Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

McCracAttack posted:

-This manga flips every trope and stereotype around. It's almost like reading the average sports manga from the other side. The main character is naturally talented, bored because nobody can challenge her, and she gets into the sport for all the wrong reasons but still manages to have a pretty good work ethic. A lot of the supporting characters in her gym are drawn like the throw away villains in most other sports mangas. It's delicious.

This is the main thing that hooked me. I'm not very involved in the personalities or goals or anything of any of the characters yet as it's fairly short, but this so far has been enough for me to keep reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Heck she might just go out with some dude and crush his hopes and dreams. "Nah, this was boring, thanks for dinner though. Bye."

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Serious Frolicking posted:

Natsuo isn't even really a villain.

She would be in a stereotypical fighting manga, due to not being bright eyed and positive, and so on.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Sindai posted:

Her friend not taking any of Natsuo's poo poo during lunch was the best part.

I'll second this, that was great.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I was ready to be upset over another bump of the thread but!!! New chapter! That was good.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
After this chapter I actually thought she might be a sadist rather than a masochist. She likes to hit people/etc thus why her parents were looking for a less violent martial art. Getting hit doesn't bother her either so... sadomasochist? I don't think it's sexual in nature or anything though (that'd be creepy but in a different way)

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

a cartoon duck posted:

Pointing out that Cameron Diaz is the best is my job, dude.

At this point I really want Eyebrows to lose just to see what that'd do to Natsuo. She's projecting harder and harder on her with every chapter, having someone else best the girl she's setting up as the platonic ideal of everything wrong with her life would certainly shake her up at the very least.

Having the 'hero' lose while the 'rival' moves forward through the tournament is a fairly common occurance in sports stories like these, and it'd be interesting to see it happen here. (Of course Eyebrows would be the hero of the story, if told traditionally...)

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

DrSunshine posted:

It's pretty telling that in her dreams, she's skinny and thin, and in fact smaller than her brother. That's how she sees herself, ideally. That's what really feels disturbing about it.

I'm not sure that's how she sees herself so much as how she wishes she was. Far more 'normal' and being happy and satisfied with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Rexides posted:

Also the scariest part of Natsuo's perfect dream world is not that she is a "perfect little sister", but that she views a complete lack of agency as something positive.

I am reading it more as 'why can't I be happy like that' because at current she's really not one to deal positively with a lack of agency I think.

• Locked thread