Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Well, I picked a hell of a time to sell my last two AKs. Those beautiful custom '74s...but they paid for my AR15.

On the optics question from the old thread, let me say, first page, that the Ultimak gas tube rail system is such a good idea for compact red dots(Aimpoint H1), the Russians recently stole it. Worth every penny, balances better than side mounts, and sturdy. If you need a magnified optic with a close eye relief, a side mount may be a better option.

Edit - Mishaco, this is an excellent thread. I applaud the work you put into making the first page complete and comprehensive.

Aquarium Gravel fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Mishaco posted:

poo poo, I'd just consider a 5.56 Vz.58 period...

I've played with the 5.56mm Vz.58 with translucent mags. It was nice, very slick...

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

I like turtles posted:

Paging Waffen Werks, Waffen Werks please.

We can do it, we just haven't done it to a production .54R for sale. Someday...

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

stangman posted:

5.45. Real Americans get krinks in 7.62x39 I'm doing a 107UR build but truth be told I would rather have 5.45x39

AIM and classic don't build anything. Troy Sellars and Inrange have been building AKs longer than I've been into them (at least 4-5 years). If you meant krinkfreak, he's been around equally as long and can be trusted 100%. They've done a lot of special edition rifles, back to when they were on ar15.com.

I can second this - I've seen Troy's work, He's local, stops by the shop every so often to chat with the boss. He builds nice AKs, though for custom gunsmithing, my money still all goes to Shannon Jennings.

Also, on another note, I like your new box thread, Bogon.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

televiper posted:

cheek weld

Yup. Underfolders blow if you actually shoot. I'll take a Bulgy triangle sidefolder or Arsenal polding polymer stock anyway.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

poopship posted:

To anyone who is planning on building an AK from a kit: Have a drill press. I just got through removing the rivets from the rear trunnion which took a few sessions and a few drill bits. Lessons learned:

You can't do everything with a dremel. Mine made a popping sound and started smoking and doesn't work anymore. I thought I could get away with the dremel + hobby press since I don't have room for a full drill press and it would just take longer. I went to using my hand held drill which went much better for the actual drilling since I could use slower speeds but I ended up not drilling straight. I also broke a bit off inside the trunnion which took a long, long time to retrieve and I dulled the poo poo out of another bit digging it out from the other side so I could punch it through.

This is not pretty or a quality job. Please tell me its still usable and the rivets will expand and cover up all my sins.

It's gonna be fine. I have salvaged rear trunions with much more de-mill damage. As long as the holes generally line up with the ones in the receiver, and the rivets will move freely through the trunion, you're GTG. I would like to know what you're going to use to set the heads, but as long as you didn't also open up the holes in the receiver somehow, you're gonna be ok.

Next time, you may not need a drill press(but it sure helps), but at the least grab a decent power drill for $20 at your local pawn shop and clamp the trunion in a vise to drill it. Dremels are for only the lightest of tasks.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

poopship posted:

To set the rivets I'm using a press and one of these:

http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29972

Oh yeah, you should be fine then. Just make sure it all lines up before you start, and press away.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

televiper posted:

Looks like I missed a spot

Scrub it up with a toothbrush, and oil it, or scrub it up, and hit it with some Krylon, cure it with a propane torch. It's just an AK.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

The Rat posted:

You know how Drake's initial posts on the AFG said something about how AK guys would like them? He was right, this thing rules.

I love seeing this AK - nice setup with the extended rail panel giving you forward hand real-estate. I agree about the AFG on an AK - I had mine strapped under my AK-54R's handguards for a day, and really wanted to break out a credit card and buy a set of rail handguards.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

People do use them in 3 gun - they're just never going to dominate competition at the higher levels. Even if you run an AK like Ignatius Piazza or Gabe Suarez, but you lose 2 whole seconds to a mag change, then that's a round lost to someone else who was just as good and ran a tricked-out AR15.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Propagandalf posted:

Got it. I've only seen goon loadouts and pictures from competitions, I never noticed anyone using them.

Well, anyone running an AK in competition, either

A.loves to shoot AKs more than anything else,

B.only owns an AK but is still shooting (probably casually) in a 3-gun competition, or

C. is trying to make a point about running an AK at high speed and doing it well. In other words, they're a minority.

The 12ga Saigas seem to currently rule the shotgun class, though - The faster reload of a mag versus a tube-fed shotgun, is worth the switch to running what amounts to a big AK pattern long gun in competition.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

The Automator posted:

I plan on running an AK when I can scrape money together to start shooting competition, but I'm doing it mainly as a training thing. I don't care that much about winning, tbqh.

It's a great way to improve. It pays to train under pressure. If you want to get better with an AK, go compete with one, I'm all for it.

