples.

As for the SGL-31...i like mine. Its the nicest 5.45 i own and aside from having a folding stock and go-fast parts, its pretty close to the current Russian military issue.

I got to fire a full auto one in 2005 while in Russia and the SGL-31 feels a lot like it.

Also interesting note. Izhmash is marketing their quad-stack 5.45x39 magazines quite heavily now. Maybe eventually some will make it over here to the USA?

Here is an extremely detailed AK-74 mag guide that I tripped over online. maybe some of it could be useful to the op?

http://home.comcast.net/~shooter2_indy/ak74_mag_guide.html

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Uncle Caveman posted:

How exactly does the quad-stack mag work? I can't wrap my brain around it.

it's effectively 2 double stacks side by side. they are separated in the middle iirc.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

how do you correct a canted FSB? i think mine is just a smidge canted but it would be nice to fix,

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

ShaiHulud posted:

You'll need a good sturdy vice, aluminum vice jaws to avoid scarring the finish, a pair of appropriately sized steel punches (cut one down to about 1/2" in length), some scrap leather, a monkey wrench, 1/8" drill bit, drill, hacksaw, some 1/8" drill rod, and a hammer. Drift the FSB pins out from left to right using the short punch first (you might have to beat on it quite a bit, the shorter shank resists bending until you get it started), soak FSB in Kroil and/or use a propane torch to loosen it, line the jaws of the monkey wrench with leather (an old belt or broken sling works well) and turn the FSB. Once you get it aligned, carefully drill out the holes using the 1/8" drill bit and install two new drill rod retaining pins hacksawed to the correct length.

If the adjustment is minor, some recommend simply heating the FSB with a torch, placing a piece of brass or aluminum against the FSB to protect it, and giving it a solid whack with a hammer. This apparently deforms the pins without the need to remove them first. I haven't attempted this method, but the first procedure I described isn't too difficult.

OK. as it stands the front sight is more or less on target but the drum is as far to the right as it will go, so it looks kinda goofy - hence why it's less than essential. maybe i'll do it when i have more time kicking around or something.

thanks for describing the procedure though, that is helpful should I get up the energy to get it done.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Mishaco posted:

ahhhh, the Force I do use.
Tells me, colour of stock, it does

lol i love you

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Action Jesus posted:

There was some discussion over on Arfcom of drilling and threading the existing back plate and putting the ACE folding mechanism right on that, it appears the ACE folder above may have been adapted that way. Provided you knew how to do some basic drilling and tapping it could be an easier job than it seems. Even if you do change out the trunnion for a more conventional AK style one and put a standard stock, I mean that has to be less than $100 in parts if you look around, right? So, for around $650 you could have a registered SBR like the top most picture in my last post-- a pretty handy looking little rifle.

thats definitely tempting. i can see myself doing that as a project if they are still around when i get the money and time for it.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Miso Beno posted:

Screw you. You guys are making me want to move to Oregon more and more.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Miso Beno posted:

Dammit I want a Coke you dorkasaurus.

(Don't lose your gun rights down there I'll be a very sad person if you do.)

not until my RIA explodes or experiences a major part failure

down in portland? i think we'll be cool. our mayor is too busy with the interns to worry about guns.

oregon is the bestest, you should come shooting down here again sometime soon.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I should probably buy a new mag so I can confirm whether my Lancaster's 50% fail-to-feed problem is due to the mag they gave me or the prototype rifle

what kind of mag is it? dont even bother with the polymer ones, I only use the romanian surplus 30rders and theyre the poo poo. they come soaked in cosmo and sometimes really rusty on the inside but thats the way that AK mags are meant to be dawg. plus they dont have any of the stupid out of spec mag lips that some of teh aftermarket mags i've used have had.

Miso Beno posted:

I didn't ask because I figured it was $$rape$$.

i would be OK with being raped if it meant i got the 104ur.

unfortunately buying one on my budget is pretty much 100% out of the question.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Uncle Caveman posted:

this is generally true for US aftermarket stuff, but polymer Bulgarian mags are solid.

