Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Jesus, I wish I had never searched for that /a/ thread you quoted.

Apparently, if you see your brother getting the poo poo kicked out of him on a regular basis/for years on end you shouldn't help him cause it'll just emasculate him.

I do agree that the Sanae fight was probably more of a vehicle for backstory than anything else, or as a way for Natsuo to become even more mentally hosed up.

But man, this series is so good. I can't get over how much I enjoy seeing what a hosed up person Natsuo is and at the same time feel ridiculously sad for her. That double page of her crying/her brother's words mirroring her's from the first chapter hit me kinda hard.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Jesus, I wish I had never searched for that /a/ thread you quoted.

Apparently, if you see your brother getting the poo poo kicked out of him on a regular basis/for years on end you shouldn't help him cause it'll just emasculate him.

From what we've seen from flashbacks, I think this is partly what her brother thinks

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Looks like the next chapters are going to be shorter, but after this adrenaline rollercoaster of a fight I think a bit of a cooldown is needed.

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."
Probably my favourite part of this comic is the motivations that come from the side characters.

It's nice to see a martial arts ANYTHING (movie, comic, cartoon, series, whatever) where the coaches aren't -just- Mr Good-Guy Miyagi and Kobra Kai Jerky McFuckbag.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Apropriate music for this chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwBH3Fj1zSc

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Apropriate music for this chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwBH3Fj1zSc

So does that mean we're getting a "Burning Hearts" montage?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Suben posted:

That was... kind of bullshit actually.

It's actually getting kind of shoneny that she basically just keeps winning via ~NATURAL TALENT~ which means she just does something and somehow it works.

It was a bit of a generic mid-fight power-up, yeah. Certainly not the worst example I've ever seen, but it was a little too convenient to suddenly regain mental clarity in the middle of an MMA fight after taking some pretty huge hits. Still, it's not out of her character to be able to do the things she did at the end of the chapter, it was more like she had been muddled and caught up in her problems but broke out of it. Or maybe just repressed them again. It was also clear that Sanae wasn't going to finish her off without pounding her as much as possible, so it gave her the time to recover.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
New Chapter

This chapter owns, this manga owns, Ganeko owns!!!

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
That cover owns, I want Natsuo to start wearing that hat all the time

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Any scene with Cameron Diaz is a good scene.

I wonder if the ~FIN~ at the end of Sanae's scene means they're out of the story for good now, assuming that the manga ends with or shortly after this tournament.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In a surprising move next month's Teppu will be moving from Good! Afternoon to being published in Tsubomi.

Scrree posted:

This chapter owns, this manga owns, Ganeko owns!!!
She really does. Love all the facial expressions from everyone as always too.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

a kitten posted:

In a surprising move next month's Teppu will be moving from Good! Afternoon to being published in Tsubomi.

So Ganeko is the focus of the manga now? :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm no expert, but isn't therapy looked down on in Japan? Or maybe it was that mental illnesses like depression in such are considered fake and just an excuse to slack off so you just need to bootstrap harder, something like that, I dunno.

Yeah, it's looked down on a lot in Japan/Korea (maybe China also?). Which is why the Korean webcomic "Dr. Frost" is good/worthwhile. By itself it's just okay, but in the broader context of Korean society it's a really great thing that has probably lead to many people seeking help who wouldn't have otherwise.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I think Sanae losing because she suddenly turned into an idiot and backed off (why?) is actually worse than Natsuo winning via bullshit "oh I read your body language and managed a lucky counter". The last two chapters kind of soured me a bit because what should've been a huge, dramatic fight (and maybe should've happened down the road) kind of ended as a wet fart.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Suben posted:

The last two chapters kind of soured me a bit because what should've been a huge, dramatic fight (and maybe should've happened down the road) kind of ended as a wet fart.

I think the author must be a huge fan of Kill Bill Volume 2.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
It seemed like weird poo poo like "emotions" and "personal history" played some strange part and made these people not act perfectly rationally.

Okay, it wasn't as climactic as some wanted and that's a fair complaint (ish) but it's also part of what Natsuou is about. A huge part of her strength simply comes from getting under peoples skin and making them act irrationally. It's why Eyebrows is a such a potent rival as well, she isn't bothered by our girl like most people are.

Ganeko is the best, by the way.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I thought it was refreshing to see Sanae having a conversation without the killer stare for once. Made it even more apparent that the only villains in this story is Natsuo and her brother.
Even if they're victims too. And Sanae not finishing Natsuo off is consistent with her character. Like in their previous fight, Sanae isn't really out to destroy Natsuo, just to teach her a lesson the only way she knows. It's clear she has no idea why Natsuo turned into an rear end in a top hat and it confuses and frustrates her :smith:

That outfit on the cover is awesome, by the way.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 9, 2014

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Carmen San Diego is going to kick your rear end. And then gloat. And probably kick you when you're down.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Renoistic posted:

I thought it was refreshing to see Sanae having a conversation without the killer stare for once. Made it even more apparent that the only villains in this story is Natsuo and her brother.

