Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Death of Chivalry posted:

What do I need to get to fix a dustcover that falls off during firing? I think it has to do with the spring that keeps pressure on the latch. This would be for some kind of x39 variant though I am not sure of its origin.

Is your dust cover correctly installed? The front of the dust cover sits in the grove on your rear sight block, just above the op rod. Also the dust cover should sit comfortably in it's notch in the rear trunnion and the recoil spring guide should be protruding from the back of the dust cover.

CORRECT

If it looks like this then we have an underlying problem.

NOT CORRECT

If it looks like this you're doing it loving wrong.

If that's all correct, then your dust cover is probably rubbing against the bolt carrier.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

I think I'm doing it loving wrong. I think the part under the rear sight is crimped so I will need to fix that a bit to get it to fit in all the way. Thanks for the help and the super awesome photos!

You should take a photo of where you think it might be damaged with and without the dust cover in place.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

The latch started to slide in the dovetail much easier but now the spring didn't have enough tension in it to push the latch all the way back. I cut an 1.5" piece of metal rod and popped it into the bolt carrier and then popped the spring in. It seems to fit a lot better now. The end result is the dustcover no longer is able to be pulled off unless you use the little push button.

The latch still doesn't stick out as far as in Miso beno's photos but at least it will stay put during firing.

I'm not too keen on your spacer idea, I have some replacement AK parts including a whole new recoil assembly if you're interested.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

That is a very good point Mishaco. Anyone know what type of metal the bolt carrier is made out of? I think I could probably match it.

In theory you could go with a softer metal like aluminum so you're not beating everything to death, or better yet you could just use the correct parts.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

king of the bongo posted:

what is the best way to attach a vfg to an ak? I see that caa and tapco both make bottom railed poly fore-ends and that the tapco one has a metal heatshield. Only problem is the companies that produce them seem to not be recommended for parts. I don't need an optic rail nor the extra weight of a fully railed ar type of fore-end. I think I would like a heatshield because it does get hot up front but I haven't tried a fore-end without a heatshield so I don't know if I need one.

Sharkfin your ak up.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

On a random chance, do you have any spares I could buy or trade with you for something?

An arrangement can be reached if you wanna give a sharkfin a try.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Naramyth posted:

Cheek weld was the problem. It locked up tight, and wouldn't bend, and recoil was not bad at all, but I hated the (lack of)cheek weld. I want a folder AK, but I'll get one of the skeleton stocks I think.

Do you have a picture? I haven't seen one before.

Mishaco: The sharkfin is a reference to a cut down Romanian VFG.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

GENERAL INFORMATION:

I spoke with one of the owners of PW Arms at the SHOT Show and asked him about the billboards on their guns. It turns out that the ATF mandates that the import stamps be of a specific size on specific locations and of a specific depth. He also mentioned that he wishes he could hide the import stamps like they used to but they have to comply with what the government mandate.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh, color me corrected. I've never been able to find solid info on that.

If you end up talking to the guy again, see if you can get him to drop you a line with the location of that reg. I'd love to read it and see what it actually says.

Ah dammit that was intended for the Milsurp Megathread, and next time I bump into him I'll see if I can milk more info out of him.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mishaco posted:

I get real pleasure out of stripping down an aR. Especially the bolt/carrier. In some ways the aR15 platform is just neat like that.

I could use some eye balls ok?

I am going to get a flash hider for my drako pistol. It has 14mm threads and I want the flash hider to be as close to the one the romanians use (actually they have used 2 different styles that i know of on the drako).

CNC WArrior (google for site)
under their 'AK47' parts section has 3 drako style flash hider for sale.

They are called AIMR conical, AIMR modified, and AIMR flashhider/birdcage.

Which should i get? All are priced about the same, so that is not a concern.

