Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Death of Chivalry posted:

I think I'm doing it loving wrong. I think the part under the rear sight is crimped so I will need to fix that a bit to get it to fit in all the way. Thanks for the help and the super awesome photos!

Do you have a recoil buffer (Blackjack) installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

wood grain grippin posted:

This is pretty awesome for spot indentification.

Goddamn that explains a lot about 5,56 mags. Thank you!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Uncle Caveman posted:

Whoa!

1. Are they any good?
2. Can they be found in the US?

The SSG-82.

1. No, not really.
2. Yes. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168144216

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

I'm really happy with my SLR-106FR. It sucks at 75 gr ammo, though.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

What is the WASR-22 based off of?

What is its name back home?

Was it created purely for the civilian market?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Who makes 24 mm suppressors other than Red Stick?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SadWhaleFamily posted:

This is especially funny because salts are alkaline to begin with (...aren't they?), so to really "neutralize" the salt you'd want to use an acidic solution.

No, all salts aren't inherently alkaline--they're just ummm salty...

That's why he put quotes around it. Every time you say "neutralize the salts," a newbie puts Windex down his barrel.

SadWhaleFamily posted:

edit: Any chemists know what metallic salts were used in corrosive ammo? I'm asking my scientist girlfriend and she wants to know.

Potassium chlorate

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Arsenal stopped making AKs and went over to smoothbores:

They will also totally make you a drink:

It's the workers' Black Sea resort, one of the few remaining hotels for workers of major state enterprises, in Nessebar. The tobacco company had one next door.

Groda fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 16, 2011

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

You're risking a cyranopost about the solubility of metal in bog water...

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

CAT ON THE COUCH!! posted:

Oh man I was just trolling GB for the quad-stacks. That rules. I need a REBUILD KIT FOR MY PREVIOUSLY OWNED QUAD STACK MAGS

The quad-stack AK magazines played with were like 1 quart milk cartons. Even barehanded I could barely get a good hold on them.

I guess I'll get one if they come to the States, as a novelty, but if I want to feed several boxes of ammunition into my Kalashnikov at once, I'm definitely going with a drum.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah. All the parts are here, but they never get assembled into this. I mean, corned beef, rye bread, swiss cheese, and loving sauerkraut for christ sakes.

The terrible joke that I always make is that you need Jewish delis to do the final assembly and well . . .

Nebraska had like five Jews ever and one of them invented the reuben.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mishaco posted:

Russia, Romania, Belarus (part of the Russian federation still), and Ukraine all still use 5.45x39mm and are all trying to cut military costs as much as possible. I agree, i dont' see any of them surplusing modern production ammunition, but it does make since they might want to get rid of obsolete 1970s and 1980s stuff. The nations that had 5.45mm and are now no longer using it are Bulgaria, Poland, and East Germany. Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia never switched to it, along with Hungary.

Are you sure about Bulgaria using 5.45? I've been told they've still got a long way to go.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mishaco posted:

Interestingly, the Bulgarian military has bought new production 7.62mm AKs from Arsenal (bg) but not 5.45mm.
My bad. I'd assumed they were talking about 5.45x39, but that's what I'd been hearing--new production, old calibers.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

incredibull posted:

It would be easiest to tell by giving us the type of AK you have, but generally most AKM-type rifles are the 14x1 LH thread. The thread direction is pretty easy to see: if the threads move "upwards" to the left, it's a LH thread.

Or in other words:

LH: ///////
RH: \\\\\\\

Don't ever do this again.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sweet's has a poo poo-ton of ammonia in it, and ammonia likes to eat chrome.

What's that chemical reaction?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mishaco posted:

I can also say this, the new guy handling sales/customer service is polite and pleasant. The guy before him wasn't bad either but had no sense of humour. The new guy you can talk with and crack jokes with. He feels more human and workable. Still, i do miss the thick Hungarian and Bulgarian accents that used to greet you when you called K-Var 10 years ago.

I have personally heard the Bulgarian words for "that crazy Armenian."

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anything I'm missing from that? I'm pretty sure that, right there, would keep a gun clean and lubricated and cost under $25 for the whole bunch. Maybe $30.

Molybdenum disulfide grease--does it have any place in guns?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

B4Ctom1 posted:

Come on Kvar, you are really missing the boat on this one. Fellate your Bulgarian buddies to start cranking them out for us. I don't even care if they wont pass the dropped loaded from a 5 story building/run over loaded by a T-72 test.

They're actually laying off people nowadays.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Heintron posted:

Question. I need to get hold of 7.62x39 without any steel core of any kind.

Any barnaul or wolf ammo out there that is just regular lead with copper jacket fmj? Atm I have access to tula surpluss stuff only.

Edit: well apparently it is a bimetal jacket over lead core. = a thin layer of a steel jacket beneath a copper jacket. Should be ok since I need ammo that does not have a steel core.

http://www.vapex.se/eshop/index.php?cPath=265_266_548_448

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Heintron posted:

In the shooting community there are a lot of immigrants and females.

Are the other two immigrants also Americans?

Seriously, three years in Huddinge (including winters), and I saw one group of non-Swedes that entire time. The U.S. Embassy's military attaché doesn't count.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Heintron posted:

I went shooting with a tiny Indian dude the other day for example (he loves Warsaw length stocks). You should visit Solna. We have a lot of immigrants

Check your PMs SMS...

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

moosepoop posted:

I met a cool old guy yesterday that worked for the Swedish military and was responsible for the Swedish variant of the FN FNC we use.

Apparently he wanted the Swedish military to use a Galil variant when we had trials for which rifle to replace the G3 we used earlier. He still likes the AK platform best and we had a nice talk about how bad rear end the ak platform is

FFV 890?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

gimpsuitjones posted:

At least one bushmaster comes to mind

wait what?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

MG13 magazine?

They're also good for making gently caress-off Ag m/42 magazines.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

E2M2 posted:

This is pretty cool:

https://combatmachine.net/more-ak-blueprints/

Straight up AK blueprints

This is about my favorite thing this month.

Have non-reverse-engineered blueprints reached the internet before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Steeltalon posted:

I think they've just been unavailable for a good amount of time due to military contract fulfillment. They weren't shipping out commercial builds.

From what I've heard from Dutchmen, Arsenal of Bulgaria (not Arsenal of Las Vegas) has simply stopped with the civilian market entirely for the foreseeable future.

I don't know if they're shipping their sporterized AK's to 992(r)istan.