Nah, eyebrows girl's dad is a villain. Dude is using people and crushing their dreams and whatnot in extremely unnecessary ways. Also he had that one dude throw the fight against his daughter and then was an rear end in a top hat to him for losing later.

(It has been so long since I read this that I can't remember any names. I should reread it sometime.)

Sanae's coach is kind of a dick too, really, given the lines he had about Natsuo before/during their fight, but he's also funny. Especially with that huge grin he has constantly.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Yeah, I forgot about the dad. He's the archetypical "dad obsessed about his child's career" character. Having his daughter fight a man on live television says it all, really. No matter the outcome.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
I thought they were dropping hints that when the dad was trash talking the other guy, they were both deliberately playing it up WWE-style to increase public interest in some kind of grudge rematch?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Green Bean posted:

I thought they were dropping hints that when the dad was trash talking the other guy, they were both deliberately playing it up WWE-style to increase public interest in some kind of grudge rematch?

It's both. They were playing it up but Mario's still kind of a dick and Takenaka doesn't particularly like him.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
New chapter nerds.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Pac Duna did nothing wrong. But really, how lovely is her coach not to check the tournament rules?

And the parade of girls that just need to sit down talk with someone continues.

Popo fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 20, 2014

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Disappointed that we didn't get to see creepy punch me face during the ground and pound. Next time, I guess.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Popo posted:

And the parade of girls that just need to sit down talk with someone continues.

Teppu: violence is therapy.

Interesting that it's Ringi calling her creepy now. I thought she was just was just another happy fighting idiot like eyebrows.

So do we think she ended up getting Nanoha'd or what?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I say this every chapter but Cameron Diaz is consistently the greatest.

What I really wanna know though is what's going through Mario's head. Dude seemed pretty different in the flashback, but half of the reason might just be that he doesn't have to put up a show when he's not on a public stage promoting two of his prize fighters.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Autonomous Monster posted:

Interesting that it's Ringi calling her creepy now. I thought she was just was just another happy fighting idiot like eyebrows.

Yeah, now I'm wondering what the relationship between Ringi and Eyebrows is really like. Did they patch it up and become best buds over the years, or does Ringi still think Eyebrows is kinda creepy?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I want a bowl of acai now. Store should be open at the moment.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Haha, this series is so great at showing how hosed up martial arts shounen are if you actually look at the genre. Holy poo poo this is just great.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
I think it would break Natsuo's heart to learn that Yuzuko was actually just as hosed up as she is.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

a cartoon duck posted:

What I really wanna know though is what's going through Mario's head. Dude seemed pretty different in the flashback, but half of the reason might just be that he doesn't have to put up a show when he's not on a public stage promoting two of his prize fighters.

Nine years of him being undefeated, his daughter being undefeated, and his basically adoptive daughter being undefeated can understandably do quite a bit for a man's ego. Even offstage he seems to have reached the point of considering every victory a matter of "when" rather than "if".

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, now I'm wondering what the relationship between Ringi and Eyebrows is really like. Did they patch it up and become best buds over the years, or does Ringi still think Eyebrows is kinda creepy?

I think there's obviously some bad blood between them, between the flashback and how it seems like half the scenes with them and a third party (Mario, Natsuo, etc.) is Ringi being annoyed/jealous at everyone focusing on Yuzuko and ignoring her. Whether their relationship is "reluctantly friendly rivals" or "resignation after spending nine years futilely trying to beat the brokenness out of Yuzuko" is still up in the air, I guess.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I also didn't realize elbows were banned :v:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
New Teppu Chapter is out http://mangafox.me/manga/teppuu/v06/c026/1.html

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Oh, so Animexis is still on this then. Next chapter is a pretty amusing 10 page omake thing, so hopefully that won't take them too long.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The last two chapters have had me confused trying to figure out what people think is so off with Yuzuko.

Given this chapter I think it's because she's just genuinely innocent and interested in MMA as opposed to people like Mario and Natsuo who are very aggressive. She's the kind of person who doesn't give up even though she realizes that there is a gap between her performance and those around her, especially in a sport where physical aptitude is a very real barrier preventing people from moving up in ranking and status. It's that honesty that makes some people see her as creepy and others to want to crush her.

Edit: I still don't get what she is missing though. Is it just talent or aptitude she lacks? Because she has determination in spades.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 8, 2014

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
They've realized she's a Shonen protagonist. People in real life feel frustrated or angry with themselves or others when they aren't good at something that's important to them. She does not. That's what makes her creepy.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That makes so much sense. Ringi is the rival character who clearly outclasses the protagonist but over time forms a bond with them. Natsuo is the antagonist dead set on crushing that youthful optimism and (hopefully) fails and learns some valuable lesson about kindness and friendship or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I sure hope not given this isn't a shounen manga. I really have no interest in friendship conquering all crap in a series like this.

• Locked thread