I think the Conical AIMR looks kind of cool.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Action Jesus posted:

I kind of thought Draco/Drako AKs were something of a gimmick but like any rifle-as-pistol, go figure they make a pretty impressive (and ridiculous cheap) SBR platform:

Photos all taken from a draco thread on arfcom. $350 for the gun, $200 tax stamp, that's $550 for a registered SBR (price of whatever stock obviously isn't included but you're still at a very low price point)

Definitely creates a temptation.

Screw you. You guys are making me want to move to Oregon more and more.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Dammit I want a Coke you dorkasaurus.

(Don't lose your gun rights down there I'll be a very sad person if you do.)

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

DkHelmet posted:

From the SHOT show, via Firearms Blog: factory Arsenal SBRs.

I would like one, please.

They were pretty hot. PS: one of those is in 5.45, and the other is in 5.56.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

How much are they?
I didn't ask because I figured it was $$rape$$.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kommienzuspadt posted:

ahh thats true. i guess i meant "non-surplus" really. ATI makes steel mags, for example, and they aren't really worth the money either.

Yeah most U.S. aftermarket (all?) magazines are complete craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kommienzuspadt posted:

basically.

for the life of me i cannot understand why anybody would buy non surplus AK mags, unless they just really, really like cheap injected molded plastic..

DON'T BE TRASH TALKING MY PROMAGS THEYRE THE BEST EVER.

Except when they fall the gently caress apart, fail to feed, flat out don't work, and/or generally cause me to throw them at a wall. I kind of want to see how bad those TAPCO AK magazines are though.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kommienzuspadt posted:

they also look retarded fwiw.

You're always catching my ninja edits.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kommienzuspadt posted:

and youre catching mine

Oh now you're getting me all hot and bothered about molded seams and pleasure ribs.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kommienzuspadt posted:

all of which is like highly unnecessary on an AK (if you buy a good one)

A good AK generally has dimpled receivers.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kommienzuspadt posted:

they look nice and help in mag retention a little bit but they work fine without them though.

They also help with receiver strength and magazine wobble is just a little annoying.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Right now they're running around the $600 ballpark. You can go cheaper if you buy one without the optics (one of the big importers is selling them like that) but, honestly, what's the point in one of those without the scope.

In my own VERY limited experience shooting these the first round seems to go pretty much where you point it. They're not "match sniper rifle" accurate, but certainly up to the standard of your average AR15.

After that first shout, though. . . those barrels heat up FAST and your groups open up even faster. This really kind of makes sighting in the scope a bit of a bitch, because you really do need to shoot one shot then wait 5 minutes for the barrel to cool, like the fuddiest of benchresters out there. This dosn't sound too bad, but when you figure that it can sometimes take up to 3 or 4 groups of 3 shots each to get a scope dialed in right, a task that AR shooters get done in about 10 minutes ends up taking an hour or more.

I want one without an optic because the only reason I want one is for bump firing purposes.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 29, 2010

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Buy an SVT. Cooler and just as easy to bump.
It's hard on my SVT's wrist, my PSL isn't cheap, I hate cleaning my SVT, and bump firing a PSL is stupid easy.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Uncle Caveman posted:

Observation: I've never been able to bump 7.62x39 for more than a few rounds, but 5.45 holy poo poo it'll go for nearly an entire mag.

Hypothesis: You suck at the bumping.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kommienzuspadt posted:

sorry to beat a dead horse, but i also just realized that my glock has more mag wobble than my WASR :P

Unless your WASR's magazine well is as tight as a button that doesn't even begin make sense.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

BrainGlitch posted:

Miso Beno sells the complete left handed handle and modded dustcover for 100+shipping. I'm sure he could coach you through it also.

It involves lots of hammers, and if you just need the parts I have just the parts as well.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mishaco posted:

I thought the 'Gold' plated WASRs were even better and they even did gold Drakos and underfolders too.

I would so have a gold plated Drako.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

I like turtles posted:

I'd be OK with that too. If you've got a gold plated draco, though, you've gotta SBR it.