When I still had an opportunity to shoot IPSC, I always used my carry pistol, holster and spare mag pouch. My course times sucked compared to the Open-class shooters, but I learned to draw and fire my own pistol while not wasting time. In competition, you'll learn stuff about using your firearm that you never would while standing in front of a target with your firearm on a table in front of you. You'll usually also find out what parts of your rifle/pistol/shotgun are gimmicky crap and don't actually help you to shoot faster or better.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Roadtard posted:

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the guy and I loved how he tries to break everything down into the simplest process he can. I just wished the dvd had a better production value you know? There are plenty of dvds about running ARs but is Gabe's stuff the only thing worth checking out for AKs?

If you want a modern AK technique, Suarez is pretty much what there is on tape, at the moment. The Magpul videos are the stark-contrast exception, the production values of most firearms instructional videos suck - by comparison or otherwise.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Mortal Sword posted:

There's also ATAC TV: http://firearms.atactv.com/

Web only, free vids, but higher quality than most DVDs, and they have an AK section. Jim Fuller does some of them, and he's one of the better AK armorers out there, and works closely with Suarez.

I hadn't seen this - thanks.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Fat Ogre posted:

The PWS comps are awesome but they are stupid loud. Like painfully loud if you just have in ear plugs.

Yup. I don't like anything that makes my AR15 louder. I'm a fan of the new Battle Comp, it's no louder than a standard A2 FH, but controls muzzle rise extremely well. I like mine. There's an AK version coming soon.

Aquarium Gravel fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 16, 2010

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

I like turtles posted:

Kushnapup is vaporware - been in "pre-order" stage for years now.

Mention it on the saiga-12 forums, you'll get a stream of pissed off people.

Yeah, but you gotta have a dream.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Just Joe posted:

TRIGGER CUSTOM ADJUSTABLE TO REGULAR AND HARE SETTING

KUSHNAPUP WEBSITE posted:

KUSHNAPUP LLC IS A COMPANY DESIGNED TO MEET YOUR ALTERNATIVE NEEDS WITHOUT COMPLICATIONS OR EXTENDED SERVICE WAITING TIME THAT OTHER COMPANIES WILL TAKE AWAY FROM YOU. WE HERE AT KUSHNAPUP ADHERE TO STRICT POLICY GUIDELINES TO FILL YOUR PRODUCT NEEDS THAT NO ONE ELSE WILL OFFER YOU.

What kind of alternative needs are we talking about here?

Seriously, the product looks neat, I've said so for a while, but the website makes it look like the skinny sunglasses guy in the trenchcoat slapped it together in 4 hours, and saved time by using caps lock, and not proofreading anything. Seriously, the FAQ page is riddled with grammar and spelling mistakes, it doesn't inspire confidence in their company, and by extension, their product.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Mechworrier posted:

Supposedly the ban has to do with the steel core aspect of surplus 5.45 so hopefully new production is safe

Yeah, it's a repeat of the Chicom 7.62x39 steel-core ammo ban for the 90's. Build a commercial pistol in a caliber(THANKS OLY ARMS), observe AP ammo becoming illegal.

We'll see how it shakes out - one, bi-metallic jacket is weak justification for a ban on the grounds that it's armor piercing, and two, one of the key parts of the Federal law it supposedly violates requires that it be around .22 caliber or larger, which the .21 caliber of a 5.45 round does not meet.

We'll see if any importer cares enough to take the Fed's unlimited legal resources to court over one type of cheap import 5.45x39 ammo, on the basis that they're not interpreting the law correctly.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

SnarkyProfessor posted:

I agree with the lion's share of your post, but I keep seeing people saying 5.45 is 0.21 caliber when a quick google search brings up results like this. It may be incorrect (it is admittedly way more technical than I have the knowledge to dispute), but I'm not seeing much actual support for a claim that 5.45 isn't at least 0.220 caliber and thus satisfies the second criteria the ATF is proposing it does. Land-to-land a barrel for 5.45 does seem to be under 0.22" but land-to-groove or groove-to-groove it isn't, and if the link I posted is right, "The bullet diameter is 0.2204"."

I'll concede that it's got a bullet diameter of .22x, as long as everyone else agrees it's smaller than the true measured bore diamter of .22LR or .223. But I am writing from memory, and you're correct, it measures .2204 not 21x - I was wrong. I was enticed by a memory of the name .21 Ghengis rather than factual recollection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Uncle Caveman posted:

Semiauto corrosive cleaning made easy:

Hose it down with
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HBM6KE/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_eD0ntb02BR6W2

Followed by the oil of your choice

Is cancer step 1.5 or step 2.5?