Wasn't there mention of an AK PMag at one point?

ahh thats true. i guess i meant "non-surplus" really. ATI makes steel mags, for example, and they aren't really worth the money either.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

The Automator posted:

This is gospel for most foreign made guns that A. Mec-Gar doesn't make mags for, or B. do not take AR mags.

basically.

for the life of me i cannot understand why anybody would buy non surplus AK mags, unless they just really, really like cheap injected molded plastic..

I am pretty happy that my parked ATI mags work OK but I certainly won't be buying any more of them when they are the same price or more than surplus european mags.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Miso Beno posted:

DON'T BE TRASH TALKING MY PROMAGS THEYRE THE BEST EVER.

Except when they fall the gently caress apart, fail to feed, flat out don't work, and/or generally cause me to throw them at a wall/

they also look retarded fwiw. nothing makes me feel more queasy than a straight out of the box WASR from century with some hideous ribbed promag monstrosity that still has the mold seam running down the center of the mag.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Miso Beno posted:

You're always catching my ninja edits.

and youre catching mine

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Miso Beno posted:

Oh now you're getting me all hot and bothered about molded seams and pleasure ribs.

Promag and Tapco are the cheap bathroom condoms of the AK mag world.

the original slabsided AK mags are the best .... just like old reusable lambskin condoms

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

ShaiHulud posted:

A range regular decided to buy an AK after shooting mine. The next time I saw him he was showing off his stockpile of tactical coyote-colored Tapco magazines. They were too wide to fit into the magwell without shaving off plastic, so he decided it was easier to dremel his WASR (and the magazine spacer tabs within) than ditch his plastic magazines. He had some gem about 'hurr Commie-made garbage' when he tried one of my mags and noticed that D.D.R. steel surplus mags wobbled in his hosed magwell.

i dont think your friend "gets" AKs.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

ShaiHulud posted:

This guy is just one of many assclown regulars at the range I shoot at most often. He's an officer of the sportsman's club, and unfortunately influences a lot of people into following his path of gun-stupidity. He's so overweight that simply walking leaves him winded, and I think a video of him shooting an action pistol stage will be a fine addition to the gun videos thread.

hahah. one of those. im really glad i found TFR or else I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bothered getting into shooting again because of people like him.

though that said even a few trusted friends of mine who are otherwise very competent/safe/good with firearms repeat stuff like ".223 is a pea shooter" "the sound of a racking shotgun will balh blah blah blah." kind of worrisome

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

daskrolator posted:

Except they come with a lifetime warranty, dimpled receivers, a nice wood finish, and a pretty carrying case.

all of which is like highly unnecessary on an AK (if you buy a good one)

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Miso Beno posted:

A good AK generally has dimpled receivers.

they look nice and help in mag retention a little bit but they work fine without them though.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

daskrolator posted:

Highly unnecessary! I guess you're taking your non-dimpled wasr into combat then!

unnecessary

ummm actually no i'm not taking my non dimpled wasr into combat because i bought it to shoot at paper targets how weird right

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Miso Beno posted:

They also help with receiver strength and magazine wobble is just a little annoying.

sorry to beat a dead horse, but i also just realized that my glock has more mag wobble than my WASR :P

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Miso Beno posted:

Unless your WASR's magazine well is as tight as a button that doesn't even begin make sense.

well my WASR with a loaded mag wobbles only slightly (less than .15" in either direction) whereas my glock with a loaded mag has quite a bit of play in the magwell. both feed and function flawlessly fwiw.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

AntiTank posted:

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

foghorn posted:

The barrel is stamped C.A.I. for Century Arms, the receiver says it was made by Century as well. Nothing else has any manufacture marks, except the muzzle brake (made in USA), the stock (tapco) and the trigger group (tapco as well).

it says made BY century? not imported or aything? my gp wasr -10 i think says soemthing similar but was definitely made in romanian at cugir's plant.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Miso Beno posted:

Man I should redo this when I get home.

lol

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

smax posted:

Long run, you'd probably be wasting money based on ammo prices.

if you reload and/or already have a few other things in .223 it might be worth it though. plus 7.62x39 is a way different round than .223 so it also depends how much you enjoy shooting each.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Miso Beno posted:

I only have MS Paint at work so the Ray Charles glasses look like complete rear end instead of regular old rear end. I shouldn't have wasted my time.

no it actually is quite elegant in a way that pleases me greatly. we can convince mishaco to use that logo i bet.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I don't have anything else in .223 myself, but several of my friends have AR-15s, and it might be easier just to buy a bunch of ammo and pool it when we go shooting.