If only I lived in a free state.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Move an hour south.

Then get Mikerock to do the same thing.

You can upgrade your freedom and let him have your well-worn sub-freedom.

Can't afford freedom without a job.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

stangman posted:

Ugh park sucks. The only thing worse than park (as far as durability) is the chinese bluing, and I'd still rather have blued. Even the rommie junk is better. Any kind of gunkote or duracoat or modern finish is light-years ahead a park (and not just because park comes out gray, which sucks also). Even paint over park is better than park. God I hate gray parked AKs. /rant

Park is awesome but only if you keep it oiled, and only if it's done correctly. The problem is most companies use zinc phosphate, and they rush their poo poo through which results in a crappy grey finish that's not very abrasion resistant because they don't let it absorb oil. Park doesn't suck lovely companies that use the ease of parkerization as an excuse to half as a job suck.

That said, duracrap and good old fashioned paint suck the most.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

If you wanna go the sharkfin/donkey dick route. Here's some Sharkfinbait.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

B4Ctom1 posted:

cheaper (no hardware)
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/stkaka12.aspx

The extra $5 for the hardware is worth it.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

I forget who but someone said this looked like a groundhog but whatever, I'm going to post it again.

Man I should redo this when I get home.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kommienzuspadt posted:

lol

I only have MS Paint at work so the Ray Charles glasses look like complete rear end instead of regular old rear end. I shouldn't have wasted my time.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Why Tapco? WHY?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

parkieus posted:

It came on the gun when I purchased it. I plan on replacing it all with Krebs as soon as I can.

I am aware of the shittyness of Tapco. But it was the right price.

Oh I thought you intentionally put that on, carry on.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gotta stop that punishing recoil, huh?

Here's some stupid cheap wood. Totally worth it for just the buttstock.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/stkaka04.aspx

Also, comedy muzzle brake:

http://cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

I have a friend with CAI Built Yugoslavian under folder that refuses to cycle with Yugoslavian surplus ammunition. It's extracting just fine but when it goes to eject it shoves the brass into the op-rod and the round gets jammed into the top of the barrel.

I got the gun to function a little more reliably with a recoil spring and recoil buffer but it was still giving me issues when I ran it. The next time I see the gun I'm going to clean his gas port and swap some parts around but if anybody has any better ideas, I'm all ears.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sten Freak posted:

It could be the extractor. Even though it IS extracting it may not be holding on to the shell while it's slammed into the ejector, and instead is coming loose early.

-Inspect carefully the extractor for cleanliness and proper shape, wear etc., and see if the extractor spring feels strong. Maybe you could bring along a good bolt for comparison.

-Does the shell make it as far back as the ejector or not? It sounds not but if so look at the ejector for wear and proper shape and position, comparing to a good one if possible.

E: A partially blocked gas port could cause something like this I suppose. It could be short stroking. The Yugo I know is corrosive and maybe he missed the port on a previous shooting?

Unfortunately I don't know the history of the gun other than it's not brand new. It was his first time shooting it, but now that you mention it the extractor does sound like the most obvious issue. Of course I didn't bother to look at it, but I'll try to get the owner to get some photographs for me.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

ShaiHulud posted:

It never will shoot like a .22, and throwing dollars at it will never change that.

Buy a serious rifle instead. I love AK pattern rifles, but for shooting cardboard badguys I can't think of any reason to bling out an AK instead of just buying an AR.

What about my Izzy AK?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

foghorn posted:

My reason was I already had an AK

Well a Primary Arms MD-02 and an Ultimak = $130

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

WTFBEES posted:

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't buy this Bulgarian AK-74 from J&G?

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...74cbbcd8733b610

I was set on buying a Tantal for a while until I actually tried one and realized the folding stock was irredeemably terrible. This seems like the logical solution to that problem.
It may have a non-chrome lined bore? Although that doesn't bother you since you were considering a Tantal.