Another concern is purchasing 7.62x39. I know I'll be able to find .223 at the store, but do they carry 7.62x39? I know I can buy it in bulk so it might not be much of a problem, but it's still a little problematic.

Anyway, I have time to decide. Probably be a few months before I pull the trigger on one or the other.

You won't find 7.62x39 worth paying money for in most brick and mortar places, unless you intend to go hunting with it. 90% of the time what they have is like 15 bucks a box for softpoint or something like that. some places stock wolf/brown bear but it's rare.

if you buy an AK, find the cheapest ammo and buy it in bulk. Brown Bear is my favorite personally and is also some of the cheapest stuff around and if it doesnt work in your AK it's probably broken. online is the best place to get it - i like ammunitiontogo.com personally, but there are plenty of vendors around that stock it. classicarms has a good deal on some brass cased yugo stuff going on right now IIRC.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Mishaco posted:

I should use my TFR tag line some where in my business too. This could be a lot of fun, i hope. I am excited anyway. I've never owned a business before.

you should be excited. you have pretty much every reason to do well esp given the solid reputation you've established here way even before you got your FFL. i cant imagine anybody else I would buy an ak from or pretty much anything else for that matter. goes for g43 as well.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Gay Black Fascist posted:

IIRC it's just the accessory lug, which you probably don't have any use for at all.

what if you want to mount that hilariously large russian weaponlight whose name escapes me at the moment?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Roundboy posted:

but both are listed as having a bayo lug. So its a mystery.

One specifically says that it accepts double stack mags, while this is absent on the other. But they offer to sell me proper 30-40 round mags anyway.

bayo lug != accessory lug. they both have bayo lugs.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 15, 2010

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

stangman posted:

Znich? It doesnt use the acc. lug and it's not really huge so maybe you're thinking of something else.

no, the one i am thinking of is like the znich but larger and is mounted on two locations, not one.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Vorlonesque posted:

Anyway...what sort of accuracy do those SGL's give (in 7.62x39)?

is there really a huge amount of variance in mechanical accuracy between different AKs, excluding hosed up FSBs or whatever?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

ShaiHulud posted:

You could probably fit a big fuckoff maglite inside a GP-30.

!! and then have the trigger act as a pressure switch....

that would be loving sweet.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Mishaco posted:

my e-mail is:

mishkaco at yahoo

How about instead of a light, a ping-pong ball launcher? You could paint them O.D. green too!

maybe a c02-powerlet loaded confetti launcher.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

parkieus posted:

Hey goons.

I just purchased my first rifle about 2 months ago and I went with a DPH ( Snow Camp, NC) AK-47 with Tapco Desert Tan furniture and a Tapco Gen-2 3.5lb trigger on it.

Here is a link to our youtube channel and the second time I shot my AK ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWURYf2o4Jw
We are not pros in any way, shape, or form. We are just trying to build skills.

I wanted to say that this thread is one of the main reasons I went with an AK. Awesome information and a huge expanse of variants on here. Thanks a bunch,
I LOVE my AK.

lovely Pic, but here she is.

lol youre about to get so much poo poo

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

parkieus posted:

What brand muzzle brake do you run?

this is your first rifle, right? why are you going all operator with it? it makes you look pretty silly. just enjoy shooting the drat thing.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Miso Beno posted:

Gotta stop that punishing recoil, huh?

ahem miso you should know that when you go loud in teh woods of eastern PA you need fast follow up shots for engaging tangos in a target rich environment. gotta make sure your primary is GTG.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

parkieus posted:

Well, I wanted the DPH AK-47 because I had met someone at a gun show who worked for the company. And they had one of their "Tactical" Style ones on sale so, I bought it.

I'm a sucker for a deal. Even though it was more than I needed as a beginner.

no, no, i'm not really talking about the gun, I'm talking about your tac vest/mechanix gloves/ run and gun youtube video with epic music and video effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

parkieus posted:

drat, that furniture doesn't look that bad.

it cleans up nicely with a refinish too.